Experienced Holden Captiva Owners
Would you buy a 2007 LX model?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Marley&Me

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

We've been looking at buying a brand new Captiva SX. They are around $30 000 at the moment. Finances are tight and I came across a second hand 2007 LX model today for $13990 (car yard). I thought maybe we could start with something like this and in a few years upgrade to a new one when DH's finished studying as we need 7 seats in the next few months.

I've heard bad things about the older model Captiva's. Has anyone had experience with a model similar age or any thoughts?

Would you do it?

TIA

Edited by Marley&Me, 01 February 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#2 Bear Grylls

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

We have a 2009 series 1 Captiva.  The car is good to drive, comfortable for long trips, has an ok amount of boot space and is reasonably fuel efficient, BUT we have had no end of trouble with it mechanically.
We bought t a five year extended warranty  and it has already paid for itself at least  ten times over. So far we have had the following work done:  
Radio replaced
Navigation system replaced
On-board computer system rebuilt twice
One rear wheel speed sensor rebuilt and another replaced
New engine
Rear door lifters replaced
Rear wheel alignment pins put in, but the rear wheels won't align properly so we have had three sets of tyres in 3.5 years

Our car is a city and bitumen road car. It never gets driven off road.

There have been other more minor issues that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Our car is probably just an unfortunate dud, but it has really turned me off Holdens in general. I don't think I'd ever buy another one (Captivas in particular) which is unfortunate because I have owned three others and they were great.

ETA: If you do decide to buy it, make sure you have the rear wheel alignment pins fitted. It is impossible to align the wheels correctly without them, but Holden won't tell you that. They cost approx $150. Unfortunately, they haven't worked for us, but they have significantly slowed the wear on the tyres. We are currently having the problem investigated...again!

Edited by Bear Grylls, 01 February 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#3 Mummy fab

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

We have a 2007 lx and love it, we have the 7 seater. We have had no issues except for replacing an air con part was quite costly all up about $700 with re-gas but no other issues.

Ours had t do e alot of kms and we paid $21,000 about 12 months ago. So $14,000 is a bloody bargain!

#4 dynamitee

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

wow Bear Grylls, I'd be crying.  I've got a 2006 Kluger which hasn't been serviced for about a year and a half (will get round to it soon) and in the three years we've had it, not one problem.

#5 Gumbette

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Bear Grylls - It might be easier for you to list what hasn't gone wrong with it - a new engine after 3.5 years????? huh.gif I think I would cry, you have the patience of Job.

#6 JKTMum

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

We have a 2007 LX Diesel, seven seater, bought 2nd hand about 2 - 3 years ago now. Honestly I would never go for another one, we have had several very expensive repairs and for awhile it was off the road several times for up to a week at a time. After we bought it we heard the term Craptiva for the first time (we should have done a little more research, but DH had recently had an accident in our Subaru (which was an awesome car eventhough it was 12 years old) and had written it off, so we needed something to replace it which we could afford).

Scariest thing we had was that it would just cut out and then refuse to restart for up to 30 minutes. Three times it did this while we were driving along, once I was going around a fairly quiet round-a-bout in a suburban street near our house, the other two times we were travelling at about 80kms down two lane country roads. Fortunately it never happened on a multi lane freeway as when it did happen it just totally cut out, no power steering, nothing. We were able to roll it to a stop on the edge each time, and nothing was travelling too close behind as we would have been rear ended. After much stuffing around through the Holden dealership (it was previously a Holden fleet car) I found some other reports on the internet of similar issues which suggested the fuel pump. This particular car has two fuel pumps so they replaced one and fortunately it was the right one (they werent 100% certain which one was causing the issue eventhough we had it towed there when it happened the first time). We have also had lots of trouble with the electrics, the back wiper is tempremental and sometimes doesnt work, the globes in the brake and tail lights blow very regularly. Very few things have been covered under the extended warranty and the servicing costs are huge. We called out RACV more times in the first year we had it than we had for any of our previous cars put together (and got towed more than once). Oh and yes the wheel alignment problem is well known with Captivas, ours even went out between being serviced once and three weeks later the car breaking down (they checked it again when they were doing the once over and it was out again).

