How to get ahead when living week to week?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 justthegirls

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Right now I'm living week to week financially.  I want to be able to save, but there just isn't the surplus of funds to save.  I don't have the capacity to generate any more income at the moment and the expenses I have are all contacts and can't be altered (car loan, phone, power, etc..).  

For those of you that have been in this situation before, how did you manage to get out of it and get ahead?

#2 PatG

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Not all of your expenses are contracts - I assume you buy food?  Also you can attempt to lower your utility bills (use less power).  

In order to start saving in your position you need to start small.  Really investigate exactly where you money goes and pick one place to save $5 this week.  If you have credit card debt then you possibly don't want to be saving money - you want to be paying off the debt and saving yourself the extra interest charges.

#3 roses99

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Cut down the grocery bill by buying meat etc in bulk and cooking in bulk. I use a slow cooker (but you can easily do casseroles etc in the oven) andante a lot of meals in advance. Also lasagne etc. Cooking like that saves money and you avoid buying processed food and take away.

Also when do you get out of your phone contract? I'm amazed at what some people spend in phone contracts. That could well be an opportunity to save in the future.

Finally, an idea to save power. A friend who also lives week to week (single mum, ex refuses to pay maintenance) swears by those little portable gas burners with the gas canisters. The burner will only set you back $20 and you can sit it on your bench top. My friend says she has really lowered her power bill by using that to boil water, cook etc rather than using her electric kettle and electric stove.

#4 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Well, I'm Doing this
http://www.allthingsmw.com/52-week-money-challenge/
It seems achieveable - initially its only a tiny amount a week. Its so simple - I aim to have this chunk of money left over for Christmas.

Having said that, we have spent the last 11 years living from pay to pay, and yeah, it sucks. And finding where you can cut back can be hard too. I shop at Aldi for many things, I bulk buy my meats and freeze them, I do as much bulk stuff as I can. But that's all fairly obvious stuff.

Thank goodness our last payment on our crippling personal loan is this month - its been like paying a mortgage but having nothing to show for it!

I think you just have to keep chopping away and keep finding ways of shopping "smarter".

#5 PatG

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (roses99 @ 03/02/2013, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally, an idea to save power. A friend who also lives week to week (single mum, ex refuses to pay maintenance) swears by those little portable gas burners with the gas canisters. The burner will only set you back $20 and you can sit it on your bench top. My friend says she has really lowered her power bill by using that to boil water, cook etc rather than using her electric kettle and electric stove.

If you are at all considering this please please make sure you don't do it in an unventilated area.  Incomplete combustion can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.  And don't forget you still have to pay for the energy - the cost of the replaceable canisters as well as the initial outlay.

#6 SW-

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

I find it hard to believe about the portable gas burners.  I personally find them quite expensive when we go camping.  We seem to go threw a canister a day.  Maybe I cook to much.

We now use a small gas bottle and a ring on top for cooking and that lasts ages.  Not sure about using it in side all the time.

Edited by silverwattle, 03 February 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#7 justthegirls

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

I already have a gas stovetop, hot water and heating.  My last power bill was $180 for the quarter, and $50 for gas which comes every two months.  After reading some other threads on here, I don't think these amounts are crazy high?

At present my food bill is around the $150-200 a week mark, for me and 3 DD's (two of which are in nappies).  That is inclusive of everything, which I don't think is that high?  I probably could cut it slightly though.

My home phone, internet and mobile are all on contracts until June 2014.

#8 Flaxen

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

The only area i can save money is the food bill, everything else is not negotiable or already reduced.
I do buy in bulk and cook batches, but mainly in winter as summer is more salady  wink.gif
But portion controlling is the key for me during tough weeks (OH is a contractor- sometimes we go weeks/months without pay)
If im not bulk cooking, a pack of meat (beef chicken pork mince) gets portioned into serving sizes (and i do "diet" size portions, lucky for me i have weight to lose   unsure.gif  )
I choose meats on special and based meals around that.
Fruit and veg in season are cheaper than meats, eat vegetarian two nights a week. (DH is not happy about that one  rolleyes.gif )
Make sure you use everything before it goes off, eg yogurt, milk bread.

#9 Rubyduck

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

You can easily cut most bills shop around for groceries, meal plan and only shop once a week don't pop in every other day just to "grab something" cut your water bill by shortening showers and only running a full washing machine if your really keen you can put a bucket in the shower and use it for watering plants. For electricity turn off unused items at the power point I think I heard unplugging them all together is even better, so you can unplug or switch off your kettle, microwave, toaster etc even your tv and computer over night so their not left on standby run your washing machine during off peak times and use your heating and cooling as little as possible.
I use quicken home accounting software to track my spending and since I've started that I've opened a netsaver account linked to my everyday account and managed to save a fair bit. You get to see exactly where your money goes and where you can cut back, it's a bit of work starting it up especially if your not used to computers but well worth it. In the first 6 weeks I noticed I spent more on cigarettes than I did on groceries! Needless to say I cut back dramatically original.gif I also noticed I was handing over a lot more to the kids than I thought all those "Mum I just need $5" or "Can I have a ice cream" moments really add up! Quicken is not free you have to purchase it but there may be free accounting software available if you look online but the main thing is to be consistent and honest with it if you spend $1 on a pk of gum the you have to log it into your software and very quickly you will see areas you can improve on, the other thing I do is automatically put $50 a week into my netsaver account and I just had to learn to live without it if it was not there in my everyday account also the day before payday I put whatever's left in my everyday account into the savings that amount varies depending on bills etc but you don't have to start with a large amount just put $10 away a week and go from there increasing it slowly.

