Top Qld Baby Names
Aren't really that popular

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Sassy Dingo

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

I know a lot of people say that while they like Jack (for eg) they would never name their child that as it is too popular - I've certainly done it. I'm 39 weeks today and when discussing names with DH I vetoed some due to popularity. I didn't actually realise though, that while Jack might be the most popular boys name in Qld, 289 babies for a whole state really isn't that much.

Kind of wish now I hadn't seen this as it has me reevaluating the names we have picked out!

Has seeing the actual number of popular names made anyone else reconsider naming their child a popular name?

Top 10 most popular baby names in Queensland in 2012:

Boys:

Jack (289 babies)
    Cooper (281 babies)
    William (258 babies)
    Noah (240 babies)
    Oliver (227 babies)
    Ethan (212 babies)
    Lachlan (207 babies)
    Thomas (200 babies)
    Liam (187 babies)
    James (171 babies)

Girls:

Ruby (254 babies)
    Charlotte (249 babies)
    Sophie (241 babies)
    Chloe (224 babies)
    Isabella (205 babies)
    Amelia (200 babies)
    Mia (197 babies)
    Emily (193 babies)
    Ava (191 babies)
    Olivia (189 babies)

Source:

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/pregnancy/...0107-2cby3.html

#2 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

I wouldn't not name a child a name I liked due to popularity, however if there were 2 names I was deciding between, I'd go for the less popular name.

#3 la di dah

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

It doesn't make any difference at all for boys as none of those names are possibilities for us. Well I guess it makes some in that if they weren't all popular some of the ones I like wouldn't be taken by close family/friends.

For girls, I only really like Emily. Ruby is interesting because I want to use an R name, but it wouldn't sound great with our surname even if it were exquisitely uncommon.

I guess it does make some difference to me as I'm happy to see some of my mainstream faves aren't top ten. But I also tend to mentally average Aussie top tens against US top tens to come up with some sort of stupid scoring system of my own invention.  

The other thing for me is who I know. A top ten name isn't a dealbreaker but, unmysteriously, many of the top ten ones are taken up by family/close friends as that's just the odds.

#4 skylark

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Most of those have been very popular for years, so you will find there are more of them than you expect around, just not all born the same year.

#5 Gudrun

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'm way beyond the naming phase but I have noticed the same thing. If I perceived a name as popular it would be struck off.   However it does seem true that people are accessing a much greater pool of names than in the days of yore and that the likelihood of 4-6 whatevers in the same class is not what it was.

#6 TwoBubbas

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

When naming my almost 2.5yr old DD we didn't name her Sophie, which we really liked, because at that time it was very popular.  Instead, we named her Ruby! At that time, Ruby was just becoming popular which we didn't really realise.  I'm not bothered that she has a popular name, even though she is one of three Ruby's in her class at Kindy.

#7 Feraldadathome

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Outside the top 20 for the previous 5 years was a criterion for both our boys' names -  a year earlier or a year later and DS9's name would have been rejected on this ground.

#8 becstar101

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

I read a little while ago that especially for boys' names there is a greater spread of numbers. Because of the greater variety of names that people come up with, the top names are no longer so dominant.

For example, the year I was born Matthew was the most popular name in Victoria, with 1025 babies given that name. The year my son was born, his name William was the most popular, but only 623 babies were given that name. I know the number of babies born is unlikely to be the same, but I don't think it's too far off.

Despite 623 Williams his age wandering the state, we actually meet very few, I think due to it not being a popular name in our area. I know a lot more Finns Maxes and Henrys than I do Williams!

#9 Kremeferal

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Generally I agree with you, when you consider a few hundred kids across a whole state then it's not that many.
However you can find clusters of names within an area, so a name feels more popular than it actually is.
And I do think that Jack is really in a class of its own in popularity. I must know 15-20 Jacks between 3 and 10 years old.

#10 la di dah

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Wouldn't you have to add all the Jacks, Jacksons, Johns, and half the Jacobs in the state together to get the working number of kids answering to "Jack" on the playground? That'd throw the stats out a bit, I'd think.

#11 Z-girls rock

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 01/02/2013, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wouldn't you have to add all the Jacks, Jacksons, Johns, and half the Jacobs in the state together to get the working number of kids answering to "Jack" on the playground? That'd throw the stats out a bit, I'd think.

yep. I think they dont count the name if it is spelt slightly differently.

On that note I am surrounded by people called Chris. the name Chris has probably never topped the top 100 baby name list but when you add up all the people called:
Christopher
Kristoffer
Christine
Christina
Christian
Kristian
Kristy
Christoff

then.. it all adds up. Adds up to me be totally over it (any name beginging with Chris/Kris) LOL

#12 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Our son has a top ten name. Seems to be top ten in most states.

To us, it was the most unusual name DH was going to allow. I have never met another person with this name and hadn't met any before DS was born so to us it wasn't popular at all.

#13 WithSprinkles

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Yep, and that is similar to names like Aidan which people use multiple spellings (Aiden, Aidan, Ayden, Aydan)...

It would be good if we could get stats for particular towns/suburbs, that would be interesting!

#14 Z-girls rock

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

yeah.

In fact I am surprised that Muhammad is not on any top 10 lists. It is the most popular name in the world.

