How does a person quit sugar ? *spinoff*
Its in everything!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 KBM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

After reading a recent post about someone farewelling their Tim Tams, a poster mentioned she had quit sugar.  A friend of mine also said that she was a week into quitting sugar and it was getting easier.

My question is - how do you quit sugar when its in everything?  I understand, dont add sugar to your coffee, dont put sugar on your weetbix etc.  But what about everyday cooking?  I will often use bbq or tomato sauce to help flavour a dish (spag bog, casserole etc) but sauces are laden with sugar.  I will use a jar of chicken tonite or similar - lots of sugar.

Do you have to cut out every little drop of sugar or just the main culprits like cake, cookies, choc, lollies etc.

What about white bread, white rice or white pasta?  I prefer multigrain bread anyway but wholemeal pasta just tastes juck!

How do you go about it?

#2 archersmumma

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Great post, I often wonder the same thing! Sorry I have no answers but will be keen to see some responses original.gif

#3 chickendrumstick

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

I'd start by reading the Sweet Poison Quit Plan as it gives great instructions but basically it's cold turkey - throw out the ice cream and tomato sauce, stock up on vegies and ride out the cravings. The first three days were the worst for me but it's all downhill from there.
I highly recommend it - my health, mood and weight are so much better without sugar and I have a lot more energy.

#4 BobTony

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Cutting down on processed food is the easiest. Use passata or tinned tomatoes for tomato based dishes and make a white sauce that you can add flavouring to instead of chicken tonight.  You can find lots of recipes for white sauce, cheese sauce etc on Taste.com.au

#5 rileys-mum

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

You have no processed foods. I am sugar free. Still cook for the kids and hubby, then i have either steak, chicken or fish with salad. Most marinades have sugar as do of the shelf salad dressings. The energy I have is amazing. Initially I did it to loose weight, which I did, but do it now for the energy.

#6 peckingbird

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

The "Quit Sugar" approach as promoted by the likes of Sarah Wilson and David Gillespie does indeed mean avoiding all foods with moderate to high sugar content.  Low sugar foods are those that have less than 3-6g sugar per 100g.  There are many prepackaged foods, sauces etc that are well over this and therefore should be avoided.  

Essentially, eating a cleaner diet with less processed food will eliminate most moderate/high sugar foods.

If you are interested in quitting sugar, then a cold turkey approach may work best.

Alternatively, if a cold turkey approach is too daunting at this stage, there is much to be gained by simply eliminating obvious sugar foods from your diet such as cakes, biscuits, desserts, chocolates etc.

Good luck.

#7 CallMeProtart

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

I try to avoid foods with added sugar or more than about 4% sugar.
I don't tend to use premix sauces anyway, as I've never liked that sweet taste in my savouries, and tinned tomato suffices for any tomato based sauce.
I still have fruits and/or smoothies that include the whole fruit, as then the sugar is offset by fibre. I don't have juices.
I don't use much shelf premixed stuff anyway.

I didn't think white rice and pasta had sugar? Not saying they are healthy for you, but I don't think they have sugar...?  

Check ingredients when you buy stuff - I bought mayo the other day and whole egg mayo was between 1-3% sugar, normal mayo was up to 5%.... and 'lite' and 'low fat' mayo was a massive 22%!!!
FTW??? I knew they add sugar to low fat stuff to cover up the taste... but to go from something that is one hundredth sugar to one fifth sugar - that's crazy!
Even stuff you think is savoury - you have to check. Light and tangy chips are often quite sugary. I found that the pringles sour cream and onion is 3% sugar - and the aldi version is 6%!

Edited by CallMeProtart, 01 February 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#8 MarsBarSlice

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Great topic thank you.  Will definately look into this.  We don't eat a lot of processed sauces so we could maybe start there and build it up.  Not sure how I would cut out chocolate though, any suggestions for a substitute?

#9 credence

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

YEs you do actually quit sugar other than what is in a couple of pieces of fruit per day.

You basically don't put bbq or tomato sauce on anything because these are about 50% sugar, more than chocolate topping.

You can't use pre-made jarred marinades or sauces etc

You basically eat whole foods, home made and get really good at reading labels. It's doable.

#10 Bel Rowley

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I did a bit of a sugar detox recently, although I am back on the wagon I am trying to eat it in moderation instead of all the time. I set my own rules, still had fresh fruit, and didn't worry too much about eating most things as long as they were less than 10% sugar. I didn't eat any biscuits, cakes, chocolate, quit my usual breakfast cereals that were full of sugar and replaced them with cornflakes or weetbix with fresh berries. I never use jarred stirfry sauces or pasta sauces so that was easy enough, I always make from scratch (passata for pasta sauce). It was actually easier than I expected to make the changes and I started feeling a lot better, less tired and run down.

#11 *cough*

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Read every single label. I have been sugar free for three weeks now (save for my PMS induced choc-chip cookie meltdown moment on Wednesday night).

The other day I opened a tin of four bean mix (which I eat all the time) guess what? It has sugar!!!

You just need to be really careful.

Here's my current meal plan/average day:

Breakfast
- old style oats, blueberries, water & whey protein (not flavoured crap), chia to make porridge
- oats & chia whizzed in Thermomix to make flour, cottage cheese, 2 x eggs and make pancake
- Protein smoothie - basically whatever I can think of to throw in, ice, protein, unsweetened almond milk, fruit (sometimes apple and spinach) chia seeds and flax oil.
- Plain eggs on rye toast for a treat
- black coffee.

