Newborn feeding question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 spottydog

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hi everyone,

My bub is 7days old.

I feed him on each side on alternative feeds.

I just wondered if he takes a short feed IE not sufficent length feed on one side, and he naps for a hr or three, do i go back to that breast the next feed?

Then go to the full one next feed?

Any adivce would be great, i have a ABA book here but it doesnt answer that question.

I have the midwife coming on Monday so ill ask her then.

Maybe i should just make sure he has a full feed each side each feed, but sometimes he just needs a top up and i cant keep him awake.

Thanks iin advance.

spottydog.

#2 tamjk

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Personally I'm of the opinion that if he falls asleep let him sleep and feed from the side that feels like the side that he needs to feed from.

I'd have times where I would alternate sides each feed and other times when I would feed from the same side three feeds in a row. When I fed from the side that 'felt' right I never had any issues, but when I fussed about making sure they fed from the 'correct' side I'd get engorgement issues.

#3 LookMumNoHands

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

I'd be persevering in keeping him awake. Newborns can take an hour to feed, sometimes. Make sure he completely drains one breast at least, then give the other breast at the next feed.

I would be hiring or purchasing a breast pump to express the side not offered, to help keep supply up.

I'm no expert though! Someone else may offer better advice.

Congrats on your little guy  biggrin.gif

#4 greenthumbs

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (spottydog @ 02/02/2013, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wondered if he takes a short feed IE not sufficent length feed on one side, and he naps for a hr or three, do i go back to that breast the next feed?

Then go to the full one next feed?

I always did this and had no problems. I also followed the 'which breast feels like it needs to be emptied a bit', so it was trial and error. But mostly in the very early days it was exactly as you are suggesting.

Congratulations! biggrin.gif

#5 spottydog

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Thanks everyone,

I have had issues all week with feeding him, so had a midwife out each day, as i left hospital the same day he was born.

The midwifes have been a great help, but each day i find a new question. I figured since the hospital programme discharged me yesterday EB would be the next best thing in regards to questions of feeding.

I was unsuccessful feeding DD now 3yrs so want to try harder this time, now i know how to look after a baby haha.

Cheers guys. Keep the suggestions and replies coming.

spottydog.

#6 nicknick

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Congrat's Spotty on your DS.

I saw a LC before I had DD as I had similar feeding issues you mention with your 1st and she said similar to PP, they take ages to feed in the first few weeks. She said to me do everything I could with DD to get her to drain the breast - tickling toes, changing nappy 1/2 way through the feed, not too warm etc. If then she still wanted more offer the 2nd breast - which you might find in the coming weeks as he gets stronger. But she was very clear that if you can get them into having a really good feed and the swapping breast for the next feed. I think it's really important as you keep going he drains the breast, mainly due to blocked ducts. I also had a similar experience, just as you think you have it under control something changes - very frustrating. I think if you are still having issues push back on the hospital a little or definitely get a LC out to help, it's really hard going in those early days.

Edited by nicknick, 02 February 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#7 Sammij841

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

I definitely think feeding from one side at each feed results in the baby getting the fattier milk and therefore getting fuller, and being able to go longer between feeds.

Its always a challenge the first couple weeks keeping the baby up long enough to eat. It's always good to try opening up his nappy, or gently stroking his face to try and keep him awake long enough to eat his fill!

Good luck, it gets easier original.gif

#8 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

Bub has almost always had both sides. When he was littler he would usually fall asleep feeding (those were the days), I would usually tickle him behind the neck to get him to keep drinking. For night feeds, changing the nappy between sides helps a lot.

If your bub has only had a short snack on one side then has a 3 hour sleep, I don't think it would matter too much which side you put him on for the next feed, if it is just and hour, probably back on the original one.

#9 spottydog

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Thanks everyone,

Ive just been trying my hardest to keep MR sleepy head up for a good feed, waking, undressing etc to make sure he drains one side each feed.

Today we had a few snacks as we had photos done, so i just used the same side for a couple of hrs, then moved to the other side. I reckon practice will make me better at this original.gif

Thanks for the advice.

spottydog.

