Building a house

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Is it really that much of a big deal, or do you just tell them what you want, pick out the colours and hand them a cheque.

My plan is to go with a house and land package since all of the land in decent areas has been bought up by local builders. I'm after a 4bdr 3 living area house with a bathroom and ensuite, so nothing out of the ordinary. I plan to have it finished to the point where all I have to do it move in.

WDYT? Have you done it? What are the pitfalls to watch out for aside from making sure you've got a decent builder.

#2 Peppery

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Currently building, well the slap gets laid 17 feb. I have found the process very straight forward. The land was already owned so I am guessing that it is different for house and land packages but I have to organise carpeting, concreting driveways. When they handover the keys I won't be able to move in straightaway.

Haven't found it that big of a deal so far, I may feel differently in a few weeks though wink.gif

#3 *LucyE*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

I have discovered that I don't speak 'builder'.  It's a whole language unto itself and I do not understand the nuances.

We have been renovating and undertaking some extensive landscaping work.  Both times we have required the assistance of designers or architect to be the translators.  

I assume a home and land package deal with the standard home designs are much simpler because there are fewer variables.

The only reason why I am even contemplating subjecting myself to them again, is to finally have my dream home.  Having learned from our own experiences, and those of family and friends, the biggest lesson is to be prepared.  Plan everything before work commences because any changes afterwards will be expensive.  Have every last, tiny detail on paper with each party signing.

We have friends who have bought, renovated and sold several properties over the last 20 yrs.  They finally have settled on their dream home which was a reno of an original queenslander.  They project managed themselves and had a 90 page booklet in 10 point font of the specifications they wanted on top of the usual builder contracts.  Even with such meticulous detail, the builder still tried to alter or substitute products.  They also included time frames and penalties which we should have done with our house reno.  Our builder started to take on other smaller jobs to help with his cash flow which meant that we would have no one turn up for a week or two which really slowed down our progress.

#4 ComradeBob

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

We did a knock down rebuild with a hosing company and were very happy with it, although I think I must have looked at a couple of thousand lots of plans on line before finally finding a layout I was happy with. We went with Rawson in the end and they did a very professional job, and were happy to amend the plans to suit our specifications (some companies aren't so happy to do this). The only things they didn't do were the landscaping and the carpet upstairs, but everything else was finished. It took about 8 months all up and that included some wet weeks where nothing was happening and to my mind , it was far easier than getting an architect and doing it all yourself.

I will say though that the prices you see on building companies websites are generally the base level and you can adding another third to half on again before y get your final product.

#5 unicorn

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

I think most of the time it can be straight forward but I would prefer to keep a relatively close eye on things, friends of ours got burnt by when they bought a house and land package.
The H&L people outsource the labour, but the site manager wasn't keeping an eye on things and there were shortcuts taken all through the place, cheap fittings, things not going where they were supposed to according to the plans, bodgy workmanship, walls not square, gutters not leaning the right way causing leaks into the house, it has cost said friends a small fortune to rectify the problems and They are in the process of court action over it all.

Edited by Flibbertigibberty, 02 February 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#6 Pongo

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

We are 7 months into our custom designed and boutique built house with another 2/3 months to go.

And so far it has been fairly simple, sure sometimes things don't go to plan or an issue crops up that needs to be dealt with but our builder has been great.

As we are using a boutique builder we can change things whenever we like and we can make decisions about colours and  finishings right before they are needed.  They have also arranged whatever we've wanted so for example if we decide tomorrow we want the builder to do the landscaping they will bring in quotes for the work and we then approve it.

However our contract with the builder is a cost+ arrangement whereas most builders are fixed price.

#7 Le-a

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (WingBob @ 02/02/2013, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will say though that the prices you see on building companies websites are generally the base level and you can adding another third to half on again before y get your final product.

This is interesting. I am also looking into building, and am quite "green" to the whole thing. So, what makes the final cost come in at so much higher? Things like site works, or upgrading appliances/bench tops etc? Or is it just other general stuff?

Good question OP, I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

#8 Fabulous

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Site costs can be expensive. Ours were 40K and the builder had only allowed 6K in our preliminary works contract. We had to put in a couple of small retaining walls to make our block flat.  Another big one is the cost of storm water drains. Our builder wanted an extra 3k to do them. Sometimes fences will need to be removed and replaced.

The base price of your home usually includes the bare minimum so you often have to budget extra for stuff like TV points, internet points, extra power points, doors on your home theatre, study ensuite etc, overhead cupboards When we built our range hood and bathroom exhaust were going to be vented straight into the roof space so we had to pay an extra $1000 to get them all flued to the outside.

Edited by Fabulous, 03 February 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#9 ComradeBob

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Companies pries won't include floor coverings, for example, or site works. If you want different rooms painted different colours, that will cost more. It turned out we needed screw piers, which added $20,000. Gutter guards, we needed a retaining wall, landscaping, it's all extra. Not to mention that in certain Sydney LGAs many companies add a premium because its more challenging terrain. The base package will include only certain external finishes, so you will pay extra if you want a different brick,roof tiles, front door etc. You can also upgrade the basic package to one where you design your kitchen layout and you get nicer finishes. We paid more to get a caeserstone bench top in the kitchen, rather than laminate. Driveways aren't included in the base price, so that's another $7,000+.

#10 belindarama

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

You need to check very carefully what level of finnish is specified in the base price. A lot of the package homes we looked at very very basic in their inclusions. For example, if you want taps that don't look like they came from 1969 (those plastic ones with indentations for your fingers) that is extra. There were lot of things like that.

Also the workmanship is not always great. We were chatting with a stand alone builder and I mentioned the quality of the workmanship in the display homes, wonky tiles for example, and he told me they do it on purpose as they only agree to build your home to that standard. So when you complain your tiled are wonky they send you back to the display home and say that is what we agreed to provide. I agree that bringing it up to decent standard adds a third, that is what we found when we costed out what we wanted versus what the packages allowed for.

We ended up going with the stand alone guy and his work was excellent. 7 months in (living in the house) and no major problems. Minor defects here and there that don't become apparent until you move in but nothing huge. All the little things have been fixed to our satisfaction very easily.

A couple of times he was unhappy with work and made tradies do it again, sometimes I couldn't really see what the issue was but he wasn't happy.

Site costs can be an unknown. We needed extra piers so that added $10,000.

Also other things can add on more than you expect. We needed to redo the footpath out the front and move our driveway as council wasn't happy with where the original driveway was and wanted it moved. We also needed to concrete the driveway on our property to the garage and do some areas around the exterior of the house. A path around the perimeter and area for the bins etc. that cost $22,000.

Make sure you have a decent contingency because you will need it.

#11 WastingTime

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

The base price will be nowhere near the final price for reasons outlined above. When you are researching plans and pricing be sure to ask for a list of inclusions. Some companies like Allworth may give you a list of inclusions with pricings included. Get a spreadsheet and make a list of what you get with each package and itemize it for 'extra' things which can include basic stuff like insulation! We've built twice. The second time we had more cash to play with and knew what we wanted and were lucky to find a builder who custom designed our home and had a very generous inclusions package with things like caesarstone and nice fittings as standard. Unfortunately for them it obviously didn't make good financial sense as they have since gone under which is a shame as our place is fantastic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

Win one of two ABC Shop prize packs in time for Christmas

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.