Edited by Rubyduck, 03 February 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#10 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

This year I am just taking some money BEFORE I pay the bills, buy the food, nappies, etc, etc and then it's already put away, I opened a high interest acct where I can't make any withdrawals through the month or I don't get the high interest.  Just sort of acting like I never really got the money in the first place.

Mistake I've been making for many years is trying to have 'some left' after paying everything else, it never happens.

Once it's in the account and saved then it's just not there to pay bills or anything else, yet they still get paid.
Pay yourself first type of thing.

#11 Feralishous

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

I keep a really strict budget, and if we cut back in other areas, then it goes towards 'wants'
our phones are prepaid $15 a month, and weve never gone over on usage.
I use high interest accounts and put all the bills money over there, so we earn another few hundred a year in interest (which I use for xmas/newyears food)
I also treat savings as a bill, and will either eat toast a few times a week, or not drive anywhere to save that money

#12 mumandboys

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

I pay myself first.

I only save a small amount per month ($200 for me and $25 x 4 for the kids), but I always take it, and then I make the rest work around that.

At $25 per month I've now got over $8k in the kids bank accounts, so it definitely adds up.

#13 kez71

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

id be calling the companies i have contracts with and seeing if they can change them to lower ones. some companies are happy to help if youre in financial difficulty. Have an idea of what you'd like them to change before you call. Even $5 less than what youre paying now can be saved. if you get a few companies to put you on a lower contract you could save a bunch. No harm in trying!

#14 jessie123

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Shop around for your utilities.

Your grocery bill sounds really high if you are genuinely living week to week.

#15 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

Yeah, I agree with Jessie123  - that seems like a fair bit for a week. I know nappies cost loads - maybe look at getting some old school cloth ones? We had modern cloth and it saved us heaps over the last 3 years. I also have 2 in nappies (almost out of them though) and the cost of disposable nappies is astronomical.
Your weekly budget is my fortnightly budget. I do a big cookup on Sundays so I have everything organised for the week ahead. Much of my menu is made from scratch, so lots of spices and herbs and tinned tomatoes, and stuff like that sitting in my pantry so that I don't buy packet items as they cost a fair bit and have a fair amount of sodium and additives in them.
I get meat from the butcher, and portion it - at our butcher, it works out cheaper than woollies, Coles, or Aldi even. Our fruit is delivered by a man who goes to the markets and selects fresh fruit and veg every week, and it is great because you look at what you have and you make meals to incorporate the veggies you have been delivered. And it's also such nice fresh stuff, that it keeps really well.
Maybe you alreadydo these things, I don't know, but there is a couple of ideas that maybe might help you.

#16 MrsLexiK

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Rubyduck @ 03/02/2013, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can easily cut most bills shop around for groceries, meal plan and only shop once a week don't pop in every other day just to "grab something"

I don't always actually agree with this, both our IGA and the fruit and veg shop have a 99cent table.  It does save me more if I go to the 99cent table and pick my veggies every second day then if I go and do a weekly shop of fruit and veg and only get to utilise the 99cent table once.

OP I don't really think that $150 a week is too much, we do between $50 - $120 a week (usually if it is $120 one week it is only about $50 the next, or sometimes $75 for two weeks etc), I am planning when the baby gets here that it will be $300 a fortnight. I'm expecting it will be closer to $150 each week now as opposed to being able to get away with $30 a week every now again.  With about $50-60 spent at the butcher once a fortnight (which I am lucky is wholesale), and another $50-$60 on fruit and veg (I tried the delievery but I love certain veg and don't like others and was finding my meals were getting a bit bornign), then the rest on cleaning products (which I don't buy that much), bread, milk, flour, eggs, juice, nappies, perhaps formula, diced toms (I like to cook as much from scratch or homemade as possible so we go through a ton of diced toms) etc.  We don't tend to eat much pasta or potatoes here though the carbs that we choose to eat are more expensive (ie not 59 cents a packet) and it usually means that we use a lot of veggies to bulk it out (again adding $$,). I am expecting that where I spend a bit more money at the moment (fruit and veg) I will be able to save a bit by being able to buy the clearance items whereas working the hours that I do I am unable to do that now.

Back on topice though, just start by direct debiting into another account $10 on the day your pay goes in, then when you are doing that ok, up it to $20 a week, and so on.  You may find that you cut back on somethings, (ie rather then fill up your tank you will walk to the shops or to the friends house etc) Even if all you can manage is $10 that will be close to $520 at the end of the year.  Also if you get a tax return make sure you put that into the same account and don't touch it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.