Teacher shouting at year one students
Catholic school. Not sure what to do

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 bryce's-mummy

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

DS is in yr 1 at a Catholic school. We were very happy with his teacher and the quality of learning last year. This year he has a class with two teachers and last year when we received the class lists I was warned by other parents about the class my DS is placed in- "one teacher is lovely but the second is not". Students  (across the board) describe her as nasty and parents don't like her either saying that she "shouts and screams" all the time at the kids. These are 6 year olds!!!

Anyway I tried not to think about it last year and never said anthing to DS as I didn't want to taint his thoughts or worry or concern him.

So this week he started school and mon, tues and wed he had the 'nice' teacher. Today he comes home form school saying that he doesn't want to go to school anymore- he doesn't like the teacher today because she shouts all the time. Apparently she didn't shout at him but she did shout at some other kids. I asked if she shouted a lot (more than me! lol) and he said "yes"!!

Another mum (whose 6yo DD is in the same class) has just posted on FB a picture her DD drew afterschool- it is a pic of her crying and the teacher with a zig-zag grumpy mouth.

This is really upsetting as I know that DS can be a fly-away kind of child and I don't want him to be afraid or upset of going to school. There are situations where year 1's have been suspended from the school with this teacher. I don't expect him to have an easy-going teacher every year or to have a choice of who he gets- last year his teacher was very firm but fair and the kids really related well to her. DS did get into trouble a few times but reacted well to the discipline. I just don't think shouting at my child is a positive way to encourage good behaviour in class.

I am not sure what to do. I don't think it's right for me to just pull him out of the class as I don't want him thinking that if you don't like something/get along with someone then you can just move and make change. But I don't want his learning affected either. I don't even think I have the power to change his class anyway. I will make an appointment with the school counsellor and see what she says. Other than that I just don't know. Is this type of 'teaching' acceptable for year 1's. I mean- today was her FIRST day of teaching!!!

#2 gina70

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I am a teacher at a catholic school in year 1.  No, yelling at the children is not acceptable, not for any grade.  Teachers are told they are not allowed to yell.  If it was my child I would do something about it.  Either talk to one of the teachers or even the principal.

I hate being yelled at, imagine how six year olds feel!?

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

If her yelling is not something she's working on, she's doin it rong.

I would go see the Principal, probably. Sounds like it's well overdue for a complaint to be made. If there's no joy I wouldn't actually hesitate to look for a new school.

#4 Chelli

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I would definitely say something. We had a teacher who yelled and while she didn't teach any of my children, my DD was terrified of her. She has anxiety and there is no way she would cope with a teacher who regularly yelled at students.

#5 bryce's-mummy

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Just re-read my post and wanted to re-iterate that it was her first day of teaching students this year but she has been a teacher at the school for many years (just I re-read it and I confused myself!!) Apparently other parents have complained so I have no idea what is going on there and why she is still even at the school!!

#6 Niamh23

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

So the other mother b**ched about the teacher on FB instead of doing the logical thing and going to the school with her issues?

#7 Escapin

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

She sounds awful. I'd definitely be taking it up with the school, pronto. If you don't get anywhere with the counsellor, I'd make an appointment to see the principal.

#8 FeRaL n ScReWeD

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'd bit*h on FB too....If she has been doing it for years at the school and others have complained,They obviously don't see the issue with it. I would refuse to send my child the days she was on and notify the education department why!

#9 Niamh23

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (sarahs_three @ 01/02/2013, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd bit*h on FB too....If she has been doing it for years at the school and others have complained,They obviously don't see the issue with it. I would refuse to send my child the days she was on and notify the education department why!

Venting about teachers on social networking is a really stupid and risky thing to do. Parents have been sued for making defamatory comments about teachers on social networking sites and via email.

#10 TheSmithFamily

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I would first speak to principal and see if anything happens or the teachers attitude changes.

I am a firm believer in speaking up for your own child and other people's children too.

We had a similar situation last year but it took many parents to speak up and lots of documentation.

Sometimes even if its not directed at your child being in that environment can be very stressful and effect children's learning. Resilience is a good thing to learn but not through fear.

Cheers bron

#11 Roy G Biv

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (Niamh23 @ 01/02/2013, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the other mother b**ched about the teacher on FB instead of doing the logical thing and going to the school with her issues?

I must admit I agree with this. Why do people feel the need to bag out their children's school/teacher
on Facebook?

If you have an issue I would talk to the school.

#12 Niamh23

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (Roy G Biv @ 01/02/2013, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must admit I agree with this. Why do people feel the need to bag out their children's school/teacher
on Facebook?

If you have an issue I would talk to the school.

