How to quit smoking

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hiddensecrets

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

I am asking this for a friend:

How do you quit smoking if you cant do it cold turkey (gave you the shakes) and you are allergic to nicorette gum or champix tablets etc......

Any advice???

#2 bakesgirls

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

Your friend would be best off speaking to their GP first to see if there is anything that they could take that would be suitable. Failing that have they ever called the 'Quit' line? I'm pretty sure they would also be able to give advice as to what may help your friend.

Besides that, if there was an easy solution, whoever the inventor was, would be a gazillionaire original.gif

http://www.quitnow.gov.au/

Edited by bakesgirls, 04 February 2013 - 12:10 AM.

#3 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

I am a smoker.  I managed to give up when pregnant, but then took it up again.

I still smoke.  

One of my closest and oldest friends who smoked 30 a day for 30 years went to one Alan Carr based public talk and walked out if it a non smoker.  He didn't even want to stop smoking, he went because his wife begged him to.

He hasn't smoked since.  That was about 5 months ago.  This is the one person I've ever  known who didn't seem to give a sh*t about quitting.  He didn't want to.

but he went from 30 a day to being a non smoker after one talk.  That is not usually him.

So knowing him I'm going to give huge kudos to the Alan Carr method.

Please tell your friend to look into it.

#4 Dresden

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

Electronic cigarettes? Failing that, wean yourself down slowly. If you normally smoke 30 day, on day one, have on 25 on you and no money to buy more. Day two, have 20 on you etc... Good luck!

#5 ~spirited~

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

I've used the Alan Carr method successfully (a few times, but I quit for at least 3-6 months each time, and have now not smoked in over 6 years).

His book is called 'how to quit smoking the easy way'. You continue to smoke while you read it, then when you reach the end of the book smoke your last cigarette (and it is not enjoyable at all).

My sister now smokes electronic cigarettes, and I have noticed a big improvement in her health etc.

#6 Bubblicious

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

Alan Carr's easy way to quit smoking. It smashes all the beliefs that smokers hold tight to. I am saving up to go after watching 3 extremely heavy smokers just stop, none of them even think about them anymore!

2 are my parents, 1 is a family friend, do I have been able to closely watch the results

#7 Ranunculus

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

I have quit twice before using hypnotherpy (4 years apart) and to be honest it was easy! After the first session I went home and had a beer in my normal smoking spot, didn't have anything craving to light one up amazingly!
    Then about 3 years later (Start of last year) I moved back to family who smoked socially and started to pick it up again. Went back to get it knocked on the head and again, super easy!

Hypnotherpy doesn't work for everyone though!

#8 jamesbrook01

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

To be honest quitting on smoking is quite hard you really need a lot of motivation and self control to achieve it.I also use to quit on smoking but it make me hard that's why i use to by electronic cigarette in Sweden at www.paulsaar.se which help me to reduce the amount of cigarette that i smoke and i also reduce the risk on smoking.

Edited by jamesbrook01, 20 February 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#9 mel43

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

I read Allen Carr's book too. Cost less than a packet of smokes and I haven't had a cigarette in over 100 days now.
    I also got an app for my phone that shows health benefits, money saved etc.

#10 Vickery

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

DH and I both quit successfully using the Allen Carr book. Neither of us has touched a cigarette in 9 years.

#11 maurie

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Allen Carr is my hero - haven't had a cigarette in 8 years and I LOVED to smoke, just hated what it was doing to me.

My brother quit 2 months ago after one visit to a hypnotist-guy (his words), brother smoked heavily for 40 years and only went to hypnotist-guy because workmates were going and work paid for it.

#12 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

A friend of DH's family quit smoking by weaning herself off them virtually 1 cigarette at a time.

She smoked 1 less cigarette a day each week. It took her 5 years, but she had been a chain smoker for over 40 years by that stage.