We plan on getting rid of it in the coming year once the extended warranty is up, we are going for a Kluger next time.

#7 Bear Grylls

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Snap JKTmum we are thinking of getting a Kluger too! We have also had trouble the diesel fuel filter and tail lights-I'd forgotten those.

We also have weird things happen such as when you switch from one screen to another on the on-board computer, the radio cuts out and the volume on the navigation system regularly reverses itself ie when you turn it up, it goes down!

We were on holiday when the engine died. Luckily we have awesome friends who carted us around and awesome car insurance that sorted EVERYTHING out including towing, hire car, extra accommodation etc. all for free!

We have had our wheels aligned about six times since July! It would almost be cheaper to put new tyres on every year.

Stupid Craptiva!

Edited by Bear Grylls, 01 February 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#8 Ice Queen

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

They are nicknamed Craptivas for a reason.

#9 Marley&Me

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Thanks everyone so much for taking the time to reply original.gif

QUOTE (Bear Grylls @ 01/02/2013, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have a 2009 series 1 Captiva.  The car is good to drive, comfortable for long trips, has an ok amount of boot space and is reasonably fuel efficient, BUT we have had no end of trouble with it mechanically.
We bought t a five year extended warranty  and it has already paid for itself at least  ten times over.

Thanks so much for your post and taking the time to reply! I had heard the first series had a lot of issues and after reading reviews today, you're definitely not alone.

I have been on the phone regarding a brand new one today but am now hesitant. Would LOVE a Kluger but unfortunately it's out of our price range and I've heard expensive to run.....  It's such a big decision!

QUOTE (Mummy fab @ 01/02/2013, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have a 2007 lx and love it, we have the 7 seater. We have had no issues except for replacing an air con part was quite costly all up about $700 with re-gas but no other issues.

Ours had t do e alot of kms and we paid $21,000 about 12 months ago. So $14,000 is a bloody bargain!

This one has apparently done 80,000km so not sure how good that is for the year?!

You sound like you've been very lucky with yours which is great! Thanks for the positive feedback although I've decided to rethink and look at buying new. Unfortunately we would only be looking at the SX - the idea of an LX would be lovely!

QUOTE (Ehill @ 01/02/2013, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are nicknamed Craptivas for a reason.

Lol! I have heard that term before which is definitely off putting in general, new or used!

I guess it seems like the luck of the draw....

#10 Marley&Me

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (JKTMum @ 01/02/2013, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it would just cut out and then refuse to restart for up to 30 minutes. Three times it did this while we were driving along, once I was going around a fairly quiet round-a-bout in a suburban street near our house, the other two times we were travelling at about 80kms down two lane country roads. Fortunately it never happened on a multi lane freeway as when it did happen it just totally cut out, no power steering, nothing. We were able to roll it to a stop on the edge each time, and nothing was travelling too close behind as we would have been rear ended. After much stuffing around through the Holden dealership (it was previously a Holden fleet car) I found some other reports on the internet of similar issues which suggested the fuel pump. This particular car has two fuel pumps so they replaced one and fortunately it was the right one (they werent 100% certain which one was causing the issue eventhough we had it towed there when it happened the first time). We have also had lots of trouble with the electrics, the back wiper is tempremental and sometimes doesnt work, the globes in the brake and tail lights blow very regularly. Very few things have been covered under the extended warranty and the servicing costs are huge. We called out RACV more times in the first year we had it than we had for any of our previous cars put together (and got towed more than once). Oh and yes the wheel alignment problem is well known with Captivas, ours even went out between being serviced once and three weeks later the car breaking down (they checked it again when they were doing the once over and it was out again).

We plan on getting rid of it in the coming year once the extended warranty is up, we are going for a Kluger next time.

