6 weeks old
2 Q's vomiting & tongue Tie

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bella86

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hi all

My dd is now 6 weeks old and has vomited since birth however since she is gaining weight the nurse suggested it was her just over feeding and bringing up the excess. I have since only give her 1 side (bf) but its not helping after every feed she throwing up out her nose and mouth. I've tried feeding her more upright, sitting her up for awhile after feeds she still brings it up if not instant it will come up later with little lumps. Sorry for TMI.

She also seems quiet windy and in pain when she was a few days old I noticed she has a heart shape tongue and the nurse suggested it was tongue tie and to get it "snipped" and that was causing her the wind (you can actually hear her suck in wind) the Dr we saw said he can't snip it she just has a short tongue.

I really don't know what to do she doesn't sleep during the day she would be lucky to get a few hrs, at night she self settles and sleeps around 3-4 hrs between feeds.

Any help I'd be greatfull TIA

#2 Feral Alpacas

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Do you mean little vomits (posits) or big vomits? Big vomits could be reflux.

#3 Bella86

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Big vomits enough to have to change her.

#4 lucky 2

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Could you see a LC to assess her tongue and feeding, a heart shaped tongue usually means there is a tongue tie.
Do you mean she is clicking when she is feeding, the click can be when she loses the suction on your breast during sucking, it can happen for some or all sucks and it's sort of like the breast isn't stable in the mouth, it slips about.
This is also a sign of tongue tie.
Could you see a different Dr?
If you are in Melb I do have some recommendations re Drs who are experienced with tongue ties.

#5 Paddlepop

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Please get a second opinion about your DD's tongue. It sounds like it has the characteristic shape of a tongue tie.

Unknown to me, my DD had a tongue tie. I only worked it out when she was about 2.5yo. Last week at 3yo she had it corrected under a GA in hospital and has stitches. The difference in how far her tongue comes out is amazing.

I think that up until about 4 months old it should be a simple cut in a doctor's office with no stitches or anything else needed, except for an immediate feed to calm and soothe baby. After this the frenulum under the tongue starts to develop nerves and blood vessels, and correcting the tie becomes much more complicated eg my DD.

Please go to a GP, and get a referral to a paediatrician if necessary. Make sure that it is one who is willing to correct the tongue tie, and get an appointment for before your baby turns 4 months old. Or, as lucky 2 has suggested, see a LC or other breastfeeding professional for assessment of the tongue.

#6 lucky 2

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Paddlepop I think it is best that baby be under 3 months of age, but 4 would be great!

#7 emm79

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

My little boy was TT, I noticed it within about 20 minutes of his being born!  It wasn't pulling back much, more flat rather than the full heart shape, but it affected him enough that he couldn't actually latch on, and I had to use a nipple shield until it was snipped when he was 4 weeks old (after expressing and syringe feeding him to start with before we started using the shield).

It sounds to me from your description like your DD has a TT, and wind certainly comes with the territory.  Whereabouts are you?  Maybe someone in the city your in, or nearby, can recommend a Dr or paed who deals with TT's.

While it might only affect her feeding now, if it's a more severe TT, it can also affect teeth development and speech development further down the track.

edit for double post

Edited by emm79, 05 February 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#8 Bella86

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'm in melb ladies so any advice would be great, the dr we saw was a oral surgeon who my LC put me onto he does them every day.. Although on the day he couldn't get a great look he just brushed it off as a short tongue.

#9 lucky 2

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (Bella86 @ 05/02/2013, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in melb ladies so any advice would be great, the dr we saw was a oral surgeon who my LC put me onto he does them every day.. Although on the day he couldn't get a great look he just brushed it off as a short tongue.

With your LC passing you on to him and if he is an oral (?paed) surgeon you'd think it would be ok then?
When you say he didn't get a great look what do you mean, ie was he actually able to see under his tongue?
Tricky, could you have another chat with your LC and ? another visit to follow up post the surgeon visit and to review the possiting?
All the best.

#10 Bella86

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55730672@N03/...214171/sizes/n/
This is her tongue

#11 Paddlepop

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Wow! That does look like a tongue tie shape! Very classic.

