How much money wouldn't you hand in?
Spin Off....

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 PatG

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

So, with everyone saying that they would hand in the $1200 found at a shopping centre, what's the largest amount you would keep if you found it?

I picked up a $50 note at a bus stop and took it into a shop to return directly to the owner as I'd seen the guy drop it when he got off a bus.

I kept $40 found on the footpath on a Sunday morning (thinking dropped getting out of a cab perhaps).

I think, if there were no identifying characteristics, I might keep up to $100 if I found it but hand in to the police anything higher.  Not sure though.

If it was money contained in something like a wallet I wouldn't keep any of it, even if the wallet didn't have any cards with name etc.  I'd just take the whole thing to the police.

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

If I saw someone drop it, it wouldn't matter how much it was, I would pick it up and give it back to them. I saw a guy leave his wallet on a seat once and he walked away so fast I had to run after him!

If there was stray money with absolutely no way of knowing where it came from, up to $50 or so dollars I would keep. More than that I would hand it in.

#3 unicycle

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I saw five cents on the ground today and couldn't be bothered picking it up. Thought of the smile on an hypothetical child's face when he picked it up instead ( yes, I imagined a boy). Does this count?

#4 Feral Joules

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

I'd keep up to $20, assuming I didn't see the person lose it.

#5 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Ooh good one.  Depends on the place.  Same as OP really.  

I'd always hand in a purse or wallet or a packet that looked like rent money or whatever.  

Inside a shop, at work, childcare etc, or beside an ATM or anywhere the owner is likely to be easily identifiable I'd hand in any note.   I'd probably keep coins though unless I actually saw who dropped them.  

On the street/park/beach with no obvious owner, I'd probably keep anything under $100.

#6 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

hmmm with no way of returning it, no name, wallet etc?  probably $50?

#7 ubermum

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I wouldn't hand in money. I'd put a note up where I found it and an email address.

#8 (feral)epg

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

It's not the amount of money, it's the likelihood of tracing the owner.
I twice found $50 notes at university and kept them - because seriously what are the chances of locating who'd dropped it.

But if a business had undercharged me anything more than about $5 I would probably make some effort to get it back to them etc

If I found a large amount of cash (probably would need to be over $200) that didn't look traceable I would hand it in to the police.

#9 JRA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

DH found $50 or so at a shopping centre. He handed it in to the shopping centre. A woman who lost it was a single mother, in a very low socio economic area. It certainly reminded us how important handing in money is

#10 FeralDancesHere

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Probably $50 - $100. If there were identifying details then I'd hand it in no matter the amount.

DS's day was totally made when he found a $5 note a while ago. He wanted to buy lots and lots of lolly-pops with it.

#11 Jembo

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

No wallet, not seeing someone drop it, probably up to $100.

#12 BadCat

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Yes I'd set it at about $100 as well, depending on circumstance.

#13 *Mrs_Cullen*

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Id hand in any amount.

When I was about 14 I went to the Paddys markets with my mate and we found a fileofax thingy when we sat to have lunch.

We handed it in at the local police station. It had almost $7000 cash and passports inside.
Turns out. the couple were honeymooning and lost it on a day trip.

I felt so good knowing I did the right thing and that has stuck with me all these years later.

#14 Mootmoot

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

I once found $1000 in a shopping centre and handed it in.  Secretly hoping, of course, that no-one would claim it and it would be mine.  It wasn't, but I have too much empathy to have kept it.

Like others, if there was anything identifying I'd hand in/ locate owner.  But otherwise I think it depends on location - in a shopping centre I might hand in $50, as there's arrangements in place for lost property, but just on the street I'd say over $100 to bother the police with.

#15 vanessa71

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

When I was 15, my sister and I found a wallet on a bus that we were on, we were travelling from Melbourne to Adelaide. I asked the people around me if they had lost a wallet and no one had, so I handed it in to the driver. I hope the driver did the right thing, but my family seemed to think that he probably would have kept it.

The most money I have ever found was $50, I kept it, it was just in the street, I had no way of knowing who it belonged to. If I had seen who dropped it I would have given it back, I would get far more satisfaction out of giving someone back their money than I would spending it.

#16 Fr0g

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

If im truthful, I could see myself keeping any loose note I found - so I guess my limit would be $100.

