Is this rude?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 zande

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Edited by zande, 04 February 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#2 Stellajoy

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

So so so rude!

#3 FeralHez

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Little bit rude,I might have said "oh I didn't get that message", but not fair of them to insist you keep it free then not tell you when they change their minds.

Hopefully they get over it.

Little bit rude,I might have said "oh I didn't get that message", but not fair of them to insist you keep it free then not tell you when they change their minds.

Hopefully they get over it.

#4 bubble-o

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Definitely rude of her. You had every right to gently remind her that some common courtesy wouldn't have gone amiss if her plans had changed. It's a no-brainer that people have really busy lives and weekends.

Stick to your guns on this one. I'd be majorly pi**ed if someone stole one of my precious weekend days like that.

#5 Zesty

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Definitely not cool. I would be annoyed in your situation as well.

#6 BadCat

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yes, she was rude.

#7 esme weatherwax

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

They are totally in the wrong on this one - can't believe they didn't even bother to tell people they'd changed plans. So, so rude.

#8 elizabethany

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

She may have just forgotten to let you know about the change of date, and while it is not rude to send a "we wern't told" sms, if you used similar wording to what is in the OP, then the wording was rude.  A simple "thanks for letting us know, and please let us know when you have more details" would have been suffiecient.

#9 MGB

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

I think she was rude.

#10 luke's mummu

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Yes she was rude, but you were probably a bit too.

I had a friend for ages say "keep my 40th birthday weekend free, I am planning a big weekend away". So I did. Never heard anything from her. Checked with several mutual friends - no, no-one got invited away and as far as we know she didn't do anything.

#11 maryanneK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

they were rude, definitely. but I don't think you needed to send that message back, that was pretty nasty too. Who knows what's going on in their life, they might have just forgotten who they had told about the 'save the date'.  If I hadn't heard anything so close to the event I'd be calling them for more details.
For me personally, I wouldn't re-organise my whole life like that without contacting them first maybe 2-3 weeks out and asking if they still needed me to save the date. A save the date has to be either 'definite' - like for an interstate wedding or something, when you know its just the fine details to follow. otherwise I'd see it as more of a 'heads up' that they might be thinking of doing something, unless I heard confirmation of a definite event with at least a few weeks notice.
annoying for sure but i wouldnt start a family fight over it!

#12 Therese

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think she was rude too but I probably wouldn't have said anything to them. I would however have complained to my husband about it instead.

#13 Oriental lily

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Inconsiderate.
Rude is probably a bit to harsh.

#14 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

She was inconsiderate, and that can be rude.  As for your rudeness, unless you were really nasty in your reply to her I think you were well within the confines of politeness by expressing your disappointment at not having been notified.

#15 honeylulu

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

I think your relative was being rude or, at best, very inconsiderate. I don't think your text was rude, just honest, and the sort of text I wish I could send rather than internally fuming over similar events.

#16 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

I have a rude question that's so not related to this post but kind of is that I shall start a new thread about it.

#17 MsFeralPerthFembo

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Yes I think she was inconsiderate and rude but depending on how you worded your text back I think you may have been a bit rude too though.

#18 namie

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

I think she was rude and inconsiderate.

I don't think your reply was rude given you said she is rather like this all the time. If it was a one off from a lovely friend then your text would've been rude, but if she was that type of person you wouldn't have phrased it the way you did!

#19 strawberrycakes

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

I think it was rather inconsiderate of the person to not tell you that no plans were going ahead for the 'save the date' but tbh if I hadn't heard back from them with more details atleast 2 weeks before the initial 'save the date' I would have just asumed that nothing was going on.  

I probably wouldn't have sent that text but a week prior would have sent something along the lines of: "hey X, haven't heard anything more about next weekend, am I still saving that date?" then left it at that.

#20 zande

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Edited by zande, 04 February 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#21 bakesgirls

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I don't think you were rude at all. I think she was. All you did was respond with a fact and you didn't say anything that was unfair. If she doesn't like it then perhaps a little consideration for others would remedy that situation in the future.

