Letter to MIL

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 sne

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

My husband and I haven't had contact with his mother in a year in a half because she was very nasty about us getting married with 6 days notice so none of our parents were there.  We moved to Australia in January 2012 (she lives here) and haven't seen her.  She has never met our daughter and met our son once.  We talked about giving her another chance and both decided we're open to it.  But we feel we need to set some stipulations in place before hand so have decided to write her a letter.  What does everyone think??

Mum

DW and I have been talking.  We have decided we want to try again in our relationship with you.  You are the only living grandmother our children have and we feel sad that they don’t know you.  We still feel hurt and upset with the way you reacted to our marriage, but are willing to put that behind us for the sake of our children.  

There will have to be stipulations regarding our contact.  Its up to you whether you choose to accept them and have contact with us and our children.  Or not and things stay as they are.

·         No drama, bullsh*t, crying etc.

·         Leave the past in the past

·         Mutual respect

·         No name calling or commenting on other family members

·         We don’t want to see DH's sister

·         It stays off facebook

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

If I received a letter like that I'd tell you to **** off.

I can't imagine why she would have been upset about you getting married with 6 days notice and being unable to be there...

#3 Feral Nicety

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Wow.  Yeah I'd be telling you to eff off as well.

#4 Nora.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

That would p*ss me off if I was your MIL. I would be hurt if my children got married without me being there too. I think we forget that they love us and want to be included in the important events.

Dear Mum,

we have decided to leave things in the past and would like to invite you to meet your grandchildren and have a relationship with you.

Look forward to hearing from you

xo

I think this is a much better way to reach out. Don't treat her like a child, even if she has behaved like one in the past. It's patronising.

#5 sne

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

We don't have her phone numbers.  She has debt collectors after her (we've had them calling us looking for her).  To be honest she acts like a child and we feel she will continue to do so if we don't put our foot down at the beginning.

#6 niggles

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I think he should call, or send a much shorter letter. Tellling her there will be rules without saying what they are is not going to invite a fresh start that lets go of past hurts.

Personally I think if you want to give her a chance you have to be prepared to trust that she will behave decently. Hard to say without knowing what your stipulations are but it suggests you don't expect her to know how to behave.

Instead of rules or stipulations (which are pointless for an adult, it's not like you can enforce them) how about communicating your wants and expectations? Then she can decide if that sounds like something she can give.

#7 CountryFeral

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

That is a pretty harsh letter.

I'm sure she is a right royal pain in the backside but those things don't need to be laid out on paper in the first communication in 18+ months.

I think PP is right in suggesting your husband just calls her.

Get the lay of the land first, I really don't think that letter isn't going to build any bridges, only set fire to the ones that are already broken!

#8 emnut

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

That letter is the height of rudeness & disrespect.  It sounds to me like you are both being childish and unreasonable in response to her probably inappropriate response to being hurt at not getting to attend her son's wedding.  Then to add the part about not having contact with the sister (that is likely to be construed as making a parent choose between children) - no words really

#9 Shooz

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

From your post OP I think it's obvious there has been more going on than just her reaction to your surprise wedding which I think most parents would feel hurt at being excluded from. You make no concession to her feelings in your letter and you may not feel she deserves this but I think if you want to try to build a relationship again then sending a letter which basically states all her wrongdoing whilst not suggesting that anything you did may have contributed will likely just get her back up. Why not offer a genuine olive branch let bygones be bygones and try to move forward without apportioning blame.

#10 EsmeLennox

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Even if she does act like a child it is unlikely that treating her like one will achieve your desired result.

#11 happening

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Wow  -  are you trying to set your MIL up?

It's a rude, arrogant and incredibly entitled manoeuvre on your part.

#12 Procrastinator5000

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I know a couple who wrote a letter very much like this to her mother.

She was really offended but in the end, after much water under the bridge, they all have an excellent relationship.

The problem is, she couldn't see things from their side, even after the letter. She thought they were being selfish and excluding her. They couldn't see things from her side. They thought she was being immature and dramatic.

Her feelings and pain were very real though. I think a PP is right that you need to acknowledge and respect that.

It's hard when none of us really understand the extent of her personality and drama though, you're the ones that have to live with it!

#13 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 02/02/2013, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I received a letter like that I'd tell you to **** off.

I can't imagine why she would have been upset about you getting married with 6 days notice and being unable to be there...

Absolutely this.

As for not attending your wedding with 6 days notice. I presume you were still living overseas by the wording of your post. Maybe she couldn't afford the airfare, hotel, new outfit, arrange time off work etc at the drop of a hat.

If you don't have a number for her then for goodness sake reword your letter to something along the lines of what pp has written.

#14 I'm Batman

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

I think its a bit rough the way you have treated her allround.

Its very hard to build back up trust. Nothing you've written in that letter would suggest that you want have a working relationship or have forgiven her.

