help - induction with unfavourable cervix?
stressed. sorry, a bit long.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Marquise_*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Needing to tap into the vast EB reservoirs of experience and advice.

I'm 40 +5, and had a midwives' apt today, which was supposed to be for a stretch and sweep.
During the VE she discovered that baby had retreated up a bit from last check, and that she couldn't feel my cervix (which is what I assume she meant by 'unfavourable').

We discussed induction - and had just agreed that I would be induced at 42wks on the dot (after coming in for gel the night before) when she suddenly did a double-take about my age (I'm 39) and booked me in for an obs meeting on monday to discuss, suggesting that obs would want me to be induced earlier than that.

The thing is, baby is still quite high and cervix likely to still be unfavourable by them. I haven't read very much about the implications of this for an induction  - but what I have read seems to suggest that it leads to a much more painful, intervention-laden labour. Is this the case? I have a medical history of serious childhood (congenital) illness, and I have a high pain tolerance....but I know what I'm like when I'm in pain, and I need to move around. Not be tied around the belly, on my back. Not canulated if at all possible - I have terrible veins and it regularly taken drs 5 incredibly painful goes to get it in - and so I ma VERY VERY KEEN to avoid induction and the inevitable epidural etc which seems to follow.

How much worse does an unfavourable cervix make it? and how long have older mothers gone without an induction?

thanks for all advice......

#2 elizabethany

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

When I was induced, despite the drip, monitoring and such stuff, the hospital recommended I was not on my back anyway.  I chose to stay on the bed, but gave birth lying on my side.

#3 Corella

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'm not sure what your age has to do with an induction tbh.

How your cervix was today doesn't indicate how it will be tomorrow or in 8 or 9 days so I wouldn't stress. Perhaps look at some acupuncture though for ripening? Internal evening primrose oil? Acupressure?

#4 Guest_Marquise_*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

they are willing to let you go a full 2 weeks overdue if you are less than 35yrs, but only 9-10 days if over 35.
I've been acupuncturing away like a demon. Hope it helps!

tbh I'm more worried about the idea of inducing with an unfavourable cervix - that's the part that seems to be really bad, anecdotally.

#5 José

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

I was inducec with an unfavourable cervix at 41+1. Obs ordered double the amount of gel they would usually.  Midwife initially was unsure but after she took a look she felt more comfortable that the regular amount of gel just wasnt going to be enough.  Anyway the gel made contracrions start but I still had to have a drip later and bsby suctioned out with episiotomy.  I had hoped to give birth without epidural but I didn't.  So, I guess my experience can at least give you hope that the gel can start labour in someone with an unfavourable cervix.

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

OP the state of your cervix can change very quickly so an unfavorable one now may not be in a couple of days.
Everyone is different but there is no doubt that being induced with an unfavourable cervix does increase the chance of prolonged labour and intervention but of course not always.
Hopefully your body will prepare itself in good time.
Lots of good luck.

QUOTE (Corella @ 30/01/2013, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure what your age has to do with an induction tbh.

Because of the increased risk of SB with advanced maternal age.

#7 lucky 2

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hi OP,

I hope I've moved your topic into the right forum for you but I thought it best to move it out of the Breastfeeding forum.

I hope all goes well with your labour and birth.

Kind regards,

lucky 2

#8 Guest_Marquise_*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

jeez, how'd it get in there?

sorry - I am useless at technology......

#9 Guest_Marquise_*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

sonogran, do you think I should try to see the obs earlier than monday? To check cervix? or that something my shared care GP could do?

#10 ez21

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hi OP

I was induced at 40+5 and a couple of days before induction my Ob was able to reach my cervix and would have been able to break my waters.  When I was in hospital for the induction a few days later, the baby had moved back up and my cervix couldn't be reached to break waters (they told me that my cervix was unfavourable).  They put the gel in, which softened the cervix and things moved down a bit.  I was in hospital overnight with waters broken the next day (the gel work enough so that this could be done).  I was put on a drip an hour later as labour didn't progress on its own.

In terms of my labour experience with a drip, it was fine.  I laboured standing up, except for the last few minutes, which I spent on the bed.  I was able to walk around too.

The drip is turned up according to how you are progressing.  I was told that they try to mimic the natural progression of labour and if things are moving too quickly they will turn the drip back a bit.  My labour was quicker than my first (spontaneous) labour but I don't think it was any harder on my body.  The pain was much the same as my first labour.  Contractions were on top of each other at the end, but the midwife turned the drip back, which made things much better.  I didn't have any intervention and only used gas.

Overall, my experience was very positive and much the same as a spontaneous labour.  Also, please don't think that an epidural is inevitable if you are induced.  It's important to consider the possible outcomes but don't get carried away.  (I was only 31 for the birth of DS2).

Best of luck, try not to stress.

#11 Soontobegran

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Marquise @ 30/01/2013, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sonogran, do you think I should try to see the obs earlier than monday? To check cervix? or that something my shared care GP could do?

By Monday you'll be 41+3 so I would probably see your shared care GP earlier to perhaps arrange some monitoring for you?
If all looks well  with the baby and you're are well the Obstetrician may consider giving you a couple more days to 'ripen' but I would not wait until Monday without monitoring.
Lots of luck. original.gif

#12 Skoki

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hi. I am a similar age, and just had my first baby delivered after induction this month. Interventions are more common with inductions, and I also had to be cannulated (and I also hate cannulas) to deliver syntocin via a drip. The good news is though you will need to be monitored, they can use mobile monitors, so you can get up and move around as much as you need. I didn't have any other interventions and no pain relief. There is a risk to older mothers in going past 40/41 weeks, so suggest getting in to talk to your obstetrician as soon as you can to discuss and work out what you want to do.

