Third labour - epidural?

12 replies to this topic

#1 sparkles30

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hi. Not long until this bub is born and I'm starting to freak out about the pain. I didn't have and epidural with my first two, but considering it for my third.

I'm worried about epidural complications, but wonder whether they are less for a third labour as it won't be as slow etc. Can anyone tell me about problems they had?

Also, for those who have had a third labour, was there time for an epi? How long did you push for in your third labour (this is the stage I dread).

#2 ubermum

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Even if I had wanted one, there wasn't time. From start to finish my labour was not much more than 2 hours and I didn't push. In fact I had to keep sucking down gas so I didn't push and send the baby hurtling across the room. It was my shortest labour by far. My other two were both hours longer.

#3 BabyHopeful

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

My 3rd labour was a fair bit longer than my 2nd. Plenty of time for an epidural but the thought never entered my mind. Gas and TENS machine were enough for me. I also had a doula with me for my 3rd who was an absolute godsend.

Pushing stage was 9 minutes! Although it felt like longer.

#4 PolkaDots

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hi, i know you asked for experiences of 3rd labours but I just experienced my 2nd labour 2 weeks ago.

My labour was completely different, had 2 days of prelabour, so by the time my water broke and I could go to the hospital I was already 7cm. I couldn't handle the pain though, DD2 was posterior just like DD1, so I got an epidural.

My pushing stage was 1.5hrs, but overall labour was shorter (7hrs). I had an epidural for DD1 pushing stage 45mins but overall labour 13hrs.

#5 R2B2

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

My 3rd was very fast. like you, my most dreaded part was the pushing. this time was a breeze. from telling the midwife I needed to push to baby being out was less than 15 minutes.

#6 sparkles30

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

My first labour was 2.5 hours of pushing, second labour only 10 minutes of pushing, but I still dread that bit and contemplating an epidural. Guess I will just go with the flow on the day.

#7 againagain

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

My 3rd labour was less than two hours, and I only pushed for 2 minutes. No time for an epi.

#8 katieface84

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

My first was 23 hrs of posterior labour, 3 1/2 hrs of pushing, no drugs (not through choice, couldn't get an epi sad.gif ) Episiotamy and very quick recovery, felt fine within 48 hrs (no panadol, etc needed).

My second was 9 hours. Got an epi within 45 mins of arriving at hospital. Went from 4cm to 10cm within 1 1/2 hours but had just had an epi top up so couldn't feel anything to push. Could literally not feel one contraction from having the epidural until it wore off enough to push. The pushing stage lasted just over an hour and I got a second degree tear.

What came next was not so good. About an hour or so after having my daughter I was back in my room and needed to pee. I struggled to walk to the toilet and started bleeding heavily and losing dinner sized plate clots ... was very scary and was looking at surgery if they couldn't stop the bleeding. Turns out I should have been given a cathedar as I was fully numb and wasnt able to empty my bladder properly. This caused my bladder to be enlarged and it stopped my uterus from contracting back down which caused the clots and bleeding. Once they drained my bladder and gave me drugs to contract my uterus all was good. I felt pretty shocking for a few days with tubes all over the place and bed bound, needing help to breastfeed etc. Just worth knowing as I had never even heard of that side effect occurring.

Edited by katieface84, 02 February 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#9 sparkles30

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Yikes, Katieface, that sounds scary. I lost a lot of blood and had heaps of clots after my second and needed some drugs to help, but didn't have an epidural so maybe it is not necessarily due to that. Though I know they have to give you a catheter with an epi, so not sure why they neglected that with you. Glad you came through it okay.

#10 I'msoMerry

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

I had an epi with my 2nd. (my first was horrendous and I wasnt going through that again)
I didnt need to have a catheter so it is not always a rule. They let the epi wear off though so I felt the pain of him coming out. Had major tearing so wasnt good.

For my third It was the first thing I asked for when I got to hospital but they reckoned it was too late.
I dont know if that were true as DD wasnt born for another two and half hours.

I recommend it if you can have one. Not feeling those contractions with my second was fantastic!!
I was induced with him so I had it booked before I even got there and didnt feel one pain. Labour was about six hours.

#11 Carmen02

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Wouldnt of had time for my 3rd..labour just over an hour..couple of pusheshe wwas out..my 1st took over 2hrs of pushing my 2nd half an hour

#12 bettymm

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Katie face, OMG that does sound scary

I had an epidural in my second delivery as I developed an extremely stubborn cervical lip that was excruciatingly painful and also babies head was not in the "correct" position and was not budging.  After a few hours of trying all sorts of positions I was screaming the place down in agony and bub was in distress so epi for me and vacuum extraction for bub. I must say one of the most painful and distressing parts of that whole labour was the nurses trying (and struggling) to get that damned cathedar in me!  they wouldnt administer the epi until it was in.  I was so swollen down there they were really having trouble getting it in and it felt like I was just being stabbed over and over WHILE still having ridiculously painful contractions.

