Guide for New EB users *Fluff*

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 TKS

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

*fluff*
As someone who mostly lurks I've observed many poor posters make the same mistakes over and over only to get so bruised by the responses that they are probably scared for life. So just starting a thread on topics to for New EB users to avoid or at least put on the battle armour for (or topics for older members to get the popcorn out for  biggrin.gif ). My contribution is to avoid posts on:
  • Baby Bonus
  • Childcare
  • School Lunches (yoghurt, white bread)

There are many others - what else can people suggest?

#2 Jax12

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Parking with Pram areas used by people without babies vent
Using disabled toilets to change nappies
Piercing ears in babies/young children
Circumcision
YAAB - Why is everyone so mean?

ETA
I heard the weirdest name today, Le-a/Abcde
How do I get pregnant with twins?
Help me write a wishing well poem

Edited by Jax12, 31 January 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#3 Mozzie1

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Whether its ok for men to go in parents rooms.
Leaving your children home alone.
WDYT of the name Naeveh?

#4 Copacetic

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

DO NOT mention special needs unless the thread is specifically about special needs.

If you take a pregnancy test, you must take a photograph of the wee stick and make it as blurry as possible, then post it.

Marshmallow is lovely in a salad.

#5 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Sometimes you will be surprised at how a seemingly innocuous question or remark causes all hell to break loose. biggrin.gif

#6 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Using soup packet mixes in recipes
Expecting grandparents to be free child care
Breast feeding should be compulsory
Going to a footballer's room is 'asking for it'
Why I let my toddler scream in soprano for three hours at the cafe

#7 AryaStar

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Do not go into the Pet forum asking people to recommend the best oodle-crosses. In fact, it's probably best not to go into the Pet section at all.

#8 countrymel

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Do not under any circumstances wander unsolicited into the Assisted Conception section and suggest that people need to "relax and have a positive attitude" as that's all you need to get pregnant.

This will not you may be surprised to learn cause people to 'relax' not will it turn their attitude into 'positive'.....

It will however cause them to turn arctic with fury and possibly make them follow you into other threads and point out your shortcomings...

*hangs head in shame for mornings little outburst*

*realises she isn't actually sorry and still thinks poster is an idiot*

#9 epg

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Shady Lane @ 31/01/2013, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do not go into the Pet forum asking people to recommend the best oodle-crosses. In fact, it's probably best not to go into the Pet section at all.

Only go there if you are a registered breeder and your cat is 100% indoors.

#10 Regular Show

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

- Circumcision

- Anything Religious

- Dont go into the Twin Mummy section (even im not that brave *shakes in bootys*) unless you have one or compare having children close together the same as having twins.

-Bottle vs Breast

Edited by Regular Show, 31 January 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#11 Coffeemagic

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Don't comment about any parenting style in a negative way
Don't tell anyone that you are formula feeding
Don't comment about how people dress their children
Don't tell anyone that you may enjoy being away from your child(ren)

#12 9minutes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Any kind of parking question is best avoided I think - not only pram parking but accessible (wheelchair/disabled) parking, waiting for parking, not waiting for parking, parking by the door, parking far away, you get the idea.

And any post involving the words "discreet" or "modest" may also be unwise unless you are sure about what you are starting.

#13 *cough*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Use good grammar, spell check and use paragraphs.

#14 Funwith3

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Tizzie Hall....or anything to do with controlled crying

#15 The Old Bag

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

The beauty of EB is that ANY subject or comment, even the most innocuous one you can think  of,  has the potential to become a fiery train wreck.

#16 Boombox

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

This was posted many years ago- but, as is EB's way, it is still very relevant and helpful for all new comers.

1. Thou shalt not enclose thy baby's bottom in the clothes of the Devil (i.e disposable nappies)

2. Thou shalt feed the fruit of thy loins naught but the fruit of the land and other wholegrain items (not including Roll-Ups or muesli bars)

3. Thou shalt breastfeed thy child through the dark nights and long days upon us, through mastitis and chewed off nipples

4. Thou shall learn the wonder of self soothing, and post multiple times your great joy in order to make others among you less worthy

5. Thou shalt understand the terms "scragging" and "bogan"and use them righteously

6. Thou shalt judge the parenting of others and convey this by starting thy posts with "I'm not judging but...."

7. Thou shalt not admit defeat at the training of the potty even though the rivers of pee run freely

8 Thou shalt post and check for replies every ten seconds, for this is the way of the EBers

9 Thou shalt simmer with fury when a sister responds negatively to thine own post and secretly cheer when the sister posts a problem with her own brethren

10 Thou shalt not complete the laundry/dinner/fancy dress costume/cleaning of the oven as thou shalt become engrossed in the word of the many upon the forum

Verily, ladies, I have spoken

#17 Flashheart

Avoid like the plague anything to do with housework, particularly if you were thinking of starting a topic along the lines of "how often do you deep clean your toilet/change your towels/sheets/pyjamas".

It will not end well. It will rapidly degenerate into a p*ssing contest between the "Feral Lazies" and the "Clean Freaks".

Do not ask a question in WDYT and then don't like the answers/have endless excuses as to why people's suggestions will not work for you.

Lunch box ideas - avoid
Breast v Bottle - immediately turn off your computer
Vaginal v Caesarean - as above

( ph34r.gif The people in Pets are actually very nice)

Edited by jameses mum, 31 January 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#18 Excentrique

I've made so many mistakes over the years I can't even think of them all!

-don't express your opinion.
-never say anything unless your prepared to stand my your statement and defend it unto the death.
-never start a topic on a whim or because you are bored. Spend at least 2hrs contemplating the consequences of starting your thread.

#19 squeekums

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (Copacetic @ 31/01/2013, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Marshmallow is lovely in a salad.

sick.gif    blink.gif   ffear.gif   nno.gif

I feel ill now
Someone cant have really said that. Right?

#20 elizabethany

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Any sort of opinion that goes against the mob mentailty

That there are reasons to not breastfeed until child is (insert age here)

Calling something (anything) bogan

regretting children/wanting to have done things differently.

Any government payments, especially the baby bonus.

#21 Excentrique

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

If you do end up in an argument the best way to win is to yell:

Your obviously a lazy cow and a terrible mother! Get off the computer and go spend some time with your poor neglected children! You spend way to much time on EB!!! I don't, I'm leaving, I'm the bestest mother ever, YOUSE ARE ALL b**chES.

#22 Copacetic

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (squeekums @ 31/01/2013, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sick.gif    blink.gif   ffear.gif   nno.gif

I feel ill now
Someone cant have really said that. Right?

Yes indeed.

#23 BobTony

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Squeekums, numerous people over the years have declared this s tasty morsel indeed  blink.gif

Remember, raisins are verily the work of the devil.

It is generally not a good idea to decry gay marriage on obscure, badly interpreted sections of the Bible.

And when you flounce, drawing attention to your hawt size 10 bod and black sports car will only earn you roars of laughter from us chunky chumps,and a place in EB history forevermore.

Edited by WingBob, 31 January 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#24 Lausii

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Religion.  wink.gif

#25 LifesGood

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Might it be easier to start a thread about what it IS safe to discuss? Would be a much shorter thread.

Ah bugger it newbies, post what you like, it's entertaining.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.