First appoint with ob at 19 weeks is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Alana Banana

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hi All, I am currently 14 weeks along with my 1st bub after many years and 4 failed attempts of IVF , I had my 12 week scan and everything looked fantastic and have been told low risk for downs ect... However after speaking to a few of my girlfriends they are shocked  that my ob does not want to see me for my forts appointment till my 19 week scan, can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Edited by Alana Banana, 02 February 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#2 tick

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Private OBs normally see you much earlier but in the public system first appointments are often at around 22 weeks, depending on where you are and how busy things are at your local hospital.  Are you going private or public OP?

#3 Spring Chickadee

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

I've always known it to be before 12 weeks. Who looked over your 12week scan results to confirm all is well? This should have been the OBGYN in my opinion as if there was an issue he should have been advising what it means and what course of action to take.

#4 VeritasVinum

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I saw my OB at 8wks which was just getting patient history really.

Then 12wks for my NT scan results.

After that I did not see OB until after the 20wk scan. This was for all three of my PGs.

This was Private.

Edited by lsolaBella, 02 February 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#5 SplashingRainbows

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

My OB does an initial visit around 9-10 weeks, the 12 week scan, 16-17 week appt then the 20 week morphology scan.

I thought that was pretty standard.

#6 libbylu

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

My booking in appointment (with a midwife) was at 17 weeks and Ob appointment at around 19 weeks - this was public.  I was referred by my GP at 5 weeks - it just took that long.

#7 Alana Banana

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Thanks girls, I am going private, that's why I though it is so far in.

#8 Madalem

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hi Alana......it does sound quite late!

I saw my OB at 9w, will see him again (tomorrow) at 11w for a quick scan (I requested this one as I'm nervous with my history!), and then will see him again after my 12w NT scan.

I think I then see him every 4 weeks until about 30-32 weeks, and then it goes to fortnightly, and then weekly.....

Each OB would be slightly different though.....but I'd be ringing to check your schedule!

#9 Natttmumm

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

My Obyn is private. His normal procedure is around 10 weeks as he gives the referral for the 12 week scan.
If you have had miscarriages as in our case he sees you at 7 weeks.
He does monthly visits after that.
The visits are quick and easy at that point so you wouldn't be missing much.
My only question is where do you get the scan referral for 19 week scan. Is it the gp

#10 Alana Banana

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Ladies,

I had early pregnancy tracking up till 7 weeks as I had miscarriage 12 months ago, this was with my FS who is now going to be my OB, he gave me all my referals at my 7 week Scan and said he would be happy to take care of my pregnancy. i then rang up his office and the receptionist who does not know he was me FS said that he will not need to see me untill 19 weeks and booked me an appoitnment straight after my 19 week scan.

I am just so nervous with wait as I have been through such a hard time to get this far and i just want to be assured that all is ok.

Edited by Alana Banana, 04 February 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (Alana Banana @ 04/02/2013, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Ladies,

I had early pregnancy tracking up till 7 weeks as I had miscarriage 12 months ago, this was with my FS who is now going to be my OB, he gave me all my referals at my 7 week Scan and said he would be happy to take care of my pregnancy. i then rang up his office and the receptionist who does not know he was me FS said that he will not need to see me untill 19 weeks and booked me an appoitnment straight after my 19 week scan.

I am just so nervous with wait as I have been through such a hard time to get this far and i just want to be assured that all is ok.

So you have seen the FS/OB and he has your history?  

My OB was going away so I say my GP for the dating scan and she arranged the 12 week scan, I saw the OB after that scan, I then saw him after my 20 week scan (which we had done at 18 weeks) At the 12 weeks scan it was really just to get my history.

Good luck with everything

#12 Alana Banana

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

I just called my Ob's office to check that it is standard practice to have first appointment at 19 weeks and she said because I came over from his Fertility clinic he did not need to see me as the first appointment is more about history and when the give the scan referals and since I am already a patient of his although through  a different practice I  would only need to see him if I felt something was wrong.

Edited by Alana Banana, 04 February 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#13 silver-rain

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

I saw my OB for the first time at 9 weeks, then at 13 weeks after my scan, then at 16 weeks and 20 weeks. I had my hospital admission appointment with my midwife at the 9 week appointment, as if I didn't book into the hospital until 20 weeks I might not have been able to get in.
For the money you pay a private OB, not seeing you until you're half way along seems ordinary. FTR, I was seeing a FS too, but did not have IVF in the end.

#14 premmie

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Mine sends out the various referrals for testing at time of booking, then you don't see him until after nt scan, then again only after 20 week scan. So quite a big gap there. This was private. Then I probably saw him monthly until 8 months and fortnightly till birth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How an inquest into one stillbirth is saving lives

A ground-breaking court case that has focused solely on one stillborn baby has already helped to save the lives of other babies.

Get them into reading early with a Nouk book subscription

There's no bonding activity quite like reading to your baby or toddler, and all the signs point to it being important for social and literacy development as well.

I don't want my husband to go on a buck's trip

My husband's best friend is getting married and has planned a men's bachelor party.

The celeb parents who needed a mediator to stop fighting over baby names

Deciding on a baby name can be a fraught experience for many parents.

May Gibbs' 'Gumnut Babies' turns 100 with a special edition, coins, stamps and more

It's time to celebrate the centenary of May Gibbs' very first book release, Gumnut Babies.

African baby names

We have some absolutely gorgeous selections of African baby names for you to consider for your baby.

The mum who retrained to became a plumber

One company refused to give her an apprenticeship because they believed she would be too much of a distraction to the males. 

Meningococcal meningitis: signs, treatment and prevention

What is meningococcal meningitis, why does it occur in seasons, and why does it strike fear into the hearts of so many?

I was scared of the dentist ... and my son paid the price

It was a moment where I could certainly learn from his behaviour, and not him from mine.

Family of toddler killed by alligator at Disney honours his third birthday

The family told supporters that they wanted to celebrate the boy's "first birthday in heaven".

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

7 tips to help you prepare your home for parenthood

Prep your home to make becoming a new parent as stress-free as possible.

Fatherhood to the beat of Daniel's drum

Daniel Gibney knew fatherhood would change him, but he didn't realise it would lead to a global business venture for his family.

A case of gastro and the mummy mean girls

I don't blame any first-time mother who is terrified of her or her baby catching gastro, but it will find you eventually.

Zooey Deschanel's cake smash fail for daughter Elsie

"I kept seeing on the Internet, 'You gotta make a smash cake for your one-year-old,' so I'm like, 'I'm making this cake just so she can smash it.'"

Five things mums should never do

Although I preach the "each to their own" method of parenting, it's unavoidable to have those moments of panic.

Mum allegedly 'groped' while holding toddler in Sydney pool

A mum has told of her horror after she was allegedly sexually assaulted while at a swimming centre with her two young children.

'It whacked me': Michelle Bridges on sleep deprivation and returning to exercise

Michelle Bridges knows a lot about health and fitness, but when she became a mum she had to learn a few lessons the hard way.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Hawaii beachfront resort holiday for two!

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 4 trips for two to Hawaii, staying at Outrigger resorts in Waikiki.

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

Vintage Toys

The toys of your childhood

Take a trip down memory lane with these vinage and retro toys that you may have had in your childhood or your parent's childhood.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.