What are you eating in early pregnancy?
meals/snacks

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 MrsRadiant

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

I thought it would be great to share with each other what we have been eating and to share ideas?
Im one of those worrying about what i am eating is ok?

So basically
for breaky i have been having 2x hard cooked eggs on linseed and soy toast and a warm milo.

Lunch i just had leftover lasagna & vegies from last night and now munching on some rockmelon/strawberries (dont really feel like them but guess its good for me)
would much prefer a chocolate!  tongue.gif

tea im thinking steak and vegies

how many warm milos a day do you think i could have??

#2 CallMeFeral

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

As many as you like - it's for the baby! Tounge1.gif

#3 Klj1

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Breakfast either fruit and yoghurt or home made banana bread with fresh juice (currently watermelon/orange), I tried apple ginger this morning and am not convinced about the anti-nausea effect. Also 1 cappuccino per day till motrning sickness kicks in. Trying to curb my hunger with fruit and eat extra salad and fresh veggies. otherwise I'm normally pretty healthy except for liking rich and fatty foods.

FYI: for those who are suffering, many foods have natural anti-inflammatory properties, eg basil, fish etc. See whfoods.com for details. Also white chocolate doesn't have any caffeine.

#4 dimensionk

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

I'm pretty much been eating the same as I was beforehand - except for avoiding certain things. We eat really healthily normally though (well, I like to think so!).

One thing I've been struggling with is breakfast. We go out every Saturday and Sunday for this, and I love my poached eggs! I've tried fried eggs, omelettes, and scrambled... none hit the spot (actually, they make me feel a little ill). So last time we just asked them to poach until the yolk was cooked solid. They did a pretty good job with this. It was slightly soft in places, but it is with a hard boiled egg anyway yeah? I hope it's okay.

I've noticed that oily foods make me feel ill, but I don't eat much of those anyway.

For breakfast, I have anything from fruit to half a sandwich to soup (I made a big patch of pumpkin soup - so it's nice and healthy and ready to microwave from the freezor).

For lunch, either veggie bake (mostly veggies and cheese, and a little rice), sandwich, or soup. And always fruit snack. sometimes veg.

For dinner, we usually have tuna burritos (a very healthy version), home made pasta, eating out (usually Indian if so), and a variety of other things.

Dessert is more fruit.

We drink lots of sparkling water with fresh lime. Delicious.

#5 dorkalicious

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

My taste is all off - so things I would normally eat are not appealing ATM  shrug.gif

I never knew there was a problem with poached eggs.... I ate them when PG with DS

#6 Mama Syd

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Now that morning sickness has kicked in I'm going to try some plain wholemeal saladas.
I drink smoothies as an easy alternative to get more fruit in. I just make them with soy milk, a banana and some frozen berries. I find them nicely filling and refreshing. The frozen fruit makes the smoothy nice and cold and cools me down from the inside :)

#7 Annaant

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hey ladies,

Just wanted to know what your take on stuff like cooked prawns, lobster and crab, where it be on a pizza or from the fish markets, I have heard so many different things???

Anna

#8 Klj1

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Hi anna,

I read that you shouldn't eat cold prawns etc. they can get bad bacteria when cold. If its on a hot piece of pizza should be fine.

#9 MrsRadiant

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

I'm wondering that too, I love prawns and in pasta, pizzas etc. I'm hoping they get the tick if they are hot.

#10 Klj1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hey guys, few things I've noticed about my appetite...

First what they say about pairing starch and protein has been working well for me, ie cheese Toasties, yum!

Also I noticed that any food with high water content on its own is bad, ie fruit and yoghurt for breakkie, or this arvo I had a smoothie and just felt queasy and bloated after.

I have been eating lunch a little early and then having a snack in the afternoon too...

#11 IvoryLace

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

Got my BFP last Wednesday original.gif Since then I have been eating pretty much the same, we eat pretty healthily except I can't eat as much as before! I feel bloated and gassy so have had to reduce my portion sizes. Instead of having lunch as my main meal, I'm having a small fruit snack in the morning, a small lunch. I have been drinking rooibos tea (caffeine free) which I love... has anyone else tried it?

#12 mrslb

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

I love Rooibos tea! yum.

I've always been a big brekky girl - having things like toasted egg and cheese sandwiches, baked beans on toast and those big square vita-weet things (toast sized) with Vegemite and cheese.  So into cheese right now!

Lunches are sandwiches or leftovers, and dinners are home cooked - things like spaghetti bolognese (I add heaps of vegies too), stir fry or burritos.

I'm having heaps of sparkling water too and am completely off chocolate.  I'm not normally that much of a choc-a-holic but right now I can't understand how anyone could ever find it appealing.  

Snacks are carrots and frozen berries mostly and I've enjoyed a banana smoothie when out for coffee with a friend original.gif

#13 Casii

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Crackers, cheese and tomato for me...  can't get enough!
I had an episode of gagging on my cereal this morning...  sad.gif
Upside...  I got to have the above mentioned favourite biggrin.gif

Mrslb...  those lunch slices are amazing,  I bought 2 different flavours today om nom nom!

#14 Growingspud

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

Pretty healthy most of the time, breaky normally muesli w yogurt and berries, lunch salad and dinner meat and vege. Simple but yummy. Snacks are nut or fruit

DH loves to cook so have also had homemade meatballs and pasta lately. This is beautiful but did full me up very quickly.

I have Lindt dark chocolate almost every day only a couple of squares. I love the passion fruit and strawberry flavours!

Pretty much the same diet I had before without the wine!!