Thank you for your post! How incredibly scary and dangerous! You're very lucky there were no major accidents involved...

#11 JKTMum

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

When I was doing the internet research I found a couple of reports of accidents where the car had done the exact same thing, one was on a multi lane freeway (think it was the Harbour Bridge) in Sydney and another car or truck travelling behind had slammed into the back of the Captiva which had just stalled suddenly while doing 100kms/hr. The driver behind had no warning and the Captiva driver could do nothing to get out of the way.

I actually refused to drive it once it did it the second time. Was too scary with my three kids in the car. DH took it out the 3rd time to do a run to the tip with the trailer (our other car didnt have a towbar) and that is when it happened the third time when he was on his way home. We returned it to the dealership and told them we werent taking it back until they had worked out the problem and fixed it. Took them over a week to finally admit that yes it might be the fuel pump (I had suggested that but they at first dismissed it).

#12 abismum

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I would steer clear of the captiva also.  We bought a 2008 CX diesel 7 seater brand new and when it was just under 3 years old with under 80 000km on the clock the engine died.  It was the rockers that failed and we had to have a full engine rebuild and they had it for 6 weeks.  It was under warranty but service was shocking and it was never fixed properly e.g. split hoses were reattached).  

There were many little problems - clock on the dash would dim when lights were on and other weird electrical issues, such as the indicators would sometimes be really loud and other days really quiet.  We also had many problems with the sensors - rear sensors played up to the point we had them disconnected.  The airbag sensors are under the passenger seat so if they were ever knocked the light would come on as a malfunction.   Holden told me I had to get my children to be more careful with where they put their feet!

I wanted to keep the car and kept hoping that it would be ok until a month ago when I had it serviced I was told I was up for a new diesel turbo pump and would be without the car for 1 - 2 weeks at a starting cost of $3500.  I was also told I was up for new shock absorbers for $1500ish.  I know shock absorbers go on cars, but the mechanics thought it was way too early and told me I would have to continue putting money into the car.  The next day I traded it for a brand new rav4 - so far so good.

Honestly the stress of worrying about what would go wrong on the car was not worth it.
Check the reviews - many people with the same issues as me, so I know I'm not the only one which is why I had to count my losses and get rid of it.  

Good luck on the car hunt!

#13 shelly1

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

I asked the same thing last week LOL

Most of the replies were that series 1 were petrol guzzlers - which is why there are so many with low kms cheap around.

We wanted a brand new diesel SX but none of the Holdens in Canberra had them nor would they order us one (they sold very quickly the first couple of days of the sale)

Captivas are actually just rebadged Daewoos so not technically a Holden

Have a look at the Dualis plus 2 - similar and the Nissan here was willing to do us a deal for $31,000 brand new

Now we have just given up for a while LOL - It is so bloody stressful finding a good car in our price range

#14 MARsmum

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

We were looking at buying a Captiva about 12 months ago as we needed a 7 seater on a low budget.  I had my heart set on one and then my husband did some research and we decided not to buy.  Apparently "craptiva" is a common term on the Internet!  

We ended up buying a 7 seater Outlander and absolutely love it!  For $30,000 we got a 2 year old top of line model with every extra imaginable (such as sunroof, seat warmers, DVD player, GPS, etc, etc) and it is great!

Good luck!

#15 blackbird

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I know they all flip over very easily, I have seen it with my own eyes  oomg.gif

#16 Marley&Me

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (JKTMum @ 01/02/2013, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was doing the internet research I found a couple of reports of accidents where the car had done the exact same thing, one was on a multi lane freeway (think it was the Harbour Bridge) in Sydney and another car or truck travelling behind had slammed into the back of the Captiva which had just stalled suddenly while doing 100kms/hr. The driver behind had no warning and the Captiva driver could do nothing to get out of the way.

For some reason, I think I have heard this before.... Im glad that your family are all ok. I too would have refused to drive it!

