ultrasound ruined

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Ive had numerous ultrasounds throughout my pregnancy due to diabetes and high BP.

Today Im 34+3 and during my growth scan the sonographer said he's going to be a tall boy. We don't know the sex so i said wait what, did you say he because you saw? He said no i didnt look, it was too squishy to tell anyway and i just say he out of habit.

I have looked during previous ultrasounds and i have yet to see a penis. At the last ultrasound i could have sworn i saw what looked like a hamburger but now Im thinking that maybe it was a scrotum, but i haven't seen a penis and at my 19 wk scan thought i briefly saw 3 lines.

Ive googled and i can't find an image of what i saw.

Im really upset that he may have ruined it. To the point where i want to ask at my ultrasound next wk what the sex is.

Could you see a hamburger in your late ultrasounds and did you have a girl?

#2 lynneyours

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

I know a few ultrasound chicks personally, and they all have a gender they always say - so it may have been true - just a better word that "it".
You don't know for certain, and it is definitely either a boy or a girl!  And you don't have long to go to find out, so I'd just leave it for a surprise.

hugs.

#3 Starrydawn

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Stop looking if you don't want to know. He might just refer to them all as he. Quite often they will just assign a gender.

Do you want a girl? It seems you are upset it may be a boy when you thought otherwise. Just ask if you want to know or let it go till birth.

#4 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

If you don't want to know stop looking at the ultrasounds and take the tech at his word. He probably said boy for sexist reasons due to tallness.  

#5 ~sydblue~

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

All the ultrasounds I had, they referred to bub as he. Then with DD8yrs and the last one, the technician asked if we wanted to know. It turned out he was actually a she.

#6 bikingbubs

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

he probably didnt look.  like PP said, lots just choose a particular gender and stick to it.
if you dont want to know, why are you analysing past ultrasounds and googling what you think you saw?

#7 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (Chedasha @ 06/02/2013, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stop looking if you don't want to know. He might just refer to them all as he. Quite often they will just assign a gender.

Do you want a girl? It seems you are upset it may be a boy when you thought otherwise. Just ask if you want to know or let it go till birth.

Have to agree with this. It comes across as though you are upset about having a boy when you wanted a girl. Happy and healthy is all you need to worry about.

Edited by kriattica, 06 February 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#8 Eirinn

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

It isn't ruined, because you still don't know.

I had to have a third trimester ultrasound in one of my pregnancies, and I think it gets harder to tell, because yes, everything is squished. That is why they do the morphology scan around 20 weeks, because that is when you can see all the individual bits most clearly.

#9 MrsLexiK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

The Dr that did my 20 week scan referred to it as a he, I was told by my OB and his midwife that he would most likely refer to it as a he.  We couldn't tell what it was and he skimped over the area anyway.  My OB has said " I'm not going to look but I may refer to it as a sex"

#10 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

I have 3 boys... I desperately want a girl.

I was pretty sure I'd seen girl parts, but had the thought in my head of what I would do if it is a boy. How I would feel etc.

I guess I didn't want to know for sure and I had an inkling based on previous ultrasounds (I had no pictures btw, just going off what I saw at the time).

Now no matter what I think I think it's a boy. I wish I'd said at the start that I didn't know or he had said ill refer to it as xyz but don't take that as me knowing.

#11 JoMarch

If you don't want to know, just let it be.  You don't really know what sex your baby is, the Sonographer may just not like calling babies "it".  Some people feel that way.  I don't understand what finding out at the next scan is going to achieve?

#12 EssentialBludger

OP, I could have written your post word for word 8 years ago!!

I had a 37w ultrasound for something or other, and the technician must have said "he" about 100 times!

I burst into tears and cried "I didn't want to know the sex!!!" He seemed to to the backpeddle with "Oh... I call them all he's..."

FWIW, I had a girl!

#13 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I switch between he and she because I feel weird saying it.

It's also my last chance for a surprise and I'm disappointed in myself because I thought I'd dealt with the fact that it may well be another boy.

#14 Mine Site Wife

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Myself and DH have absolutely no idea what we are having (and couldnt care less - happy and healthy is the aim) but we still both refer to the baby as HE no idea why but so much nicer than 'it'. My parents have also started to call the baby He as well so I think you may be reading far too much into what he said. My Girlfriend refers to the baby as she so realistically I think people just assign gender to avoid it biggrin.gif

#15 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Also at the beginning of the ultrasound he was saying yes that's baby's head and that's baby's belly, then he did the legs and said the tall boy thing.

#16 Soontobegran

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Doesn't mean a thing OP.
So many people would rather just pick a gender and say he/she. I hate calling a baby 'IT' so I think I have often said either he/she not really knowing what the baby is.

Try to convince yourself now that you don't know anymore than you did when you went into your U/S.

#17 Madnesscraves

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Oh sweetie sad.gif it's not fun when they ruin that for you.

Ignore those people who tell you to be happy it will be be a healthy child. It's not about that. I'd be pretty upset if the surprise had been ruined too.

You're not far off now. Try hold off finding out. I honestly think you'll be happy whatever it will be once the baby arrives. You may be sad if it turns out to be a boy, but you'll be ok with it.

By the way. Sonographer always comment how long DD was in the ultrasounds original.gif

Edited by Madnesscraves, 06 February 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#18 Natttmumm

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Exactly the same thing happened to us. But....it ended up being a girl. We were shocked as it happened on a few scans.
I do think they just say a gender sometimes.
I think you still don't know but if a another boy would be upsetting then maybe find out

#19 Bomber girl

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

My midwife told me she refers to all babies as 'he' as the mother is always 'she'. There is a 50/50 chance it could be a he

#20 Peppery

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

The sonographer also referred to my baby as a he instead of an it. I also referred to the baby as he rather than it or the baby during my pregnancy.

