Religious Ed at school

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 3inthebed

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

DS just started school and we just got a note home asking us if we wanted him to participate in RE class. It is not compulsory. This is a non-religious state primary school and we are a non religious family.
I dont have any problem with him taking the class even if it's not what I dont believe in. He can decide for himself how much he wants to take in. He can ask us questions and we can answer the good ol.......well some people like to believe..... After all, I did RE classes all the way through my schooling at a non religious school and it didn't sway me from my beliefs but rather just educated me on another subject at school. My DH however seems adamant DS does not participate. I didn't think he would feel so strongly about this.
I also don't want DS to feel like he is not included if there are only a few kids that don't participate in RE.
So, anyone else in the same position as us? What have you decided and why? Does it really matter?

#2 RedBob

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

DD started school last year and we were adamant that she was not going to do religious education. In state schools it's usually taught by volunteers from that specific church, so you are very much getting one individuals take on their own religion. I'd be happy for DD to learn about religion from a neutral viewpoint, but I don't want someone filling up her head with views that our family does not subscribe to.

#3 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Can you find out what he'll do if he's not in the religion class?

I also went to a religious school and never believed it, but I think it depends how its taught - the non-religious schools seem to end up with more preachy people, IYKWIM, I guess because they may be volunteers as WingBob says. My problem with it is that it doesn't tend to be a religion class, but a christianity class. I'd try to find out more about the specific class and what would be organised for those not doing religion before making a decision.

Edited by HerringToMarmalade, 02 February 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#4 tazcan

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

The RE lessons at our public non religious school are very preachy and the kids are always given lollies in class. Personally I was totally gobsmacked by some of the things DD was coming home saying. The children who don't participate stay supervised in their classroom with their normal teacher and play or colour. Thankfully this year our school is introducing ethics lessons as an alternative.

#5 2bundles

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

I feel the same as you. Education is always a positive.

DS attends a different religion to ours, but it is Christian. He hasn't said anything that makes me think he is being misinformed or brainwashed. He wants to go so he does.

I think about 50-70% of kids go and it is quite an alternate school.

#6 minxy07

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

we pulled DS out of RE after about 6 weeks as even though it is supposed to be a class in "general" religion it was totally about christianity and nothing about all the other wonderful cultures and religions that make our school what it is (which when you read the syllabus they actually started was part of teh curriculum.
While our kids are kept in their class room they utilise the time reading, finishing work, colouring etc - nothing to stressful.
As the teachers are volunteers from the church, what is taught a lot of the time is what that person believes.  At the end of last year we had a major issue at our school (primary - grade 1 class) where when a child asked a question about santa, the class was told in no uncertain terms that santa didn't exist and that your parents gave you presents! To say the school and parents were horrified was an understatement.
I am all for a class that teaches children a "balanced view" about all religions and I think this is sadly missing from our education system
Just my opinion and experiences

#7 ImpatientAnna

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

I have found that in nsw public schools it's pretty preachy and as it's run by church volunteers, they are often trying get more attendance at the local church. I won't be letting my DS attend when he commences school. I will be teaching DS about eastern religions, DH can do Christianity (his dad was a Presbyterian minister - but he is now an atheist) and we both know a little about Judaism and Islam......though admittedly could do with a better resource with those two.

#8 epl0822

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I realise there are horror stories about RE just as there are horror stories about unqualified people teaching any subject. However my personal experience of RE was positive. I went to a Christian school and my RE teacher was adamant that RE classes would be, literally, a religious education - so we learnt about several major religions across the world. It was fascinating to visit a mosque and learn about the major tenets of Islam from an imam, then discuss afterwards what was true/false about the perceptions we previously held about Islam. We also learnt what distinguished the different denominations across Christianity and about Buddhism etc.

Even if RE classes teach only Christianity, I still think it's worth learning, for the sake of education. You can be involved and encourage your kids to think critically. I think it's really sad when atheist parents insist on keeping their kids in ignorance about all religions (in fact, I think it's really narrow minded) because we live in a world where lots of people's choices and decisions and politics and such are influenced by religion. You also understand history and other cultures a lot better when you have a basic grasp of religion. If I lived in an Islam dominated culture I would want my children to learn about Islam so they better understand their surroundings and the beliefs of their peers and why they believe what they believe.

#9 BadCat

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (epl0822 @ 05/02/2013, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's really sad when atheist parents insist on keeping their kids in ignorance about all religions (in fact, I think it's really narrow minded) because we live in a world where lots of people's choices and decisions and politics and such are influenced by religion.

You do know that atheist parents are often quite capable of teaching their kids about various beliefs?  What's more, we can do it without any of the elelments of indoctrination which are so often present in RE classes.

I am an atheist and I would let my child go to RE when pigs fly.

