On the subject of contraceptives...
tell me about your Mirena experience

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 ~Alchemy~

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I know it's been asked on here before but thought I'd get some fresh answers. Looking to go onto the Mirena. I have been on the pill for 5 months now but it was always going to be temporary until I decided whether I'd get the Mirena put in.

I've read the pamphlet/talked to my doctor but would love to hear about your first hand experience please.

FTR I have reasonably bad skin (always have) and it doesn't seem to get better/worse on the pill.
I had breakthrough bleeding during the first 3 months of the pill but has settled down now.
Quite prone to getting thrush sad.gif the pill seems to make it slightly worse but I can't really be sure.

#2 sophiasmum

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

I am getting it next week. Doctor said expect irregular/breakthrough bleeding for the 1st 6-9 mths which I am not looking forward to. I have a friend who stopped having periods while on it, I'm hoping that happens to me!

#3 feralisles

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hi Alchemy,

I used the mirena for nearly 10 years and LOVED it.  I had acne prior to going on the pill - the pill cleared it up for me, and it didn't come back after I switched to mirena.  There was a small amount of irregular spotting, nothing heavy, in the first 3 or 4 months.  After that, no bleeding at all - ever!
I didn't have any side effects other than that bit of spotting in the early days.  (The manufactures call having no periods a side effect but I call that a benefit).  No thrush, no mood changes, no weight gain, nothing.  It was brilliant for me.
Oh by the way, it did hurt like hell going in so you might like to consider a brief anaesthetic if you get it done.

#4 caitiri

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I got mine after 2nd child and its was good whilst I was BF and not ovulating, but as soon as I  started I got vry painful cramps and pressure, irregular periods and breakthrough bleeding  after any sort of activity.  I kept it in to see if it would settle but it didn't so after 2 years I got it out a couple of weeks ago cue the postpartum like bleeding.

So my advice is that if it works it will work really well I'd give it 6-8 months but after that I would ditch it if its not working for you.

#5 lactasticmama

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I've had mine in for 3 months now, and it's been great. I've had no side effects at all. I do occasionally get a tiny amount of spotting maybe once a week/fortnight. I'm yet to get my period back, but I don't want it back anyway wink.gif I'm tandem breastfeeding both my 2yr old & 6mth old DD's, so that may be also keeping my period at bay.

Insertion was fine. I'd heard it was painful, so was expecting it to be bad. But for me it was no more than the discomfort of a Pap smear. I did take some panadol before my appointment though original.gif

ETA, My Dr advised me to give it 4mths, and if it was causing me problems & I didn't like it, I could see her about taking it out.

Edited by PippityRoo, 04 February 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#6 mumto3princesses

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hi,

I had the mirena for awful heavy periods. My Gyno said if I agreed to try it he wanted me to leave it for at least 5 months before taking it out if it didn't work. When I had it put in I had continuous bleeding for just OVER 4 and a half months! Then it stopped and I got nothing except the odd spot once every couple of months. The Gyno said that was unusual considering how bad my periods were and expected it to be a more normal period. At first I thought Yay this is great.

Then I had trouble with my skin, had problems with hair loss, anxiety got worse, didn't like to be hugged anymore. Then I gained weight slowly over the 18mths I had it and the other problems didn't get any better so I decided to get it taken out. A couple of days later I realised I also had a weird foggyness in my head. Its hard to explain and I didn't realise I had the foggyness until it lifted. Symptoms got better soon after.

#7 Katie_bella

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Another with a less successful story im afraid. I bled everyday for 7 months (horrible sticky brown stuff, sorry if TMI). Also had the anxiety symptoms, not wanting to be touched, low libido etc. My Doc told me a small number of women don't respond well to progesterone only types of contraceptives.

I had it removed at 7 months, went onto Nuvorings and haven't looked back. Mind you, i've been gestating and lactating for over 2 years now so haven't had to worry for a while!

#8 greenrainbow

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

I've had the mirena for 14 months now and LOVE it! No more 8 day long periods, just very occasional spotting. I too have horrible skin, never improved with the pill, in fact some pills made it worse, neither better or worse with the mirena. I was concerned with my lack of libido for the first 6-8 months but that has definitely improved now. I didn't find it too painful when it was inserted (took panadol beforehand) although i did have period pain type cramps on and off for a few days after.

#9 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

I only had it in for 5 weeks - made me cranky, depressed, anxious, etc etc.  Changed my personality.  Also I bled on off the whole time.  I hated it.

Was very disappointed as I thought it sounded fabulous.

#10 Ferelsmegz

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I love my Mirena - need to get it changed this year....