#13 GenWhy

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Ex smoker here. Champix didn't work for me - I smoked more in an effort to make myself like the taste of them again. Yes I was that addicted sadly. I'm allergic to patches too - they make my skin blister and itch and I get a shocking migraine.

I tried hypnotherapy - walked out and lit up. Tried inhalers and got a headache and it wasn't the real deal so I threw it out. Tried cold turkey and was successful for 2 years until my life went to hell and it was the only thing keeping me semi sane.

What did work and continues to work was reading Alan Carrs book. When I feel the urge to buy a pack I read through a few pages and remember why I don't smoke. Brilliant book!

#14 Chchgirl

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I went cold turkey and rode through the pain lol! I tried three times over about a year, tried patches but they were useless..I had a smoke one day and nearly vomited. That about did it for me, been 16 years now.

#15 TheCeriseClupea

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

I smoke, I tried to give up using Champix. It was the worst time I have ever had. I had mood swings something shocking. I also had intense chest pains. I saw my doctor as soon as it started & she said to stop them straight away. I tried again cold turkey I lasted 3 months then something extremely stressful happened & I started up again. I am going to try the Alan Carr books because I am facing 2 lots of major surgery this year & I really am sick of smoking.

#16 TheMuriels

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

My partner quit with Allen Carr as well.  His book is awesome.  So tragic that he died of lung cancer in the end after saving so many other lives.

#17 Cuddlesnkisses

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Easily, it's a conscious decision to either smoke or not.

I smoked for 24 years, my mum had a lung removed from lung cancer last year and I watched her go through all the emotional turmoil.  it broke my heart to watch my mums world fall apart and not be able to fix it.

All i could think about was my daughter watching me go through the same thing, and I just couldnt put her through that.

That was last August, haven't smoked since.

No I just need to lose  the weight original.gif

#18 Lady Lovely Locks

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

I tried a few times cold turkey, and in the end it did work, but it took me more than one go. The first time I did it on a whim, and stuck with it for a month but once I had a few drinks BOOM over.
    The time I quit for good (4 years woo!) was again cold turkey, but I had a bad cold too which helped a great deal i think getting through the first few weeks (I am not suggesting you go around licking bus seats for viruses lol) Each time I was more persistent than the time before, and I think the mental preparedness strengthens each time.

#19 mel43

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (TheMuriels @ 21/02/2013, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My partner quit with Allen Carr as well.  His book is awesome.  So tragic that he died of lung cancer in the end after saving so many other lives.

I only found out he'd passed a few weeks ago and I wondered if it was lung cancer. How sad sad.gif

#20 Chchgirl

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (Cuddlesnkisses @ 21/02/2013, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Easily, it's a conscious decision to either smoke or not.

I smoked for 24 years, my mum had a lung removed from lung cancer last year and I watched her go through all the emotional turmoil.  it broke my heart to watch my mums world fall apart and not be able to fix it.

All i could think about was my daughter watching me go through the same thing, and I just couldnt put her through that.

That was last August, haven't smoked since.

No I just need to lose  the weight original.gif

You wouldn't believe how many family members I have seen die of lung cancer. Aunty, uncle, grandmother on my side, two cousins on dh's side. Plus a friend..my dh died of cancer but not the same sort.

#21 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (LeChatNinjah @ 04/02/2013, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I am a smoker.  I managed to give up when pregnant, but then took it up again.

I still smoke.  

One of my closest and oldest friends who smoked 30 a day for 30 years went to one Alan Carr based public talk and walked out if it a non smoker.  He didn't even want to stop smoking, he went because his wife begged him to.

He hasn't smoked since.  That was about 5 months ago.  This is the one person I've ever  known who didn't seem to give a sh*t about quitting.  He didn't want to.

but he went from 30 a day to being a non smoker after one talk.  That is not usually him.

So knowing him I'm going to give huge kudos to the Alan Carr method.

Please tell your friend to look into it.

Yes, this is what helped my DH quit....I didn't know he had passed away, very sad...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.