Breech

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mama123

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hi there,

I am 36.1 weeks with baby number 4 and have just discovered that my baby has turned breech, despite being head down since pretty much conception. Tounge1.gif

I go back in a weeks time to see what position she is in and for all the usual checks.

Has anyone else found themselves in this situation? This is my 4th pregnancy.

Thanks original.gif

#2 lactasticmama

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

I'm not from this DIG, but thought I'd add my experience if that's ok original.gif

My 3rd & 4th babies were both breech. I tried so many things to turn them, but nothing worked. In the end I gave up trying to turn #4, and just let her be.

I had #3 by Caesar, despite badly wanting to birth her vaginally. The doctors scared me into a c/s, and were really unsupportive. But at the time I chose what I felt was right (I do regret it now though).

#4 I had vaginally. She was a breech vbac, but I had to fight to have her that way (birthed in a different hospital to #3). Whilst my drs were somewhat supportive, they would have preferred me to have a c/s, but I refused. I did a lot of reading, and decided to go for the breech vbac delivery, and it was successful. My birth story is in my sig if you wish to read it original.gif

I suggest joining the breech birth group on FB - https://www.facebook.com/groups/breech/ the ladies there are really supportive, no matter what way you choose to deliver your baby.

There is also www.breechbirth.net for more info.

And try spinning babies for techniques to turn baby - www.spinningbabies.com

You do still have time for baby to turn back to head down, despite what people say. I know of a few ladies whose babies turned at the last moment (and in labour too!).

ETA, I forgot to add. I had a ECV with #3, but it was unsuccessful of course. It wasn't at all painful, just slightly uncomfortable. Didn't bother with #4 cause I'd had a c/s and the OBs weren't keen to try one in fear of uterine rupture.

Good luck with your decision! Hope your birth goes well. No matter what way you go original.gif

Edited by PippityRoo, 06 February 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#3 PurpleNess

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

I haven't been in your exact position but my first baby was breech - transverse lie till about 34 weeks. I went swimming and am positive this helped him turn.

Also bounced on a fit ball & get gravity to help out :-)

I understand many babies don't turn again until in labour but i was keen to get him to move as I didn't want a C section at all.

Check out SpinningBabies.com for tips & also do your research before agreeing to an ECV as there are a few risks involved, make an informed decision if it comes to that.

Wishing you the best

#4 mama123

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thank you.

I am trying not to over think it at this stage. I am quietly optimistic she will turn by herself, if she hasn't already.

I have been told about moxabustion so that might be our first step if any are needed. I always said I would never try an ECV but now that I could possibly find myself in a breech situation, I am beginning to think differently.

I am at a public hospital. I have been told that it would be best to seek another public hospital if I plan to attempt a vaginal delivery. I speak to 'THE' person at my public hospital more about their policies next week. Normally I would attempt a vaginal delivery (have had 3 successfully) but this other hospital would be over an hours drive and since we already live 40mins from family, friends (to drop children off) and hubbies work, I don't feel confident we would make it in time.

Oh, decisions, decisions.

#5 PurpleNess

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

I was booked in for the Moxabustion but bub turned before hand so didn't go through with it. Certainly I'd do everything before a ECV :-)

Giving it's your 4th I wouldn't over think it too much but yep a plan would be good :-)

#6 redmum77

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hiya,

My first bub turned breech at 36 weeks, and back again 3 days later. My second was every lie under the sun until just after 36 weeks, then head down. This third bub is doing the same as my second. If there is room to turn at 36 weeks then there is room to turn back. Give yourself a week or two and hopefully things will be ok, swimming is really helpful to get bub mobile.

It's pretty scary, even though I know mine will probably turn I still go through all the options in my head and just hope I don't need a CS. I don't think I'd do an ECV though, as bub can just turn back easily really, although I have heard of some people getting bub turned then getting an induction that day. Not for me, but might work for some and seems logical.

#7 mama123

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yes, I've found myself stuck between, 'don't over think it' and 'what's my plan B and C'.

My last baby came at 37.5 weeks and I can't shake the feeling that time is running out. Hopefully that's just irrational thinking. biggrin.gif

#8 Alxeen

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

I'll put in another vote for spinning babies, and also look into the Webster technique (done by a chiro), and acupuncture is also said to be of benefit.
However if this fails, and given your successful VBs, there is no cause for thinking breech birth isn't an option. Although one factor to consider would be the skill and experience of the attending doctor/midwife in delivering a breech baby. I think you mentioned you are public, in which case you should have the full complement of doctors on staff at the time to volunteer to deliver the breech baby (meaning, you should get the most experienced one). Comments above regarding lack of experience and therefore liability are quite true however.
Have a read of Mary Cronk's article on breech birth: http://www.aims.org.uk/Journal/Vol10No3/handOffbreech.htmI really liked the practical, common sense approach she takes. There's also a coalition for breech birth you can google.
With regards to "policies"....just remember that no one can force you to do anything that you are not comfortable doing. If you don't consent then it is against the law for them to do anything. Of course there are often good reasons for policies, but if you feel they are not relevant to you then make that known and negotiate with your hospital.
Good luck original.gif

#9 justthinking1

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Hi,

I'm in a very similar situation actually. My baby has been head down for ages, then sometime between my last two appointments (33 & 36 weeks) the baby turned breech.

It's my 2nd baby and is big like my first (already 3.2kg with a 32cm head) so my OB isn't keen on a breech birth. So, we wait till our next appointment at 37wks to see if the baby has behaved itself and turned back to head down. If not, we "discuss our options" which include ECV. We live 110km away from our hospital too so thats another factor we have to consider.

My OB didn't really seem that positive about the ECV really, because of the size of the baby and it fast running out of room to turn. At this point I'm just hoping it turns before Thurs so I can avoid making any decisions!

Good luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.