Child model?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Axnxoxnx

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Old member gone anon because I want unbiased opinions.
We were out yesterday when we were approached by the director of a very large and apparently reputable child model agency. He had seen DS1 who is 3.5 and he gave us his card and asked us to think about giving him a call because he thought DS1 had a certain 'look' and might do well. From what I can tell, this agency does not take a huge number of kids so this seems a genuine offer. I do know such an offer is no guarantee of 'work'.
Anyway, I have very very mixed feelings about this. To put it in context, DH and I are both professionals and so money is not a consideration (the kids will get whatever they need for education/sport/music etc without having to 'work for it', if that makes sense (I know some parents put any earrings into an education fund).
So I have real objections to the idea of 'modeling', or my kids being told that the way they look is important. I also have objections to him 'working' at this age.
My only question is whether there is any other benefit or skill to be gained from potentially doing this?
In other words - if anyone on EB can convince me there is any non-financial benefit to this then I'll contact them. Otherwise we'll just put the card in the bin (my first inclination).

#2 Funwith3

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Your son might have fun? He might develop a terrific amount of confidence? He might be very good at it which could open a lot of doors for him down the track? Or he could meet some great little friends....

#3 Axnxoxnx

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (Funwith3 @ 03/02/2013, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your son might have fun? He might develop a terrific amount of confidence? He might be very good at it which could open a lot of doors for him down the track? Or he could meet some great little friends....

This is what I was thinking... DH is worried it would be more 'sit still and smile for the camera' than 'fun'.
He's not lacking in confidence, LOL!

#4 LambChop

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

So I have real objections to the idea of 'modeling', or my kids being told that the way they look is important. I also have objections to him 'working' at this age.
  Agree with all this, for me it out weighs any perceived gain... he's 3.5, not 16....

#5 Cranky Kitten

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

I wouldn't do it. I was approached when DD was a baby, about 10 months old I think - and to be honest the money could've come in handy at that time. But I decided against it as it seemed like a lot of pressure to put such a young child under. Maybe things have changed in the industry since then (this was 10 years ago) but it still gives a strong message that life and their value is all about their looks.

#6 BeYOUtiful

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

My son has done a photo shoot with a modelling agency.
At first he didn't want to participate and wanted me in the shot area with him.  Which we did until he was comfortable and dancing around with big smiles.
By the middle/end of the shoot he was loving it and when we were leaving he was asking for more photos.
So it was a confidence booster for him, which he had fun with.

Each parent was right beside their child, near the photographer.

We won the photo shoot but an agency is interested in his photos.  Not sure where I will take that at this point.

Not sure how often Directors would hand out their card randomly, I would thoroughly check out the business.  If it was in a supermarket they may have been recruiting for more on their books.

Just to add, for us they definitely made the shoot fun and incorporated toys/skateboards etc.  It was all about capturing him having fun, not seated and posed.  We arrived at 10:00am and finished around lunch time.

Edited by ~Jane05~, 03 February 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#7 MrsShine

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

I work in film & TV and sometimes in stills photography/modelling too (as a makeup artist & stylist - not as talent).

I also work with a lot of kids (& their parents!) and have mixed feelings myself.

The are a lot of fabulous parents who keep their modelling/perorming children grounded, in these cases I find its brilliant for the kids to learn to listen to direction, follow instructions etc. their parents are always the ones who are quietly encouraging and say things like "X, are you listening to x" (usually director etc. and in these cases I think it's good for kids. They are constantly meeting new people and having to introduce themselves, behave accordingly, eat new foods for set catering etc. and a lot of them really thrive.

I've seen older kids who are in school tell me that their fee goes into a long term account that they can't access until their are 18 plus but their parents encourage them to take out $50-100 each school holidays and use it for the things they want to do. It makes the kids really have to think hard about whether they want to spend that money and helps them grasp the concept of expenses. So in these cases I think it's really good. Socially aware, helping to behave accordingly in new situations and meet & handle new people and situations which are great life skills.

But then the are the stage parents - and the ones that just drop their kids off and sit in the corner on the iPhone for the day and let the kid run wild whilst the crew try to get them to behave.....don't even get me started on those kids/parents!

#8 Kay1

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Gosh I'd give it a go. If its not fun don't do it again. original.gif

I think he'd get a kick out of seeing his picture in something and he's not old enough to understand its because of his 'looks' IMO.

Disclaimer: I would be so damn proud I would not be able to say no LOL.

#9 amabanana

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Like all things, I really think it depends on the parent.  If you are grounded and doing it for the right reasons and happy to quit if it isn't for you or your child then go for it!  
You could even liken it to playing sports or dancing.  Some parents are in it for themselves and are full on!  Others are doing it because their child enjoys it.  Modelling, sport, it's all the same to me.  Doing it 'wrong' can damage your child.

I'd also be wary of them asking you to fork out hundreds of dollars to be on their books.  If they scouted you let them spend the dough.

(DD5 has did some modelling when she was 4.  She loved it.  It was just a couple of times and she is not with an agency.  If we were asked to do it again I would say yes.  We had fun.  As soon as it wasn't fun or became an issue though it would cease.)

#10 Kay1

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Not sure how often Directors would hand out their card randomly, I would thoroughly check out the business. If it was in a supermarket they may have been recruiting for more on their books.

