When my son grows up....

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 twinboys

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

My two 7 year old boys have been talking a lot lately about what they will look like and what they will do when they grow up.  biggrin.gif

One is adamant that he is going to have full sleeve tattoos on both arms and they will be dragons.
He also wants a tribal motif around his left ankle.
He wants both ears pierced with big hoops, a nose ring and his brow pierced.
He also wants to be called Jaiden when he grows up (His actual name is Sam)
He also knows none of this can happen till he is 18 and he has a job so he can pay for it  biggrin.gif

The other boy is adamant that he is never going to have a tattoo or earring and he is keeping his own name.

Both are never ever never ever going to get married.
One wants to stay home for ever and one wants to live in QLD.

Both have expressed an interest in working at Mac Donalds as their proffession, I did suggest maybe they could do something more exciting - but nope Macca's would be a dream come true for them.

One is also going to represent Australia in Soccer, tennis, AFL and athletics, the other one wants to represent Australia as a 'gamer' (Like in X Box or Wii)

So what are your kids going to be when they grow up??

#2 Lyn29

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#3 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

My SS (aged 9) says he will work at McDonalds when he is a teenager. He has a lot of trouble with school work, one main area is reading, until recently he dudn't care at all about school and paid no attention in class. My husband and I would try to explain how important reading is and that he won't be able to get a job if he can't read. He must have though about this because one day, out of the blue, he said " I know a job where I don't have to read, Nitro Circus".

He hasn't mentioned what his current long term job wishes are.

He also talks abou getting tattoos.  He once wanted to change his name to Preston. We also tell him he can't do these things until he is 18.

#4 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

My son wants to be a fireman or a policeman, he is quite happy with his name and does not know what a tattoo is, he is 5.

#5 baddmammajamma

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Last spring, we had a K-Year 12 performance gala at our school, and during one of the change overs, they showed a video of the pre-schoolers announcing what they wanted to be when they grew up.

My son stole the show by saying "I wanna be a rock starrrrrrrrrrrrrrr." (with heavy emphasis on the R...well, he *is* half American). cool.gif

He also wants to be a dad AND live at home with me forever. That last part ain't gonna happen lil' dude!

#6 Jenflea

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

My nearly 3yr old daughter wants to be a blue dinosaur when she grows up.
She's pretty adamant it will be blue. It's so cute I don't have the heart to smash those dreams just yet.

#7 melajoe

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

DD1 has always said she wants to be a doctor, and a ballerina.  

The other day, she said to me "I've changed my mind, when I grow up I don't want to be a doctor, I want to be a princess!" I told her that since she wasn't born a princess, she would have to marry a prince to become one, to which she replied "aww man, but there aren't even any princes around here!  Ok, I guess I will still have to be a doctor."

#8 ~Karla~

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

My almost-7yo son wants to be a doctor (usually a pathologist, but the specialty varies), an astronaut and an inventor. Not one but all 3. He's already got a few good ideas for his inventions, he jus needs to get the money together to make them work.

One of my 5yo twins wants to be a train driver or the Fat Controller. The other wants to be his Granny (my mum). wub.gif

The 2yo will probably be happy with anything, so long as there's food. biggrin.gif

#9 Dionysus

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

My 3 year old wants to be a teacher, just like me.

She also wants to be old enough to drive her own car and leave the window down.   LOL

#10 Morts!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

My DD1 used to say that when she grows up she wants to be a teacher, a Hi-5 girl and a shop keeper, but she'd do them all on different days so she could do them all.

DD2 (who is obsessed with pigs) said that she wanted to be a pig when she grows up.
DH asked her if she thought she'd be a good pig.
She replied "No! I'd be a naughty pig!"

#11 MadreLoca

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

DS1 wants to be a transformer. Or a paleontologist. DS2 has expressed an interest in being a superhero, but that changes frequently.

#12 Indiana Bones

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

DS (7) also wants to be a paleontologist, DD (10) a dolphin trainer, or zoologist. Although she had a bit of a freak out when I told her to do zoology she would probably need to dissect a frog in high school.

#13 lafonda

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

DS 4 wants to be an Olympic swimmer and marry his mummy  wub.gif

#14 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

DD1: Wants to go to the Olympics for race walking. She wants to marry her best friends brother so then her and her best friend will be sisters (or so she said while sleep talking one night lol).

DS1: Wants to be a garbage truck driver

DD2: Wants to move to Sydney and study nursing while training at the AIS for some sport, she can't work out which one yet.

DD3: Wants to work in the cabbage patch factory and make CPK dolls. It doesn't bother her that that is in America.

DS2: Wants to be the captain of a cruise ship, Specifically the Pacific Pearl, but will settle for any of them if he has to.

DS3: Wants to be a Wiggle. He wants to marry Sarah, a girl he met at the play room at the restaurant he had his birthday party at over 6 months ago and has never seen again.

DS4: No idea as he's too young, but just looking at him, I think he'd make a good rugby player lol.

#15 Old Grey Mare

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

DS (now 14) wants to be a diesel mechanic and DD (18) is going to be a racehorse trainer.

#16 TheMuriels

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Dd5 wants to be a genetic scientist who brings back extinct animals, with a focus at the moment on the Thylacine and some of the smaller dinosaurs. Also some of the Galapogas Islands animals!

#17 mombasa

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

DD1 wants to be a Pilot.

DD2 wants to be a Barbie, Preferably the one from Barbie, Princess and the Popstar.

#18 Ianthe

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

My 16yo wants to be a genetic scientist. He is planning on going to uni. He wants to have three kids.
My 12yo wants to be a robotics engineer.
My 10yo wants to join the army.
My 8yo wants to be an artist and a nurse and for her and I to travel to Paris together. She wants to have six kids, 3 boys and 3 girls wink.gif
My 4yo wants to be the baby forever I think laughing2.gif

#19 mad madam mim

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

DS1 has told us he is going to be a gardener when he grows up and that when he turns 18 he is going to marry my besties little girl (she's the same age as him) lol.

DS2 and DD both say they will be Doctors when they are older, I told them to make sure they are surgeons so that they can make me....I mean them  wink.gif lots of money

#20 melaine

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

My 5 year old wants to marry his 'someone special' (has her picked out already). They are going to have a farm and baby animals, but today he decided he wanted to be a king and a knight. Previous career aspirations have included gymnastics teacher (though he's never done a class and he's scared of going on the bars, the beam etc).

#21 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

DD12 wants to be a sports teacher or a vet who only performs necropsys ( she had the opportunity last year to view one on a horses head and has been fascinated with it ever since ).

#22 Fat Amy

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

DD3 changes her name daily. Today she was Belle, yesterday she wanted to be called Aurora and the day before, the once-ler

#23 vitaechel

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

My DS wanted to be a Pirate yesterday ohmy.gif .. or a cowboy.

He is only 3.5 tho. wink.gif

We want him to be happy (and I am really hoping for a Vet! hahah)

#24 Mummytoyou

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Edited by lifehacker, 09 February 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#25 ~*Twilight~Zone*~

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

I remember when my son was 4 he told everyone he was going to be a tattoo artist.

My daughter wants to be a Forensic Anthropologist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.