#10 Eirinn

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

DD2 was always a quick feeder, right from the get go. Soooo different from DD1 who would do the typical newborn hour long feeds. I tried all the tips to get her to feed for longer and she just wouldn't. Or, she would, then end up doing a power vomit. It was just the way she was. I used to do what you are suggesting, if I felt a breast wasn't drained, I would go back to it next feed. It didn't seem to affect my supply.

Just my anecdote!

#11 spottydog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE (Eirinn @ 03/02/2013, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD2 was always a quick feeder, right from the get go. Soooo different from DD1 who would do the typical newborn hour long feeds. I tried all the tips to get her to feed for longer and she just wouldn't. Or, she would, then end up doing a power vomit. It was just the way she was. I used to do what you are suggesting, if I felt a breast wasn't drained, I would go back to it next feed. It didn't seem to affect my supply.

Just my anecdote!

Excellent, i have a feeling this is what my new bub is doing. He wont feed for longer than 15mins even if i try for 45mins the actual feed/sucking would amount to 15-20mins at a push.

He vomited up lots of milk after a huge feed this morning, so he probably got too much.

He is still VERY sleepy, hasnt been awake for more than 1hr atall lol. He is only 9days old though.

Im very keen to get him weighed today by the MCHN when she visits as he lost weight last week, and was put on topups, then put on weight in 48hrs, so no more topups atm. I just want to know if my BM is enough for him original.gif

Apart from that question, if anyone comes back to read, what can i do for a cracked/grazed nipple? Its only one side, bub just doesnt latch on properly, i take him off and try again and again, any advice would be good, ill ask the MCHN today anyway.

spottydog.

#12 lucky 2

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/attachment-breast
http://www.rebeccaglover.com.au/
Hi spottydog, if you have ongoing attachment issues then a LC is the one to see.
You could give ABA helpline a ring for this too.
At this early stage women often have very full breasts and may need to express off some milk by hand to make the areola soft enough for baby to latch well.
If your nipple doesn't make it up to the back of the mouth then it will get dragged on and squashed up on the hard palate leading to painful feeding and nipple damage.
The links about should help with describing deep attachment to the breast, they are different approaches but I hope they will give you some insight into what is needed to get your nipple safely to the back of your baby's mouth.
All the best.

#13 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (spottydog @ 04/02/2013, 06:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apart from that question, if anyone comes back to read, what can i do for a cracked/grazed nipple? Its only one side, bub just doesnt latch on properly, i take him off and try again and again, any advice would be good, ill ask the MCHN today anyway.

It's funny, isn't it. I only ever have problems on one side (my left).  If you already have a crack/graze, one thing I would suggest is trying to switch up your feeding positions. I find that gives some relief as it seems to stop re-injuring, if that makes sense.  You could try feeding while lying on your side, or an underarm (football) hold.  Other people have suggested expressing while the nipple is damaged, but I found that incredibly painful, far worse than DS feeding.

In terms of getting a good latch, I had a simple explanation from a midwife which I found the most useful.   Put the baby's lower lip on the edge of your areola, point your nipple to their nose, and wait for a big wide mouth.  Then your nipple should sort of slide down their top lip into their mouth, nice and deep.  

http://www.rebeccaglover.com.au/showProduc...tfeeding_1_Copy

Edited by lucky 2, 04 February 2013 - 10:32 AM.
r/o of image and change to original source re copyright

#14 dolfania

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hey dear,

I have had cracked nipples when I started BF my baby. It was very painful and each feed I was crying when my baby starts eating. I have visited Lactation consultant I was advised to put nipple shield when I attached my baby and that will decrease the pain and also stops further damage.  At one stage the nipple was so bad that I could not feed baby from that breast at all and I only express milk from that side to keep up good milk supply from each side.
Few things you need to consider. When you want to use nipple shield be aware that feeding baby takes longer time because baby needs work extra hard to get the milk through this nipple shield. When I was doing that my baby get tired much quicker and she could not empty my breast completely and than her stomach was not full enough and she was awake more often.
Do not breast feed baby with nipple shield longer that few days. The reason is simple. Using nipple shield  baby sucks differently than just from the breast and if you keep that way to long baby might efused later on to eat from your breast if you do not wear nipple shield. For me nipple shield was not very comfortable to use and I haven't use for long time just couple of days that is all. Even I was in pain to attach my baby I have notice that the pain was just in the beginning  and when she stars eat the pain was gone.
I was also told that I need to be more careful to keep my breast clean because cracked nipples can be infected with bacteria which will hurt even more. You need to keep your nipple dry and clean the best way to do it is to get good quality breast pads. I tried few from different brand which are on a market. I would highly recommend "Mamaway breast pads" .

