Finance expert advice required

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jersey3681

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Currently we have a credit card with $7000 amount limit and we owe the maximum amount on it. The interest rate is 15.99%. We also have a secured personal loan for a car where we owe $18,000 amount on it. The interest on this one is 7.99%. We applied and have been approved for a line of credit of $25,000 with interest rate of 6.9%. We need to finish up our house (probably we need around $5000 for that) so we can put it for sale and then pay off the credit. What is best to do?
1. Pay off credit card, pay off car, try and save $5000 (which will take us a few good months)
2. Pay off credit card, pay half the car and keep the rest for renovations
3. Pay off the credit card, finish first the renovations and then put the rest for the car
4. Neither - you should't have taken another line of credit

Edited by jersey3681, 01 February 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#2 Peppery

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Based on the info you have provided, i would select option 3.

#3 MrsFeral247

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Definitely A.

You need to clear your debt, not add more. You should be saving a bit in interest so that can go towards your saving to do up the house for sale.

Then do up a strict but manageable budget and stick to it, otherwise you'll be stuck in a debt trap and will have to keep borrowing money to get anywhere.

#4 lafonda

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

I am no expert, but I would pay off the credit card and pay $13000 on the car and use the remaining 5k for the house so you can sell.

#5 missy78

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Firstly ensure you have an adequate emergency fund - even just start with $1000. This will ensure that once you start paying off your debts, if you have an expensive emergency you don't just go back to where you started.

Then attack the debts in order of highest interest - so credit card first. Would you end up with a profit from selling your house? If so, then I would prioritise the renos - otherwise leave them until you have the money for them (ie not going into debt for them). That's just me though - we are pretty risk averse in our house.

A disclaimer - not an expert, but I have been in a similar position

#6 laridae

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Pay off the credit card - it has the highest interest rate and you want it gone asap.
Pay off some of the car - the interest rate is a little higher than the LOC, so you will get some benefit.
Use the rest of the LOC for renovations, and then sell & pay it off, & the car loan.

So, basically, option 2.

Option 1  - I wouldn't do as you will need to wait & save some more money, delaying the renovations and selling - meaning that you will be paying off the LOC for longer.
Option 3 - I wouldn't do as its better to knock some off your car loan - so you don't pay as much interest (as its a higher rate), but make sure you do leave enough for the renos.
Option 4 - well, what you did is fine, you are getting rid of higher interest rates and replacing them with lower ones.  Its pretty sensible really.

#7 Feral Lemur

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

What is your end goal?  That would impact your decisions. What is the plan after your house is sold?

#8 CallMeFeral

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

A.
Those interest rates are debilitating and will set back any attempts to save. There is no guarantee your house will sell fast, and meantime you'll be racking up compounding interest bills.

#9 (feral)epg

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Technically move the high interest debts (car and credit card) to low interest debt (line of credit).  Chop up credit card.  Continue paying same (or more) payments on loans.  If you're disciplined with money do the renos before paying off the line of credit, if you have a history of sliding into debt then pay off everything and save the money for renos and get rid of the credit facility.

#10 JECJEC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

How long is the car loan for and how do you expect interest rates to move in that period?

Generally pay high rate debt before low rate debt but you may find that in 3 years that the car loan was a lower rate then the prevailing variable rate and you now are paying a higher rate on the debt. Also investigate what if any termination/prepayment fees are on the car loan.

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Pay out debt and then save the money.

#12 KT1978

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

I'd pay off the credit card because the interest is very high.  Then cut it up. Remember you haven't "paid off debt", you have just moved it around to get a better interest rate - the debt is still there!

Rather than pay for the car and leave yourself with no cash for renovations, I would be sitting down and making a renovation and sell plan immediately.  Unless you think you can stay where you are, you need to get selling ASAP.  Paying off the car, then spending months longer paying interest on the mortgage, is not necessarily a good move.

Do you have to renovate?  Could you just spend a few weeks doing minor repairs/repainting and things that cost less than $2000 then sell for a slightly lower price?  Then not use the line of credit, apart from paying off the credit card?  

Once you sell can you use that money to pay off the mortgage and the car loan and be debt free?  Is rent going to be more than your mortgage?  I can't advise too much without knowing your end plan.

#13 jersey3681

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thank you all. My end goal is to pay off my debts and start again from zero. The plan is to sell the house (we will have a profit), pay off our debts, move in with my in laws and then save save save until we have a decent deposit to buy a new place on a small mortgage. There were some good points made:

1. The car loan interest is variable so it can actually go lower than 6.9% in time
2. The house might not sell quick...

At the moment what we earn goes for bills, mortgage so we have nothing left to be able to save. If we move the credit card the $100 paid there monthly to cover the interest will have to go into the LOC so we can pay principal and interest and reduce slowly that debt. The car will probably not make a huge difference as it's only 1% difference. The car loan is for another 3.5 yrs.

