Terrified of getting a pouch!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 mummmi79

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hello fellow mummies

I am unsure wether to
Go Vbac or Csection for this little one.
I have heard stories of ladies getting what they call a Joey pouch after consecutive sections and I really don't like that idea! However due to a few personal reasons I'm also swaying away from a vbac.
Has anyone ended up with this pouch after their sections?
And does anyone know if they have to use staples instead of stitches second time around?

#2 B.feral3

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

I've had 2 C/S's. (DS2 & DS3)
I do have the dreaded pouch now and I did have staples the second time round actually!! Only because that particular hospital prefers staples to stitches though apparently and I had my C/S's in different hospitals.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Bek+3, 05 February 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#3 Glr-r

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

I've had 2 and no pouch, glued together first time, stappled the 2nd.

#4 Beancat

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

I've had two and a slight pouch.  I am having a third in 12 weeks.  Would rather the pouch anyday of the week than the risks that come with VBAC.

First one was stiched, second one was glue.  Hope this one will be glue.  Oh and my ob removed some of the scar tissue from the first when she did the second so there was not as much scar tissue and she plans to do the same again this time

#5 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

You mean the saggy baggy dead tissue tummy bit that sits over the c-section scar? Yep I have one. Didn't for first DD but then did for 2nd DD. I am also numb most of the area, I think I lost nerve feeling around it. Its hideous lol - I just pull my knickers over it and try squeeze my tummy in. I loved my old flat tummy but nothing I can do - I guess to look on the positives I'd rather have my daughter than my saggy tummy, than not have her and have a flat tummy. I didn't want to go the risks of VBac.

I also think you can get that without a c-section anyway?

#6 DandS

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Ive had 3 c/s. No pouch after 2 ... but #3 was the one that caused all the damage. Very depressing!

ETA: cant really remember whether it was staples or stitches...

Edited by DandS, 05 February 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#7 bikingbubs

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

I had an emergency c/s with DS and was hoping to have a VBAC with DD, but ended up having a c/s.  Although she is only 3 months old, its not too pouchy so think it will go back to how it was after DS.  Had stitches both times.   Personally, I wouldnt be terrified of ending up with one as long as your kids are born healthy.

#8 GenWhy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

I got the pouch after my c/sections. I had a VBAC too but the damage was already done in the first pregnancy. I'd take the VBAC any day over those horrid caesareans. Much less risky to have a VBAC than a repeat caesar by the way

#9 FeralFemboside

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (GenWhy @ 05/02/2013, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Much less risky to have a VBAC than a repeat caesar by the way

This study says differently:

Methods and findings
2,345 women with one prior caesarean, eligible for VBAC at term, were recruited from 14 Australian maternity hospitals. Women were assigned by patient preference (n = 2,323) or randomisation (n = 22) to planned VBAC (1,225 patient preference, 12 randomised) or planned ERC (1,098 patient preference, ten randomised). The primary outcome was risk of fetal death or death of liveborn infant before discharge or serious infant outcome. Data were analysed for the 2,345 women (100%) and infants enrolled.

The risk of fetal death or liveborn infant death prior to discharge or serious infant outcome was significantly lower for infants born in the planned ERC group compared with infants in the planned VBAC group (0.9% versus 2.4%; relative risk [RR] 0.39; 95% CI 0.19–0.80; number needed to treat to benefit 66; 95% CI 40–200). Fewer women in the planned ERC group compared with women in the planned VBAC had a major haemorrhage (blood loss ≥1,500 ml and/or blood transfusion), (0.8% [9/1,108] versus 2.3% [29/1,237]; RR 0.37; 95% CI 0.17–0.80).

Edited by Sydneyside, 05 February 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#10 threetimesblessed

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

3 csections, no pouch, stitches each time, very neat scar.
Once a colleague asked me if I had a pouch from the csections.
I had no idea what she was talking about and had never heard of it until then!

#11 GenWhy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Sudneyside, the studies on a MUCH larger scale have been done worldwide. They all have proven that Caesars carry more risk. That is why ACOG changed their guidelines in 2010 recommending women attempt VBAC and VBA2C rather than elective caesareans. I can google too but prefer to get my info from actual medical journals

#12 melajoe

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

I have had two c/s (1st was emergency, 2nd was failed VBAC), with stitches both times.  Actually, I think the second time I only had internal stitches and tape on the outside.  I do have a bit of a pouch after the second.  I was pretty happy with the way things bounced back after the first, but my youngest is now 2.5 and I still look about 4-5 months pregnant on a good day.  I'm not big anywhere else but I just can't get rid of the saggy tum.

Shapewear is my friend.