#13 pinkyjim

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hi OP,

I've had 2 bubs and 2 inductions...

#1 with an unfavourable cervix (but i was only 38+3 & as I had a dinky placenta). To be honest it was quite horrid, mainly I feel due to my body not being ready, it took x4 lots of gel over 48 hours to ripen my cervix enough to break waters and get the drip going. Bub was posterior and another 24 hours later I reluctantly ended up with epidural, theatre & forceps. Awful.

#2 42 weeks and I had been doing EVERY natural induction method in the book (over and over and over again), but alas my cervix was still firm and closed on induction. This time it took 2 lots of gel to get things going and then no further intervention required. I had to be strapped to the monitor the entire time, but the labour was only 4 hours once it got going, and to be honest although it hurt like hell,  it was completely fabulous and the most amazing experience.  I was so nervous about interventions after my first birth I made sure I was well researched and well supported and had all my birth skills ready to go during the labour.

X2 inductions, X2 unfavourable cervix and x2 different labours. So I suppose the point of my story is you only have so much control,  and to a certain extent have to roll with process. Do everything you can to ripen your cervix now (evening primrose, sex, orgasms, acupuncture) see the OB monday, push for the last induction date you all feel comfortable with and if the induction date rolls around make sure you're prepared to labour! Control what you can. Have a labouring plan- TENS machine is AWESOME, especially if you can't hop in the shower/bath or move about lots.

Good luck OP, hope your bub finds its own way out.  (jeez mammoth post)

#14 Guest_Marquise_*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

thank you so much for replies.

I'm slightly freaked out that my midwife didn't think I needed to be monitored until monday apt.

#15 Soontobegran

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Marquise @ 30/01/2013, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thank you so much for replies.

I'm slightly freaked out that my midwife didn't think I needed to be monitored until monday apt.

Not everyone would recommend this Marquise it is just that whilst I'd be ok with 42 weeks in most women I am keen for the last week to be a monitored one.......just think it is best to be sure, especially if you are 'older' (sorry, you are young really) original.gif

#16 Guest_Marquise_*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

thanks. I feel like a very geriatric pregnant and worried woman tonight. sad.gif

But I *really* appreciate the advice, thank you.

#17 BubbleBird

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

I have had two wonderful gel inductions that started with an unfavorable cervix.

With my first I was induced with gel at 41.5 and was told that my cervix was unfavorable and that I would likely require more gel plus further intervention. As soon as the gel went on I stated getting mild period pains. Nothing bad at all, just there IYKWIM. About seven hours after being given the gel (I was back at home by this time because it was assumed that the one lot of gel would't do much for my unfavorable cervix) I went in to full blown labour. My contractions were one minute long coming every two minutes from the onset and I was holding my baby about 2.5 hours later. It was a full on but wonderful experience. I had no further intervention after that first lot of gel (no tears or stitches either).

With my second I was induced with gel at 41 weeks and again was told my cervix was unfavorable (and I believe that because getting the gel put on was excruciating). I began to get a bit of pain here and there following the gel. My Ob examined me about four hours after having the gel put on and I was still unfavorable. He came back an hour later thinking he would need to give me more gel. Though this time he found I was 4cm dilated. He broke my waters (because he was keen to get baby out ASAP as I had developed acute pre eclampsia). I went into full blown labour about 10 minutes later and delivered my baby about 1.5 hours later. This was another full on experience but again wonderful. All intervention free and tear free again.

Good luck OP. I like to share my positive story as I know induction gets a bad wrap most of the time.

PS I have always insisted on some monitoring towards the end of my first week going overdue. I just feel more comfortable doing that.

#18 Guest_Marquise_*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

thanks again.

anyone know if antenatal GPs can do VE or S&S? I've made an appointment to see mine tomorrow and I really didn't get much sleep (lol what's new) last night because I'm so worried.

#19 premmie_29weeks

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

My sil was induced and went on to have 30 minute labour from time of drip to baby. He started school today original.gif so intervention isn't necessarily a given. At 39 weeks I had an unfavourable cervix, still closed and high. My first son was born at 40 plus 2 at the time I was supposed to be discussing a potential induction with my ob. So things can change very quickly...try not to worry.

#20 premmie_29weeks

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I don't know about an s and a but I assume that most GP's can do ve's given they do routine Pap smears? And I'm sure it's something they would need to clear with Youren,art caregiver. Unless your doing some kind of shared care?

#21 Red nut

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

38 year old, was induced at 8-9 days over with a completely long and closed cervix. One dose of gel got me having contractions, waters broke overnight, cervix a bit slow to open so I ended up on the syntocinon drip the next day. No epidural required! Got to fully dilated and pushing, and unfortunately the lad's head was transverse, and he got stuck, but that I think is unrelated to the induction, which all seemed to work beautifully. It can happen with an unfavourable cervix, don't despair!

#22 Soontobegran

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Marquise @ 31/01/2013, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks again.

anyone know if antenatal GPs can do VE or S&S? I've made an appointment to see mine tomorrow and I really didn't get much sleep (lol what's new) last night because I'm so worried.

If you are doing shared care your GP must have done obstetrics so yes they are able to do VE's etc. original.gif
Please don't worry, if you are having plenty of movements then all is most likely fine. If you think your movements are reduced just forget your GP and go straight to the hospital you are delivering at.
Good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.