Testing for Downs syndrome
options

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 my4beautifulboys

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hi  Ihave just got my Bfp, very exciting. Abit of a history, i have 3 healthy boys, i had my first at 33, then 35, 37, and then i sadly had 3 recurrent and unexplained m/c. So if all goes well this time i will want testing to see all is ok. I believe that they do the Nt scan as routine now at 10 weeks, then there is a an amnio and antoher test cant think of what its called right now?

I was just reading up on the web and came across a site saying that a blood test is available for DS testing, is that right or not, or isnt available in Australia yet?

I would be happy to hear youre thoughts please?

Eta; i am nearly 41 and Dh is 43, so it does put us in a higher risk category, i think its about 1/41 change, which is fairly high.

Edited by my3beautifulboys, 06 February 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#2 TillyTake2

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

I have never had the testing but I think it is a combined blood test & scan done between 11&13 weeks.

#3 babyinabackpack

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

With the NT they normally do a combined scan and bloods.

BUT there is a new test they can do that is just bloods and is apparently even more accurate than an Amnio but completely risk free.
I'm based in Taiwan and it is offered over here, and I think in Europe and Canada, but from questions I posted on here and also some I asked friends back home there, noone in Australia seems to have heard of it yet.
We didn't get it done as it was crazy expensive (about $700! compared to just $30 for the NT and bloods).

Good luck!

#4 Missy Shelby

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

With all of my pregnancies I have had this testing, I think it has been available for quite a long time in Australia.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/b...serum_screening

The link above should give you a bit more info.

#5 HGL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yepp, Downs is now tested with a blood test at 10 weeks and a scan at 12 weeks. They combine the blood test results with the scan results and give you a
'probability' of Downs. Note this is just a screening test, not a diagnostic test. If probability returns high they may suggest a CVS or amnio. I think an CVS is done around 13-14 weeks and amnio at 15 weeks. CVS and amnio is diagnostic tests and does give you a definite result. However there is a risk of miscarriage with CVS & amnio. HTH

#6 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

I had DS in May at the age of 37. I had the NT test at 12-13 weeks and if the outcome showed high risk for Downs, I'd be offered the amnio. I don't recall any other test being discussed.
I have a sibling with Downs so I had genetic counselling in both my pregnancies, I only recall NT and amnio.
Will try and dig out paperwork from the genetic counsellor and have a look through it for you.

ETA- CVS... completely forgot about that!

Edited by starboard, 06 February 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#7 Tamzin1984

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

There is a new blood test available which I think is performed around 16ish weeks from memory (read about it in a magazine only recently..).  The theory is that they've worked out that some of babies cells actually leak into mum's circulation, so they aim to detect those cells and perform genetic testing on those cells.  Obviously, because it is just performed on a blood test from mum, there is no risk to the baby like an amniocentesis or a CVS.  It is not 100% foolproof, but gives a much higher certainty than just the NT scan and usual bloods.  From memory I think it costs around $2000 as the samples have to be sent overseas for analysis, and it can only be collected at certain hospitals/facilities as the samples have to be processed in a particular way.

Edited by Tamzin1984, 06 February 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#8 HereComesSun

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I think this is the new test you're talking about (not yet readily available in Australia):    http://www.australiandoctor.com.au/news/au...n-syndrome-test

#9 Tamzin1984

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Found the article, its in the latest Cosmo Pregnancy magazine.

Test can be performed as early as 10wks.

#10 silver-rain

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

I recently went through this process with my current pregnancy as my combined serum test and NT scan came back with a high risk result. I'm not sure if you can request further testing if your results come back low risk, but maybe chat to your treating physician?
There was no blood test mentioned to me at the time, only the CVS and amnio, but according to recent studies and the paperwork I was given about the procedure, the risk of m/c following an amnio is actually no higher than the risk of m/c without the amnio, I think the current stats are 1 in 200 after 13 weeks of pregnancy. No sure about the CVS, we didn't go down this path.

Good luck , OP, congrats on your 4th little blessing, hope all goes well!

#11 item

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I happen to have had a conversation with a perinatologist friend recently and yes, the blood test screening is now available. It doesn't have the same % certainty as CVS or amnio, but obviously is lower risk.

Try SUFW.

Edited by in(s)ane, 06 February 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#12 my4beautifulboys

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for youre replies, i know that the Nt scan which is a blood test and a combined scan which is only a screening test, it doesnt tell you for sure if you are carring a DS baby or not? That s the one the CVS was the other one i was thinking about, as well as the Amniocentesis, which are both invasive and do have a risk of m/c, but are accurate.

Oh really it sounds like the blood test one i read about isnt available in Aus yet then, $2000 thats very expensive. babyinabackpack; you said it was $700, where do you get that test done then?

Tamzin1984; i dont read that magazine, it sounds like it could be the same link as HereComesSun posted? You said its done at 10 weeks, is that is Austalia or overseas? Thanks

#13 Bunsen the feral

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

If you are in Sydney the new blood test is done through RPA and sent to the US for analysis - I believe it costs around $2000. I assume your GP or OB would be able to refer you.

