Please help! Is stopping solids the answer?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Goggie

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

We started solids with DS 3 weeks ago at 4.5 months (was exclusively BF before that). I initially started with tastes and not really expecting him to eat anything but within a couple of days he was gobbling it all up, reaching for the spoon and crying when he was finished so I increased portion sizes and started giving 2 meals then 3 small meals.
He is on the 5th percentile for weight and height so I wasn't worried about overfeeding as such as mchn had mentioned he was small for his age. I should mention he is a reflux and extremely colicky baby who has an issue with cows milk so I have cut out all dairy from my diet. He has always had a sensitive stomach.

Anyway, he loves his food and we have introduced a number of veggies and know that avocado doesn't agree with his belly yet as it gave him hard pellet poos but thats the only 'reaction' we have had.

Since we have started though, he has had severe abdominal pain, to the point where he cries a lot until he farts (he has always been a windy baby), his poos are harder to pass and he often cries when passing it and he is much more unsettled at night. He goes down at bedtime ok at 7pm, then will wake up at 9 or 10 screaming and inconsolable.

Bf wont help as he just refuses it, settling in cot, picking up, unwrapping and cuddling doesn't work, he just screams and screams. You can tell he has stomach pain as he farts a lot, brings his knees up and kicks and grunts like he is trying to do a poo but nothing comes out.

DH and I are at our wits end. It is horrible to see him in such pain and the screaming can go on for an hour or two before he finally settles for the night and goes back to sleep with the one middle of the night wake up. We have been giving panadol on the really bad nights but this can't be good to be giving on an ongoing basis and I don't want to feel like I need to drug my baby to get him to settle.

Mchn helpline has suggested reducing solids or stopping altogether and trying again in a month to get his stomach to recover with just breastmilk and I am unsure if this is the right thing. He loves his food and part of me thinks that cutting it out completely is kind of going backwards and will unsettle him further? We were just getting into a good day routine of bf, solids, play, sleep etc and his day sleeps were improving (they have always been crap).

So thoughts? Has anyone started solids and then stopped? Did it work or just confuse your little one?
What else would people suggest?

#2 LovenFire

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Have you tried offering gripe water, or similar things like infants friend etc?

I also found putting a tiny shake of nutmeg or cumin in the food I offer bub seems to help with digestion ... Also he then eats the food!

#3 Goggie

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

I've tried everything. My kitchen drawer is full of colic concotions and gripe waters. Nothing works.

#4 le_auteur

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I initially started my DS (formula fed) at 3.5mo based on paed recommendation, however he didn't (unsurprisingly) tolerate it -too well, even though it was bland tastes. Seemed to make him windy and unsettled too, so we stopped again until 5mo and it was all good from then on. No harm in stopping for a bit, and some infants friend may help with the wind in the meantime.

#5 michie0moo

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

What solids are you giving him? If there are any iron fortified foods I would drop those at least. Iron is a pretty common cause of constipation.
If that doesn't help (or you don't use them anyway), I would take the advice of the MCHN.

#6 Goggie

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

We've tried sweet potato, potato, pumpkin, zucchini, carrot, pears and apple. He hates rice cereal.

Edit: and he's sucked on melon

Edited by Goggie, 02 February 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#7 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

At 4.5 months some babies gut flora hasn't developed well enough to tolerate solids.

If he's in epic pain I would reduce solids, but if you're going to continue consider introducing a probiotic.

#8 Meandkids

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

You little boy is still very young.  Maybe his gut is not ready for large amounts of food.  I'd pull back a bit.  Maybe take everything out for a few days except some infant rice cereal with breast milk.  Wait for him to settle and then reintroduce one food at a time every few days so that you can watch for reactions.

Good luck!

#9 Excentrique Feral

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

You could give it a try for a few days OP, see if he settles, and if he doesn't I'd be looking at any possible culprits in your diet.

Have you been reading all packets of food you eat? Milk is in so much stuff its crazy. Also steer clear of any spice, onion, garlic and large amounts of tomato.

Also, when everything failed for my pooping bubbles baby boy, we tried donnalix. Its an over the counter wind medication. He slept 5 hrs straight the first time he had it.

#10 bonnybabe

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

it could be the fructose, my friend has a kid with a fructose intolerance, made her cry for hours. Its the sugar in fruit and sweet veg.  Try just the rice cereal for a while.

#11 Goggie

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

I'm lactose, fructose and wheat intolerant so my diet doesn't include many of the irritants.

We do give him a probiotic every day, have since 8 weeks and he is also on Zantac for the reflux. Haven't heard of donnalix though so will check that out.

He won't eat rice cereal. We tried that first before veggies and the teaspoon or so he took in also caused stomach upsets.

Edited by Goggie, 02 February 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#12 Excentrique Feral

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

If you have intolerances then there is a good chance your baby does too.

I'd go back to rice cereal and introduce new foods very slowly watching for reactions.