Lunch
- leftovers
- rye wraps with veges, cottage cheese, homemade meat balls
- rye wraps with natural peanut butter, banana sliced in half on each (yummo)
- protein pancake
- salad with boiled egg

Dinner
- rye wrap pizzas - so cottage cheese as base, mushrooms, olives, tomatoes,
- homemade meat balls
- tuna, egg & sweet potatoe patties, salad
- meat and vege/salad

Snacks of fruit (no more than 2 pieces a day), veges, boiled eggs etc. You can have greek yogurt. Last night I whizzed up frozen mango pulp and 100gms greek yogurt to make 'ice cream'. Also one frozen banana, tblspoon of peanut butter and cinnamon whizzed up makes good 'ice cream'.

No processed foods other than above. Make your own sauces, chutneys etc.

I feel a-mah-zing!

ETA: Having a thermomix has saved me so much hassle with clean eat. It's very easy to make things you would usually buy.

I thought that I was eating fairly low processed but when I got on this plan I realised how much I was actually eating.

ETA 2: I've lost 3 kgs in three weeks but am also exercising once a day (run 5kms, walk 10kms, swim 1.5kms, reformer pilates, pump class).

Edited by *cough*, 01 February 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#12 CallMeProtart

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (MarsBarSlice @ 01/02/2013, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great topic thank you.  Will definately look into this.  We don't eat a lot of processed sauces so we could maybe start there and build it up.  Not sure how I would cut out chocolate though, any suggestions for a substitute?

Look for a dark chocolate that lists cocoa before sugar in the ingredients. As you cut down, you'll find a lot of sweet things taste too sweet anyway, so you'll eat much less chocolate each time. You can check out the stevia sweetened ones in case you like them - for me I can't stand the taste.
I've actually substituted a lot of my sweet snacks for cheese ones actually - have started buying DD's cheese sticks for myself!

Yes as a PP mentioned, breakfast is one to be careful of - most cereals are sugar laden.

#13 KBM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Great replies girls, thanks so much.

I have actually been freezing the tomatoes as they start to go soft at my local farmers market are selling them for $1.29 per kg so cant pass that up!  So Ill be using them for pasta sauces for a while.

Salad dressing - thats one I never thought of, and mayo, I buy the low fat one thinking its better for me not realising the sugar content.

Thanks, keep em coming!

#14 bluedragon

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

You'll also find your weetbix already have sugar in them, try VitaBrits instead.

#15 librablonde

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

As PP's have said, eliminating processed foods is a major step forward in reducing sugar intake.
I'm currently not having any processed foods at all (I'm juice fasting) and I can honestly say that I now no longer have any sugar cravings at all. I do have sugar in the form of fruits and veggies but other than that, I'm not having any sugar and it's showed me that, for me, consuming sugar creates a desire for more sugar. Having little/no sugar eradicates the desire for any.

I feel so much less tired now. I have realised that processed foods and refined sugar exhausts me. I used to collapse into bed each night at 8pm, now I'm getting so much done around the house and feel so energised. When I gave up refined sugar 3 weeks ago I had massive headaches for the first 2-3 days and then the fog lifted and I felt unusually clear-headed. I'm now really keen to revamp my family's food choices now and find healthier options.

I think that unless you're willing to go the full hog and eliminate all processed carbs (pasta/rice/breads) and refined sugars that the easiest thing to do would be just replace processed foods with homemade alternatives. That'll cut out a heap of sugar and then after a while you can reassess and see if you're interested in going further with it. Take small steps and you'll get there, OP.

Edited by librablonde, 01 February 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#16 boatiebabe

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

As other posters have said - you have to go back to basics.

I pretty much make everything from scratch, which is easy now but I admit did take a bit of getting used to at the starts.

Quitting sugar does make you feel great!

#17 hkclaire

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I did it about 6 months ago. I didn't eat very much processed food before hand, so it wasn't too hard. The key for me was to have lots of yummy savoury snacks around for the first week or so, so that I didn't feel like I was depriving myself of all treats.

I'm back on my first week of quitting again after a crazy Christmas period. I didn't go too badly, but got back into the swing of having sugar more regularly than I really want.

I found it really amazing how your can control your sugar binges. I got to the stage where a bite or two of cake was more than enough and I had no issue saying no to sweet things. The other thing I noticed was the hidden sugar in things that you wouldn't think. Grain wave chips & some of the wraps/tortillas (especially the "lite" ones and "heart healthy" ones) are all quite sweet. Even Sanitarium peanut butter which used to taste reasonably normal to me, now just tastes sugary.

Good luck!

#18 KBM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Oh no, peanut butter too!

#19 CallMeProtart

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (KarenBubMachine @ 01/02/2013, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh no, peanut butter too!

I think I did manage to find one with low or no added sugar - you just have to look hard!

#20 JoMarch

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (CallMeProtart @ 01/02/2013, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I did manage to find one with low or no added sugar - you just have to look hard!

"Macro" brand organic peanut butter has NOTHING added to it, purely peanuts original.gif
Got it from woolworths, but don't think all stores stock it.  Takes a bit of getting used to, but I like it.

Alternatively, you can make your own.

Edited by JoMarch, 01 February 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#21 CoFFeELoVe

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I am currently doing the 21 day sugar detox program. So far so good, the headaches and general yuck feeling have passed and i'm actually enjoying being sugar free original.gif

I intend on following the paleo lifestyle once i finish this detox.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.