Should I still be worried about SIDS?
Sensitive topic SIDS mentioned.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mummzy

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am just after a bit of advice. I recently moved my son into a cot from my bed. He just turned 2 last month. He is extremely tiny for a two year old. He is the size of my first son when he was 8 months old. To give you an idea he fits into a size 0 and some 1's as well as he can still fit in a baby bath.

Last night was cold here in the Blue Mountains and it's to dangerous for me to put him in a sleeping bag as he climbs out of the cot in the middle of the night when he wakes up. So he had a sheet, blanket doubled over and a cot quilt as well as his comfort pillow and blanket.

I am worried that this may be a hazard for him? He moves around a fair bit and becomes uncovered.

With my first son he wasn't allowed anything in his cot till he was after 2 but he was a lot bigger.

I know SIDS guidelines say anything from 1 and under but he is smaller then some 1 year olds.

Thanks  original.gif

#2 Lyn86

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

I don't think it's about size but more about ability? If he can climb out the cot I'm sure he'll be fine to move covers off his face.

That does sound like a lot of covers/ extras-have you thought about just doing extra layers?

#3 melaine

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

If he is climbing out I'd take the sides off the cot firstly.

Secondly, I'd try a blanket sleeper - like a sleeping bag but with legs. Though a sleeping bag would be ok if he's got the sides of the bed off.

#4 treetree

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I always put them in sleepsuits at that age. You can get really warm ones up to size 3 or 4. Then you don't have to worry too much about the covers. If they are cold they will wake up, but if they are too warm, they may not, so I always thought less covers were better.
My 1 and 3 yr olds still sleep in my bed and most of the night they have no covers on yet don't seem to feel cold, even on the really cold nights.

Just don't stress about the covers too much! Dress him for the weather and that should do.

#5 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

My 2 year old is still in the cot. In winter she will have a blanket sleeper. All my kids have worn them because they never stayed under blankets. I love the sleepers because they are really warm, feet are enclosed and you can put layers on underneath.
'You can get them from Target.

Off the topic- I am amazed your boy is in 0's. DD is in 3/4 and even some 5's! She looks like she is a 3 year old.   original.gif

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

With a third percentile child I know where you are coming from in terms of size. I was lucky in that ,y tiny child was my first and my second was the 70% big child. The third is 25%.

As PP said it is more to do with ability and awareness of self when asleep then size.

It they are climbing out of cot I would move to bed. We use the Gro First Duvet sets (even still for 7yo). They zip the Doona to the bottom sheet, but allow for movement.

Eta my nephew is tiny too. 17m old and in 3-6m clothes.

Edited by lsolaBella, 03 February 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#7 Majeix

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

dd 2 is tiny as well. She just turned 3 and she is in size 1 and size 0 for pants/skirts as otherwise they jsut fall down. I wouldn't worry about SIDS its so very unlikely at that age and really is not about size anyway. I do agree with the others that climbing out of the cot is a worry. I don't do sleeping bags once there really moving around but I do love "sleepy suits". While I wouldn't be concerned about the blankets so much a few layers and a nice warm thick fitted suit would allow you to cut down on some of the bedding and also means that they wont become uncovered in the night.

#8 Mummzy

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hi,

Thank you for all the replies.  original.gif

Can anyone provide links or tell me where to look for these sleep blanket suits? They sound like what we need.

Thanks again.

#9 Feral_Pooks

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

There is nothing wrong with using blankets and sheets, I have been using them for DS since birth. They are not a SIDS risk. Any child that can climb out of a cot needs the side rail down.

#10 chocbuttons

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

My wriggly DS wore the Snugtime blanket sleepers. I bought them at Myer. He is almost 4, still wriggly and still sleeps in them!

#11 ~ky~

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

I used snugtime also with my DS. As far as I know, the same suit has been handed down through several children in the past 8 years and still looks like it is relatively new!

The snugtime ones are a little more expensive, but they are amazingly warm and comfortable for the children. There is usually enough room to add more layers underneath should you feel you need them.

My two big kids were in a bed at 15 months due to climbing out of their cots and the way my youngest is gong, I would say she will be following suit. I changed my youngest's nappy at 4am yesterday and was pleased to see that afterward, even though she was asleep, she pulled her blanket back up over her.

I wouldn't be worrying about SIDs at this age. Yes, it does sometimes stike older babies/toddlers but it is very, very rare as most will not sleep so deeply that they will suffocate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.