Particularly as children are constantly reminded about cyberbullying these days...then their parents hop online and do it themselves!

#13 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Niamh23 @ 01/02/2013, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Particularly as children are constantly reminded about cyberbullying these days...then their parents hop online and do it themselves!

Good point.

Be an adult and sort it out with the school, rather than banging on about the teacher on FB.

#14 Excentrique Feral

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Complain to the school and encourage everyone else to do the same.
Document everything and get other parents to do the same.

#15 bryce's-mummy

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Niamh23 @ 01/02/2013, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No she certainly didn't b**ch about the teacher. Just placed up the drawing on FB with no comment at all.

#16 Niamh23

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (bryce's-mummy @ 02/02/2013, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No she certainly didn't b**ch about the teacher. Just placed up the drawing on FB with no comment at all.

She is still obviously making a criticism of the teacher on a social networking site, and is looking for backup from other parents. She needs to keep her criticisms between herself and the school.

#17 LittleC

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

I would talk to the Principal. You were told by other Parents this would happen and it did on your sons first day. Given the drawing that the other Mothers child drew, indicates to me that the Teachers behaviour is affecting other children in an immediate way.

#18 Wallymaduka

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Oh gosh - sorry to hear this is happening at your school.  

I couldn't not do anything, particularly as you know it's an issue with other children and parents.  The protective (and probably grumpy) Mother Bear in me would be making an appoint with the principal straight away.  Confidence is such a fragile thing - it would be awful to have it jeopordised because of a teacher's inability to recognise that.

Edited by 808state, 02 February 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#19 SplashingRainbows

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I think i would be addressing that with the Principal.

#20 coolbreeze

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Definately address it with the school principal. Present your case in a fair and rational way. Maybe with some examples. Maybe a group of you could make a formal complaint
Screaming at pupils is not acceptable...but neither is posting about these issues on FB. it comes dangerously close to defamation. Even without a comment and it doesn't teach children the right way to handle disputes. It is an insidious and passive aggressive form of cyberbulling. Exactly what you dont want your child to experience.
So be professional about and speak to the principal.
CB

#21 Arthur or Martha

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Edited by ambwrose, 04 September 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#22 Fr0g

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Heck, I'd yell after a day spent with 25+ year 1s..... but I'm not a teacher, which is a good thing original.gif

My son had a renowned screamer in reception and year 2, but he didn't mind so I didn't. If your son is bothered though, I'd go to the school - you don't want a teacher's uncontrolled frustration or whatever it is, ruining your sons school experience.

#23 *Ker*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

We had this last year. I spoke to the principal twice, and it stopped for a couple of weeks and then she'd start again. I was so sick of DS saying he wasn't going to school, and I had promised him I would fix it.

I spoke to the teacher myself in the end, out of anyone else's earshot. I was very calm, polite and firm. I told her that yelling was unacceptable, that she was making DS not want to go to school and if it happened again, I would bypass her and the principal, and go straight to the education department.

She was horribly embarrassed (bright red cheeks) and apologised profusely. More importantly, she sought DS out at school that day and apologised to HIM, asking him to tell her when she next yells. There is none of it anymore. She is now one of DS's favourite teachers. He knows to come to me now if there is another problem. Added bonus is that he thinks mum is terrific, cause she fixed it like she said she would  laughing2.gif

Speak to the principal and if you get no joy, the teacher herself. It worked with me.

#24 handsfull

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Excentrique @ 01/02/2013, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Complain to the school and encourage everyone else to do the same.
Document everything and get other parents to do the same.

This and then cross your fingers that you get a response from the Principal who actually cares about children.

In Grade 1 my girls had an old teacher who was short of retirement she screamed at the kids every day and they all were affected.  Some bedwet, others cried, others refused to go to school, others crawled under desks.  No matter what parents said to the teacher she just smiled and said the kids were still adjusting to Grade 1.....

....as for my ASD daughter she ran from the classroom every day and out of the school into traffic one day......

The principal said the teacher was a very good one and his hands were tied by red tape no matter what written complaints to EQ etc.  We should tell our children to deal with it and get over it as they just had to learn to deal with life.   At 6 years of age we (as in all the class parents at a meeting 18/20) were disgusted.

We removed our children from that school as with a principal with an attitude/helpfulness like that...who needed enemies...

Stand up for your children.  We have never looked back.

Edited by handsfull, 05 February 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#25 Overtherainbow

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Please make an appointment to speak with admin about your concerns.  If other parents vocalise concerns tell them to speak up to admin.

If the teacher is yelling they need help in class control.  Fb and car park gossip will not solve the problem, hopefully alerting admin. will.  If there is no change try the catholic education board for your state.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.