#14 jersey3681

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (KT1978 @ 01/02/2013, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd pay off the credit card because the interest is very high.  Then cut it up. Remember you haven't "paid off debt", you have just moved it around to get a better interest rate - the debt is still there!

Rather than pay for the car and leave yourself with no cash for renovations, I would be sitting down and making a renovation and sell plan immediately.  Unless you think you can stay where you are, you need to get selling ASAP.  Paying off the car, then spending months longer paying interest on the mortgage, is not necessarily a good move.

Do you have to renovate?  Could you just spend a few weeks doing minor repairs/repainting and things that cost less than $2000 then sell for a slightly lower price?  Then not use the line of credit, apart from paying off the credit card?  

Once you sell can you use that money to pay off the mortgage and the car loan and be debt free?  Is rent going to be more than your mortgage?  I can't advise too much without knowing your end plan.

We have to finish off the house as we don't have yet the occupancy certificate. In order to get that we need to put concrete around the house, pest control and some plumbing work. In order to sell we need wardrobe doors, buy the range hood and put the skirting boards. We will not have rent, we will just pay some money for the house expenses in order to help us save...

#15 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I think the best option is to pay the CC (and chop it), do up a strict but realistic budget for completing the house, and pay the balance on the car loan.

Just throwing this out there, but are you really better off losing your house and starting again from scratch?  Could you ever re-save the deposit/stamp duty/legals?  Just wondering if you have done the maths on renting out the house and using the time with the ILs to pay off the line of credit and the balance of the mortgage payments.

#16 cira

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'd suggest finding a financial advisor to review all your finances with you to make sure you are on track for any future plans. I guess I wonder why you have an unfinished house, an unpaid car, a high credit card debt and no savings? (Its none of my business and I'm not asking you to answer this, I just wonder if you might need some help sorting out your money management.)

#17 jersey3681

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (cira @ 01/02/2013, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd suggest finding a financial advisor to review all your finances with you to make sure you are on track for any future plans. I guess I wonder why you have an unfinished house, an unpaid car, a high credit card debt and no savings? (Its none of my business and I'm not asking you to answer this, I just wonder if you might need some help sorting out your money management.)

We had family problems, had two kids and did not work, and had my parents that we had to help and did not get any money back... We want to sell the house as where we live the lifestyle is very expensive so we are planning on moving cities as well.

#18 MrsLexiK

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (jersey3681 @ 01/02/2013, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have to finish off the house as we don't have yet the occupancy certificate. In order to get that we need to put concrete around the house, pest control and some plumbing work. In order to sell we need wardrobe doors, buy the range hood and put the skirting boards. We will not have rent, we will just pay some money for the house expenses in order to help us save...

Ok that changes my answer a bit, pay out the CC and don't put anything else on it.  I would then use the funds to ensure you get the occupancy cert and do the renos.  I probably wouldn't bother paying out the carloan until the house sells as you may find the savings you make over the next few months are eaten up if you have early pay out fees etc.  So effectively only using $12K of the line of credit.  

It seems OP you have realised that you are in a tight spot and are making changes for it.  Just put any profit you have after you have paid the car out into an account you cannot just touch.  It might even be good to put the profit into a term deposit then put your savings (which should be the amount you were paying on your mortgage) into say an ING direct (which takes 24 - 48 hours to move over) or into an account you need both signitures to withdraw the money.

#19 Jessie_T

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (jersey3681 @ 01/02/2013, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Currently we have a credit card with $7000 amount limit and we owe the maximum amount on it. The interest rate is 15.99%. We also have a secured personal loan for a car where we owe $18,000 amount on it. The interest on this one is 7.99%. We applied and have been approved for a line of credit of $25,000 with interest rate of 6.9%. We need to finish up our house (probably we need around $5000 for that) so we can put it for sale and then pay off the credit. What is best to do?
1. Pay off credit card, pay off car, try and save $5000 (which will take us a few good months)
2. Pay off credit card, pay half the car and keep the rest for renovations
3. Pay off the credit card, finish first the renovations and then put the rest for the car
4. Neither - you should't have taken another line of credit

Why don't you do a balance transfer? The interest rate is as little as 0.99% that's what we did:)

#20 jersey3681

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Whats a balance transfer OP?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

6 things I didn't expect as a parent

From weird smells to dangerous opinions, painful body parts to numbness, here are a few things new mums and dads can expect.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.