10 'commandments' for atheists

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Z-girls rock

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

So I saw this in this article: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/the-1...0205-2dw83.html

essentially a list of 'best practice ways to live' developed by a guy called Alain de Botton

I think it is a pretty good list.
Resilience: Keeping going even when things are looking dark.

Empathy: The capacity to connect imaginatively with the sufferings and unique  experiences of another person.

Patience: We should grow calmer and more forgiving by being more realistic  about how things actually happen

Sacrifice: We won't ever manage to raise a family, love someone else or save  the planet if we don't keep up with the art of sacrifice

Politeness: Politeness is closely linked to tolerance, -the capacity to live  alongside people whom one will never agree with, but at the same time, cannot  avoid.

<li>Humour: Like anger, humour springs from disappointment, but it is  disappointment optimally channelled.

<li>Self-awareness: To know oneself is to try not to blame others for one's  troubles and moods; to have a sense of what's going on inside oneself, and what  actually belongs to the world.

<li>Forgiveness: It's recognising that living with others is not possible without  excusing errors.

<li>Hope: Pessimism is not necessarily deep, nor optimism shallow.

<li>Confidence: Confidence is not arrogance - rather, it is based on a constant  awareness of how short life is and how little we will ultimately lose from  risking everything.

(sorry that the formatting is a bit weird).

I am still thinking about the list. Do we need it? It is just a good starting place for an attempt at outlining ethical living?

I was raised in an athiest household but have since become Buddhist. I would like to see compassion included, to me compassion and what is derived from it loving-kindness (or metta) is most important.

what do you think?

#2 noi'mnot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

It's a bit of a "how not to be an a*s*hole" list, really. And, I think it's very much how many people try to live their lives, whether atheist or not.

Whilst compassion can be an aspect of some of the points on the list (like empathy, patience, self-awareness, forgiveness) it would have been a good addition - but 11 commandments doesn't really sound quite as good, does it?

#3 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yes, I read the article this morning ...I think it's a good list.

I found it interesting he used the word "sacrifice"....I must admit its a concept I struggle with...especially in the Christian sense of what God sacrificed for mankind.....I was never fully comfortable with that aspect of Christian dogma....I know I am being too literal about it, I can't explain it very well.....

#4 RealityBites

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hmm, I like the general idea but they are all just qualities. Very New Testament. How does one go about cultivating a quality such as patience? (I am an intolerant, angry atheist who finds it very hard to forgive lol)

I like the directness of the Hebrew Scriptures 'Thou shalt not'. Much clearer with no unnecessary moral philosophy  biggrin.gif

ETA Lucretia, that was my first reaction too. What if I don't want to be a particularly 'good'/nice person?! One of the critiques of  morality in religion is that it is an overt (political) attempt to keep the masses under control.

Edited by RealityBites, 06 February 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#5 Angelot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

It looks to me like a fairly standard attempt at a system of virtues ethics - an approach to ethics which I believe goes back to Aristotle.

His list included courage, temperance, liberality, munificence, high-mindedness, right ambition, good temper, friendly civility, sincerity, wittiness, modesty and "just resentment" (which I think means something like righteous anger).

At other times other groups have had similar lists of virtues, like the medieval Christian "holy virtues": faith, hope, charity, prudence, temperance, fortitude, justice.

As you can see, different influences lead to the inclusion or dropping of different virtues, but there's still a lot of overlap.  We tend to be fairly consistent about what we consider as good character.

Personally, I tend to prefer other approaches to ethical thinking, but I think that's mostly about personality rather than the inherent worth of the different approaches.  Virtue ethical systems have a lot to be said for them.

If I were drawing up a list, love or one of its related terms (charity, compassion, whatever) would have to be pretty high on it.

#6 rosie28

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I like the list, although I tend to think compassion should rate a mention. I'm stridently atheist, but I don't think there is anything wrong with "do unto others as you would have others do unto you" - surely if more people (religious people included) just kept to that, then we would be better off.

#7 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I quite like the original 10 commandments without the religious bits.

- Don't Steal
- Don't Murder
-Don't cheat or lie
-Don't hit on married people and if you're married don't pretend you're single
- Do on to others as you would have done on to you
- Do not want for what others have
- Respect your parents
-Take a day to relax and be grateful for what you have

You could replace the God bits with show tolerance and remember you might right but you might also be wrong.

#8 Feral_Pooks

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

It's a bit meh, isn't it? Seems to be more about ME and how I can tolerate other people. I see us as being a bit more interconnected than that. But oh well. My ethics are far more related to kindness, challenging injustice, and considering how my actions impact the environment and others. I find this list to be lacking.

#9 Jax12

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 06/02/2013, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a bit meh, isn't it? Seems to be more about ME and how I can tolerate other people. I see us as being a bit more interconnected than that. But oh well. My ethics are far more related to kindness, challenging injustice, and considering how my actions impact the environment and others. I find this list to be lacking.

