Fluff - Anyone having a baby shower?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Beancat

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Just a bit of fluff for today.  It seems baby showers are back in vogue.  I have never had one and am not having one this time, but was just wondering if you are having one, can I ask the following:

Why are you having one? (ie a friend who who lives interstate had one with all of her melbourne friends when she was down visiting)

Do you do games like at a bridal shower?

Do you expect people to give you a present at the BS AND after the baby is born?

Do guests "bring a plate" or do you fully cater?

I am just curious - it helps me with "knowing the rules" when attending one original.gif

#2 Jenganoosh

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

I'm having a shower late Feb, hosted by my sister. I'm not overly fussed about the whole thing and said if they were going to have one for me, I wanted it very low key and don't go crazy - it's just an excuse to catchup with family/friends, and because my sister will only get to do it once (I didn't have one with DS1 as we lived in another city).

Not a fan of the games, but my sister wants to do the celebrity baby name game, which I don't mind ... 'eh, we'll see, they can be a bit corny and people have to be in the mood wacko.gif

I don't expect any pressies, nor do I need anything, but knowing my family they will bring presents, and I do always take a present to showers myself. But I haven't registered anywhere or anything like that. And I told my sister if people ask what I need/want, just say nappies/wipes/etc. And no, I never expect presents when baby is born either.

Some family/friends are bringing macaroons and cupcakes, and we will put on some finger foods and drinks. I typically offer to bring something when I attend one.

IMHO, my shower is just a morning tea catchup with family and friends who I haven't seen in a while, and my eggo just happens to be preggo original.gif

Edited by Jenganoosh, 31 January 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#3 Jo-Anna

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I'm not having one, despite everyone trying very hard to convince me otherwise.
At the moment I have relented to a mani/pedi and lunch catch up with my close girlfriends. It is more because I know I won't have time to catch up once the twins are born as most of them live 45 mins+ away.
I did have a low key one for DS. I said no presents but people brought them anyway. Some also bought more presents after DS was born but that was not at all expected. I think because DS was the first baby in my friendship group everyone went a little overboard! My sister hosted and provided most of the food.

As for the games, every baby shower I have been to has had them and I quite liked them. Often I don't know many of the other guest and i find it a good icebreaker.
To be honest, unless there is a good reason (ie missing out first time around), I wouldn't expect a baby shower after the first child. But that's just me.

#4 pisceschick

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

I had one with my DD, but not having one this time around.
I enjoyed mine and had had a rough pregnancy, so it was nice to celebrate. We only had a few games as I am not that keen on them. My mum and best mate would not have let me get away with not having one. They organised it. I have been more than happy over the years to attend engagements, weddings, baby showers etc, bearing gifts, so I also didn't mine people giving presents for our bub. It was great fun and a lovely thing to do for your first. But I didn't expect anyone to give presents after the bub arrived. Anything extra was just a nice gesture. I wouldn't do it for subsequent ones, but it was fun to have one. no one seems particularly interested when you are having bubs after you've had the first one, I have found!  wink.gif
Oh Jo-Anna, a mani/pedi sounds divine!

#5 RachealJane

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I had one for DD and honestly didn't think I'd have one for this bub, but I have a super close group of friends now that weren't around before I had DD and have offered to host a shower for this bub. Some of them have already said they can't wait to buy some little newborn stuff so I'm assuming there will be gifts.
Don't know about games etc but I would also assume there will be something because other then pressies it wouldn't be anything different from our normal weekly catch ups at each others houses as we always have tea and cake original.gif

For DDs one I planned it, bought all the food and set up all the games. I did it around 35 weeks. I was exhausted afterwards!

#6 nrwsn

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

I am having a baby shower original.gif
This is our first bub and everyone has been waiting years for us to have a baby.

I am not going to be planning/organising. My mum has asked if she can put something together for me - and 3 of my close friends have begged to throw one so Im letting them run wild. I told them that I do not want a big shower, I think that would be so overwhelming and tiring.... I will be 36 weeks by then.
Instead, I suggested a morning tea with my very closest friends and maybe we can play a couple of the cheesy games. I cant wait to sit down, relax and laugh, talk about birthing stories (most of them have babies) and have a few nibblies which will be supplied by us.

Following that, I have suggested we go to a venue for fingerfood and invite all of our friends and family. DH family - there are a lot of them... Im saying, there are 40 women who would come along and then I have our friends and my family, we are looking at about 70 people. That part of the shower is to keep everyone happy and not feel left out. We will also provide the food at the venue.

As for gifts, Im not sure how you would word it on the invitation, we have so many good condition hand-me-downs that we dont really need stuff. We want to have a dontation box for SIDs instead if people wish to donate. But I have a sneaky feeling that people will still bring something small.

For those who are having their second bub and still want to catch up with your friends, there is a cute way  instead of a Baby Shower, its a Baby Sprinkle biggrin.gif
The wording just shows people straight away that its going to be low key.  

People can be very funny about Baby Showers but I have grown up with everyone around me having one so it seems like its a pretty common thing to do these days?