#13 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

What was he like before the solids? Was he windy?

#14 Goggie

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

I don't want to come across as defensive but if he had issues with rice cereal I'm not sure going back to that will help?

Yes he's always been windy and needed to be burped a lot and had to do bicycle legs with him to help him pass wind. It just seems worse now and the inconsolable screaming is new.

#15 José

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

I know a nurse who recommends paediatric chiropractor for babies who have trouble with gas and poo. Its not something I know about but might be worth looking into???

#16 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

I would cut back on solids for a few days and see how that goes. He may have more breastfeeds to make up for it.

I'm not sure what your reasons for starting solids early were but unless you were told to due to medical reasons I probably would wait a bit longer. At that age, he's not going to miss the solids and he'll make the feeds up with breast milk.

#17 harryhoo

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

You mentioned he had pellet poos after avocado? Other than that are the alright? My DS had shocking constipation when he started solids... and the paed said that pellet poos were worse than no poo. It went on for a couple of months - i tried boiling prunes, prune juice (a little in his mash) and cut out things like banana which add to constipation. If the rest of his poos are okay this may not help! But if you think it may be related to constipation I can let you know other things we did to help him, such as bicycle kicks. Good luck - it's so tricky introducing solids. I think it takes a little while for their systems to get used to it all. I started DS on solids at about 4.5 months too.

#18 Tall Poppy

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

What I would do is go back to exclusive breastfeeding till 6 months & in the meantime see a Paed and attend an allergy clinc. The allergy clinic at RPA s very old if you're in Sydney.

I understand you think stopping solids is going backwards however, till you know gat is caring you uses and why I'd try not to introduce new things. 4 months is still very young so solds aren't really needed anyway.
It may not be alerges at all which is also why I think you need to see a Paed, they can help explore other things that am be causing the symptoms.

#19 mandala

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

I also would probably back off solids for a while. I know how nice it is to have that routine, but it's the most likely thing to be upsetting him.

I had a tiny, tiny baby too, and I was specifically told not to introduce solids to try to get his weight up, as most of the first foods are filling but not calorie-dense. When we finally introduced solids at 6 months, we very quickly moved on to meat and dairy as they had the fat and protein he needed to put on weight. Lentils were also a winner.

If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to use Panadol if he is in pain. Panadol is a very safe medicine when used as directed.

#20 Goggie

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

He seemed ready, reaching for food, staring at me while I ate and MCHN suggested starting early as she was concerned he was almost off the percentile charts as being underweight.

I hadn't thought about chiro so thanks for that.

I don't mind if he bf more as long as he gets enough as I need to pump every day to keep up my supply.

Harrywho what else did you do? Oh and I bought prunes yesterday but wasn't sure if I wanted to give him anything today so haven't boiled them yet.

#21 Shirley Sue

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Goggie @ 02/02/2013, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've tried sweet potato, potato, pumpkin, zucchini, carrot, pears and apple. He hates rice cereal.

Edit: and he's sucked on melon

I noticed with my dd when she first started solids that starchy foods like potato and sweet potato blocked her up.

Instead of farex I gave her happy bellies brown rice cereal which has pre and pro biotics. (I know you said he doesn't like rice cereal but a friends baby refused farex but loved this). I got it from my local health food store.

Good luck.

#22 Goggie

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm in Melb BadKitteh, but see a paed next appt is end of this month.

I think I'll stop for a few days and see how he goes. He's 5 months and 1 week now so hopefully a break will do him good.

#23 SeaPrincess

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (bonnybabe @ 02/02/2013, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it could be the fructose, my friend has a kid with a fructose intolerance, made her cry for hours. Its the sugar in fruit and sweet veg.  Try just the rice cereal for a while.

I think you mean Fructose Malabsorption. Fructose Intolerance is a life-threatening inherited condition, not just uncomfortable.

OP, bear in mind that at that age, solids aren't the main source of nutrition - offer BF before solids so he doesn't eat so much and I would probably cut back the variety of foods and see if you can pinpoint a main cause. One of my friends started her refluxy baby on solids at 4 months under the direction of a paed, and if you're really concerned it might be worth seeing one.

#24 Tall Poppy

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (Goggie @ 02/02/2013, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in Melb BadKitteh, but see a paed next appt is end of this month.

I think I'll stop for a few days and see how he goes. He's 5 months and 1 week now so hopefully a break will do him good.

I think that's a good plan for now. Both of my kids are digestivally challenged as I call it. For different reasons & it can be hard. I hope your Paed can work with you to sort things out.

If you think it is more a bowel/poo issue there's an EB member here who's a guru in all things poo, Balzac. You coud trying sending her a PM for some ideas  as well.

#25 jdevine

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

I have notcued with my DD that Lentils really do get things moving. I also skipped rice cereal all together, I just have her porridge made with water and thinned with EBM or formula. Just an idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.