New Kitten....what age for shots, desexing etc? UPDATED with photos!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hell kitty

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

I've been thinking of getting a kitten for a while now, as our old cat died almost a year ago and DD and I miss her, and miss having a cat.

As it's been nearly 15 years since I last had a kitten, I just want to get a quick refresh on what age they would need vaccinations and desexing, and anything else that I haven't thought of. From memory, cats are fairly easy to 'toilet train' (my two were I think), any advice on this appreciated too.

A friend of a friend has a kitten that may be still looking for a home, (finding out tomorrow) so just want to get prepared if it does eventuate.

Edited by hell kitty, 06 February 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#2 (feral)epg

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

First shots at 6-8 weeks (before it leaves its mother)
Normally then again at 10-12 weeks and 14-16 weeks plus an extra if it's getting vaccinated against FIV (which you should do if it will be outdoors)
Desexing normally at 6 months, plus microchip.

#3 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Okay, check with the vet about desexing, but from 12 weeks onward seems to be the go for desexing.

You will need worming tablets or paste - and will probably have to do several rounds in quick succession. Also consider suitable flea and tick treatments.

Bowls, bedding and litter tray are the other essentials. Kitty toys can be DIY (crumpled paper is fun, as are flicked ponytail holders) or store-bought. Kitties will TT themselves - well, their mother will have TT'd them for you if she had a litter tray. Kittens get with the program very quickly, unlike puppies. wink.gif

Finally, don't forget to microchip your baby! and consider keeping it indoors 24/7. An indoor cat is safe from other cats, dogs, people and motor vehicles. They also don't bother the neighbours or kill the wildlife, which are two other good reasons for keeping your cat indoors or in a secure enclosure.

#4 Guest_Marquise_*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (epg @ 31/01/2013, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First shots at 6-8 weeks (before it leaves its mother)
Normally then again at 10-12 weeks and 14-16 weeks plus an extra if it's getting vaccinated against FIV (which you should do if it will be outdoors)
Desexing normally at 6 months, plus microchip.

this. also, worming/flea treatment once a fortnight from 8 weeks until 15 weeks, when goes to once a month from then on.

toilet training is usually easy - put them on the litter after eating, scratch their paw through. They very quickly get the idea - especially if the litter box is in a corner. They like pooing in corners. original.gif Keep the litter box clean - change frequently - and no more than 2 kittens per tray. You might need to try a few sorts of litter to see which one they like best (if they don't like it believe me you'll know) but you might be lucky first go. Personally, I'd start with the enviro one you can flush down the loo. Needs to be changed more often but is better on a few different fronts.

and post pics to keep this crazy cat lady happy. original.gif

#5 hell kitty

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I had actually forgotten about the worming! The kitten will definitely be an indoors cat, (learned that lesson the hard, expensive way!) but I will get it vaccinated against FIV anyway. I'm not sure how old the little guy is that I am possibly getting, or if he has had any shots at all yet, if not, I'll get the vet to advise the best course of action with vaccinations.

#6 la di dah

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Mine all litter-box trained by 8 weeks. It was very painless and un-puppy-like. I once had a kitten I found living outside at a junkyard (that now is a great smug cloud of a cat that lives with my parents) and she litterbox trained by being sat in the litterbox for the first time at about 7 weeks old having never seen one before. She was fine after that though I suspect she'd  have made trouble in a child's sandbox.

My two cats now each were fine with litter when I got them and the "old one" was 9 weeks.

I didn't get my white moggie desexed until about 7 months or so but that was only because coming from the rescue situation he had, he was too ill. If he hadn't been such an incredible DIY I would have had him done earlier for the sake of not worrying about it.

When I was fostering we desexed healthy kittens at 9 weeks just so the new homes wouldn't have to worry about it (or hypothetically forget to get around to it) but I think that was more a pragmatic "no new generation of unwanted kittens" than possibly ideal vet practice. On the other hand, the boys especially did not seem to notice.

#7 Bluenomi

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Depending on where you are you shouldn't legally be able to get a kitten that hasn't been desexed. So that sohuldn't be an issue hopefully.

#8 midstudentcatie

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Any kitty news?

12 weeks or 1kg in weight for desexing seems to be the way that most breeders here are going. Gus was done at 11 weeks and hasn't had any issues so far - he's not a sprayer, he's certainly not stunted in growth, and he's all round a healthy and happy chappy. He was chipped at the same time as desexing. Vaccinations were at 8, 12 and 16 weeks (first two were done before we picked him up), worming was fortnightly until 16 weeks.

He was litter trained when we picked him up, but from what I've heard it's reasonably easy, esp if kitty's been with mum.

#9 hell kitty

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

Still waiting....my friend couldn't get hold of his friend with the kitten today. Apparently it's a stray, so no idea how old, although the photo he showed me suggest about 6 -8 weeks - apparently very friendly (AND really cute!!).

My previous cats were rescues too, and from what I remember (going back 14 and 17 years), pretty easy to toilet train, unlike the dog....took about 3 years, I actually witnessed the moment the penny dropped!!

Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up on Sunday (working all day tomorrow). Trip to the vets first thing Monday I think! Will keep you all posted.

#10 hell kitty

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Got the kitten today, she is so cute! Grey and fluffy. DD wanted to call her Fluffy originally. We've gone with Violet as she's got a kind of Russian Blue look to her. She was a stray/abandoned so we don't know exactly how old she is, the girl I got her from took her to the vet who thought about 8 weeks.
She seems comfortable on my lap or me holding her, I've set up a bed, kitty litter and food in the laundry. She first went and hid behind the vacuum cleaner, then she discovered behind the washing machine.
I rescued her from behind the washing machine, then she did a bit of pee on me (must like me!). After I put her back in the laundry she found the kitty litter, then she found her food, so I think she's going to be fine in a day or two! DD loves her! Now to figure out how to upload a photo....

http://s906.beta.photobucket.com/user/cath...9211a4.jpg.html

http://s906.beta.photobucket.com/user/cath...9211a4.jpg.html

#11 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

what a little cutie. biggrin.gif

#12 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

Awwww, she's a cutie all right! original.gif

#13 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

How gorgeous!!!

I bet you will have endless fun with her!

I don't think early desexing affects their size because 3 of mine were done before 12 weeks (around 11 weeks) and they are now 5.5kg, 6kg and 6.5kg!!

BTW speak to your vet, we spoke to ours recently about worming and she advised that because ours don't go into catteries and are 100% indoors that we can worm every 6 months instead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.