Edited by melajoe, 05 February 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#13 B.feral3

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (GenWhy @ 05/02/2013, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sudneyside, the studies on a MUCH larger scale have been done worldwide. They all have proven that Caesars carry more risk. That is why ACOG changed their guidelines in 2010 recommending women attempt VBAC and VBA2C rather than elective caesareans. I can google too but prefer to get my info from actual medical journals

I'm not getting involved in a debate but I had a read and just wanted to say that that was an 'actual' medical journal.  unsure.gif

#14 beaglebaby

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

1 emergency c section, 2 VBACs, nasty, nasty pouch.  Might also have something to do with the amount of weight I gained and have now lost.  No amount of shapewear is going to help as you have to put it somewhere!  Think I should start saving for a tummy tuck!

#15 katiecoop

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (GenWhy @ 05/02/2013, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. The risk of a vbac (uterine rupture) is tiny (although severe) compared to the much higher risk of subjecting a child to a lifetime of compromised health, asthma, allergies, food allergies, diabetes. That's without even considering that women and babies in Australia are twice as likely to die in c section than in a natural birth... Or the higher likelihood of bleeding, infections, etc in the mother. I was born via c section and have had a baby via c section and I wouldn't wish it on any child.
I'm not sure a pouch is the most important thing to consider, but if you don't want a saggy pouch probably best to avoid the c section if possible. The right part of my stomach above the scar is much saggier than the left side of my stomach if that's any help.

#16 FeralFemboside

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Bek+3 @ 05/02/2013, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not getting involved in a debate but I had a read and just wanted to say that that was an 'actual' medical journal.  unsure.gif

Yes, and it was done since 2010 and in Australian hospitals... I'm not arguing that a single small study is definitive, but obviously more research is warranted because I don't think the question as to which is safer overall has actually been answered. To me there seems to be good evidence for both VBAC and ERC.

#17 *Finn*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

I have a pouch.

1 c-section (stitches)
1 Vbac

It totally feels like dead flesh. I can't stand it.

#18 Futureself

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Off topic, educational musing follows:
QUOTE (GenWhy @ 05/02/2013, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can google too but prefer to get my info from actual medical journals

PLOS medicine is a peer reviewed journal with an impact factor of over 16. You can't get more 'actual'
And one of the most important factors of using evidence in medicine is the ability to apply it in context. You don't get better than a study looking at Australian Hospitals with Australian practice standards and Australian patients from only 2 years ago as far as context goes. So really, it is actually more helpful than a study with a a larger sample size, that was carried out in China or the US.

On topic :
One emergency caeser here and a small overhang. Wouldn't call it a pouch though.

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

I googled some images of a csection pouch.

Dude, I look like that and I've had 3 vaginal births!

Are we sure it's a csection thing?!? LOL

#20 B.feral3

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (Sydneyside @ 05/02/2013, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, and it was done since 2010 and in Australian hospitals... I'm not arguing that a single small study is definitive, but obviously more research is warranted because I don't think the question as to which is safer overall has actually been answered. To me there seems to be good evidence for both VBAC and ERC.

I'm not getting into that debate. I'm just saying it was an actual, peer reviewed journal article. That's the only point I was addressing.  wink.gif

Edited by Bek+3, 05 February 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#21 *little-rach*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Three c/sections here, 1 emerg. And 2 elective.

First and third were staples, second internal stitches.

No pouch at all but I have lost most feeling in the area.

#22 tres-chic

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

I've had two c-sections, after my first natural birth.

I bounced back well after the first c-section but did have a pouch I suppose after the second. I was glue, not stitches or staples.

I was able to exercise it off about 90%. Not perfect but not a fait accompli either.

#23 IsolaBella

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Flat as a tack around where my three cs took place (third was a good decision as uterus nearly ruptured at 36w3d delivery - had been offered choice of trying VBA2C or cs as originally booked when I went into labour).

Now two inches above that I have saggy droopy skin. That is just pregnancy related and not to do with cs.

Edit for Damn Autocorrect

Edited by lsolaBella, 07 February 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#24 Havanese

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (katiecoop @ 05/02/2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. The risk of a vbac (uterine rupture) is tiny (although severe) compared to the much higher risk of subjecting a child to a lifetime of compromised health, asthma, allergies, food allergies, diabetes. That's without even considering that women and babies in Australia are twice as likely to die in c section than in a natural birth... Or the higher likelihood of bleeding, infections, etc in the mother.

Really???  rolleyes.gif  Can you please explain how a CS subjects the child to a lifetime of health complications?

#25 sakura73

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (katiecoop @ 05/02/2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's without even considering that women and babies in Australia are twice as likely to die in c section than in a natural birth... Or the higher likelihood of bleeding, infections, etc in the mother. I was born via c section and have had a baby via c section and I wouldn't wish it on any child.

I suspect those statistics are skewed by the fact that emergency caesareans are often performed in circumstances where the mother or baby is at life-threatening risk already.

And as for "not wishing it on any child" -  my child was born by emergency C-section. Had he not been he would have died trying to be born because he was completely tangled in the cord. I would not wish attempted vaginal delivery in those circumstances on any child.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.