#14 my4beautifulboys

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Thankyou all for sharing, and thankyou siver-rain for youre congratulations, yes we re very excited and hope it all goes well this time.

in(s)ane; thanks, oh really is it now available to us, could you please let me know how i find out more information about it, and who to go to , is it only certain clinics that do the test. What is SUFW?

ETA; Sorry i should have though of that, i just googled it, a womens clinic in Sydney. I actually live in W.A, but i imagine my Gp would know of it, or could put me in contact with a clinic that does.

Edited by my3beautifulboys, 06 February 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#15 item

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (my3beautifulboys @ 06/02/2013, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually live in W.A, but i imagine my Gp would know of it, or could put me in contact with a clinic that does.

It might be worth calling SUFW or RPA and asking a bit about it.  It may be that if the test isn't available in Perth, your blood could still be collected and channelled through a clinic in another state.

Congratulations, and best wishes for a lovely pregnancy.

#16 Tamzin1984

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

I would suggest speaking to your obstetrician about it.  The article said that RPA is the only public hospital that currently offers the service, but a range of private hospitals are also able to do it.  If your OB isn't able to help you then as in(s)ane says, give RPA a ring and discuss it with them.

#17 againagain

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Why don't you send a message to the ladies in this thread, this sounds like the new test people are talking about.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...owtopic=1047173

#18 my4beautifulboys

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Thankyou all so much for youre best wishes and for sharing youre thoughts. I'm not able to make an appointment to see my Gp until the 25th Feb, as he is away. But when i do i'll ask him about the special blood test, and in the meantime i might make some inquires myself, and perhaps ring Rph in Perth, like you suggested, or SUFW clinic.

Thanks againagain for the link to the other post, i will send a message in that post.

#19 babyinabackpack

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (my3beautifulboys @ 06/02/2013, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
babyinabackpack; you said it was $700, where do you get that test done then?

I didn't end up having it done, but it was offered to me for around that price here in Taiwan where I am currently living.
I had never heard of it and couldn't find much information about it so we decided not to get it done.

#20 Rolex

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

Congratulations!  I was so happy to read this from you, OP.  Very happy for you that you've fallen pregnant again so soon after your last MC.  I also have 3 boys, and had 3 consecutive MC before this pregnancy, and thankfullly all is well this time.  I have everything crossed for you that all goes perfectly for you with this one as well.  Good luck!

#21 Natttmumm

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

I think your chances maybe higher based on age but after the screening you could get much lower chances. You could just do the screen which is bloods and ultrasound and see.
If you are concerned you can do an amino or cvs. I have had an amino and it wasn't an easy decision as there is a risk of miscarriage. I was told at the. Place we did it risk was 1 in 400 but I had to wait until over 16 weeks and full results took 2 weeks. So all up it was 18 weeks before we could relax.
Not something I'd go through if the screen came out with good results.

#22 my4beautifulboys

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Rolex; thankyou for youre kind words and best wishes, i was quite surprised to fall pregnant again so soon after my m/c, i really hope all goes well this time and we can add one more little one, #4 to our family. Oh thats wonderful news, im so happy that youre pregnant with #4 as well, i hope that you have a trouble free pregnancy and are able to enjoy it. When are you due? my due date will be early October.

Natttmumm Thankyoufor sharing, yes i think that my chances will be higher being older, i chose not to have the Nt scan and blood test with my other 3, i was 37 when DS #3 was born, so i havnt really got anything to compare with. I can imagine that it must of been very stressful choosing whether to have further testing or  not, i m glad to hear that you had good results. I imagine my Gp will arrange for me to have the Nt scan done and hopefully i wont need further testing, i dont think it would like to have that done. Best wishes

original.gif

Edited by my3beautifulboys, 07 February 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#23 Rolex

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

Thanks OP.  I'm due 1st July - almost half way now!

Again, best of luck, I will keep everything crossed for you.  First trimester after loss is always anxious, but take it easy as much as you can!

#24 my4beautifulboys

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hi Rolex, thats wonderful news, i hope that you enjoy the last few months and all goes well.

Thankyou, i will try. Its always really hard getting throught the first few weeks, i'm feeling alot better this time with a few symptoms i didnt have before, so hopefully thats a good sign.

#25 envs

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

It's a blood test performed from 12 weeks. The sample is sent to Singapore/other Asian country, is supposed to be 99% accurate, from a run of over 70,000 results.

It costs about $1,300. It is supposed to be a fair bit more accurate than CVS or amnio. As it is non-invasive it reduces the risk of ruptured membranes, can detect other genetic abnormalities, and results take about 14 days

The website is igenescreen.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Single, pregnant - and 51

She first became a mum at 49 - now, two years later, Tracey Khan is pregnant with her second child.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.