QUOTE (abismum @ 01/02/2013, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would steer clear of the captiva also.  We bought a 2008 CX diesel 7 seater brand new and when it was just under 3 years old with under 80 000km on the clock the engine died.  It was the rockers that failed and we had to have a full engine rebuild and they had it for 6 weeks.  It was under warranty but service was shocking and it was never fixed properly e.g. split hoses were reattached).  

The airbag sensors are under the passenger seat so if they were ever knocked the light would come on as a malfunction.   Holden told me I had to get my children to be more careful with where they put their feet!

I wanted to keep the car and kept hoping that it would be ok until a month ago when I had it serviced I was told I was up for a new diesel turbo pump and would be without the car for 1 - 2 weeks at a starting cost of $3500.  I was also told I was up for new shock absorbers for $1500ish.  I know shock absorbers go on cars, but the mechanics thought it was way too early and told me I would have to continue putting money into the car.  The next day I traded it for a brand new rav4 - so far so good.

Honestly the stress of worrying about what would go wrong on the car was not worth it.
Check the reviews - many people with the same issues as me, so I know I'm not the only one which is why I had to count my losses and get rid of it.  

Good luck on the car hunt!

Thank you & thanks for your response! What a joke about the airbags & your kids feet lol!

Glad your happy with your Rav! I'd love one but unfortunately need 7 seats with number 4 on the way original.gif

QUOTE (shelly1 @ 01/02/2013, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I asked the same thing last week LOL

Most of the replies were that series 1 were petrol guzzlers - which is why there are so many with low kms cheap around.

We wanted a brand new diesel SX but none of the Holdens in Canberra had them nor would they order us one (they sold very quickly the first couple of days of the sale)

Captivas are actually just rebadged Daewoos so not technically a Holden

Have a look at the Dualis plus 2 - similar and the Nissan here was willing to do us a deal for $31,000 brand new

Now we have just given up for a while LOL - It is so bloody stressful finding a good car in our price range

Thanks for your reply, I obviously missed your post lol - I'll have to go & look for it!

The Dualis+2 is the other car on our list and seems to have a lot more features than the Captiva for less. The only problem is our car yard keeps saying they are getting one in but it never makes it which is really frustrating, we've been waiting since before Christmas.

Our main concern is the size, in particular, the rear row. The Captiva rear seats are surprisingly roomy.... Did you test out the third row seats? We they only for children/short trips?

Good luck for your search, it's very difficult original.gif

#17 shelly1

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Our main concern is the size, in particular, the rear row. The Captiva rear seats are surprisingly roomy.... Did you test out the third row seats? We they only for children/short trips?

I will say the rear seats weren't as big as the Captiva but the car was better in general if that makes any sense.

At the moment I am trying to convince DH that I just want the Used Toyota Avensis I saw in the Ford Caryard. It has full sized seats in the back. It was a beautiful car but for some reason he wasnt sold.

Have you looked at the Kia Rondo - 7 seater, brand new for under $28,000 - they are made by Hyundai. We looked at the Sorrento but it is out of our price range.

Have you considered how you are going to work your car seat arrangement? Most non-van 7 seaters dont have anchor points for the rear seats which makes moving the first row of seats difficult if you have a car seat on it. The Ford Territory was the only car we found with anchor points for the rear seats. We only have 3 kids but the younger 2 are in car seats. When I brought it up with one car dealer he suggested my eldest DD climb thru the boot to get in her seat LOL

#18 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

We had one, not sure of the model.  And FIL has one too.
Known in this house as the "Craptiva".

Initially I liked it, then went on a long drive in the passenger seat and refused to sit in it again for any distance.  AThe headrest curves forward in relation to the back support and it can't be adjusted.  So my neck was uncomfortable and bent slightly forward.  I told my MIL about this and she agrees with me.  She won't get in FILs Captiva for the same reason.

It's the sort of thing you would miss on a test drive so make sure you check it out.

#19 Marley&Me

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (shelly1 @ 01/02/2013, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will say the rear seats weren't as big as the Captiva but the car was better in general if that makes any sense.