#22 Queen Yoda

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (zande @ 04/02/2013, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks all. I am feeling terrible about it now, but seriously it was the last straw with this person (family member). She seems to think, and has done for 10 years now, that her life is the only one that matters and we all have to fit in with what she wants to do. She's never made any effort with my family and I've bent over backwards to be a great SIL, make her feel welcome, want to have a relationship with her kids, despite her never caring about mine. Her text was all about how busy they were, not a real apology that they should have let us know, when I've arranged all my plans for the weekends either side of her date around her date. We've passed up stuff, crammed the other weekends full, and she couldn't even let me know? I know she would have let the other people know (her friends), just not us, the family she doesn't seem to want.

take a deep breath, let it go.  

And just learn for next time.  Make your own plans if she hasn't updated you within a reasonable time frame.  Then you can say, "well after last time, we figured you'd changed your mind again since you hadn't got back to us with any details so we've recently made alternative plans. Sorry, we're busy now."  Simple and polite.

#23 Heather11

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Not family, but one of the kids sporting activities were meant to be holding an event recently that I had volunteered to help at.

I helped round up other people to help, changed our plans, DH had to cancel something so he could stay home with the kids.  

I rang the organiser to confirm details a few days beforehand  only to be told it was cancelled.  I don't think it had only just been cancelled either.  It seemed like the decision had been made for at least a couple of weeks.

I inquired if they had let the other helpers know.  Nope no one had been informed.  If I hadn't have rung up we would have all turned up for nothing.

Definitely rude and inconsiderate, in your case too.  I don't see anything wrong with you telling them that they could of informed you earlier.

Edited by Heather11, 04 February 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#24 ComradeBob

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

I think she was very rude, especially with the background you've given. Possibly you could have been a bit more tactful, but you know, sometimes you just have to think feckit and let fly laugh.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

What you need to know about pregnancy and health insurance

It's not just waiting periods that couples need to consider - there are other factors to consider when thinking about health insurance.

Yummy mummy

Nicole Trunfio breastfeeds baby on Elle magazine cover

Australian model Nicole Trunfio has taken the concept of multitasking to a fashionable new level for Elle Australia.

Warnings after baby girl died while sleeping in bouncer

Parents have been warned about the dangers of letting babies sleep in bouncers and swings following the death of a three-month-old girl.

Coping with fatigue as a parent

Sleep deprivation is a real hazard of caring for a baby. But there are ways to manage the challenges of fatigue better.

A very 21st century issue: parents, parks and smart phones

It's not all the parents, and it's not all the time, but there is often at least one doing it. And sometimes, that 'one' is me.

Appliances

Faulty washing machines linked to house fires

More than 80,000 faulty Samsung washing machines pose a fire threat in homes throughout Australia despite a nationwide recall of the machines.

'I had a lotus birth and I loved it'

Lotus birthing is not all that common, but for a number of women it feels like the most natural thing to do.

7 things you might not know about postnatal depression

Despite its widespread nature, there is still a great amount of mystery surrounding PND - and it's important to try unravelling as much of that as we can.

Is your family's car part of the world's biggest safety recall?

More than 50 million vehicles recalled for potentially lethal airbag fault - is your car affected?

Why drinking water can be deadly for babies

H2O is one of the necessities of life, but for babies a seemingly harmless amount of water can be fatal.

Mother-in-law faceplants during proposal

He had it all planned: a romantic proposal on a windswept beach. The whole family would be there so they'd all be able to celebrate the joyous moment together.

A preschooler suddenly goes mute - and it's not just shyness

When our son stopped talking, our sense of loss was painful and acute.

The mums who ask for a 'wife bonus'

They run their homes like domestic CEOs and work tirelessly to improve their family's social standing. And now, according to a new book, they want an annual perk from their husbands.

Woman shares photo of dimple on breast to warn others of cancer risk

A widely-shared Facebook photograph of a British woman's breast has raised awareness of a more subtle breast cancer symptom.

Starting a family despite a low sperm count

"I'd never really failed a test - how could I fail this particularly manly test?"

