Update #12 - Broken toe/s. OUCH OUCH OUCH

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 wiggles

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

I did something really stupid (my lips are sealed) and I think I might have broken my toe/s. I have been to the after hours surgery and the doctor wasn't sure if I have broken my toe or not. Although she is leaning toward yes than no, but still unsure.

It's my right foot - 3rd and 4th toe (from the big toe). It hurts like hell.

She has strapped the 2 toes together and wants me to have an X-ray on Monday.

I'm laying down, foot elevated with an ice pack on it.

(No support from DH). I had to hobble around woolies and ended up bursting into tears at the checkout.

Is there anything more i can do for these toes?

I'm scared about how long it will take to heal.

Any suggestions?

TIA original.gif

Edited by wiggles, 03 February 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#2 raven74

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'm a frequent flier.
Unless it is displaced (I'd guess not) then taping, painkillers, elevation, ice.  Can take several weeks to heal.
If you can't weight-bear get a set of crutches for a few days.

#3 Baroness Bubbles

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Unzip those lips, we need to know so we can help!

My only advice is to be really careful about bumping it. I broke my little toe last September, and it still turns purple if I bump it at all now

#4 Bksa

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (raven74 @ 02/02/2013, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless it is displaced (I'd guess not) then taping, painkillers, elevation, ice.  Can take several weeks to heal.
If you can't weight-bear get a set of crutches for a few days.

I second this.

I did this a couple of months ago when I accidentally kicked the end of the bed in the middle of the night, getting up to DD.

Fingers crossed it is not broken.

#5 *LucyE*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Agreed with the PPs.  Including how easy they are to damage again.  

Hope they heal quickly.

#6 Chelli

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Oh you poor thing sad.gif I hope it feels better and that your DH gives you some sympathy/support!

#7 Peppery

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Have broken my little toe 3 times. Definitely easy to damage again.

People call me a klutz, I don't agree rolleyes.gif

I would get some crutches.

Edited by Peppery, 02 February 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#8 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Definitely need crutches. I broke my second and third toes a few years ago and it was excruciating painful. I had a crawling baby at the time and it made life heaps more difficult. XP didn't really help either. I was hobbling round and took DS to his physio appointment and she gave me some crutches, said it wouldn't heal unless I took all weight off it.

#9 wiggles

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (CrazySingleMum @ 02/02/2013, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely need crutches. I broke my second and third toes a few years ago and it was excruciating painful. I had a crawling baby at the time and it made life heaps more difficult. XP didn't really help either. I was hobbling round and took DS to his physio appointment and she gave me some crutches, said it wouldn't heal unless I took all weight off it.

I'm hoping I don't need crutches!  I don't work so I can keep off it for most of the day.

My 2 toes are now bruised. The one next to the little toe is worse (the bruising is also on my foot, where the toes end - looking down at the foot).

I can't take anti- inflammatory tablets either.

This is so not what I need right now. Couldn't have happened at the worst time.

For those of you that broke your toe/s, were you able to drive? I don't have that far to drive, only 20 mins a day.  Have to get DS to school. I have no one to help me.

It's my right foot too. My car is an automatic.

TIA original.gif

#10 *LucyE*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I continued life as normal which is why they took about 4 months to heal. So, yes, I continued driving a manual.

When I broke my foot though...man, that was painful. No driving or even child caring for the first week. Then when I rolled my foot and tore something or other around my ankle, the dr wouldn't discharge me unless I assured him I would rest and get help with the kids (DH was going away).

I didnt bother with crutches for any of the above and found hoping faster. Maybe my floors are just really slick but I found the crutches more of a hinderance.

Keep off it as much as possible to give it a chance to heal.

#11 wiggles

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Update

I had an X-ray done today and the radiographer said it looked broken. It's the toe next to the little one.

I went back to the medical centre and saw a Dr and she confirmed it. Said it was aligned and to strap it and  do the RICE treatment. (Rest, nice, compress and elevation).