Thought this was cute:
One small request that won’t be too hard, Please bring a book instead of a card. Whether Cat in the Hat or Old Mother Hubbard, you can sign the book with your thoughts in the cover. Your book will be cherished, well loved or brand new, but please don’t feel obliged, we will leave it up to you.

#7 Beancat

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

nrawson, love your idea with the book poem and the baby sprinkle for subsequent babies.  And Joanna the mani-pedi idea sounds fantastic original.gif

#8 Blossom73

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

I won't be having one this time around.

I had one with DS and while it was fun, I ended up having to do a lot of the organizing (seperate vent there involving SIL and friends) and it was stressful in the lead up. I had a lovely afternoon in the end, but we don't need much of anything this time, and my Mum lives overseas and honestly, I'd rather have her there.

If someone offered to arrange a lunch with girlfriends this time, or a mani/pedi I'd be fine with that original.gif

Edited by Blossom73, 31 January 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#9 starfire

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Lordy, I read this thread topic as ' Anyone having a baby in the shower?' laughing2.gif

Why are you having one?

I was ganged up upon on Boxing day and asked if I was having one by all of my relatives and when I said 'no, I am not having one as no one has offered and to be honest I can't be bothered' - they took it upon themselve to insist I do have one and SIL offered to organise it. So yes, I am having the 'dreaded' baby shower that others insist I want when I don't want one! But it will be small - I am only anticipating having 20 people (plus children) coming.

Do you do games like at a bridal shower?

You can do games, there are some cute game ideas if you google but I put my foot down and said NO GAMES when SIL asked. We will just have a nice lunch with family and talk about girly stuff and gory baby stuff. tongue.gif

I do plan on getting a blank journal and labelling it the 'Motherhood Survival Guide' and passing it around at the baby shower and getting people to write tips and stories and pearls of widsom that they wanted to share.

I am also getting a cardboard done up with the month calendar of May and June (I am due at the end of May so there is a chance I might have a June baby if this one decides she doesn't want to come out!) and getting people to guess what day she will be born. But that is all I think I will do as I don't want to go overboard.

Do you expect people to give you a present at the BS AND after the baby is born?

Good god no! I do have a wishlist but this was requested by the relatives so I have done this but with a disclaimer that I DO NOT expect gifts at all and no one is obliged to follow the list anyway. And I would be embarassed if someone did buy me a gift for the baby shower AND when the baby is born.

Do guests "bring a plate" or do you fully cater?

You can ask people to bring a plate if you want to keep it low budget. SIL asked me if I wanted to do this option but because we picked 1pm (lunch time) I took it upon myself to organise lunch as finger food didn't seem to cut it- I plan on just cutting up chicken and ham and serve it with bread rolls and a spread of salad along with some finger food such as fruit, cupcakes etc  along with doing up a punch and supplying softdrink and tea/coffee. I will be stalking for other food ideas though!

#10 Lettuce see

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I think baby showers are a fun catch up with all the girls of the family and close friends to celebrate the impending arrival. This will be the first grand baby for my parents and only the second for the DH side.
I think gifts are a given, I love buying/giving gifts to my family and friends for their BS's, and I know my side of the family are very excited to buy for baby.
The games are good for a laugh original.gif

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

I am having one.  My mum and sister and I think a few friends have lended a hand are orgainsing it.  There will most probably be games it is in the afternoon the weekend after I go on maternity leave so I have the next day to get over it! Mind you it will be my tea pots, tea cups, tier stands etc that are all used lol.

I don't expect presents from anyone before or afte the birth, however I know I will get some from a lot of people so I have a list with my mum with some things on it.  When I go to a baby shower I just half the amount I would spend afterwards.  So they might get two small things one at each time or 1 bigger thing at the birth.

#12 whisk_

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Last night my bestie told me she wants to throw me one. I hadn't planned on it - to be honest, I don't really have many friends and am wondering if anyone will turn up!  She's pretty adamant about it, that every girl needs a baby shower, so I'm thinking about it.  I am warming to the idea, but it will be a tiny gathering I would imagine!

#13 Beancat

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

whisk_ - enjoy your baby shower!

#14 greatwon2

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

I loathe being the centre of attention so have never had nor wanted one.

I've been to a couple tho and they seem to be pretty good fun if your into it.

The funnest game i remember playing was making play-dough babies , everyone got handed some play-dough and the persons whos looked most like a baby won a small prize.

As for gifts, if people want to buy you something for baby they will regardless of if you say don't lol so if you don't need anything and would rather not end up with stuff you might not use , I'd do what a pp suggested and ask for childrens books or something similar in lieu of other gifts

#15 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (Beancat @ 31/01/2013, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am just curious - it helps me with "knowing the rules" when attending one original.gif

The problem with knowing "the rules" is that the rules change from person to person and day to day so no matter how much you research these rituals you will inevitably make some huge gaffe, offend half the guests and become the subject of an EB vent ("I couldn't believe it! She brought a plate to her own baby shower!!!!!"). Be warned.

#16 Jenganoosh

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Had my lil' shower today original.gif

It was really nice and low key, less than 15, only went for a couple of hours. Amazing food (especially the wave+ship cake! -- theme was Ahoy, it's a boy!), corny games and cute-as pressies!!! Feeling the hheart.gif from family and friends!