At the moment I am trying to convince DH that I just want the Used Toyota Avensis I saw in the Ford Caryard. It has full sized seats in the back. It was a beautiful car but for some reason he wasnt sold.

Have you looked at the Kia Rondo - 7 seater, brand new for under $28,000 - they are made by Hyundai. We looked at the Sorrento but it is out of our price range.

Have you considered how you are going to work your car seat arrangement? Most non-van 7 seaters dont have anchor points for the rear seats which makes moving the first row of seats difficult if you have a car seat on it. The Ford Territory was the only car we found with anchor points for the rear seats. We only have 3 kids but the younger 2 are in car seats. When I brought it up with one car dealer he suggested my eldest DD climb thru the boot to get in her seat LOL

Thanks again for your reply! The Dualis brochure looks fantastic, I love the skylight....

We have thought about the seating & yes, we would need our DS7 to go in and out through the back as we will have three in seats for a few more years. I'm sure it'll be frustrating but going into it, know that it'd be necessary.

Can I ask another question? What model were you quoted $31,000?

Haven't heard of the Rondo but will google as DH's work car is a Hyundai and it's been great original.gif Thanks for the info!

Good luck talking your DH into the Avensis wink.gif

QUOTE (Duffy29 @ 01/02/2013, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We had one, not sure of the model.  And FIL has one too.
Known in this house as the "Craptiva".

Initially I liked it, then went on a long drive in the passenger seat and refused to sit in it again for any distance.  AThe headrest curves forward in relation to the back support and it can't be adjusted.  So my neck was uncomfortable and bent slightly forward.  I told my MIL about this and she agrees with me.  She won't get in FILs Captiva for the same reason.

It's the sort of thing you would miss on a test drive so make sure you check it out.

Thanks for your reply! Funny you mention the headrests.... When we test drove, I noticed it too but had my hair in a bum so thought it was from that! I am very much a comfort person & I've noticed that before in other cars as well. If we drive it again, I'll definitely pay more attention original.gif

#20 shelly1

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Can I ask another question? What model were you quoted $31,000?

Haven't heard of the Rondo but will google as DH's work car is a Hyundai and it's been great Thanks for the info!

Good luck talking your DH into the Avensis

$31,000 was for last years model 2012 and it was the mid-range one (with the panoramic roof - interesting you like it I was unsure but my girls would love it LOL).

I dont know where you are located but if you do a search on carsales for new cars only lots of the dealers are clearing out last years models - We just missed out on a Kia Rondo that a Wollongong dealer was selling brand new for $24,000 driveaway which is amazing for a brand new 7 -seater with 5 year warranty.

The only car we have ruled out is a pre-2006 Kia Carnival. 2006 onwards were built by Hyundai but before that were the ones with Rover engines which are responsible for Kias poor reputation. I have  few friends with newer model Carnivals that seem great (and have done a few kms too)

I also like the Mitsubishi Grandis but all the ones we have seen used have lots of Kms and we are after a car that lasts. We dont upgrade for the sake of a new car we are the type of people who drive our cars till the end LOL. My current car is a 2000 Astra - been a great car but as the girls get older it isnt working for us. DD1 is sick of sitting between 2 car seats and as she gets taller it gets more awkward for her

#21 naomi_j86

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

CRAPTIVA!
I bought a 2nd hand 2006 CG or CX. Had it for 2 years then the timing chain went ($3000!)
*DVD player stopped working
*CD player would suddenly refuse to work, where the time lights up would come on and off.
*Light for airbags kept coming on at the end
*Tried to get the Captiva fixed 3 times for exhaust output (got sick of it, so got rid of the car).
*ONLY got 270km to a $70 tank of petrol. Was horrid!

I just bought a Nissan Dualis+2. It is smaller (but still enough room) and I get over double the fuel economy.
We paid $29000.

