liberal government paid maternity leave scheme
when would it start?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 maryanneK

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

hi everyone.
I'm sure lots of you know about the coalition's plans to introduce paid maternity leave for six months at full salary. Now I personally think its a terrible policy - why should taxpayers be handing out up to $75,000 for wealthy women for maternity leave when they could easily afford it themselves?
However, as I'm currently 6w pregnant I could personally stand to benefit very handsomely from this! I'm on a pretty good salary, but my work has no paid maternity leave at all. I would absolutely LOVE to have 6 months fully paid maternity leave! I wouldn't vote liberal but there's a definite personal upside for me if they win.
does anyone know when they'd be planning on introducing it? Election is sept 14th and I'm due early October....guess that would be unlikely, right?! rolleyes.gif

#2 nano-tyrannus

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (maryanneK @ 05/02/2013, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I personally think its a terrible policy - why should taxpayers be handing out up to $75,000 for wealthy women for maternity leave when they could easily afford it themselves?

Labor's scheme is funded by taxpayers... The coalition's is by a levy:

The Coalition’s Paid Parental Leave scheme is funded by a 1.5 percent levy on companies with

taxable incomes in excess of $5 million. This will apply only to taxable income in excess of $5 million.

The levy will affect approximately 3,370 out of 770,000 companies in Australia. From 2013-14, all

companies will receive the benefit of a 1.5 precentage point reduction in the company tax rate.

The Coalition would prefer to fund our Paid Parental Leave scheme from a Budget surplus, but this

is not possible due to the large debt and deficits run up by the Labor Government. Labor’s debt and

deficits mean that funding the Coalition’s Paid Parental Leave scheme through a levy of 1.5 percent

on a relatively small number of larger companies is the only way for Australia to achieve a decent

Paid Parental Leave scheme in the near future. Once the Budget position has been restored we will

reduce the levy and eventually abolish it entirely.

You'll probably have to wait... the above text was from the 2010 election, and that policy was meant to come into place in July 2012 subject to the passage of legislation...

#3 Lady Garden

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

As if Tony Abbott would actually do anything re paid maternity leave. You're a sucker if you believe him.

#4 eachschoolholidays

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 05/02/2013, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As if Tony Abbott would actually do anything re paid maternity leave. You're a sucker if you believe him.

I'm guessing if/when he is elected he will say that he would love to do it, but the economy just isn't up to it  rolleyes.gif

#5 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 05/02/2013, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think i will cry if he gets in.

#6 cira

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

The Coalition’s Paid Parental Leave scheme is funded by a 1.5 percent levy on companies with
taxable incomes in excess of $5 million. This will apply only to taxable income in excess of $5 million.
The levy will affect approximately 3,370 out of 770,000 companies in Australia.

How could a levy on just 3,370 companies possibly fund the scheme - I think this scheme is an election myth that would disappear shortly after the elections.

#7 NineFeralYears

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm on the 'never' team too.  It's not costed properly and would require the government to kick in.

People in NSW and QLD can vouch for Liberal governments that start with 'well sure we promised, but it turns out the budget was in a worse state than we realised'. (due to what, exactly?  Not paying attention before it was their responsibility?  Pulling figures that suited them out of their backsides prior to the election?)  And the whole idea of a 'non core promise' is pretty much enshrined in Liberal culture.

Edited by Eight.years, 05 February 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#8 Katie_bella

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

The lies grand statements made prior to an election, to make people vote for whomever is making said grand statements rolleyes.gif

Let the election fun begin!

#9 Feral_Pooks

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Firstly, I oppose the scheme completely as middle class welfare gone mad. Secondly, I don't believe it would happen. Thirdly, if it did happen, I could only see it happening through completely scrapping other payments. Fourthly, how is this ok but mining tax isn't? Fifthly, ahhhhhh *runs*

#10 B.feral3

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (Eight.years @ 05/02/2013, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People in NSW and QLD can vouch for Liberal governments that start with 'well sure we promised, but it turns out the budget was in a worse state than we realised'. (due to what, exactly?  Not paying attention before it was their responsibility?  Pulling figures that suited them out of their backsides prior to the election?)  And the whole idea of a 'non core promise' is pretty much enshrined in Liberal culture.

