Annual leave in advance vs LWOP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lees75

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Our company has always allowed leave without pay when requested, rather than annual leave in advance. Typical scenarios have been new staff with a holiday already booked, or more recently, an army wife whose husband was granted last minute leave from his overseas deployment, etc Noone has ever requested annual leave in advance and we have never really given it any thought, assuming that LWOP made better business sense.

But our new office manager has challenged my thinking, so my boss and I have some decisions to make before we go changing policies.  The office manager's thinking was...
1. You are paying the annual leave and loading at the current rate of pay, rather than at the rate of any pending pay-rises......makes sense.
2. You don't get staff away from the business for weeks at a time over multiple occasions during the year - I.e. 4 weeks unpaid leave plus 4 weeks annual leave.....makes sense.

How do other workplaces do it?

What would employees prefer?

What do managers/payroll/business owners prefer?

Does anyone have any links to info comparing the 2 systems?

#2 msro82

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Our workplace does not offer leave in advance. We have a leave without pay option and we can also purchase additional leave (obviously advance thinking is needed here).

From a business perspective leave in advance is quite smart, what happens if that person leaves without paying it back? Does the business have a way to recoup this?

#3 Wigglemama

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

At my workplace, we have annual leave which is an entitlement, so earned and remaining in our balance after the starting date anniversary or "pro rata" annual leave, so leave currently being gained at each pay fortnight but not cleared as "entitled annual leave" until the starting date anniversary-this I guess would be "annual leave in advance". You can use it but only when you have  exhausted all your entitled annual leave.

I work for NSW Health as a midwife.

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

The issue with annual leave in advance is that someone might leave the company owing money.

LWOP isn't an entitlement, so you don't have to authorise it (although under the circumstances stated, I would think that it probably would be bad form not to).  I would be more inclined to try to get LWOP viewed as something to be used in exceptional circumstances rather than being an option to access extra leave on a regular basis.

#5 -Emissary-

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Our company offers both.

It depends on what the employee wants - whether they want to accrue the leave for another holiday down the track or whether they want to be paid so it doesn't disrupt their cash flow.

On your 2nd point - can't someone just still take 8 weeks - 4 weeks of their leave and 4 weeks of leave in advance? It's a matter of whether the boss will approve it, no?

Payroll? No idea. It's all done through the system and our payroll officers just reconcile it to ensure people did the right thing through their time sheets. The system calculates the entitlement based on whether the person used the Annual leave code or the Unpaid leave code.

I don't think my FC or my MD really cares how people accrue and request their leave. They only get concerned when people accrued too much leave and won't take it..

#6 Peppery

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

As previously stated, if an employee leaves with a negative leave balance it would be difficult to recover the money.

1. Staff are not allowed to accrue huge leave balances. We believe staff should take 4 weeks a year to recharge. Yes, pay rises increase the value but managing the amount of leave owing negates this.

2. Leave without pay is not an entitlement, if the business is not in a position to offer it then don't. We don't have blanket leave without pay rule, if a staff member asks we assess and if rejected then we explain why

#7 GoBack2Bed

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

I've worked at places that allow you to accrue up to two weeks leave in advance on the basis that if you leave the money owing would be recouped with your two weeks notice.

Also important to note that your employer cannot force you to take lwop if the closure is enforced, ie Xmas leave because whole business closes for two weeks.

#8 au*lit

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

I've never worked anywhere where LWOP was the norm. It's usually only been available when all other options are exhausted. For holidays, leave in advance has been preferred.

If the person leaves before earning the leave, it's taken out of their final pay.

#9 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

How do other workplaces do it?
In the wokrplaces I have been in, I could only access LWOP if I had exhausted all my available annual leave.  And there was/is not automatic approval for LWOP - person requesting has to make reasonable case.

DH has never been able to access annual leave in advance.  If he has no annual leave, he asks for LWOP.  He normally gets it.  (This hasn't really happened so much once he had access to long service leave)

What would employees prefer?
Probably LWOP.  Means employees are not in debt to their bosses.

What do managers/payroll/business owners prefer?probably that staff just use the leave that they have an don't ask for extra.

Does anyone have any links to info comparing the 2 systems? Nope

In several workplaces I have been in, the leave loading was paid as a lump sum for all staff in a pay period each December.  You could request to have it paid in advance when taking your leave through the year, but I don't know anyone who did.  Most people liked the extra money just before Xmas.  And thus the liability of leave loading payments was discharged annually by the employer.

We are not allowed to accrue more than 8 weeks of annual leave at any one time.  They prefer it to not go past 4 week though. HR starts sending out warning letters when it hits 6 weeks and you must show how you will reduce your leave in the next 6 months.

#10 Julie3Girls

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

Our company recently stopped leave in advance. I'm assuming it was a bottom line on paper kind of thing ... We are part of a large organisation, lot of people. Lots of budgets, goals etc. 4 weeks leave is always budgetted in for the year and when budgets are tight, last thing they wanted to be doing was paying for people to go on holidays, getting paid when they haven't accrued the leave.

LWOP is an option when no leave is left.  But it's all at managers discretion, and excessive leave, even with your direct managers approval will be picked up on reports and will need to be justified. I think in general, the policy allows for 2 weeks of LWOP before you need to really start justifying.  Of course, that is going to depend on your position, how much work you have etc.

#11 rocketsurgeon

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

We have LWOP, leave in advance and purchased leave. They are only options when the leave balance is exhausted. The employee has the choice and subject to organisational needs, it is not usually a problem which option they choose. With leave in advance, if the employee leaves then their final pay is adjusted.

The issue management is most concerned with is large accrual of leave. A former colleague had the dubious honour of having the highest leave balance in the organisation – 65 days. She kept ignoring HR’s recommendation to take leave, finally HR directed her to take 5 weeks in the middle of winter, to reduce it to 40. How anyone can have such a large annual leave balance is beyond me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

Win one of two ABC Shop prize packs in time for Christmas

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.