#22 Marley&Me

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (MARsmum @ 01/02/2013, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We were looking at buying a Captiva about 12 months ago as we needed a 7 seater on a low budget.  I had my heart set on one and then my husband did some research and we decided not to buy.  Apparently "craptiva" is a common term on the Internet!  

We ended up buying a 7 seater Outlander and absolutely love it!  For $30,000 we got a 2 year old top of line model with every extra imaginable (such as sunroof, seat warmers, DVD player, GPS, etc, etc) and it is great!

Good luck!

Thanks for the Outlander suggestion, I didn't actually realise they were a 7 seater option original.gif

Glad you're happy with yours!

QUOTE (shelly1 @ 01/02/2013, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$31,000 was for last years model 2012 and it was the mid-range one (with the panoramic roof - interesting you like it I was unsure but my girls would love it LOL).

I dont know where you are located but if you do a search on carsales for new cars only lots of the dealers are clearing out last years models - We just missed out on a Kia Rondo that a Wollongong dealer was selling brand new for $24,000 driveaway which is amazing for a brand new 7 -seater with 5 year warranty.

The only car we have ruled out is a pre-2006 Kia Carnival. 2006 onwards were built by Hyundai but before that were the ones with Rover engines which are responsible for Kias poor reputation. I have  few friends with newer model Carnivals that seem great (and have done a few kms too)

I also like the Mitsubishi Grandis but all the ones we have seen used have lots of Kms and we are after a car that lasts. We dont upgrade for the sake of a new car we are the type of people who drive our cars till the end LOL. My current car is a 2000 Astra - been a great car but as the girls get older it isnt working for us. DD1 is sick of sitting between 2 car seats and as she gets taller it gets more awkward for her

Thanks again for your feedback, we are looking at similar options original.gif

We have gone on a holiday today and after you pointing out the Rondo, I saw one on the road lol! Not sure I'm a fan though, it looked very small. In saying that, we stopped at Nissan where we are holidaying and they had a Dualis +2 Ti-L. Very nice inside but very shallow rear seats which is disappointing and a maximum weight of 36kg.... Not sure how long the kids would be comfortable for when they grow so quickly sad.gif

I guess we keep looking too!

QUOTE (naomi_j86 @ 01/02/2013, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CRAPTIVA!
I bought a 2nd hand 2006 CG or CX. Had it for 2 years then the timing chain went ($3000!)
*DVD player stopped working
*CD player would suddenly refuse to work, where the time lights up would come on and off.
*Light for airbags kept coming on at the end
*Tried to get the Captiva fixed 3 times for exhaust output (got sick of it, so got rid of the car).
*ONLY got 270km to a $70 tank of petrol. Was horrid!

I just bought a Nissan Dualis+2. It is smaller (but still enough room) and I get over double the fuel economy.
We paid $29000.

Sorry to hear your experience was crap. How do you find the Dualis? If you don't mind me asking what model do you have and are you happy with it? Also do you use the rear row on a regular basis or is it just spare seats?

TIA

#23 lotsofbots

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

mIL has a rondo, it really is only a six seater and has no boot at all

#24 weepingangel

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

I believe the new captivas have a different motor in them.

We have a brand new diesel LX and no problems so far. I had read the reviews on the older models, but according to cars guide etc, the 2012? onwards have new engines and supposedly no issues like the other motor.

#25 naomi_j86

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Marley&Me @ 02/02/2013, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you find the Dualis? If you don't mind me asking what model do you have and are you happy with it? Also do you use the rear row on a regular basis or is it just spare seats?

I'm really happy with the Dualis. It is 2012 base model. You can notice the power in it (as in, it would be better with more power on take-off), but with the fuel efficiency, I am more than happy. It goes fine up hills and on the freeway.

It is smaller than the Craptiva, but so much easier to park. You would not be able to fit 3 car seats in the middle, but I do like that the centre piece can come down as a drink holder.

We use the back row as spare seats. It is always myself who is in the back, and I'm fine sitting there (at 165cm). My husband at 182cm does not fit. I have to hop in through the boot due to the fixed carseats.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.