I have a DD

#21 TillyTake2

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

FWIW I could EASILY have seen the difference between a hamburger & a scrotum/penis with DS. When I asked the ob who did a quick scan at 16 weeks how sure he was he laughed & said CERTAIN & then pointed out a VERY clear scrotum & penis lol

#22 chickenpants

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

We called my DS 'it' throughout my pregnancy, like, all the time.

It seriously took me a few weeks to call him 'he' or 'him' after he was born, I was so used to referring to him as an it.

"I'd better change it's.. I mean his.. nappy."
"It's hungry, better feed it.. err, him."
"[store] was having a sale, I bought it a shirt!"

When we referred him as an it during the ultrasounds the technician snickered a little.  She referred to him as 'Baby' or 'The Baby'.

#23 lozzylots

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

I had a 35 week scan. We already knew DD was a girl but asked jokingly if she was still a girl at that scan, however the sonographer said she couldn't tell at that stage because it was too cramped to get a good look

#24 PonyoLand

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

The tech said "she" for mine (we didn't want to know) & I was a bit disappointed to have found out when we didn't want to. I didn't tell my DH cause it was the one ultrasound he missed and I wanted him to still have a surprise. In the end, I have a DS original.gif Apparently it was true when she said she referred to them all as "she"

#25 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

I doubt the sonographer looked at the sex if they were doing a growth scan so late in pregnancy. I had a growth scan with DS late in pregnancy and she just checked him and the amniotic fluid and left it at that.

If it helps I do get pink vibes for you. Not long to go until you find out for sure. original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Let Australians adopt our children': asylum seekers

Pregnant asylum seekers on Christmas Island begged to have their children adopted by Australians as they became anxious about their future, new reports have revealed.

The moment I knew our family was complete

It?s funny how in a few short years you can change from desperately hoping you conceive to desperately hoping you don?t.

Should bars offer free pregnancy tests?

Researchers have placed free pregnancy tests in bar restrooms in an American state, hoping it will help raise awareness of foetal alcohol syndrome. Would it work here?

Parenting a crier

There are many reasons that babies cry, but there are certainly babies that cry more than others. They're the ones who let you know how they?re feeling by crying - a lot.

Buzz takes Elias to infinity and beyond

Elias Anderson was left disappointed after a lack of knowledge about disabled access meant he didn't get to see his hero when his mum took him to watch Disney on Ice. But now a private meeting has put a huge smile on the 11-year-old's face.

HECS-style loan suggested as alternative to paid parental leave

While Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme is looking unlikely, a prominent think tank has created an alternative suggestion.

Photos: Two dads meeting their newborn

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Introducing the million-dollar baby

Juke is only three weeks old, but he's joined a generation of children whose education costs could reach $1 million by the time they finish university.

The honour and heartbreak of rural midwifery

You never know what to expect when a baby is being born, but it's an honour to be there.

Does birth order influence our relationships?

New research indicates those born first stand a better chance of landing a loving, long-term relationship than their siblings. But is it for real, or just something fun to think about?

Late-night childcare not needed, parents say

The plan for childcare centres to operate around-the-clock is neither practical nor in demand, according to a nationwide survey.

Get the kids in the kitchen with cool play food sets

Show your little one how to eat healthily, even while they pretend!

The friend everyone needs on their first day of preschool

A little girl in Taiwan was homesick on her first day of preschool, but her friend was the perfect gentleman.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Help! My toddler is a head-banger

When he throws a tantrum, my 20-month-old often gets down on the floor and starts banging his head. What should I do?

Groom wows bride with Beyonce dance routine

A video of a "Crazy in Love" groom doing a coreographed dance with his groomsmen at his wedding has gone viral.

The carers who calm babies born with drug addictions

A special team of volunteers helps newborn babies who have withdrawal symptoms due to their mothers? opiate use.

Second time lucky: conceiving naturally after IVF

One in three Australian women who have their first baby with the help of assisted reproductive technologies, such as IVF, fall pregnant again without treatment within two years.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

Your new motherhood manifesto

There?s an ocean of literature about all manner of things relating to parenthood, but there?s not a lot written about how to survive and thrive as a mother. Here are my tips.

Great gender reveal cakes

The idea is simple: get the ultrasound tech to write your baby's gender on card in a sealed envelope, then pass it on to your baker for them to create a cake with blue or pink icing inside. Then host a gender reveal party to cut the cake!

Second time lucky: conceiving naturally after IVF

One in three Australian women who have their first baby with the help of assisted reproductive technologies, such as IVF, fall pregnant again without treatment within two years.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Help! My toddler is a head-banger

When he throws a tantrum, my 20-month-old often gets down on the floor and starts banging his head. What should I do?

Disabled boy's Disney disappointment

A Melbourne mum is angry that her disabled son missed out on seeing his hero Buzz Lightyear because staff at HiSense Arena did not know the wheelchair accessible route to their seats - which had already been given away.

Get the kids in the kitchen with cool play food sets

Show your little one how to eat healthily, even while they pretend!

Friendships under pressure

Whether you're old pals or fairly new acquaintances, even the strongest of friendships can be put to the test once you have kids. It's possible to ride out the rocky days - if you're sure it's worth it.

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Holiday Fun

No time to be bored!

Lots of School Holiday ideas, activities, things to do, places to visit, classes to take.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.