If you want to move, want to have boundaries try talking her like a normal person and move from there. If she does something that is not right remove yourself from the situation.

#15 LifesGood

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

No way would I write a letter like that. You can't have a conditional relationship with her - you either accept her into your lives as she is or leave her out of it. From the sound of her I know which I would choose, but she is your family member so it is up to you and DH how badly you want her in your children's lives.

#16 Roobear

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Don't send it.

When we gave my MIL another chance. We sent around a bunch of flowers with a note saying "Let's put everything behind us and start again. Here's to a new beginning!" It went down well, we thought it would be the start of a better relationship but it only lasted 2 weeks before she started to meddle again, manipulate, be attention seeking and dramatic blah blah blah

Whatever. She is never going to change, at least I know I have tried and then tried again with her. We do still see her but only at 'big' events like we had them over on xmas eve and they came around to see DD for her birthday.

#17 *lightning

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Dear MIL

We would like to invite you to meet your grandchildren. We would like to start fresh and forget about what has happened in the past.

Give us a call and we can arrange a time to catch up.

From ......

If she calls you can talk to her about setting boundaries and how great it would be for her have a relationship with her grandchildren.

#18 Tree Sage

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

I think this is an incredibly rude and selfish letter.
it doesnt matter what you did, or what she did, or any real or imagined slights from either side.
bottom line, your children deserve the right to have a relationship with their grandmother and for the adults in their lives to act like adults and put differences aside for the sake of the children.

So you MIL in immature. so what?
You know what she is. Accept it and move on.
people are not perfect and everyone has their faults. So long as there is no detreiment to your husband and yourself's relationship or the relationship with your children then really what is the problem with putting up with a pain in the bum MIL with a personality you dont like for the sake of your kids?

I will never understand how people can stop children knowing their family because of personality clashes. the only stipulations you need to make are that you all be respectful of each other and be happy and nice for the children's benefit.

#19 riva99

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Putting things like this in writing can be a really bad idea. If you must open the lines of communication this way keep it very, very brief. Any rules or stipulations can come after contact is renewed, not by a list of demands but by your actions.

Only you know your history. If she is an immature, irresponsible, drama queen do you really think she will change. Are you just setting yourselves, your kids and you MIL up for heart brake? You can't force her to be someone she isn't. You have to decide what kind of relationship to accept. Full contact, limited contact? Having a terrible parent/grandparent isn't always better than none at all.

Sometimes, it's better to let sleeping dogs lie.

p.s. My husband and I eloped. His parents were sad but relieved we weren't "living in sin" anymore. My parents were delighted for me. I am their only daughter. So even if people are upset or disappointed by you choices doesn't give them the right to behave badly.

#20 Peppery

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Since you are the one initiating contact I think it is rude to set conditions. If I received that letter it would go straight in the bin.

If you are genuine about rebuilding a relationship leave out the conditions.

From a basic outsiders perspective, sounds like you are all better off not in each others lives.

#21 Yomumma

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (happening @ 02/02/2013, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a rude, arrogant and incredibly entitled manoeuvre on your part.

Have to agree with this. There is quite a patronising, entitled tone to your letter. You won't get a healthy relationship with her starting like that!

#22 TheWanderer

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

edited... maybe a little harsh given the extra detail but still don't think it will result in a constructive outcome

Edited by TheWanderer, 02 February 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#23 sne

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hmm I see everyone's points regarding the wording of the letter.  I wasn't happy with what hubby and I came up with so thats why i came here for advice.

There is much more to this story than I previously stated.  A lot of water under the bridge so to speak.  Much of it many years ago when my husband was a child.  We both feel if we don't state our expectations at the beginning it will start again where it left off.  Which is obviously not what we want.

Regarding the sister.  When hubby and sister were both teenagers MIL took the sister to the police to make a complaint that DH had hit sister.  Hubby was at a friends house when the alleged assault took place so it was all made up.  So hubby doesn't want anything to do with sister for obvious reasons.  Everyone else in the family respects that but MIL doesn't.

Regarding our marriage.  We decided to get married at a registray office.  It was something we'd be talking about for years and something happened shortly after our daughter was born that made it more important.  So we just did it.  All our parents live in Oz whilst we were living in NZ.  It would be impossible to make everyone happy with a wedding (which we couldn't afford anyway) so we decided to do it this way.  My Dad and hubby's Dad were obviously sad that they weren't there.  But they spoke about how they were feeling to us as opposed to posting lots of swear words and threats on our lives and that of our children on facebook.

#24 Dresden

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

How old was the sister at time of alleged assault? It's a bit unfair to continue to punish the sister if she was a child herself at the time and compelled to lodge a complaint by her mother.

#25 sne

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

She was about 14, I guess.  She is 21 now.  Shes the same as her mother with regards to slagging people off on facebook.  Hubby is very adamant that she does not ever get to see his children.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.