Yes.

#11 elizabethany

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

taxable incomes in excess of $5 million
. This will apply only to taxable income in excess of $5 million.

The levy will affect approximately 3,370 out of 770,000 companies in Australia. From 2013-14, all

companies will receive the benefit of a 1.5 precentage point reduction in the company tax rate.

So they are not charging a levy, they are reducing the tax rate on companies with a profit of less than 5 million.  How is this going to fund anything again?

Personally, I think it would be great if women were funded to 40k a year for 6 months, but it is not going to happen.  It will become a "non-core" promise as soon as the election is over.

Even if it manages to stick around, it will be at least 2 years before anything starts.

#12 maryanneK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hmm ok plenty of cynics out there! Guess I wont hold my breath rolleyes.gif

#13 Hayleymumof3

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Hmm ok plenty of cynics out there! Guess I wont hold my breath

Not Cynics, we just know how Tony Abbott's mind works.

#14 Tilly007

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

Putting aside whether such a scheme will ever be introduced, I find it appalling that women and mothers are not supporting its introduction.

Australia lags far behind the rest of the western world (and even non western world) in terms of the paid parental leave scheme it offers to its citizens.  

As someone who would probably be classed as a high income earner, we find it pretty tough when I need to take time off to have a child.  When the female earns a comparable amount to the male, being off work makes a huge difference.  Yes, we plan and budget for it as much as we can.  But that doesn't mean it's not hard!

I would never begrudge someone on a lower income from being paid maternity leave at their actual rate of pay.  They need it, I need it.  If it makes life easier for FAMILIES (and high income earners have families, too), it just doesn't make sense to me why this is opposed.

Trying to have a career with children is hard enough.  Having a child has been the worst possible thing I could have done for my career.  Adding a huge amount of financial stress to the situation makes it even harder.

#15 Bluenomi

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Ignoring the whole will he/won't he issue this is a likely time line.

Election is 14 Sept. If there is a change of ogvernment they won't sit again until at least November by the time they get everything sorted. So it won't even be introduced until Parliament until then even if it is the first thing they introduce. Then it has to get through the Reps and the senate which it may or may not depending on the indepenants and the greens. If you are lucky it could be passed by Feburary. Then it needs to be implemented and I suspect it would be something they'd start at the begining of a year or fin year so July 2013 at the earliest.

So yeah don't get your hopes up.

#16 Blossom73

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (nlman @ 05/02/2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm guessing if/when he is elected he will say that he would love to do it, but the economy just isn't up to it  rolleyes.gif

Ding ding ding! Politicians of all stripes use this one as an excuse when they come into power. AKA - the last government left us in such a deficit hole it would not be responsible to introduce this policy. This excuse lasts through about 2 budget cycles, then its on the head of the current government.

Edited by Blossom73, 06 February 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#17 EBeditor

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

I wouldn't see it being introduced until next year either, and that's if it passes through the houses of parliament. You would have to get some paid maternity leave in your current role, it would just be the current government scheme though.

#18 FeralBob!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (hayleymumof3 @ 06/02/2013, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not Cynics, we just know how Tony Abbott's mind works.

Plus, remember that he was part of the "Never Ever GST" governemnt, and would be well versed in John Howards "core" and "non-core" promises. I suspect that this will end up firmly in the latter category.

Tilly by definition anyone, female or not, at the upper end of the limit, ie earning $150,000 has a hell of a lot more wriggle room that the woman working the checkout at Coles. I fail, utterly to see why the rich woman raising her baby is worth so much more than the poor woman raising her baby. They're doing the same job in this instance.

I'd like to see a situation where women and men are much more supported by our society in general when it comes to childbirth and childrearing, but this ill concieved and inequitable division of money as proposed by Abbott is certainly not it.