You really need look after your self and your breast. You are the most important person in your family now and your baby depends on you.

I hope I could help.

Edited by lucky 2, 04 February 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#15 CharliMarley

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

There is a hormone in breastmilk which keeps babies sleepy for about 6 weeks and after this time, your baby will be awake more. Meanwhile you need to try and keep him feeding and getting to the high fat at the hindmilk of the breast. Try pushing your hand along the breast towards the nipple to keep the flow going - babies like the flow and get bored when it stops. You could try putting him to the other side for the flow and then back to the first breast again, if he will stay awake to do this.

#16 codygirl

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Hi Spotty

My bean is doing the same thing, snacking all day and night.

My midwife recommended the rite aid hydrogel  breast pads for cracked nipples. They are available at Coles an made such a difference to my nipples, they healed within a couple of days..  

I also had an amazing lc come out and look at our attachment and how we were feeding,  made a world of difference to her snacking.  I'm in Canberra and can recommend her if you pm me.

#17 wallofdodo

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

For the sore nipples I squeeze a bit of milk out and rub it in.

Also I ended up at a LC as my second son would feed really fast, she looked him over and said, yep he's done. He was a fast feeder! Often happens with the second one. I am sure he is getting enough as he is putting on around 300 grams a week.

Good luck!

#18 spottydog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I went to a BF clinic at the local MCH reccomended i visit as DS had not put on much weight, so went and got him weighed, he had put on 50g in 2days, so that worked out to be 80g in 5 days, so better than nothing.

Im feeding him every 3hrs or less during the day on one full side, but he is still only having 10 -20mins and then back to sleep usually. Then 4hrs overnight, occasionally just over 4hrs.

I bought sheilds to help with the soreness and have hardly had to use them, i got the latch right original.gif

I also bought the hydrogel pads today, OMG wish someone had told me that before original.gif

SO its coming together now, just need to get my bub into the whole idea of sleeping at night and not so much during the day.

He has also hit his birthweight again too, at 11days, so i am happy.

Cheers everyone. I was so close to giving up already but i think if we can get into the groove we will give it a good hard go original.gif

spottydog.

#19 lucky 2

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

That is very promising news spottydog, regaining birth weight at 11 days is fantastic.
Strip her down to her nappy and get him skin to skin with you during feeds and try some breast compressions when he gets sleepy to get him drinking as much as possible.
I'm sure he'll be more wakeful eventually and then you'll wonder where your sleepy boy went and if he is ever coming back!
I'm glad you didn't need the shields, it is wise to try and fix a latch problem without any devices but using one if you cant get a deep latch despite all efforts.
Then you have to assess if it helps or not.
They are not appropriate for all attachment difficulties but when they are needed (ie for short or inverted nipples or when baby is premature or has a weak suck) they can be a life-saver.
All the best.

#20 spottydog

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Thanks lucky2, he is starting to get the latch better, only used the sheild once today as he really hurt my nipple again, but we are getting him on without them and feeding in more comfort.

Just want more sleep now.

spottydog.

#21 trishalishous

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (tamjk @ 02/02/2013, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I'm of the opinion that if he falls asleep let him sleep and feed from the side that feels like the side that he needs to feed from.

I'd have times where I would alternate sides each feed and other times when I would feed from the same side three feeds in a row. When I fed from the side that 'felt' right I never had any issues, but when I fussed about making sure they fed from the 'correct' side I'd get engorgement issues.

same here.
as mine got older they took both sides most times

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.