Is sleeping on your back, really that bad during pregnancy?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I am 18 weeks pregnant and currently share a bed with DS.

I have read that the optimal position to sleep in is on the left side. I've been trying to do this as much as possible but it hurts my back. The most comfortable position is on my back and I find this positions helps alleviate my back pain.

Also DS moves around a lot in his sleep and likes to sleep in the crook of my arm or lying with his head on my belly so sometimes I'm limited with the sleep positions because it depends on how he is sleeping.

Is it really bad to sleep on my back? Sleep is so few and precious at the moment that I just want to be comfortable and get some rest!

#2 sad small umbrella

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

No it really is not a problem.  The side sleeping idea is only a theory when a pregnancy has issues.  For a normal pregnancy just get the sleep as you can and don't worry about blood flow to the placenta.

#3 Wildence

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

I think you might find it uncomfortable sleeping on your back in the third trimester.  But right now just enjoy it original.gif

#4 TwiceThe Woman

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

At 18 weeks it shouldn't be a problem - but as you get bigger the uterus can put pressure on the IVC (Inferior Vena Cava) - the major vessel returning blood to the heart and blood pressure can drop - and often will drop BP if you are around full term.
With women who are due we often have a small sandbag to wedge under their right hip just to tilt the uterus over enough to the left side to allow adequate return and get an accurate BP reading.
For anyone with back pain - very often back pain can be relieved when lying on your side with a firm pillow between your legs.
All the best!

#5 lozoodle

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

Once you get to the stage it is a problem its too uncomfortable to do so anyway. Just sleep how you are most comfortable, i find i wake up if im sleeping in a positiom that isnt ideal and usually feel a bit icky until i roll over.

#6 Cyaira

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

It definitely has an effect for me in the third trimester - if I lie on my back I get dizzy and lightheaded and feel quite unwell. This is fairly quickly relieved by rolling onto my side. I definitely do not think the side sleeping thing is 'only a theory when a pregnancy has issues'!!

I found sleeping on my side with a pillow shoved against my back and one between my knees helpful for getting sleep when you want to sleep on your back. I also have sciatica and SPD so know what you mean about back pain! A good massage or hot pack can help.

#7 Ice Queen

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

There was a study recently released that there was a correlation between back sleeping and still births and the advice was not to sleep on your back in late pregnancy.  But I agree with the PP, by the time you get to this stage it will be too uncomfortable anyway.

#8 againagain

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (Cyaira @ 06/02/2013, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It definitely has an effect for me in the third trimester - if I lie on my back I get dizzy and lightheaded and feel quite unwell.

This was my experience as well. Beware the dentist chair, osteo or anyone else who makes you lie down! It didn't tend to bother me until 25 weeks or so.

#9 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Okay cool thanks everyone original.gif I'll just keep doing it until it becomes uncomfortable. At the moment sleeping in awkward side positions, jig sawed around DS is doing my back in and back sleeping gives me relief! Thank you.

#10 Marley&Me

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I am almost 24 weeks pregnant & like you sleep with DS who is 2. He likes to lie all over me limiting my movement sometimes as I don't want to disturb him.

I go to sleep on my side, generally right but wake every morning flat on my back. It hasn't bothered my at this point although I do sleep with a pillow between my legs and have done since my first pregnancy lol!

#11 B.feral3

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I learned something at uni about aortocaval compression. The term stuck with me so I just looked it up and found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aortocaval_compression_syndrome

I never slept on my back anyway because I find it uncomfortable at the best of times.

#12 Natttmumm

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

I think your body will tell you when it's uncomfortable.
I can sleep on my back and I feel like I'm suffocating now.

#13 SophieBear

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

I occasionally still wake up on my back and find there is no bother. I'm nearing 30 weeks.

When I worry about it, I put a thinner pillow under my bottom on my right side, so that I lean to the left which is really comfortable.

#14 Clarial

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Im 33 weeks and sleeping on my back is my preference typically but so uncomfortable for me - there is a strong feeling of pressure and discomfort that i wasn't feeling earlier in pregnancy...

like you i had read about left side sleeping as a recommendation and as a PP mentioned, I also saw the article on EB mentioning research that demonstrates the relationship of back sleeping and stillbirth rates...so i have been trying to get with the LH side sleep for most of the preg. will never be a fan and can't wait to return to back and tummy sleeps!

I used to roll to right hand side as well but in recent weeks this instantly brings on reflux/heartburn for me.

Sleep well OP  happy.gif

#15 bright*future

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

I have always been a side sleeper, and find at the moment sometimes having a little lie down on my back, supported with pillows so I am a bit upright really nice.  At a physio info session at hospital I went to, they said the risks are significantly reduced if you're upright to about 30 degrees.

Supporting yourself with lots of pillows can help it be more comfortable, a pillow between your knees or lying in the "recovery" position with your top knee bent & resting on a pillow that makes your hips about even, are my favourites.

I have read about all the risks wouldn't sleep on my back all night or deliberately fall asleep on my back.  (But I have been very risk averse with absolutely everything in pregnancy!!)

#16 Jadey73

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

My favourite position is on my back, closely followed by my right side.  It's more uncomfortable on my left side due to neck pain and a rib injury as a child, but I'm trying.  I must admit I'm feeling heavier when on my back now at almost 27wks, but so far no worrying symptoms when I am on my back. It's always hard to make myself stay on my left at night, I always end up on my back or right side. A pillow between the knees is comfy for me.

Just wondering, what are the reasons that the right side is not as favourable as the left during pregnancy?

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (Jadey73 @ 09/02/2013, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering, what are the reasons that the right side is not as favourable as the left during pregnancy?

It is because the liver is on the right side of the body and the heavy uterus 'might' squish it somewhat and so the blood flow is not as good.
Having said that it is very very unusual to have a uterus that is heavy enough to cause damage before we roll over in bed.
The same goes for lying on the back. If that is the only way you can comfortably sleep then it is awful to think that some mums to be lie awake petrified they are harming the baby because there really is minimal risk. Someone with a heavy uterus who lies flat on their back may feel a bit dizzy as their blood pressure drops and instinctively we roll over an the problem is solved long before there is any affect on the baby.

#18 Jadey73

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thanks STBG, always a wealth of information original.gif

OP, wishing you lots of good sleep, do whatever works for you seems to be the motto. I have to agree with PPs, your body will tell when you're not in a good position even when asleep (or in my case, semi-comatose in the summer heat lol!). Happy sleeping to all.   ssleep.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Twin brothers have become dads on the same day ? with their partners giving birth in the same hospital, and even the same birthing pool.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.