I know now why they insisted on getting it in though, I didnt understand at the time what could happen without one.

Overall... in my experience, I MUCH preferred my first epi free birth.  I disliked not being able to feel my baby coming out and i didnt like having to be told to push.   However, if it wears off by the time you have to push that would be much better.  Though i really had not many options at that point, I was in too much pain and the baby just wasnt coming out sad.gif  I felt very cheated as most peoples second babies just seem to fly out!

So OP, my epi was performed very well, once the cathedar was finally in I couldnt feel a thing!  no complications and i recovered well and was actually up and walking about and showering by myself not long after the birth and first feed.

#13 bakesgirls

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

My first labour was drug free and I decided that I was never going to do that again. My next two I had epidurals for.

With my second, it took 2 attempts to get the epidural to work as the first attempt left me with patchy pain relief.  Once it was in, it was really dense and I couldn't feel a thing at all. DD2 was born after 3 attempts at ventouse and then was born on the third attempt at forceps. She had passed meconium at the start of my labour and was becomming distressed so there was a bit of a rush to get her out. As I couldn't feel anything at all, I was unable to help push her out. She was also my biggest baby at 3.4kg. It took 3 hours for the epidural to wear off completely so I could get out of bed.

With my third, I had an epidural again, but this time it was perfection. The anaesthetist got it right the first time. It felt like little electric shocks when she was putting it in, but that sensation passed very quickly and still beats a contraction anyday IMO. I could feel everything that was going on during labour. I felt every contraction, felt pressure, was able to push but didn't feel any pain at all and was still able to wiggle my toes. It was wonderful. My third stage was 2 minutes. I was able to get up and have a shower around an hour after her birth.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The day my daughter almost drowned

We had six adults standing there, so I felt like I could relax a bit. After all, what could go wrong with so much supervision?

Sydney siege survivor names baby after victim Katrina Dawson

A Sydney barrister who survived the Lindt cafe siege has named her newborn daughter after her best friend who died in the tragedy.

Banishing bloat

How to avoid a bloated tummy

Here are some foods to eat in order to escape feeling ghastly and gassy.

The great new picture book for anxious kids

My son is a worrier by nature. I learnt long ago that it was completely pointless to say to him "Don't worry about it!".

Budget stripped more than $15b from families

The combined impact of the two budgets for low and middle income people was "devastating", new analysis by the Australian Council of Social Service shows.

Pregnant women urged to get flu shots

As the winter chill starts to arrive, NSW Health is urging pregnant women to get their flu shots.

65-year-old gives birth to quadruplets

A 65-year-old German woman, who already has 13 children, has given birth to quadruplets.

What you need to know about pregnancy and health insurance

It's not just waiting periods that couples need to consider - there are other factors to consider when thinking about health insurance.

Yummy mummy

Nicole Trunfio breastfeeds baby on Elle magazine cover

Australian model Nicole Trunfio has taken the concept of multitasking to a fashionable new level for Elle Australia.

Warnings after baby girl died while sleeping in bouncer

Parents have been warned about the dangers of letting babies sleep in bouncers and swings following the death of a three-month-old girl.

Coping with fatigue as a parent

Sleep deprivation is a real hazard of caring for a baby. But there are ways to manage the challenges of fatigue better.

A very 21st century issue: parents, parks and smart phones

It's not all the parents, and it's not all the time, but there is often at least one doing it. And sometimes, that 'one' is me.

Appliances

Faulty washing machines linked to house fires

More than 80,000 faulty Samsung washing machines pose a fire threat in homes throughout Australia despite a nationwide recall of the machines.

'I had a lotus birth and I loved it'

Lotus birthing is not all that common, but for a number of women it feels like the most natural thing to do.

7 things you might not know about postnatal depression

Despite its widespread nature, there is still a great amount of mystery surrounding PND - and it's important to try unravelling as much of that as we can.

Is your family's car part of the world's biggest safety recall?

More than 50 million vehicles recalled for potentially lethal airbag fault - is your car affected?

Why drinking water can be deadly for babies

H2O is one of the necessities of life, but for babies a seemingly harmless amount of water can be fatal.

Mother-in-law faceplants during proposal

He had it all planned: a romantic proposal on a windswept beach. The whole family would be there so they'd all be able to celebrate the joyous moment together.