Yep this too. Having said that my cousin was approached (as a teenager) on a beach in Scotland and ended up with his face (an abs LOL) on billboards and buses in London and enough money to pay for uni. original.gif

#11 Super Cat

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

My nephew was a child model. He's in his 20's now but as a kid did a few TV commercials plus heaps of print media. He really loved it and had a lot of fun.

My friends son is a current TV model/actor. He gets heaps of work and really loves it. He's six and has been modelling since he was a toddler. My friend really likes it. She said the kids are looked after and the day is usually fun for them. She still has control over what he does and doesn't do. She turned down a major role in a mini series he was offered because there was a scene where he'd have to be breastfed (simulated of course) and she was worried about the teasing factor. Ultimately, the parents still get to keep control. If it were me I'd look into it further. You can always decline later on.

#12 Fr0g

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

I've got ideological issues with my own children modelling.  At the risk of sounding like a braggart but saying anyway, my daughter, in particular, is a 'head-turner'.  We're told weekly she "should be modelling" and "daddy better get the shotgun ready" (my biggest stomach turner), but there is no way I would have her model.  I don't think it would be healthy for her to align her self-worth to her looks any more than she does.

So for me, modelling is a no-no.  DH has a different opinion to me, and would not be opposed to modelling.

HOWEVER, that's my ideological issue - I truly couldn't say I'd turn down the chance, if it happened to fall in my lap, to set aside some potential to build a nest egg.  

It's a hard one, actually.

#13 Axnxoxnx

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (~Jane05~ @ 03/02/2013, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure how often Directors would hand out their card randomly, I would thoroughly check out the business.  If it was in a supermarket they may have been recruiting for more on their books.

It was at St Kilda beach - we walked past a sw**ky restaurant on our way to grab some sandwiches and have a picnic on the beach and someone waved at DS as he 'pranced' past, and DS waved back. We sat down maybe 100 metres from the restaurant to have lunch, and this guy came up to us 20 minutes later to say he'd seen (and waved at) DS when we walked past, and so he'd come down to give us his card. He also said that, apart from his 'look', it was as much about DS's personality and how he came across (whatever that means - can you tell in such a short time?)

It is a very large and well known agency. The director is a sole director and is also well known.

Thanks everyone for your replies and positive stories.

I guess the other thing that weighs heavily is the time commitment from us... I work full time and DH does 3-4 days/week - and the days he is free we do all the other things that DS loves - gymnastics, soccer, trips to the museum and zoo... He gets so much from all this other stuff and this is why I'd really want to be convinced of some benefit to him before we all put effort into it.

Thanks again - keep the stories coming!

ETA - really EB autocorrect? You're going to autocorrect the word s-w-a-n-k-y?

Edited by Axnxoxnx, 03 February 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#14 Axnxoxnx

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog @ 03/02/2013, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HOWEVER, that's my ideological issue - I truly couldn't say I'd turn down the chance, if it happened to fall in my lap, to set aside some potential to build a nest egg.

Well, this is it... I never would have submitted him for such a thing myself (sure I think he's cute and has a vibrant personality, but so does every parent). And I've always shook my head at suggestions that 'he should model!' (not that many people have said that). But... to have someone actually walk up and give you their card does make you wonder. We all make decisions for our kids - and it kind of feels like I would be turning down an opportunity because of my own beliefs (even though I know that’s a perfectly good reason to turn something down).

#15 BeYOUtiful

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Have you asked your son if he is interested in giving it a go?

#16 FearsomeFeralFreak

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

I have had a similar experience (daughter not son).
We were also approached by a director and my daughter did  a couple of jobs but it was just too hard time wise. We both work full time so it meant we had to take days off work for her to do it. The short notice for some jobs was also a problem.
My daughter had fun. If I didn't work we would probably do it again.

I had some of the same concerns about the focus on looks but then again talent agents have a wide range of kids on their books. Its not just good looks that get you work, it's personality, having something unusual about their appearance, ability to act, ability to take direction...

#17 Axnxoxnx

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (~Jane05~ @ 03/02/2013, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you asked your son if he is interested in giving it a go?

Yes, but he's 3.5... What does he know? It might be meaningful to ask him after we'd done it once to see if he enjoyed it, but when I say "would you like to go somewhere and play while someone takes photos" he's just like "yeah, that sounds fun", which is pretty much his standard response for anything he doesn't know anything about...

#18 **Xena**

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

When I was in QLD I was approached about my eldest child. I just took it as a compliment and didn't think much further because we were on holiday and he'd never be able to pursue that in Tas.

If it was a serious option though I'd let my kid try it out and if they seemed unhappy just pull out of it.

#19 becstar101

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

My nephew did some modelling as a toddler. He had fun, but my sister found it quite time consuming especially for the money she got in return. He was in a couple of target catalogues, and from memory earnt less than $100 per shoot. Other jobs may be more worthwhile, but it seemed to take most of the day for little reward.

Edited by becstar101, 03 February 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#20 Chookin

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

I was approached after my son appeared in a published photo book, it all sounded great except we had to be at castings at relatively short notice and quite a hike away. Although I was only working 3days a week at the time, i couldn't guarantee castings would fall on my days off so we opted out before it began really. If you have the time then why not?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

'Chopstick Baby' born at 23 weeks

Given the nickname of 'Chopstick Baby' by local media, a baby born weighing 660g has survived a week outside the womb.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.