#17 Tobias'smum

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

i found 300 bucks at a concert one time (BDO) it was with some drugs  - i handed the drugs to security (who probably would have taken them to sell  wink.gif but i kept the money - i gave 75 of it to a group of girls to catch a cab home later that night - their friend was drunk and they were ment to go with a boy friend but they broke up at concert  so at least i know they go home safe - they texted me later to say thank you as their parents would have been angry

Wallets or identafiable markings i would hand in

#18 ~sydblue~

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

DD8 found $10 under some seating at a game a couple of years ago. We allowed her to keep it, because we had gotten there early and she had walked around with the claw thing and helped pick up rubbish from the previous days games. So she earnt it.

Last year DD13 found $20 on the ground. She saw a girl in a particular jacket drop it, but a lot of them were wearing their club jackets. So she told their coach and noone came and claimed the money(we didn't say how much it was) within a fortnight. So we let her keep it.

#19 CountryFeral

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (vanessa71 @ 02/02/2013, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was 15, my sister and I found a wallet on a bus that we were on, we were travelling from Melbourne to Adelaide. I asked the people around me if they had lost a wallet and no one had, so I handed it in to the driver. I hope the driver did the right thing, but my family seemed to think that he probably would have kept it.

Don't think that!  

I left my wallet on the bus once and a couple of hours later got a knock on the door - it was the bus driver giving it back to me!  My Mum offered him a cup of tea and he gestured out the door to a bus load of waiting staring confused passengers and said "Uh... best get back to it all the same  thanks madame!"

I used to take the same bus home every Friday night and often if it was just me and one or two other people on the bus they would stop and let me off right outside my house instead of the 'designated stop' so they knew where I lived!

For me as pp's have said it is the likelihood of someone reclaiming it that would make the decision for me.

$100 floating by on the wind? Mine!

$20 and a shopping list sitting in a basket in my tiny IGA? Hand it over.

$300 and a bag of drugs? Mine! (the money not the drugs!)

$5 in a wallet? Hand it over

I remember many years ago we were camping in Europe - the poor Contiki Tour people would turn up in the campsites and be rushed off again at some ungodly hour in the morning, dragging their hideously hungover selves through the shower blocks with their mind not on the job at all..

We scored quite a few bottle of shampoo and on more than one occasion cash that they had dropped - they were going to be in a new country by the afternoon un reachable - plus had probably no idea if they had dropped it or spent it on drinks the previous night, so we always kept it!  

Had a few nice meals thanks to Contiki cash!

#20 mumtoactivetoddler

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

My kids and I have doorknocked around our street and put up a sign for $20 (without saying how much was found so they did need to identify the amount of money). A $2 coin or $5 note probably wouldn't bother. If I know who dropped it, absolutely any amount, and I have handed in a fair number of wallets left in parents rooms too. Frankly over $50 I would take it to the police station, under that put signs up.

#21 Majeix

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

I dunno would depend on the circumstances but probably 20.00. I let dd keep $5 but I told her any identifying details/anything more and we would have handed it in.

When I was a child I found $50 at the supermarket we handed it in to management. Years and years later we got a call saying they had just found this envelope wiht money in it and our name/phone number on the front. No one had ever returned for it but it had been put away in a drawer and forgotten about/store had changed managment a few times. So yeah that was nice...

#22 Jeyamoo

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Around $50 as long as there was no way of identifying it (ie no note or wallet etc)

#23 Apageintime

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

My walk to work takes me past a row of pubs and I often find  5 to $10 in change on the footpath outside.

I use it to buy big issue magazines and to tip the girl that sells me my morning coffee. I hope it balances out!

If I saw someone drop it I'd hand it back no matter how small the amount though.

#24 Satay Chicken

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

My DH accidently left a bag on the roof of our car on Thursday, then got in his truck and drove off.  By the time he realised and got back to the car, 20 minutes later, the bag was gone along with the $1078 inside it.  I was his collections from the day before and now his work is requiring we pay it all back this week.

I'm so depressed about it today, we have a baby on the way and we still have so many things to get for him.  I could never do that, I would always hand money in like that to the police.

sad.gif

#25 matildasmummy

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

After suffering the sickness and elation of losing and having a lost wallet returned, I will always try to get a found wallet back to it's owner all contents intact (the finder of my wallet actually looked  me up in the whitepages from my driver's licence and called my mum and dad) but just cash on it's own - $100 tops I reckon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.