Ebay bidding question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 raven74

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

I am bidding on something - first time as a bidder.  Last night I put a bid of $35.  It was outbid at $36 this morning so I upped by a dollar.  Immediately I was outbid by another dollar.  Five minutes later, I did a dollar bid again (no other bids had beel placed).  Followed this pattern for 10 minutes or so.  Every time I put in a dollar bid, I was immediately outdone.  The intersting thing is, it is only increasing when I bid (the nanosecond I bid blink.gif ) - no further bids at any other time.
Can the seller put on bids to drive up the price or have an automatic bid out on the item until a certain time?  I know that there could be another person sitting on the item but it's still on for another 7 hours - I know if I really wanted it I'd wait until the time was almost up and outbid if I could at the last second, not sit on it so far out and go dollar for dollar.  It seems odd that the bidding is increasing the way it is. The second I up a dollar I get the "You've been outbid!" screen. It just seems odd that this particular item would be so hot. Seems really odd.
Or I am naive to ebay? ph34r.gif

#2 bakesgirls

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Someone else probably has an automatic bid in or just like you, someone else really wants it. If you are sitting there watching the screen and upping your bid, is it really so unusual that someone else may be doing it also?

#3 RachelT

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'm no expert, but say you put a bid of $50 on that item, it won't go straight up to $50, it goes up (by in this case $1 but depends how much the item is worth) until it reaches ur maximum. Not sure if that makes sense?

#4 noi'mnot

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

It looks as though the person who originally outbid you put a maximum bid - Ebay uses the minimum required from this maximum amount for them to win, and automatically increases their bid up to the maximum bid, every time somebody else bids. For example, their maximum bid might be $50 so if you keep on going, they will continue to outbid you until you get to $51 at which point their automatic bidding will end and you'll be the highest bidder.

I hope that makes sense.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Someone may have put in their max bid say at $50. So although item may be listed at $25 currently, you bid of $26 is automatically outbid at $27 by the person who has $50 as their maximum bid.

#6 raven74

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

No it isn't. As I said, I am an ebay newbie and was wondering if the owner of the item can do this to bump up prices.  As an ebay virgin, I didn't even know you could do automatic bids blush.gif  Which answers the question I think!  Cheers girls.
I am surprised though, it's at $50 now - waaaaay overpriced laugh.gif
ETA: I am also extrememly cynical and could get addicted to ebay...

Edited by raven74, 03 February 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#7 noi'mnot

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

So, if you have an absolute maximum that you're willing to pay on the item, put that "maximum bid" in, and Ebay will use the minimum required from that to win the auction for you, unless somebody else puts their maximum bid in at a higher price.

Not everybody uses the automatic bidding system, sometimes people just increase their bids bit by bit, but I find automatic bidding to be the easiest and least fool-proof. The seller will never know what the maximum was that you were willing to pay.

#8 noi'mnot

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (raven74 @ 03/02/2013, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No it isn't. As I said, I am an ebay newbie and was wondering if the owner of the item can do this to bump up prices.  As an ebay virgin, I didn't even know you could do automatic bids blush.gif  Which answers the question I think!
I am surprised though, it's at $50 now - waaaaay overpriced laugh.gif

Rest assured that it's not the seller's doing.

Ebay is nuts like this, though. Sometimes you'll get something for an absolute bargain, sometimes it's cheaper to go buy it at a shop. People get caught up in the excitement of bidding! original.gif This is another reason why the automatic system is good, because you let Ebay do your work and don't get too excited in the moment.

#9 PatG

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

If you are new to ebay I'd suggest just deciding how much you are willing to pay for the item (taking into account postage) and place your maximum bid, log out and don't go back until the auction has ended.  You will either win or not win the item and you won't have paid more than you planned to.  You might even get it for 1/3 of your max bid....

#10 babatjie

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

I use Auction sniper, it bids the maximum I'm willing to pay within the last 5 seconds ad I forget about it.

#11 namie

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (RachelT @ 03/02/2013, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm no expert, but say you put a bid of $50 on that item, it won't go straight up to $50, it goes up (by in this case $1 but depends how much the item is worth) until it reaches ur maximum. Not sure if that makes sense?

This is how I bid. I decide how much I'm willing to spend on the item all up and put that amount in. If I win for less, great! If I lose, well at least I know I didn't overpay like some other silly person original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.