Easier said than done when I have a DH that won't help me at all.

I tried out some crutches today, but couldn't get the hang of them.

Which ones would you recommend? The old style ones that sit under the arms pits or the ones that you hold with your hands called Canadian Crutches, (they have a part that goes around your arm)?

TIA original.gif

Eta: more info.

Edited by wiggles, 03 February 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#12 Mamabear2010

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Poor thing. It must be painful.

I spent 7 months on crutches in the space of 12 months. I recommend the crutches that go around your arm. Much better than the under arm crutches. As for learning to use them, a Physio can help explain it or there is probably a you tube video?

With stairs, always remember 'good foot goes to heaven, bad foot goes to hell'. (Good foot stays higher than bad foot).

I used arnica to help with bruising/swelling. It might be an alternative if you can't have anti inflammatory tablets.  

As for driving, my dr always said I could only drive if I felt safe to do so. You need to be sure you can stop the car in a hurry.

#13 Tired Feral too

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

The canadian ones are better than the old under arm style according to the physios I know. But remember to take small steps, if you take large ones you may hurt your neck and back also and need treatment for those, not just your foot.

#14 wiggles

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Thank you.

#15 Pull Up A Beanbag

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

I wouldn't be accepting your DH's refusal to help either, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Good luck

#16 Maple Leaf

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

(No support from DH). I had to hobble around woolies and ended up bursting into tears at the checkout.

unsure.gif

This is unbelievable to me. Time to break his toes I think.

#17 **Xena**

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Ah you poor bugger! I broke a couple of my toes too- in the most ridiculous way. I'll admit it if you will!

I tried to jump over a brick fence whilst drunk but forgot to jump and ran straight into it laughing2.gif

Try and keep off it and get some help. Your DH should support you (unless you broke them having group sex with a travelling male stripper troupe). Haven't we all done stupid things?

#18 Escapin

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

No advice on the toes but tell your DH to get off his a*se and start helping STAT!

#19 coffy11

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

ooh that sounds painful!!

What's going on with your dh?

#20 wiggles

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Marriage problems.

#21 kadoodle

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Marriage problems or not, he needs to man up and make himself useful.  Or pay for help for you.

#22 wiggles

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Kadoodle I wish it was that easy. I have a DS who's 12 and he is trying to help me where he can. My DH doesn't give a toss about me. It's so complicated and I'm exhausted. I'll try and update with more info tomorrow. I'm tired from all the crying I've done this weekend.

Thanks ladies.

#23 FeralBee

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

*hugs* Only do as much as you have to, for you and your son. Accept your son's help - he's old enouhh to do quite a bit to help out, and he's clearly a better man than your husband.

#24 unicorn

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

sad.gif I'm sorry to hear about your marriage problems, give the DS of yours a big hug from me.

The crutches with the forearm clamp, the Canadians?, are the best, I used them when I broke my ankle, the are handy because you can hang bags of shopping on them, and they will just clip on you arm so you don't have to hold them if you want to reach up and get something off the too shelf. Way easier to manage things with them than the underarm ones. Hope it heals up quick.

#25 kadoodle

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

I'm sorry.  Get some sleep, or some chocolate.

I sprained my wrist and DH isn't home for another week and a half.  My kids are getting really sick of doing all the chores I usually do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

What you need to know about ovulation tests

Most people who are trying to get pregnant know that the best time to conceive is in the few days after ovulation.

Surviving a miscarriage at sea

A cruise with your family is among the most absurd settings for a miscarriage, but it is certainly not the worst.

Mum of three denied tubal ligation because she's 'too young'

A 22-year-old woman who is pregnant with her third child has had her requests for a tubal ligation denied because doctors believe she is too young.

Slapped cheek syndrome a danger for pregnant women

When a pregnant woman is infected, the likelihood that her foetus will be infected is about 50 per cent.

The signs and symptoms of ovulation

If you're hoping to conceive, one of the most important things you need to know about is ovulation.

