Guide for New EB users *Fluff*

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 TKS

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

*fluff*
As someone who mostly lurks I've observed many poor posters make the same mistakes over and over only to get so bruised by the responses that they are probably scared for life. So just starting a thread on topics to for New EB users to avoid or at least put on the battle armour for (or topics for older members to get the popcorn out for  biggrin.gif ). My contribution is to avoid posts on:
  • Baby Bonus
  • Childcare
  • School Lunches (yoghurt, white bread)

There are many others - what else can people suggest?

#2 Jax12

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Parking with Pram areas used by people without babies vent
Using disabled toilets to change nappies
Piercing ears in babies/young children
Circumcision
YAAB - Why is everyone so mean?

ETA
I heard the weirdest name today, Le-a/Abcde
How do I get pregnant with twins?
Help me write a wishing well poem

Edited by Jax12, 31 January 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#3 Feral Mozzie

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Whether its ok for men to go in parents rooms.
Leaving your children home alone.
WDYT of the name Naeveh?

#4 Copacetic

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

DO NOT mention special needs unless the thread is specifically about special needs.

If you take a pregnancy test, you must take a photograph of the wee stick and make it as blurry as possible, then post it.

Marshmallow is lovely in a salad.

#5 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Sometimes you will be surprised at how a seemingly innocuous question or remark causes all hell to break loose. biggrin.gif

#6 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Using soup packet mixes in recipes
Expecting grandparents to be free child care
Breast feeding should be compulsory
Going to a footballer's room is 'asking for it'
Why I let my toddler scream in soprano for three hours at the cafe

#7 AryaStar

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Do not go into the Pet forum asking people to recommend the best oodle-crosses. In fact, it's probably best not to go into the Pet section at all.

#8 CountryFeral

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Do not under any circumstances wander unsolicited into the Assisted Conception section and suggest that people need to "relax and have a positive attitude" as that's all you need to get pregnant.

This will not you may be surprised to learn cause people to 'relax' not will it turn their attitude into 'positive'.....

It will however cause them to turn arctic with fury and possibly make them follow you into other threads and point out your shortcomings...

*hangs head in shame for mornings little outburst*

*realises she isn't actually sorry and still thinks poster is an idiot*

#9 (feral)epg

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Shady Lane @ 31/01/2013, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do not go into the Pet forum asking people to recommend the best oodle-crosses. In fact, it's probably best not to go into the Pet section at all.

Only go there if you are a registered breeder and your cat is 100% indoors.

#10 PoshMosh

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Don't comment about any parenting style in a negative way
Don't tell anyone that you are formula feeding
Don't comment about how people dress their children
Don't tell anyone that you may enjoy being away from your child(ren)

#11 9ferals

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Any kind of parking question is best avoided I think - not only pram parking but accessible (wheelchair/disabled) parking, waiting for parking, not waiting for parking, parking by the door, parking far away, you get the idea.

And any post involving the words "discreet" or "modest" may also be unwise unless you are sure about what you are starting.

#12 *cough*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Use good grammar, spell check and use paragraphs.

#13 Funwith3

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Tizzie Hall....or anything to do with controlled crying

#14 The Old Feral

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

The beauty of EB is that ANY subject or comment, even the most innocuous one you can think  of,  has the potential to become a fiery train wreck.

#15 Boombox

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

This was posted many years ago- but, as is EB's way, it is still very relevant and helpful for all new comers.

1. Thou shalt not enclose thy baby's bottom in the clothes of the Devil (i.e disposable nappies)

2. Thou shalt feed the fruit of thy loins naught but the fruit of the land and other wholegrain items (not including Roll-Ups or muesli bars)

3. Thou shalt breastfeed thy child through the dark nights and long days upon us, through mastitis and chewed off nipples

4. Thou shall learn the wonder of self soothing, and post multiple times your great joy in order to make others among you less worthy

5. Thou shalt understand the terms "scragging" and "bogan"and use them righteously

6. Thou shalt judge the parenting of others and convey this by starting thy posts with "I'm not judging but...."

7. Thou shalt not admit defeat at the training of the potty even though the rivers of pee run freely

8 Thou shalt post and check for replies every ten seconds, for this is the way of the EBers

9 Thou shalt simmer with fury when a sister responds negatively to thine own post and secretly cheer when the sister posts a problem with her own brethren

10 Thou shalt not complete the laundry/dinner/fancy dress costume/cleaning of the oven as thou shalt become engrossed in the word of the many upon the forum

Verily, ladies, I have spoken

#16 Excentrique Feral

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I've made so many mistakes over the years I can't even think of them all!

-don't express your opinion.
-never say anything unless your prepared to stand my your statement and defend it unto the death.
-never start a topic on a whim or because you are bored. Spend at least 2hrs contemplating the consequences of starting your thread.

#17 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (Copacetic @ 31/01/2013, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Marshmallow is lovely in a salad.

sick.gif    blink.gif   ffear.gif   nno.gif

I feel ill now
Someone cant have really said that. Right?

#18 elizabethany

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Any sort of opinion that goes against the mob mentailty

That there are reasons to not breastfeed until child is (insert age here)

Calling something (anything) bogan

regretting children/wanting to have done things differently.

Any government payments, especially the baby bonus.

#19 Excentrique Feral

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

If you do end up in an argument the best way to win is to yell:

Your obviously a lazy cow and a terrible mother! Get off the computer and go spend some time with your poor neglected children! You spend way to much time on EB!!! I don't, I'm leaving, I'm the bestest mother ever, YOUSE ARE ALL b**chES.

#20 Copacetic

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (squeekums @ 31/01/2013, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sick.gif    blink.gif   ffear.gif   nno.gif

I feel ill now
Someone cant have really said that. Right?

Yes indeed.

#21 FeralBob!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Squeekums, numerous people over the years have declared this s tasty morsel indeed  blink.gif

Remember, raisins are verily the work of the devil.

It is generally not a good idea to decry gay marriage on obscure, badly interpreted sections of the Bible.

And when you flounce, drawing attention to your hawt size 10 bod and black sports car will only earn you roars of laughter from us chunky chumps,and a place in EB history forevermore.

Edited by WingBob, 31 January 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#22 Feral-Lausii

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Religion.  wink.gif

#23 LifesGood

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Might it be easier to start a thread about what it IS safe to discuss? Would be a much shorter thread.

Ah bugger it newbies, post what you like, it's entertaining.

#24 Angelina Ballerina

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Don't ask "do you think I might be pregnant blah blah". You may as well ask the magic 8 ball.
Spend a few dollars and pee on a freakin' stick!

Don't ever mention alcohol and pregnancy, baby showers, kids parties.

Edited by Angelina Ballerina, 31 January 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#25 FeralBob!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

You forgot the smiley Quill. It should be

HTH  original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.