A preschooler suddenly goes mute - and it's not just shyness

When our son stopped talking, our sense of loss was painful and acute.

The mums who ask for a 'wife bonus'

They run their homes like domestic CEOs and work tirelessly to improve their family's social standing. And now, according to a new book, they want an annual perk from their husbands.

Woman shares photo of dimple on breast to warn others of cancer risk

A widely-shared Facebook photograph of a British woman's breast has raised awareness of a more subtle breast cancer symptom.

Starting a family despite a low sperm count

"I'd never really failed a test - how could I fail this particularly manly test?"

It's official: we must better protect our kids from toxic lead exposure

New guidelines have been released, aimed at reducing children's harmful exposure to lead. But they still don't go far enough.

Trouble-shooting toddler social skills

Chances are your toddler's behaviour is all completely normal - but here's how to tackle some common social problems.

Helping your first-born welcome a sibling

We did sigh with joy at the arrival of a royal princess - but, mostly, we sighed with pity at the sight of Prince George being taken to meet her.

Farewell, daytime nap

I've been in denial and I'm not too proud to beg, but it appears I must accept the fact that you have gone. I need to let you go.

The identical triplets who are one in 50 million

The father of identical triplets born in a Texas hospital says his three daughters, including conjoined twins, are "a miracle" sent by God.

Seven questions you should be asking about your health cover

If the last time you assessed your health cover was five years ago, there?s a chance it may no longer suit your needs. To ensure it?s still right for your family, click here for seven questions to ask.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

How to use gas effectively in labour

Many women in labour don't use gas effectively and suffer more side effects than benefits. Here's how to get the most out of this pain relief option.

'He has gastro but that's okay, right?': sick kid etiquette

We cannot place all children who are sick in a bubble till they recover, but we can give other parents a choice about exposing their kids to them.

Ada Nicodemou: 'I can never be completely happy again'

Home and Away actress Ada Nicodemou has opened up about the loss of her stillborn baby.

10 things to consider when you're thinking about trying for a baby

Before you start tracking your menstrual cycle and reading up on the best positions to get pregnant, there are a few other things you may want to consider.

How special surgery and IVF can create a post-vasectomy baby

Cricket legend Glenn McGrath and his second wife Sara are expecting their first child together, thanks to IVF and a delicate surgical sperm retrieval process that helped the couple to conceive.

Belle Gibson's mother 'disgusted and embarrassed'

The mother of disgraced wellness blogger Belle Gibson has accused her daughter of lying about her childhood in an attempt to garner public sympathy.

Doctor's mobile phone 'left inside c-section mum'

A new mum claims a doctor left his mobile phone inside her after delivering her baby via caesarean section.

I'm a mum and I'm following my dreams

I want my kids to know that no matter what happens in life, you can still be who it is that you've always wanted to be.

Those first daycare days

I had this innate 'mum' moment the other day.

'If one person had listened, my life would have been so different'

Katherine's father will die in prison for the horrifying sexual abuse of his daughter. Yet she is the one with the true life sentence.

This new plan undermines breastfeeding and baby health at everyone's expense

Mothers, babies, the health system and the wider society are going to pay the price of this new budget.

Couple to celebrate terminally ill baby's birthday in unique way

Baby Jai Bishop has lived at Starship Hospital for the past seven months, with his parents flying back and forth from Hokitika, 1100km away, to be by his side.

Life On Mars

It's men who need 'retraining', not women

We are all responsible for our own behaviour. Telling victims to harden up is wrong.

Baby Gammy's dad tries to claim charity money

The biological father of baby Gammy has reportedly tried to access charity money raised for the little boy's medical costs.

Where are the childcare places?

It?s all very well to encourage women to work if they choose to, but how can the measures lead to increased workforce participation when women are once again left holding the baby?

The pain of not having babies and not knowing why

After seven years of wishing, hoping, crying, punching pillows and shouting "why me?!", the end result is more than I ever thought possible.

Getting your family finances in order

Whether you're after a new car for a growing family, a bigger house, or are just fixing up your finances, here are the basics on borrowing.

Mum shares graphic selfie to warn against tanning

A mum has shared a graphic photo of her skin cancer treatment as a warning to others.

Does parenthood make us happier?

We can certainly gain higher levels of happiness when we become parents, but the trick is to not get overwhelmed by the pressures of raising our kids.

No, having a dog is not like having a human child

It's obvious these people dote on their pets, but they're barking up the wrong tree.

Top baby names

Baby Names

The numbers are in and we can now bring you the 2014 top baby name list for Australia.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.