We all know 'mum guilt' - but what about 'dad guilt'?

I remember the first time I felt mum guilt, within days of having my first child. The feeling was so intense I rang my own mum to debrief, hoping she'd tell me I wouldn't feel this way very often.

Kristen Bell urges mums to be their own superhero

When it comes to motherhood, actress Kristen Bell is her own superhero and she thinks other mums should be too.

Pram review: GB Pockit travel stroller

In a world of ever-shrinking gadgets, it's no surprise prams are getting smaller. We put the record-holding GB Pockit through its paces.

The beautiful Bombol Bouncer is back

The gorgeous Bombol Bouncer is back - and boasts two chic new colours to boot.

Gadgets and accessories for wine lovers

Looking for a gift for the wine lover in your life - or just something for yourself?

Free ticket offer

Pinky Mckay joins us again at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show presented by Blackmores with her expert baby settling advice. Register now for your free ticket.

The adventure doesn't have to stop: here's how to travel with baby

The best part about our outdoor adventures? It makes my husband and I better parents, since we're happier while adventuring.

Woman crashes car to save mum and baby's life

A good samaritan saved a mother and baby from being seriously injured by crashing her own car into theirs.

Should you tell your boss about your postnatal depression?

Returning to work after having a baby can be daunting, and when you're experiencing postnatal depression or anxiety it can seem even more overwhelming.

TV noise can slow toddler word learning, study finds

Background noise from the radio or TV might be making it harder for your toddler to learn learn new words.

Teresa Palmer on her molar pregnancy and 'unsexy' conception

Teresa Palmer is basking in pregnancy glow as she awaits the arrival of her new baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

Why drinking water can be deadly for babies

H2O is one of the necessities of life, but for babies a seemingly harmless amount of water can be fatal.

5 ways having a baby is different when you have older children

So much parenting advice is geared towards having your first baby, but what's it like having a baby when you already have children?

You can now make your own plush Falkor

Fans of The NeverEnding Story – of which there are certainly plenty – went crazy for these plush Falkors when they first went on sale last year.

Baby steps

10 things that will actually happen after having a baby

I thought I had prepared myself for motherhood. Then my baby girl arrived and knocked everything flat.

Having a baby: expectations vs reality

People love to warn you about what to expect when having a baby, but they can be way off when it comes to the reality.

Are we having fun yet? Thinking positively as a parent

Motherhood is wonderful ... except when it sucks.

The adorable smile of a baby seeing his mum clearly for the first time

There is no doubt seeing their child smile for the first time is an unforgettable moment for parents everywhere.

When breastfeeding doesn't go with the flow

Breast is best, except when it's not. And in our case, it most definitely wasn't.

'If you don't vaccinate your kids you're a bloody idiot'

The photos are heartbreaking and almost too difficult to look at, but Kayley Burke is begging other parents to take notice.

Why pregnant women should eat chocolate

In news that will make expectant mums jump for joy - and reach for a block of Cadbury - scientists have revealed chocolate could provide health benefits during pregnancy.

The baby born with an incredible head of hair

If you're in any way challenged in the follicle department, prepare to feel a jolt of envy - at a two-month-old baby.

The push for Medicare to fund lactation consultants

While meeting with a lactation consultant can make an enormous difference to a new mother, it's not a service that is available through the public health system.

Parents, this is how to cut grapes to avoid choking

One mum has learnt a harrowing lesson about the best way to cut grapes to make it safe for toddlers and little kids to eat.

Three truths about C-section mums

Lately I've been thinking about the caesarean stories and the brave women who birth their children with strength and beauty.

Help! My baby will only sleep in my arms

It's stressful to be the one who is holding your baby most of the day, but it's even more stressful to wonder, 'am I doing something wrong? Or am I creating bad habits?'

Free ticket offer

Essential Baby & Toddler Show - Sydney

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores, will be held in Sydney on 23-25 September. Register for your free ticket now to save $20!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.