improving egg quality

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Boo_Girl

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi to everyone TTC via IVF. I'm looking for some info from anyone who has tried/is trying to improve egg quality. Hearing the news 'you have poor quality eggs' is never a good thing to hear, but there are ways to improve their quality. They will never be as good as they were when I was 27, but apparently there are ways some FS are saying can help improve their quality. Eg I've been taking DHEA for a couple of months, and there are nutritional ways (eg fertility super foods) that i've yet to explore.

So...Just wondering if there's anyone else in my boat, have you tried any methods to improve your egg quality?
Thanks!

#2 EloiseIVF

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

75mg DHEA
3mg Melatonin
4g Inositol
150 CoQ10

Will get some idea next week as to whether four months of the above have improved quality...

#3 Gordo's Girl

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Eloise - so glad you put that up, as I was just about to message you to find out what you are doing, as I am really keen to give DHEA a go for cycle #9 for me.

Did you get your FS, or a GP to prescribe the DHEA and Melatonin?  What about the Inositol - are you getting that from a Health shop?

I have my fingers crossed for your results next week - hope you've got lots of little eggs in there this time.

#4 Lindyloo28

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi OP,

I was on Usana multivitamins, herbs from Sharkys Healing centre and I did some research on fresh Royal Jelly. I took all this for 4 months before our first cycle. I really believe the Royal Jelly helped, you have to careful taking it if your allergic to bees though.

#5 EloiseIVF

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi G Girl,

My FS prescribed the DHEA and Melatonin. I have no ill effects except for a bit of an oily face, but good old teenagers pimple face wash each morning keeps it under control. I get the Inositol made into capsules at a compounding pharmacy, but you can get powder and put it in a drink if you prefer. No prescription needed for that. I can pass on the pharmacy details if you are in Melbourne.

Ellie

#6 indigo~

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Another vote for DHEA and CoQ10.

I also used Saizen (human growth hormone injections) with most of my cycles.

#7 password123

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

My FS said l-arginine won't hurt either - increases Ovarian and uterine perfusion.

#8 Boo_Girl

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

Thanks very much ladies, I think I will try some of these suggestions. For those using several suppliments together, did you see a naturopath for these or was your FS open to it? EG Indigo and Elouise - did your FS suggest taking the CoQ10 with the DHEA?. I dont think my fertility doc would be amenable to discussing these, and I wouldn't want to take several combinations of suppliments without some expert guidance. I've also heard that maca is supposed to be good generally for fertility. Thanks again! PS I'm in Canberra...

#9 Gordo's Girl

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I did buy some l-arginine, but I just couldn't stomach the taste of it ... was revolting!!

#10 clrw

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

I'm thinking Co10 made the difference in my two Down Reg cycles. First cycle I was taking Elevit (which contains Co10) and one tablet of Co10 for three months beforehand. I got 13 eggs but only 6 fertilized and I had a Blast transferred and three for the freezer.

After my BFN on a FET I upped the Co10 to two tablets a day. This Down Reg cycle I got 14 eggs. Today I had one blast transferred. They have frozen seven and are watching more which might be frozen tomorrow.

#11 password123

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Gordo's Girl @ 04/02/2013, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did buy some l-arginine, but I just couldn't stomach the taste of it ... was revolting!!

Lol. I take it in capsules for that reason!
The smell and taste is very reminiscent of something... ninja.gif

sick.gif

#12 indigo~

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

OP, sorry for the delay in responding. I took CoQ10 off my own bat based on experiences of others here on EB and Dr Google.

I did discuss it with my FS first to get her blessing. She was happy for me to take it. She didn't necessarily think it would help, though. There's no research supporting it's use, at any rate.

DHEA and Saizen were her recommendations.

#13 mez70

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Warning Pregnancy mentioned
Hi there,
I am mot sure about the supplements etc but I do remember that with my last Down Reg cycle I was actually on an addition medication (injection) called Luveris..... My FS suggested it as I had a long history of producing lots of Eggs but poor fertilisation rates.... Due to my "advanced maternal age" lol nice way of saying 37 going on 38 is old we thought it was worth giving it a shot.. At the time it was bloody expensive (about $70-$80.00 per shot and I needed 9) but it was money well spent as that cycle we had our BEST ever fertilisation results. Over the preceeding years we had done 12 Stim cycles and only ever has enough frozen for 1 cycle. The cycle I took the luveris out of 6 eggs collected. 5 fertilised, 1 transferred and the other 4 all were successfully frozen. That cycle was a BFN but we were lucky on a subsequent frozen cycle..... Good luck

#14 hillplain

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hi Boo Girl,

I thought that I would drop in for you and anyone else who finds this. I have crappy eggs and am a poor responder to boot. My first 2 cycles I had 3 eggs, 2 fert and 1 transferred - both ended in MMC. Nearly all had fragmentation although my first cycle less than the second.
My next cycle I did DHEA and Melatonin for 2 months prior to EPU and we cycled with Menopur which is also supposed to help with egg quality. This cycle was 6 eggs, 5 fert and 1 dropped off every day and I ended up a day 3 transfer like with my other cycles with 2 fragmented embies. This has been a BFP positive so far but have bleed from 4 weeks to nearly 6. Waiting to hear further results at the moment.

I have been to see a chinease herbalist and acupuncture. She has suggested that if this cycle doesn't end well that we spend the next 4 months balancing my body up due to what it has been through in the last 8 months. You start releasing eggs 3 months prior to your actual ovulation so if we work on a healthy body etc for 3 months prior to the cycle then hopefully there will be much better quality when we do cycle. I am not sure if this will work or not but I think it is worth a try if nothing else. I don't have much of a choice otherwise. Maybe the stress of MC and leading up to first cycle was not helping me?
I am sorry that I can't give you anything other than that.

Good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.