It's official: we must better protect our kids from toxic lead exposure

New guidelines have been released, aimed at reducing children's harmful exposure to lead. But they still don't go far enough.

Trouble-shooting toddler social skills

Chances are your toddler's behaviour is all completely normal - but here's how to tackle some common social problems.

Helping your first-born welcome a sibling

We did sigh with joy at the arrival of a royal princess - but, mostly, we sighed with pity at the sight of Prince George being taken to meet her.

Farewell, daytime nap

I've been in denial and I'm not too proud to beg, but it appears I must accept the fact that you have gone. I need to let you go.

The identical triplets who are one in 50 million

The father of identical triplets born in a Texas hospital says his three daughters, including conjoined twins, are "a miracle" sent by God.

Seven questions you should be asking about your health cover

If the last time you assessed your health cover was five years ago, there?s a chance it may no longer suit your needs. To ensure it?s still right for your family, click here for seven questions to ask.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

How to use gas effectively in labour

Many women in labour don't use gas effectively and suffer more side effects than benefits. Here's how to get the most out of this pain relief option.

'He has gastro but that's okay, right?': sick kid etiquette

We cannot place all children who are sick in a bubble till they recover, but we can give other parents a choice about exposing their kids to them.

Ada Nicodemou: 'I can never be completely happy again'

Home and Away actress Ada Nicodemou has opened up about the loss of her stillborn baby.

10 things to consider when you're thinking about trying for a baby

Before you start tracking your menstrual cycle and reading up on the best positions to get pregnant, there are a few other things you may want to consider.

How special surgery and IVF can create a post-vasectomy baby

Cricket legend Glenn McGrath and his second wife Sara are expecting their first child together, thanks to IVF and a delicate surgical sperm retrieval process that helped the couple to conceive.

Belle Gibson's mother 'disgusted and embarrassed'

The mother of disgraced wellness blogger Belle Gibson has accused her daughter of lying about her childhood in an attempt to garner public sympathy.

Doctor's mobile phone 'left inside c-section mum'

A new mum claims a doctor left his mobile phone inside her after delivering her baby via caesarean section.

I'm a mum and I'm following my dreams

I want my kids to know that no matter what happens in life, you can still be who it is that you've always wanted to be.

Those first daycare days

I had this innate 'mum' moment the other day.

'If one person had listened, my life would have been so different'

Katherine's father will die in prison for the horrifying sexual abuse of his daughter. Yet she is the one with the true life sentence.

This new plan undermines breastfeeding and baby health at everyone's expense

Mothers, babies, the health system and the wider society are going to pay the price of this new budget.

Couple to celebrate terminally ill baby's birthday in unique way

Baby Jai Bishop has lived at Starship Hospital for the past seven months, with his parents flying back and forth from Hokitika, 1100km away, to be by his side.

Life On Mars

It's men who need 'retraining', not women

We are all responsible for our own behaviour. Telling victims to harden up is wrong.

Baby Gammy's dad tries to claim charity money

The biological father of baby Gammy has reportedly tried to access charity money raised for the little boy's medical costs.

Where are the childcare places?

It?s all very well to encourage women to work if they choose to, but how can the measures lead to increased workforce participation when women are once again left holding the baby?

The pain of not having babies and not knowing why

After seven years of wishing, hoping, crying, punching pillows and shouting "why me?!", the end result is more than I ever thought possible.

Getting your family finances in order

Whether you're after a new car for a growing family, a bigger house, or are just fixing up your finances, here are the basics on borrowing.

Mum shares graphic selfie to warn against tanning

A mum has shared a graphic photo of her skin cancer treatment as a warning to others.

Does parenthood make us happier?

We can certainly gain higher levels of happiness when we become parents, but the trick is to not get overwhelmed by the pressures of raising our kids.

No, having a dog is not like having a human child

It's obvious these people dote on their pets, but they're barking up the wrong tree.

Top baby names

Baby Names

The numbers are in and we can now bring you the 2014 top baby name list for Australia.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.