But I read that when they compiled the world list they decided to add up all the various spellings; which could be Muhammad; Mohamed, Mohammed, Mohamad, Muhammad, Muhammed, Muhamed,Muhammed, Muhamed, Muhammet, or Muhamet  (there is probably more...)

but I think here in Australia they dont do that. They treat every spelling variance as a different name. Which is a bit silly really

It is like saying Isobel is super popular, but Isabel? meh, not so much.
it is really not going to matter to all the little Isabels out there at school when they are known as Isabel B, or Isobel D etc

#15 la di dah

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Haha Z-girls, that reminds me, I found a list of the top ten names in America of each initial (so top ten A names, top ten B names, etc.) and was dorkily amusing myself guessing what name would top out each letter.

Got to Y and said to myself "it must be Yosef."

Nope. It was second place, and Yusuf and Yousef were each counted seperately and each made the top ten in their own right. (Y being the under-loved letter it is)

#16 CleverChook

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Yes, it's definitely not as much of an issue as when I was growing up.  There's a lot more names in common usage.  But I still think you have to account for different spellings,  as pps have said and also trends in sounds and so forth that make a name sound very '2013'.

So I still probably wouldn't go top ten, but it makes top 20 or 30 seem not so bad.  My Elizabeth is around top 30 in Qld (lower in other states), and we rarely come across another one.

Oh, and edited to add a popular but great name is so much better than a bad name.  A good yet not overly popular name beats them both.

Edited by CleverChook, 01 February 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#17 Feral_Pooks

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 01/02/2013, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with PPs, for me it was also
-what has been common for a long time
-what is common in my area
-what is common in my circle
-what other similar names are also common.

Isabella might only be 205, but what about Isabel, Isobel, Isobelle, Isabelle, Isobella, Arabella, Annabel, Bella, Ella, Ellie, Ellena, Eleanor... If you look through the top 100 you find many... Think of all the Elle and Bell names... it's like the Jayden, Hayden, Braydon thing.

That's what I would be considering moreso. Really rhyming names, or names where the nicknames will all be the same or similar.

Names like Noah, Ethan, Cooper and William stand alone more from other popular names. Even Ruby and Charlotte.

But you have a point, OP.

I also think that overall, the most popular names are simply really lovely names!

#18 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Z-girls rock @ 01/02/2013, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they dont count the name if it is spelt slightly differently.

Which is so silly and I almost fell into the trap recently!

DH and I are having so much trouble with names and then realised that Madison met all our criteria - yay finally! BUT when you add up the number of Madisons with number of Maddisons, it pretty much turns it into a top 10 name sad.gif

Same with Lily and Lilly. I really wish they would add the various spellings together into one total, particularly when there are 3 -5 popular spellings (eg isobel).

Good point OP about the number of babies actually born though. Being the number 1 name now really isnt the same as being the number 1 name when I was born (which my name was and it drove me mad!).

Edited by JBaby, 12 March 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#19 Bam1

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Jack has also been in the top 3 for the last 15 years  and in the top 10 for probably longer so that probably contributes to everyone a knowing at least one child called Jack.

Does anybody know when Jack first started to become popular, not just as a NN for John? 1995 it was #7 (with a bullet) in Australia

#20 Gudrun

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

The first new and only Jack's appeared around 40 years ago in my experience.

#21 Fox's Sox

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'm definately turned off names if they are too popular.  While I love Cooper & Oliver, they are just too common now.  

I grew up with a popular 80s era name and therefore had several other classmates with the same name.  Alway found it very frustrating that my name was not my own and I always had to be identified with my surname initial added to my first name.

#22 whimbrel

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

My sisters name, Hannah, was really popular when she was born. My parents had never met anyone with her name, but in her kindergarten there were 6 of them. I don't think she has ever been in a class at school without at least one other Hannah, and usually two or three, and we have moved cities a few times. So she learnt to write her name as Hannah.R and even when writing to family or close friends that's still what she puts original.gif

#23 vanessa71

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Back when my dad was born, in the 40s, the most popular boys name was John. There were over 3000 born in NSW alone each year of that decade. There were 1586 in Victoria in the actual year my dad was born, so as you can see it was a popular name.

Now, even the most popular names are never as 'popular' as names have been in the past. Popularity does put me off, but if there wasn't a name I could find that I loved as much, I would still use the name despite the popularity as it's not a guarantee the child will be in class with three other kids of the same name.

We don't know any Jacks locally, but DD has two Dantes in her class this year. wink.gif

#24 liveworkplay

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Generally I agree with you, when you consider a few hundred kids across a whole state then it's not that many.

QUOTE (skylark @ 01/02/2013, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most of those have been very popular for years, so you will find there are more of them than you expect around, just not all born the same year.

I agree. Jack has been number one or two for AT LEAST 9 years nationally. So if, just in QLD you have 200 Jacks a year for the past 5, that's 1000 pre school Jacks running around.

I think once you get out of the top 20 or so, the chances of having friends/class mates with the same name is pretty slim. DD1's name was not even in the top 100 in Victoria the year she was born. A couple of years later it slowly crept on and has been slowly rising in popularity for the last 5 or so years. I have so far met 3 other younger girls with her name. My name was not anywhere near popular the year I was born. It then became one of the most popular girls names in the 70's.

SO while popularity, for me, is a factor, it is also very unpredictable.

#25 Bel Rowley

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

It's funny how even though there aren't "that many" of any one name, double ups still seem to appear in every class or group, in the city at least. They are just not always easy to predict. This year DD has two Charlies in her class, last year it was two Lukes, and there are two Abigails and an Abbey.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.