Jump to content
8 replies to this topic
Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:52 AM
I am 36.1 weeks with baby number 4 and have just discovered that my baby has turned breech, despite being head down since pretty much conception.
I go back in a weeks time to see what position she is in and for all the usual checks.
Has anyone else found themselves in this situation? This is my 4th pregnancy.
Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:10 PM
I'm not from this DIG, but thought I'd add my experience if that's ok
My 3rd & 4th babies were both breech. I tried so many things to turn them, but nothing worked. In the end I gave up trying to turn #4, and just let her be.
I had #3 by Caesar, despite badly wanting to birth her vaginally. The doctors scared me into a c/s, and were really unsupportive. But at the time I chose what I felt was right (I do regret it now though).
#4 I had vaginally. She was a breech vbac, but I had to fight to have her that way (birthed in a different hospital to #3). Whilst my drs were somewhat supportive, they would have preferred me to have a c/s, but I refused. I did a lot of reading, and decided to go for the breech vbac delivery, and it was successful. My birth story is in my sig if you wish to read it
I suggest joining the breech birth group on FB - https://www.facebook.com/groups/breech/ the ladies there are really supportive, no matter what way you choose to deliver your baby.
There is also www.breechbirth.net for more info.
And try spinning babies for techniques to turn baby - www.spinningbabies.com
You do still have time for baby to turn back to head down, despite what people say. I know of a few ladies whose babies turned at the last moment (and in labour too!).
ETA, I forgot to add. I had a ECV with #3, but it was unsuccessful of course. It wasn't at all painful, just slightly uncomfortable. Didn't bother with #4 cause I'd had a c/s and the OBs weren't keen to try one in fear of uterine rupture.
Good luck with your decision! Hope your birth goes well. No matter what way you go
Edited by PippityRoo, 06 February 2013 - 12:12 PM.
Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:10 PM
I haven't been in your exact position but my first baby was breech - transverse lie till about 34 weeks. I went swimming and am positive this helped him turn.
Also bounced on a fit ball & get gravity to help out :-)
I understand many babies don't turn again until in labour but i was keen to get him to move as I didn't want a C section at all.
Check out SpinningBabies.com for tips & also do your research before agreeing to an ECV as there are a few risks involved, make an informed decision if it comes to that.
Wishing you the best
Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 PM
I am trying not to over think it at this stage. I am quietly optimistic she will turn by herself, if she hasn't already.
I have been told about moxabustion so that might be our first step if any are needed. I always said I would never try an ECV but now that I could possibly find myself in a breech situation, I am beginning to think differently.
I am at a public hospital. I have been told that it would be best to seek another public hospital if I plan to attempt a vaginal delivery. I speak to 'THE' person at my public hospital more about their policies next week. Normally I would attempt a vaginal delivery (have had 3 successfully) but this other hospital would be over an hours drive and since we already live 40mins from family, friends (to drop children off) and hubbies work, I don't feel confident we would make it in time.
Oh, decisions, decisions.
Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:45 PM
I was booked in for the Moxabustion but bub turned before hand so didn't go through with it. Certainly I'd do everything before a ECV :-)
Giving it's your 4th I wouldn't over think it too much but yep a plan would be good :-)
Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:46 PM
My first bub turned breech at 36 weeks, and back again 3 days later. My second was every lie under the sun until just after 36 weeks, then head down. This third bub is doing the same as my second. If there is room to turn at 36 weeks then there is room to turn back. Give yourself a week or two and hopefully things will be ok, swimming is really helpful to get bub mobile.
It's pretty scary, even though I know mine will probably turn I still go through all the options in my head and just hope I don't need a CS. I don't think I'd do an ECV though, as bub can just turn back easily really, although I have heard of some people getting bub turned then getting an induction that day. Not for me, but might work for some and seems logical.
Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:22 PM
Yes, I've found myself stuck between, 'don't over think it' and 'what's my plan B and C'.
My last baby came at 37.5 weeks and I can't shake the feeling that time is running out. Hopefully that's just irrational thinking.
Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:57 PM
I'll put in another vote for spinning babies, and also look into the Webster technique (done by a chiro), and acupuncture is also said to be of benefit.
However if this fails, and given your successful VBs, there is no cause for thinking breech birth isn't an option. Although one factor to consider would be the skill and experience of the attending doctor/midwife in delivering a breech baby. I think you mentioned you are public, in which case you should have the full complement of doctors on staff at the time to volunteer to deliver the breech baby (meaning, you should get the most experienced one). Comments above regarding lack of experience and therefore liability are quite true however.
Have a read of Mary Cronk's article on breech birth: http://www.aims.org.uk/Journal/Vol10No3/handOffbreech.htmI really liked the practical, common sense approach she takes. There's also a coalition for breech birth you can google.
With regards to "policies"....just remember that no one can force you to do anything that you are not comfortable doing. If you don't consent then it is against the law for them to do anything. Of course there are often good reasons for policies, but if you feel they are not relevant to you then make that known and negotiate with your hospital.
Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:05 AM
I'm in a very similar situation actually. My baby has been head down for ages, then sometime between my last two appointments (33 & 36 weeks) the baby turned breech.
It's my 2nd baby and is big like my first (already 3.2kg with a 32cm head) so my OB isn't keen on a breech birth. So, we wait till our next appointment at 37wks to see if the baby has behaved itself and turned back to head down. If not, we "discuss our options" which include ECV. We live 110km away from our hospital too so thats another factor we have to consider.
My OB didn't really seem that positive about the ECV really, because of the size of the baby and it fast running out of room to turn. At this point I'm just hoping it turns before Thurs so I can avoid making any decisions!
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users
For and against
Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.
Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.
Top 5 Articles
Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.
Mind, body, beauty, life
We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.