#10 MrsLexiK

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

My first few years of school was at a non religious school.  I did RE (I was however baptized) I don't remember it being preachy as such and if it was it clearly didn't really hold too much.  I moved to a religious private school later and we had to do RE lessons and later in yr 11 and 12 they did Ethics instead.  We had chapel and a few other church services each term and had to sing hyms and say a prayer at most assembly's (it was Angelican school) The RE teacher there was fantastic though, basically Angelican views where taught in things like chapel and in the readings that where selected however we were taught in RE about all other types of religon (this happened even in the jnr school section not just in the high school sectino) and we learnt alot about events involving religon tensions and issues .

#11 Lishyfips

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

I won't be letting my kids do RE at their state primary school until I know a bit about who is coming in to run the sessions. I'm all for them learning a bit about Christianity but am put off by stories of right-wing Christian extremists taking on the gig to push their views. If it's some nice person from the Uniting Church with progressive, socially inclusive views I'd be all for it.

#12 Lyn29

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#13 MsNorbury

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

I think it's really sad when atheist parents insist on keeping their kids in ignorance about all religions (in fact, I think it's really narrow minded) because we live in a world where lots of people's choices and decisions and politics and such are influenced by religion.

I think it is really sad that people come into my child's school and teach them their one religious doctrine. Yes at our school it is religious instruction, not religious education, there is a diference.  I know of young kids kids who have been told that you must believe in god and they have come home worried for their parents.

If there was an option for a real curriculum that shares the social, political and historical contexts and beliefs of a range of religons then I would be first in line to sign up. If it is a volunteer from the local church where I have no idea what they are teaching or who they are then no thanks.

By the same token I think it is sad when people hold their children back from sex ed based on their religion, denying them important information! or

Edited by juliettesmum, 05 February 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#14 minxy07

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

I agree Juliettes mum, I have no problem with my kids being taught religious education as long as it is all religions. My kids went to a creche where there were a lot of carers from various ethnic backgrounds. They came away from this with a great overall understanding that everyone had different beliefs, values and a different view on what god was to them.
I would re-enrol my kids in a heart beat if I knew the program was going to be a balanced view of all religions with no one pushing their own opinion (which the santa incident was classic example). Sadly this does not look like it will happen any time soon

#15 RedBob

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (epl0822 @ 05/02/2013, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's really sad when atheist parents insist on keeping their kids in ignorance about all religions (in fact, I think it's really narrow minded) because we live in a world where lots of people's choices and decisions and politics and such are influenced by religion. You also understand history and other cultures a lot better when you have a basic grasp of religion.

A friend of mine knows more about the bible than anyone I have ever met. He is an atheist. I know other athiests who know a great deal more about the Quran than many adherents to Islam.

I would be happy for DD to learn about religion. What I would not be happy with is DD coming home in tears because some bigotted auld witch told her that people who don't believe in God get sent to the burning fires of hell, as happened to one friend of mine, or being asked, nastily, why you celebrate Christmas when you dont' believe is Jesus, as happened to my sister.

#16 tazcan

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

went to a Christian school and my RE teacher was adamant that RE classes would be, literally, a religious education - so we learnt about several major religions across the world. It was fascinating to visit a mosque and learn about the major tenets of Islam from an imam, then discuss afterwards what was true/false about the perceptions we previously held about Islam. We also learnt what distinguished the different denominations across Christianity and about Buddhism etc.

Funnily enough I went to a religious school and the RE lessons there were far less preachy than DDs public school. They were run by a qualified teacher and even though they were based on Christianity there was no preachy whatsoever involved. Whereas at DDs school I think it is someone from one of the local churches around running Sunday School type of lessons and preaching to the kids. Very sad as I would have been happy for DD to learn about religion at school but now I have to withdraw her.

#17 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Yes, RE in public schools in NSW is not comparative religion...they learn that as part of the normal syllabus (which is great) ....RE is religious instruction ...at my sons school they split it up into "Anglican scripture", "catholic Scripture" and there is a yr two boy who  does "Jewish scripture" .....it's not comparative at all...if it was they wouldn't need to split it up!

My son does "non scripture" which is colouring in....

#18 Bunsen the feral

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

I spoke to the Catholic scripture teacher at DS's school and it is clear that the aim is to preach rather than educate so have opted DS out of the classes. I would welcome an actual educational program teaching about all different religions, history, social context etc but as this isn't offered it is something we will have to cover at home.

I have no objection to him taking part in religious education eg today is Yom Kippur, Easter, whatever- with an explanation of who celebrates it, what the customs are etc but I do object to him being told that a religious belief is the absolute truth and there are consequences for your soul if you don't believe.

DS is in FYOS so the half hour a week wasted while not in scripture doesn't overly concern me, next year he can join the ethics program.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.