My sis and Mum also made these which looked amazing in baby blue and white -- http://youtu.be/KEeG_tqHHj8

And my friend took some nice photos of DH, DS and I.

I hope anyone else having a shower soon has a fantastic time!

All we need now is our baby biggrin.gif 9-weeks and counting...

#17 starfire

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Jenganoosh - aww your baby shower sounds lovely! I am glad that it went well. I love the pom pom idea, that is adorable. Are you going to hang the pompoms in the baby's room?

I am still waiting for mine - it is not until mid March. I am getting a bit nervous about it now actually so I hope mine is low key like yours lol biggrin.gif

Did you hand out thank you gifts at the party or will you be doing thank you notes only? I am a bit confused about the equitte as it seems that some do give out gifts and some only give out personalised thank you notes after the shower.

#18 Jenganoosh

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

I was going to keep the pom poms, but our nursery is so itty bitty -- would probably look like a muppet exploded in there biggrin.gif So I gave the white ones to my sis who's little girl is turning 3 this weekend, and we'll make some pink ones to go with them for her party.

I was nervous too -- just being the centre of attention and what not, but it was actually OK, and everyone was just there to support me, so it was nice original.gif

I didn't do gifts (except a few little prizes for the games), and as far as thank-you notes, I use www.pingg.com for all my invites, and they automatically email everyone a thank-you after the party wink.gif Kinda cheating but works for me!

#19 starfire

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Jenganoosh - What a shame your nursery is tiny but I do sympathise as ours is the same. I have no idea where we will end up putting half of our baby's stuff once we accumulate more things over time! I am trying not to visualise all the toys later on down the track - I have already priced the trofast set up I want from Ikea lol wink.gif

Darn it, that is a great idea about the invites having an automatic thank you note sent out - I wish I knew about this lol! biggrin.gif

I am still stuck on gift ideas, I got some gift bags so will probably pop some chocolates in each bag with something else... (face mask and nailpolish? argh! can you tell I am still stuck!)  thank you notes will be sent out after the baby shower as I want to send out personalised ones.

My SIL and I went shopping this weekend to get things for the baby shower as it is getting closer. We got a lot of pink stuff lol biggrin.gif

Has anyone else had their baby shower yet?!?!

#20 countrychic29

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

I keep getting told Im having a baby shower, but have a couple of very close friends getting married in the few weeks..so struggling to find a date but we will get there original.gif
I went to one yesterday which was nice, im not really a games person but mum to be really enjoyed her day.
I must say i did see a friend had hers as a brunch at a fancy 5 hotel with just 10 ppl ... that is more my type of event, quiet but still special original.gif

#21 Beancat

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Starfire - ikea is great for toy storage.  We have the trofest system for our son and I love it.  We also have a couple of the expedit bookcases with the baskets, they are great.
TBH - the toys do my head in.  They are a MASSIVE part of my anxiety.  I get so annoyed that they pull them out for the sake of it and then play with them for 2 minutes and then move onto the next thing.  I also get p'ed off having to find all the bits and pieces they chuck everywhere that are part of sets.  Its really depressing trying to keep on top  of it when you are 7 months preg and cannot get down to pick it all up....oh and its too hot to play outside

Sorry -have gone off track - but definitely get your toy storage sorted sooner rather than later if you want to remain sane!

#22 starfire

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thanks Beancat biggrin.gif might have to look into it after I get my tax return back this year.

OP sorry for hijacking the baby shower thread! ph34r.gif

#23 strawberry blondes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

I had a surprise shower yesterday, all organised by my sister in law. I hate being the centre of attention and would never have thrown one for myself.
We played a few games which was fun, we had a lovely spread of food including a cake made by one of my very close friends which was amazing! Present opening and generally just a relaxing few hours catching up with family and friends.

#24 LittleC

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

This is interesting to me as I have a person on my FB that is organising one for herself. Started out as an 'at home' shower with a dress up theme, after people started accepting the invite it changed venue to a high tea at $52 a head. In the initial invite, a baby gift registry was given as well.

I think it's a bit much.

I've never been to one personally and I didn't have one with my first child so I don't have any personal experience.

#25 0201Wallejac

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

My DH convinced me to have a baby shower. This will be our first baby and he insisted as it may be the last time for a little while that I have dedicated time for all my dear friends and family before life changes (for the better of course wink.gif ). We both work in the hospitality industry so he is arranging it to be held at the hotel he works for. It will be a high tea and his shout (luckuly he gets a 25% discount as he's paying for the event which will be held in a private room for which we are getting for free i.e. no room hire cost thank goodness). I've invited just over 30 people but expect 20 - 25 to make it. One of my closest friends is even flying in from overseas to attend and I'm very grateful.
I created the invitations myself with the help of hotel stationery and one of my good friends will be arranging some games, specifically ones that keep people 'actively' involved so it's more engaging (i.e. Spit the Binky, Balloon Belly, Bottle Chugging and Diaper Designer). If you can afford it, having it externally (i.e. not at someone's house) will save us the stress of cleaning up after for all involved so more time to enjoy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.