#11 EJ75

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I had my mirena inserted back in Nov last year so I am still in the fairly early stages of my body adjusting.  I had it put in due to extremely heavy periods.  

Since insertion my periods are soooo much lighter.  Only problem is, is that I bleed (lightly) for 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off.  Still it is better than been house bound for a couple of days each month.  

The only thing I have noticed is that I am starting to have some hair loss. Nothing extreme but definitely noticable when I wash my hair.  My hair has always been really strong and the only time I have lost it is when breastfeeding.  I finished BF DS2 in May 12 and the hair loss stopped almost immediately.  The mirena is the only thing I can think of that might be causing it.  I also don't have much of libido atm but that could also be due to the fact that DS2 is a horrid sleeper and I haven't had much energy for anything since he was born  cry1.gif

ETA - my Gyno wanted me to have twilight sedation to have it inserted (due to having 3 CS and never having dilated as all 3 of my babies were prem).  She did a trial run on my in her rooms as I was just on the tail end of a period and she was able to get it in.  It was monentarily painful but bareable.  If I had known I was going to get it done that day, I would have had a couple of panadol before hand.  I felt a bit crampy afterwards with a back ache but was able to play touch football about 4 hours later with no pain or discomfort.

Edited by EJ75, 04 February 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#12 Havanese

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I've had the mirena in for 5 weeks now to stop dysfunctional bleeding....as I've been pretty much been bleeding every day now for 5 months as a result of hyperplasia.

But, 5 weeks on and I'm still bleeding with the mirena.. Also, I found the wires weren't cut short enough and I can feel them poking me. I've even felt what like feels like fishing wire at the entrance of my vagina! Back to gyno today to find out what's going on.

I haven't put on any weight, and I think my mood is still the same. Tried the Yasmin pill before and had a terrible time with depression.

Overall it's OK, but if I didn't need some kind of progesterone support, I'd get my gyno to take it out.

#13 GeminiSix

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Sorry another less than successful story.  I had mine put in based solely on the recommendation of my Ob.  I wish I had have done my own research beforehand.

At first I thought it was the most wonderful thing ever invented.  After a couple of months I developed anxiety and depression, but at first didn't click that it may be the Mirena.  I would sit at work with heart palpitations and I couldn't figure out what I was so anxious about.  I have since spoken to numerous people who have had the same thing.  I then went and did a bit of research myself, and I had the Mirena removed after around 9 months, and felt better within a few days.  I also experienced difficulty TTC my 3rd, my luteal phase was shorter than when TTC the first two.  I'm not sure if it was from the Mirena or not.  

So my advice to you would be to widely research it first and work out of if you think it may be right for you.  I wouldn't touch it again with a ten foot pole.

#14 Rosiebubs

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

I've had mine in for 4 months now (put in about 10 weeks post partum).  In the first 3 or 4 weeks I had spotting, acne on my back and face. However, that's now stopped, and my skin is clear, and just the odd little bit of spotting every few weeks.

Only thing is, my libido is still a bit on the low side.  But that could also be due to having a 6 month old baby who is hard to settle and wakes a few times every night!!!

I'd definitely recommend it.

#15 tanyak1

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I've had mine for 4 years now, since DS was 8 weeks old. Had spotting for the first couple of months, and since then hardly any period to speak of at all which is a fantastic side effect! No other side effects and I'm very happy with it. I wasn't keen on the insertion part of it, it was very uncomfortable and the local the OB injected into my cervix made my heart race, so I would like to see if I can have some sedation when I get it replaced later this year.

#16 kadoodle

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I got pregnant with DD2 on it original.gif

#17 Wallymaduka

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Had mine for about 7 months, and love it.  No side effects whatsoever.

Insertion was very uncomfortable though, and I nearly fainted afterwards.  Cramping for a few days after. Then bled and/or spotted for 6 weeks afterwards, which the Dr warned me about, and was normal ect.

But now - don't even think about it.  Spot very lightly for about 5 days once a month, if that.  All up it cost me about $30, as my Dr bulk bills.  

I endlessly researched both the Copper IUD and Mirena prior. Was also on the lookout for side effects, and would've had it removed immediately if I started putting weight on, or lost my libido or experienced depression ect.  But there's been nothing at all.  I love it.

Edited by 808state, 04 February 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#18 Cirrus

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

I have had Mirena for the last 9 years (one for 5 yrs, replaced by a new one 4 yrs ago).

previously I had taken normal pill and mini-pill (progesterone only pill).