I don't know...these latest boys in toilets/change room threads have really highlighted to me a poor sense of community.  People saying my needs trump yours or vice versa.  I think it's worthwhile to take time and focus on your own tolerance, empathy and self-awareness...do we need a list like this?  For me, this thread has reminded me to stop and take stock of the values I'm instilling in my child and encourages me to look at the big picture and make sure I'm not missing anything...this list in particular?  I think everything in there is important but agree with PP in that it's a bit lacking.  I would hope that without a prescribed checklist I inherently posess and value these qualities, which will in turn be promoted to my children through my behaviour.

#10 niggles

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Definitely missing a bit of 'just resentment' for me.

#11 Z-girls rock

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 06/02/2013, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes. I agree.

challenging injustice is high on my personal ethics list too.

I am very interested/ alligned with the engaged Buddhist movement.

like with the list above - if you encountered someone behaving badly - like abusing an animal. Should you just have empathy for the animal and forgiveness for the person? (without taking action)

I dont think that this is good enough.
I dont think it is ethical.

Sure there could be both empathy and forgiveness but only if there was also an intervention - action of some sort to help the animal and help the person who was abusing it to learn about ethical treatment of animals...

#12 Angelot

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

This discussion started me thinking and sent me searching for something to read.  I just wanted to pop back in and recommend this book.  I haven't even finished it yet, but I'm finding it very good food for thought!

#13 PrizzyII

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Alain de Botton is the ethics equivalent of a White Wings cake mix is to baking.
Its all a bit obvious and sensible really.

#14 BadCat

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

It's a very nice list.  I'm sure he can hang it on his wall and score himself against it from time to time if it makes him happy.

Personally I don't see why atheists need commandments.  Not even ones in ironic quotation marks.  I find I can live my life perfectly well without instructions.  It's one of the reasons I'm not religious.

#15 BetteBoop

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Just because I don't believe in God doesn't mean I need someone to tell me how to be a decent human.

#16 Angelot

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I always thought of virtue ethics as descriptive rather than prescriptive  unsure.gif

#17 BadCat

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Perhaps so Ange.

I take issue with this list.  Why is a list for atheists?  Is there an assumption that atheists need guidelines because we can't figure this stuff out for ourselves?

#18 Angelot

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Nah, I think it's because atheists might not like the lists with things like faith in them!

Honestly, I don't get the angst.  Everyone has an ethical system - some more consciously than others, granted.  What's wrong with proposing a system which might seem particularly suited to people who don't want to take on board all the God stuff?

#19 BetteBoop

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Ange Vert @ 28/02/2013, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's wrong with proposing a system which might seem particularly suited to people who don't want to take on board all the God stuff?

Because we don't need one. And honestly, I'm bored to death with white guys telling everyone else how to live.

#20 BadCat

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

What BB said.

I don't have an issue with what's ON the list.  Just the fact that anyone thinks we need a list.   I mean really Ange, would you not have moral values and ethics if you didn't have the 10 commandments?  Would you run riot in the streets kicking puppies?

#21 Magnus

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

I think a lot of us 'don't want to take on the God stuff' partly because we're rebellious and don't want a clear-cut system that tells us how to act or think. So I guess we might as well just join an organised religion if we didn't want to sort it out for ourselves.*

*Not that I'm against religion and I also acknowledge that religious people do a lot of thinking about how to practice their religion, which branch to follow and which tenets to accept/ reject etc.

#22 Angelot

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (O TheHugeManatee @ 28/02/2013, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have an issue with what's ON the list.  Just the fact that anyone thinks we need a list.   I mean really Ange, would you not have moral values and ethics if you didn't have the 10 commandments?  Would you run riot in the streets kicking puppies?

No, I think you missed my point.  (I don't even feel the ten commandments apply to me).  

But I do think that we all - no matter what stripe of belief or unbelief we are - have an ethical system.  I don't have a problem with being encouraged to think about that and perhaps refine it.  Is it really bad to think about ethics?  That's where the angst eludes me.

#23 Magnus

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

I do think we should think about ethics. I don't know if narrowing it down to some sort of pithy list counts as thinking about ethics for me?

I feel like my ethics is more of a work-in-progress and something that I think through all the time and that gets challenged all the time in day-to-day circumstances.

I think ethics is important and that's why I wouldn't reduce mine to a philosophy lite list.

#24 LucidDream

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (O TheHugeManatee @ 28/02/2013, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I take issue with this list. Why is a list for atheists? Is there an assumption that atheists need guidelines because we can't figure this stuff out for ourselves?

Self-help books aren't going to buy themselves.

#25 BetteBoop

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Magnus @ 28/02/2013, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do think we should think about ethics. I don't know if narrowing it down to some sort of pithy list counts as thinking about ethics for me?

I feel like my ethics is more of a work-in-progress and something that I think through all the time and that gets challenged all the time in day-to-day circumstances.

I think ethics is important and that's why I wouldn't reduce mine to a philosophy lite list.

Yes.

Perhaps if I thought Eat, Pray, Love was a spiritual revelation, I would gain enlightenment from a set of rules that are designed to take all the heavy lifting out of making ethical choices.

I prefer to do my thinking for myself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind", as one writer has claimed?

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.