#19 PrincessPeach

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

It has it's merits, particularly in circumstances where the woman is the main breadwinner in the family. Even earning $70,000 a year, currently it's a 50% paycut, which for some families is a huge impact.

But i am confused, is this going to be available for all women, or just those who work at the companies who are paying the levy?

Also does the employer pay it & get refunded by centrelink, or does centrelink just pay it? Because if it's still being paid by the employer, it wont be very popular - the amount of paperwork involved in the current scheme is just insane & also making sure the payment has come in before we pay it out.

Also if it was going to be introduce, I wouldn't expect it to happen before 2015.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 06 February 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#20 Hayleymumof3

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

The levy will affect approximately 3,370 out of 770,000 companies in Australia.

Am I the only one seeing some of these 3,370 business finding tax loopholes to reduce their profits so they don't have to pay?

Also as if Abbott is going to put a levy on his big business buddies.

#21 FeralBob!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Some? I think you underestimate Hayley. Most would probably be a fair assessment   laugh.gif

#22 HGL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Yepp, election in Sept 2013, ignoring the fact that they'd probably go back on their word, and if it did get up, earliest it would be available is July 2014.

I sit middle of the line when it comes to politics but I'm secretly praying that Abbott gets knocked off as leader and Turnbull gets a run.

#23 Tilly007

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

[quote name='WingBob' date='06/02/2013, 11:17 AM' post='15305177']

Tilly
by definition anyone, female or not, at the upper end of the limit, ie earning $150,000 has a hell of a lot more wriggle room that the woman working the checkout at Coles. I fail, utterly to see why the rich woman raising her baby is worth so much more than the poor woman raising her baby. They're doing the same job in this instance.

I'd like to see a situation where women and men are much more supported by our society in general when it comes to childbirth and childrearing, but this ill concieved and inequitable division of money as proposed by Abbott is certainly not it.

The purpose of a paid parental leave scheme is not to compensate someone for raising children.

It is to compensate them for being out of the workforce (and not earning their salary) while they raise their children.

Edited by Tilly007, 06 February 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#24 cira

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Tilly007 @ 06/02/2013, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Putting aside whether such a scheme will ever be introduced, I find it appalling that women and mothers are not supporting its introduction.

Australia lags far behind the rest of the western world (and even non western world) in terms of the paid parental leave scheme it offers to its citizens.  

As someone who would probably be classed as a high income earner, we find it pretty tough when I need to take time off to have a child.  When the female earns a comparable amount to the male, being off work makes a huge difference.  Yes, we plan and budget for it as much as we can.  But that doesn't mean it's not hard!

I would never begrudge someone on a lower income from being paid maternity leave at their actual rate of pay.  They need it, I need it.  If it makes life easier for FAMILIES (and high income earners have families, too), it just doesn't make sense to me why this is opposed.

Trying to have a career with children is hard enough.  Having a child has been the worst possible thing I could have done for my career.  Adding a huge amount of financial stress to the situation makes it even harder.

I don't understand your perspective. Some people in Australia would find it pretty tough in general without taking children into account. Surely as a high income earner you are in a much better position to save and fund your own maternity leave? I think Australia is incredibly supportive of families through the various centrelink payments. I'd have to see some solid statistics to believe  Australia truly  lags far behind many countries.

Also, as a high income earner (and I assume someone with in-demand skills) you may be in a better position to negotiate paid maternity leave directly with your employer compared to someone on lower income.

I do agree that having a child has a massive impact on a career and it has certainly been detrimental to my career but maternity leave pay is less of an issue to me than the lack of flexible work hours and/or part-time work opportunities.

#25 PrincessPeach

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

There are a lot of industries out there where very few firms offer paid maternity leave & part-time & flexible hour jobs are as rare as hens teeth. Even those with high incomes & in-demand skills.

I do agree that in a perfect world you would have planned for your children & ensured you had enough saved up to take time off with them, however it's not a perfect world. Women get pregnant before it's really planned & on the other side, couples planning families have had to use those savings to pay for the fertility treatments to get their children.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.