#15 June Bee

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Great idea MrsRadiant! I'm always interested to know what people like eating, just because I like food/cooking, but especially now original.gif

I only got my BFP a week ago and am basically doing the same as DimensionK and Ivorylace - I just eat as per normal but I have stopped eating certain things or cut down (ie Coke intake cut sad.gif )

I'm a vegetarian but haven't ever had any problems with iron (still waiting for results of latest blood tests - hopefully all good).

I usually only have milk for breakfast on work days as I'm rushing, but I follow it up with a snack at my desk (trying to go with fruit). Have been starving lately though! Thinking I will need to change this and get up earlier for work so I can make breakfast. (The last few days I've had omelettes or pancakes as I haven't been at work.)

Lunch is usually salad, or yoghurt and fruit or yoghurt and sandwich/wrap or vego sushi. Think I will stick with this unless I have some good left overs.

Usually have home cooked meals for dinner - Eating lots of veggie soups for dinner lately and think I will stick with this as well! Obsessed with this black bean/salsa soup right now! unsure.gif

I've just been drinking juice and water, though I did have a frozen coke last week. I don't drink coffee but I'm a bit worried about giving up chocolate - I loooove chocolate! Not sure how I will cope  unsure.gif

#16 Klj1

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hi June bee, just be careful regarding salad, as it needs to be washed just before eating, ie avoid restaurant salads that have been sitting for awhile.
Also don't know if you like white chocolate but it has zero caffeine (lots of sugar and fat though so small quantities)
Regarding iron, the supplements may make you feel sick, I was vego and took them and vomited and I wasn't preggo then, so I recommend taking with food...

#17 June Bee

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thanks so much Klj! I wouldn't have thought about that with restaurant salads. Thanks for letting me know. I mostly take my own, but I do have lunches with friends at work and will think about it.

Also did not know that about white chocolate or supplements! I haven't taken supplements in some time (usually my iron is ok), but waiting for blood test results so possibility that my dr might want me to take some again and I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks again - Im so new to it! There seems so much to think about:)

#18 Klj1

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

No prob I'm still learning too...!

Be careful even with your own salad that you wash it just before eating (I recommend googling it)...

The doc recommended me folic acid supplements and the ones I got had iron too.

I still have a half sized coffee in the mornings, good not to have caffeine withdrawals!

#19 June Bee

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

I just looked up all the food I can't eat. No sushi!! It's a bit depressing:p That said, I know it will be worth it in the end!

#20 MrsShine

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hi everyone!

Only just got our first BFP last Friday but have made some pretty dramatic diet changes since then, the main one being cutting out wine! I do enjoy a glass of white vino, but no longer original.gif

We do eat pretty healthily, but I'm notorious for skipping meals (especially breakfast) then making poor choices at meal times :/ and we tend to eat out a lot.

I was raised vegetarian but do eat meat now, but still enjoy lots of yummy veggie packed dinners.

I've been reading the "what to expect" app daily updates on my phone and read how at 5 wks our baby's brain is developing and it needs good fatty foods and omega 3's, so scrambled egg with plain wholemeal toast for breakfast, a tuna & salad sambo for lunch, yoghurt and handfuls of walnuts for snacks and last night I made baked salmon with lemon, soy sauce and leeks served with steamed broccoli, green beans, cauliflower and baby potatoes - delicious!

Thinking of chicken burritos tonight with wholemeal wraps...yum!

#21 blackbird

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

wow your all eating better than me, I had a coffee and a shake for breakfast, ham sandwich (oh bugger! I cant have ham!) a yogurt, water , spaghetti bol for tea still hungry or sick, tummy not happy, I might go eat a banana that might make me feel less guilty...

#22 MummyLyss

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

Thanks PP for the idea of toasties! Eating cheese and tomato toasty now original.gif

What's wrong with chocolate?! I was reading something yesterday that said there was a link between eating chocolate and a lower risk of miscarriage so now I'm very confused!

I've only known for 2 days and I've been eating pretty much the same as normal. If I can muster the energy I'm going to make lasagna for dinner (and grate some veg like carrot and zucchini into the meat sauce).

#23 MrsShine

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

I don't think there is anything massively wrong with chocolate, it all depends on how careful you want to be.

It does contain caffeine, and obviously high fats/calories but in moderation i think it's fine.

A couple of friends who have had bubs recently had the most atrocious diets during pregnancy, not on purpose but literally as their MS was so bad there were only a few foods they could tolerate (one could literally only stomach white foods: rice, bread, mashed potato etc.) she had never before eaten white bread! Her obstetrician said it was fine as long as she took her prenatal vitamins and drank lots of water.

Another friend craved everything sweet - a magnum a day, punnets of strawberries, vanilla milk shakes etc.

Obviously if you feel well enough, eating exactly what you're meant to and nothing of what you should not is the way to go, but as long as we do our best original.gif

Our burritos were so good last night! Chicken and veg stir fried, served with refried beans, salsa, guacamole, natural yogurt, jalapeños, freshly washed lettuce, grated cheese on wholemeal tortillas!

#24 Klj1

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

I have fullon starch and cheese cravings. Yesterday i made a potato gratin- slice potato with cheesy bechamel baked in the oven. Was so awesome but not exactly healthy... Nor is my nacho addiction! At least I make fresh salsa on top and retried beans on the bottom. Hungry... Again!

Blackbird I found liquid stuff like shakes makes me feel sick.... Like too sloshy or something

Edited by Klj1, 19 February 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#25 Chaton

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

McDonalds released those honeycomb and toffee shakes the day I got my BFP.  I've been desperate to try one.  I was naughty yesterday and caved in and it was AMAZING.  So now I'm off to the shops with my toddler to try to find some honeycomb ice cream topping and ice cream so we can make similar shakes at home.

I always crave sweet stuff when pregnant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.