Place of birth on birth certificate Vic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#1 MariaW

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Hi Ladies, does anyone know, place of birth on birth certificate is where your hospital (suburb) is or where you live??? Sorry for silly question, im not from here. It is an important consideration for me in choosing a hospital...For example, if i had my baby in Peninsula private would birth certificate say place of birth "Frankston Vic"??? I live in SE Melbourne. Thanks

#2 lep_78

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

suburb of hospital that they were born in

#3 namie

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Suburb of hospital.

My boys were born at Cabrini, so their birth certs state Malvern.

#4 kiwi-girl

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

As ppl have said, but I'm just curious why this is an important consideration for you when choosing the hospital?

#5 happening

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Too posh for Frankston eh?

#6 **Anna**

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (kiwi-girl @ 02/02/2013, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As ppl have said, but I'm just curious why this is an important consideration for you when choosing the hospital?

Me too?

#7 Bel Rowley

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Suburb of hospital. And big LOL at it being a consideration, why does it matter if your kid was born in Frankston? I don't think future employers are going to look at his/her birth certificate and automatically discount him/her for being born in a bogan suburb.

#8 liveworkplay

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Lol. Hospital suburb. Interestingly, my girls were born in different hospitals 5 minutes walk from each other on different sides of a major road in Melbourne. According to their birth certificates, they were born in different suburbs. On dd3's it just says the city, not the suburb.(different state)

#9 MrsLexiK

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (MariaW @ 02/02/2013, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ladies, does anyone know, place of birth on birth certificate is where your hospital (suburb) is or where you live??? Sorry for silly question, im not from here. It is an important consideration for me in choosing a hospital...For example, if i had my baby in Peninsula private would birth certificate say place of birth "Frankston Vic"??? I live in SE Melbourne. Thanks

You are kidding right, god I hope you are kidding. You would seriously choose the hospital based on the fecking suburb???!!!??? Oh and IMO if you are contemplating Peninsula Private as your private hospital I am assuming it is the closest to you I wouldn't stick my nose too high up in the air if I was you OP you have a long way to go until you reach the class you are after.
Oh and the private hospitals around here are small and low risk what the hell are you going to do if you have to go to Frankston Public?  Best you book into an inner city hospital if I were and move so you can get a good inner suburb in case you need to go public.

#10 Madnesscraves

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I'll freely admit I did pick my hospital so DD's birth location looked better...  ph34r.gif

ETA for more detail. First off I wouldn't use my local private as I heard enough horror stories, the next one on was full of relatives and I didn't need my rello nurses dropping in during labour, so I went with the 3rd option .

Edited by Madnesscraves, 02 February 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#11 MariaW

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for your replies ladies, hospital suburb then. Didn't mean to offend anyone, I just want what's best for the child, I work hard and want the baby to have a better life what's so wrong with that? I wouldn't judge anyone by where they were born but i know how cruel this world is...If I pay for private, I get to decide on where it is, yes I'm into details xo

#12 Expelliarmus

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Wow. In 39 years no one has ever checked the suburb on my birth certificate.

#13 IsolaBella

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Birth certificate also lists where parents were living.

#14 shutterspeed

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (MariaW @ 03/02/2013, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your replies ladies, hospital suburb then. Didn't mean to offend anyone, I just want what's best for the child, I work hard and want the baby to have a better life what's so wrong with that? I wouldn't judge anyone by where they were born but i know how cruel this world is...If I pay for private, I get to decide on where it is, yes I'm into details xo

Wow. I don't think the suburb of birth is going to have a lick of difference to your kid having a better life. By the time your kid is an adult, Frankston might be quite well to do. Not that it will matter at all. Mum was born in Fitzroy. It was a working class borderline slum in 1950. Now it is one of the most sought after suburbs in the state. You need to reassess what makes a 'better life'. Here's a hint: it isn't where you were born.

#15 CountryFeral

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

OP your concern, while touching, is really, really, really barking up the wrong tree.

QUOTE (thestylemanual @ 03/02/2013, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to reassess what makes a 'better life'. Here's a hint: it isn't where you were born.

I was born in a country hospital in a town that used to make international lists as the 'ugliest'... for people who know where it is, and what it is they will actually laugh out loud when I tell them my birthplace - it's that bad.

I have made a lovely life for myself, post graduate education, travel, wonderful friends, wonderful life.

In spite of being born in such an 'ugly' place I have also managed to make a career out of aesthetic concerns - both teaching art and being a practicing (mildly successful) artist - so it didn't obviously sink into my brain and despoil it!

I'm confident it would not have been any different if I had been born in the hospital my elder sister was (different 'nice' city - Mum had pre eclampsia and was sent away to have the baby in a bigger, better equipped hospital)

Your place of birth is a curiosity on your passport - nothing else.

#16 jayskette

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

While you are at it make sure you put a silver spoon in the baby's mouth as soon as it's born... lol

#17 eachschoolholidays

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

wacko.gif

C.U.B.  springs to mind

#18 sa5ha

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I hope this post isn't seriously but...

My place of birth on my birth certificate is a "posh" Sydney suburb and I can promise you it's made no difference in my life  and no one has ever commented on it!

#19 kiwi-girl

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

PP have already said it. The location of the birth is not giing to impact on the future wellbeing or social standing if your chilld in any way. If they happened to meet someone who was as superficial as to base their opinion of someone based on this, then I wiuld hope you will have equipped your child with the skilks to deal with this and to challenge such pathetic points of vuew.

Choose the hospital based on what they offer and what your pregnancy requires. Location won't matter when you are in mid-labor and I am sure your future child will not need counselling to get over the suburb that they were born in.

OP, since we don't get it, why or how exactly do you think this matters?

Edited by kiwi-girl, 03 February 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#20 Chazonator

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

crap i'd better go wipe frankston off kids birth certs quick smart otherwise they might be shunned at school and in life! and yes we went public maybe that makes it even worse arghhh!! lol

#21 Bunsen the feral

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (MariaW @ 03/02/2013, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't the level of medical care be a more important consideration if you want what's best for the child?

I look forward to following your posts in the Baby Names section, should be fun.

#22 namie

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

No one has ever asked me where I was born. It hasn't affected any decisions, major or minor, in my life, or influenced people negatively or positively.

My children were born in Malvern because that was the closest private hospital to me at the time. I wasn't living in Malvern (approx 30 minutes away actually) but private hospitals are few and far between out my way.

I really don't think it's of any import to anyone. I've never even had a passport official look at my place of birth and comment at all. It's just not important. At all.

Edited to fix silly mistakes.

Edited by namie, 03 February 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#23 melaine

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Given that I didn't know the answer to that question then it obviously didn't matter to me!

That is the most bizarre reason I've heard for ruling out a hospital!

#24 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Wow - just wow!!

#25 ubermum

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Oh LOL. This has got to be one of the funniest threads I have read ever.  Passing off snobbery at doing what is right for the baby laugh.gif I'll have to link this up on facebook with a warning to empty your bladder before reading.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.