Update #12 - Broken toe/s. OUCH OUCH OUCH

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 wiggles

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

I did something really stupid (my lips are sealed) and I think I might have broken my toe/s. I have been to the after hours surgery and the doctor wasn't sure if I have broken my toe or not. Although she is leaning toward yes than no, but still unsure.

It's my right foot - 3rd and 4th toe (from the big toe). It hurts like hell.

She has strapped the 2 toes together and wants me to have an X-ray on Monday.

I'm laying down, foot elevated with an ice pack on it.

(No support from DH). I had to hobble around woolies and ended up bursting into tears at the checkout.

Is there anything more i can do for these toes?

I'm scared about how long it will take to heal.

Any suggestions?

TIA original.gif

Edited by wiggles, 03 February 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#2 raven74

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'm a frequent flier.
Unless it is displaced (I'd guess not) then taping, painkillers, elevation, ice.  Can take several weeks to heal.
If you can't weight-bear get a set of crutches for a few days.

#3 Kenzi_Bubble

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Unzip those lips, we need to know so we can help!

My only advice is to be really careful about bumping it. I broke my little toe last September, and it still turns purple if I bump it at all now

#4 Bksa

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (raven74 @ 02/02/2013, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless it is displaced (I'd guess not) then taping, painkillers, elevation, ice.  Can take several weeks to heal.
If you can't weight-bear get a set of crutches for a few days.

I second this.

I did this a couple of months ago when I accidentally kicked the end of the bed in the middle of the night, getting up to DD.

Fingers crossed it is not broken.

#5 *LucyE*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Agreed with the PPs.  Including how easy they are to damage again.  

Hope they heal quickly.

#6 Chelli

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Oh you poor thing sad.gif I hope it feels better and that your DH gives you some sympathy/support!

#7 Peppery

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Have broken my little toe 3 times. Definitely easy to damage again.

People call me a klutz, I don't agree rolleyes.gif

I would get some crutches.

Edited by Peppery, 02 February 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#8 CrazySingleMum

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Definitely need crutches. I broke my second and third toes a few years ago and it was excruciating painful. I had a crawling baby at the time and it made life heaps more difficult. XP didn't really help either. I was hobbling round and took DS to his physio appointment and she gave me some crutches, said it wouldn't heal unless I took all weight off it.

#9 wiggles

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (CrazySingleMum @ 02/02/2013, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely need crutches. I broke my second and third toes a few years ago and it was excruciating painful. I had a crawling baby at the time and it made life heaps more difficult. XP didn't really help either. I was hobbling round and took DS to his physio appointment and she gave me some crutches, said it wouldn't heal unless I took all weight off it.

I'm hoping I don't need crutches!  I don't work so I can keep off it for most of the day.

My 2 toes are now bruised. The one next to the little toe is worse (the bruising is also on my foot, where the toes end - looking down at the foot).

I can't take anti- inflammatory tablets either.

This is so not what I need right now. Couldn't have happened at the worst time.

For those of you that broke your toe/s, were you able to drive? I don't have that far to drive, only 20 mins a day.  Have to get DS to school. I have no one to help me.

It's my right foot too. My car is an automatic.

TIA original.gif

#10 *LucyE*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I continued life as normal which is why they took about 4 months to heal. So, yes, I continued driving a manual.

When I broke my foot though...man, that was painful. No driving or even child caring for the first week. Then when I rolled my foot and tore something or other around my ankle, the dr wouldn't discharge me unless I assured him I would rest and get help with the kids (DH was going away).

I didnt bother with crutches for any of the above and found hoping faster. Maybe my floors are just really slick but I found the crutches more of a hinderance.

Keep off it as much as possible to give it a chance to heal.

#11 wiggles

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Update

I had an X-ray done today and the radiographer said it looked broken. It's the toe next to the little one.

I went back to the medical centre and saw a Dr and she confirmed it. Said it was aligned and to strap it and  do the RICE treatment. (Rest, nice, compress and elevation).

Easier said than done when I have a DH that won't help me at all.

I tried out some crutches today, but couldn't get the hang of them.

Which ones would you recommend? The old style ones that sit under the arms pits or the ones that you hold with your hands called Canadian Crutches, (they have a part that goes around your arm)?

TIA original.gif

Eta: more info.

Edited by wiggles, 03 February 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#12 Mamabear2010

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Poor thing. It must be painful.

I spent 7 months on crutches in the space of 12 months. I recommend the crutches that go around your arm. Much better than the under arm crutches. As for learning to use them, a Physio can help explain it or there is probably a you tube video?

With stairs, always remember 'good foot goes to heaven, bad foot goes to hell'. (Good foot stays higher than bad foot).

I used arnica to help with bruising/swelling. It might be an alternative if you can't have anti inflammatory tablets.  

As for driving, my dr always said I could only drive if I felt safe to do so. You need to be sure you can stop the car in a hurry.

#13 tiredtoo

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

The canadian ones are better than the old under arm style according to the physios I know. But remember to take small steps, if you take large ones you may hurt your neck and back also and need treatment for those, not just your foot.

#14 wiggles

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Thank you.

#15 Frazzled Cat

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

I wouldn't be accepting your DH's refusal to help either, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Good luck

#16 Alpha_Chook

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

If you can put weight on that foot then you can use the forearm crutches, if not then you need the underarm ones. The forearm ones are less stable therefore you need to be able to weight bear a little. I fractured 3 bones in my ankle 3 weeks ago and saw three different physios all who said that the forearm crutches wouldn't be suitable as I'm not allowed to put weight on that leg for 6 weeks after the injury. Hopefully after the 6 weeks I will be able to walk, albeit short distances

#17 Maple Leaf

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

(No support from DH). I had to hobble around woolies and ended up bursting into tears at the checkout.

unsure.gif

This is unbelievable to me. Time to break his toes I think.

#18 **Xena**

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Ah you poor bugger! I broke a couple of my toes too- in the most ridiculous way. I'll admit it if you will!

I tried to jump over a brick fence whilst drunk but forgot to jump and ran straight into it laughing2.gif

Try and keep off it and get some help. Your DH should support you (unless you broke them having group sex with a travelling male stripper troupe). Haven't we all done stupid things?

#19 Escapin

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

No advice on the toes but tell your DH to get off his a*se and start helping STAT!

#20 coffy11

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

ooh that sounds painful!!

What's going on with your dh?

#21 wiggles

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Marriage problems.

#22 kadoodle

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Marriage problems or not, he needs to man up and make himself useful.  Or pay for help for you.

#23 wiggles

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Kadoodle I wish it was that easy. I have a DS who's 12 and he is trying to help me where he can. My DH doesn't give a toss about me. It's so complicated and I'm exhausted. I'll try and update with more info tomorrow. I'm tired from all the crying I've done this weekend.

Thanks ladies.

#24 SqueakyBee

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

*hugs* Only do as much as you have to, for you and your son. Accept your son's help - he's old enouhh to do quite a bit to help out, and he's clearly a better man than your husband.

#25 unicorn

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

sad.gif I'm sorry to hear about your marriage problems, give the DS of yours a big hug from me.

The crutches with the forearm clamp, the Canadians?, are the best, I used them when I broke my ankle, the are handy because you can hang bags of shopping on them, and they will just clip on you arm so you don't have to hold them if you want to reach up and get something off the too shelf. Way easier to manage things with them than the underarm ones. Hope it heals up quick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.