Since the dose is so many hundreds of times lower and local to your uterus, the any side-effects should be a lot milder than the oral contraceptives, which need to travel through your blood in high doses. (eg impact on your skin etc)

Moodwise -
I found the mini pill the absolute worst - if I didnt don't  it at exactly the same time everyday I became an extremely moody crazy lady which is no fun

Insertion-
Painful in a sharp jabbing way but only for 10min of procedure, although they said if you have given birth or a heavy period at the date of the appointment it's not as bad since the pain is from pushing it through the cervix, os they said not everyone feels pain. My friend (no babies yet) got one and said it was less uncomfortable than a pap-smear.

Recovery-
After you get it your uterus may do some cramping for a few hours which is worse if you don't relax. I handled this the second time by having paracetamol before the appointment and DP to collect me from the appointment to take me straight home to take some naprogesic (bought especially) and straight into be to sleep it off. Woke up fine and super glad to have 5 years more contraception

Spotting-
Tiny amount for one or 2 days every 2nd month, but more frequently than this for the first ~4 months, so if this is the only thing that bothers you then give it some time to see if it improves.

NO PERIOD, which is awesome

Convenience-
No need to think about it again for ANOTHER 5 YEARS
No need to buy/pack contraceptives or tampons!
Don't have to think about medicines like antibiotics or antimalarials messing with it
Quick time to conception following removal, compared to oral contraceptives or the arm implant

Thrush-
I have had this mildly a few times and my Gyn said it can be more common with Mirena.

You may find it's the greatest thing that ever came along

It may be easier for you than others to tell the difference between 'going off the pill' effects and 'mirena' effects, since you have only been on the pill 5 months

#19 Rosiebubs

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 04/02/2013, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On no, that is not what I wanted to hear... Did it fall out or something?

#20 mummabear

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I wish I could tell you! But with my weird uterus the good gyno told me she can't guarantee I won't fall pregnant. So I guess I won't have one of those then...

But good luck, I have some friends who absolutely swear by them!

#21 Sugared

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

I saw this and had to add my very bad (albeit very rare) experience with Mirena. I had mine put it 10 weeks after having my bub and experienced significant pain on insertion. I felt quite unwell afterwards, so the doctor decided to remove it, as she assumed I had had a bad reaction. Once she went to remove it however, she was unable to locate the device.
Several abdominal and internal ultrasounds and an x-ray later, it was determined that the Mirena had perforated the uterine wall, and was sitting on the outside of my uterus. This required keyhole surgery (and overnight in hospital) to remove it.
My doctor had never had (or seen) this happen before, it is apparently a 1/1000 risk. You probably don't really need to consider this in making your decision, but I just wanted to mention it as I had no idea it was a possibility!

#22 DamiansMama

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Havanese @ 04/02/2013, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had the mirena in for 5 weeks now to stop dysfunctional bleeding....as I've been pretty much been bleeding every day now for 5 months as a result of hyperplasia.

But, 5 weeks on and I'm still bleeding with the mirena.. Also, I found the wires weren't cut short enough and I can feel them poking me. I've even felt what like feels like fishing wire at the entrance of my vagina! Back to gyno today to find out what's going on.

I haven't put on any weight, and I think my mood is still the same. Tried the Yasmin pill before and had a terrible time with depression.

Overall it's OK, but if I didn't need some kind of progesterone support, I'd get my gyno to take it out.

I thought these things only happen to me  ohmy.gif I was digging in my garden and felt a 'pinch'. Yep. Turns out it was the Mirena wire!!

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 04/02/2013, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gosh. Now that is scary.

I went on the Mirena for heavy periods (hasn't eased whatsoever) and because of my horrible acne (still battling this). I seriously think it is time to have it taken out sad.gif

#23 *Zen*

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

I've had mine since August. It made me really moody for first 6-8 weeks, like really bad sad.gif break through bleeding wasn't really an issue. My skin is dreadful though, and my libido has taken a bit of a hit.

I'm kinda just tolerating it, in the world of hormonal BC its ok I guess. Can't wait until hubby has the snip one day and I don't need to use it

#24 ~Alchemy~

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Oh bummer sad.gif to all these stories.

Thanks for sharing ladies. You've given me a lot to think about.

#25 Jax12

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I've had it for over 2 years and no problems, although my period is back now and as regular as ever.  It took about 12 months for it to return (I was also breastfeeding) but they are lighter and less painful now.

To PP regarding the wires - you are supposed to be able to feel them at the entrance of your cervix.  They start off quite firm and soften over time.

In all the reading I have done they are either a godsend or a nightmare, so I think you won't really now how your body is going to respond OP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.