WDYT is the best thing to wear for a family photo shoot?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Always amazed!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

ok were getting some family photos done in a studio next week.

WHAT DO WE WEAR!

We are a family of 6.

we have done the jeans and white tops before so want something new..

Fairly casual but dressy..

I have a perfect white dress for one of my girls

What would your color suggestions be for the rest of us?

#2 katiebear26

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

try natural colours that go well together so none of you clash, and photos in black and white / sepia look good.

Also, no emblems or brand names if you can help it, simple pictures are ok but you don't want 'PUMPKIN PATCH'  or similar on your lifetime memories... :-)

#3 Always amazed!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yes was thinking plain clothing .. no patters ect.

so maybe black white and what other color?

Edited by seeingstraight, 31 January 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#4 Escapin

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

all denim of course...

#5 babatjie

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I'm not a fan of white or too plain. Something colourful/bright. Complementing not matching. If they have a special piece of clothing, with a lovely memory attached it's nice to capture it. I'm not sure of the ages of your kids, but I love Oobi on younger children for photos. So bright and colourful.

#6 WithSprinkles

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'm not a huge fan of matchy-matchy clothing for family photo shoots. I think as long as you're all wearing colours that complement each other it will look good.
Are you on Pinterest? There are lots of ideas on there.. Otherwise try googling images of family photos to see what you like.

I'd suggest steering clear of stuff that will go out of fashion (e.g. Neon) & wearing stuff with logos or patterns.

#7 jules77

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Last family photos we had (which turned out really nicely), we wore shade of blue, bone, grey and white.
I wore jeans and a white, lacy sleeveless top, DH wore a navy polo and bone cotton casual trousers, DS1 wore a light blue shirt and greyish trousers and DS2 wore a light blue and white shirt and grey trousers.

None of our clothes matched (ie were the same colour or same style or pattern) or were overly patterned. They did compliment each other thiugh. What helped was laying all the outfits on my bed and seeing what went best together.

#8 kazlou

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

What ever they feel the best wearing - that's what its about, capturing the moment.

Don't look staged, my DH, me and the kids had some 'prof' shots done at his uni grad and they are the worst photos of us because everyone is dressed up....

and it cost a freaking fortune

#9 podg

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

We had a white dress with red and blue accents to start from. A red dress for another girl, red skirt and white T for another, Dad had a blue/multi check shirt and jeans, Mum had black skirt and white T with a red pair of shoes. I think they look good.

I've seen the '3 colour plus POP' rule in a few places - choose 3 colours to base wardrobes on, at least one being neutral, and consider an accent of another colour (pair of shoes? Hat?) for interest.

Go with something that won't clash too much with your decor...

There are lots of examples around if you google.

#10 kpingitquiet

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Check out a few of these for inspiration:
http://www.antsmagazine.com/photography-2/...amily-pictures/
http://www.antsmagazine.com/photography-2/...ly-photographs/

#11 Superman+4sisters

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Many photographers have some tips on their websites.

I've heard not to use red, as it's very hard to get the shades to match.

Choose a palette or range of complementary colours - I agree with laying outfits together to check they don't clash

Have fun!

#12 kpingitquiet

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Oh, and we've only done one portrait set, so far. But husband did the jeans/white shirt combo. I had on a very simple navy dress with a brown belt, and some chunky but blue & brown jewelry. Kiddo had a gorgeous white dress with blue trim that matched her eyes. I think we avoided looking too uniform, especially as our outfits were different levels of formality.

#13 kazlou

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Quote: Go with something that won't clash too much with your decor...

But what if my family don't fit in with my decor?????

#14 Always amazed!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

ok was thinking of putting the kids in what they wore for their day care photos

Then dh in black pants/shirt

me in white 50 style dress black with white music notes and black shrug

#15 kazlou

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I think your kids look absolutely beautiful, so I would not be worried about what they are wearing.  Perhaps let them choose their outfits - capture this moment.

Its not about perfection

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.