Have you looked under her tongue to see where the frenulum (stringy joiny stuff) starts in relation to the tip of her tongue? My DD's was right to the tip of her tongue. It looks like your DD's must start right near the tip too. Since her surgery last week it is now way back, and much more like my own tongue. We also found out that my DH has a tongue tie that he was unaware of. Tongue tie tends to run in families.

If you have trouble holding your DD's slippery little tongue it can help to use a muslin wrap or piece of gauze or something similiar to hold the tongue. Or just wait till she is crying really strongly and have a look then!

I'm very surprised that the oral surgeon just dismissed your DD's tongue like that, especially because he was recommended by the LC. Contact the LC again and explain how the appointment went, and ask for another recommendation. You could also ask lucky 2 to PM you the names of doctors she knows who will do tongue tie release. Alternatively, just start calling paediatricians and asking if they will do a tongue tie release, and then go to a GP for the referral once you find one who will do it.

It sounds quite miserable for your poor little bubba to be vomiting up so badly after a feed, and such a mess for you to clean up. My niece had reflux and it was such a relief for my brother and SIL once she was able to walk and be upright and it stopped eventually.

Trust your mother's instinct.

#12 lucky 2

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Does your little one stick her tongue out any further than that?
Does it lift at all in her mouth, ie when she cries?
If not that may be because it cant go any further forward or up, ie it might be "tied" down?
I'm not saying it is or isn't "tied" or trying to "diagnose" a tongue tie over the net (I cant and shouldn't).
I've put in a link to some other pictures of babies with tongue ties so you can form your own opinion.
How about calling your LC tomorrow for a chat re what has happened, she knows what it looks like.
All the best.
http://www.tonguetie.net/index.php?option=...=view&id=12

#13 Bella86

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

That's her poking it out so no doesn't go any further. When she is full on crying you can see the bit underneath but it's really hard to get a good look. I'll follow my gut and get a second opinion.

#14 Bella86

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Just thought I'd update...
I got dd's tongue checked again and confirmed it was infact TT so we had it snipped and wow what an amazing change she can now touch the roof of her mouth,poke it out ect hasn't helped with the vomiting though :-(

#15 Paddlepop

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Fantastic news about the improvement in tongue movement! It's amazing to see the difference once the tongue tie is released. I know that seeing DD lick her lips for the first time ever when she was eating her post-surgery ice cream was as exciting as when she crawled or walked for the first time

Are you still breastfeeding, and if you are, has it improved now that your DD's tongue is released?

I'm sorry to hear that the vomiting hasn't improved. Has she been checked for reflux?

I'm very glad that you followed your gut and got a second opinion about your DD's tongue.

#16 twirling

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

My DD4 vomited after every feed for the first 2 months (not TT). It would soak her, me and the waiting towel! She was still putting on weight, very windy and unsettled. For us I think it was my milk coming too fast, though she coped just fine with it I think she got alot of foremilk, less hindmilk, extra wind and it was giving her an unsettled tummy (she also had terrible poos, not normal BF poos). I tried laying down to feed her but it usually just came out her nose then. I stopped eating most things in my diet, just bland stuff. Only ever fed her one side and leaned back on lounge chair to try to slow flow... dont know if any of this worked but she just eventually grew out of it. Sorry I havent helped much but your not alone!

#17 lucky 2

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

That's great news about her tongue freedom  biggrin.gif  .
With the possiting, it's ok I suppose if she is feeling ok and not upset about it, and of course still growing normally.
Did your LC have any ideas? Have you tried feeding in more of an upright position?

#18 pink2

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Well done with trusting your instinct with the TT. My DD2 had one, fixed at 5 days old and never looked back. Regarding the throwing up, my DD1 was a big chucker for the first few months which worried me no end.  I used to think she was losing most of every feed. The best advice I got, from the MCHN, was to put 50ml of milk in a cup, which looks like nothing much, and throw it on a bench, it looks like a massive amount! It made me realise she was still getting plenty. Once my supply settled, the chucking did too. Good luck.

#19 Ellie bean

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Hi I don't know anything about TT but it does sound like your daughter may have reflux. Reflux is only a minor problem for most bubs but for a small % it's really painful- my daughter was in agony from 6 wks till we got her diagnosed and treated. If you check out an organisation called RISA - www.reflux.org.au - it has some great info, it's a not for profit organisation that helps reflux parents, they helped me a lot. Good luck original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.