Asking someone else to assist in TT your child?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 EssentialBludger

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Need some advice on what to do here.

My boss rang me up and asked me to do 2 full days work tomorrow and Friday. She knew I wouldn't have a babysitter so organised her 17yo DD to look after my kids in exchange for me signing off on her community service hours. They have stayed with we before and all was fine.

However this time we are in the early days of TT. He's going OK, but still needs to be told (not asked) to go to the toilet, and still has a fair few accidents.

Is it reasonable to expect this of a 17yo? Especially as I'm not paying her? I don't really want to put him back in nappies and confuse him, but TT is gross when it's your own child, let alone someone elses!

Any advice appreciated!!

#2 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Ask her. Some people will mind, some won't give a patootie.

If she agrees, set out a plan for her to follow, and have lots of spares plus baggies for dealing with any potential mistakes.

#3 luke's mummu

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Does eh have any experience at all with kids ? If she doesn't  then No I probably wouldn't. I would put hi in nappies and have written instructions of how often his nappy has to be changed.

#4 erindiv

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

At 17 I wouldn't have minded. I'd as her just to be sure. Then if she did do it I'd give her a little something nice at the end of the day - a bit of money, or some chocolates or something.

#5 mibi

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

It would depend on how far along you are with the TT. I would probably put him in pull-ups with instructions on how often to ask or take to toilet. I think it would be wise to ask if the girl was comfortable with it also.

#6 mini mac

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Depends on the person. Just ask and you will get your answer.

If she said yes, a little present to say thanks, no matter how successful your child is, wouldn't go astray

#7 EssentialBludger

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I will ask her, but from experience she is very shy and polite and will tell me something is OK even if it's not. That's why I wanted some general opinions on if it would be horrible off not.

#8 **Xena**

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

I'd ask and as a PP said, buy her a little something as an extra thanks.

#9 ekbaby

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Is there likely to be a poo accident? Wee accidents I think most ppl can handle, poo is just for some special people. A friend offered to take DS for a kid-only play date when he was TT but I didn't feel right about the possibility of her having to clean him up- also just that I knew DSs signals/rhythms better, and I didn't want him to feel embarrassed or have a negative experience that might affect TT. My friend was lovely and said it wouldn't bother her at all. It was only during that first week that I was like that- when we were mostly staying close to home, thinking about all outings etc- he trained pretty quick. But during that first week I tried to focus on it and have a pretty regular boring week. Daycare staff I think are different be Suse they are used to doing it and are part of the child's usual circle of carers.

#10 erindiv

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

If she's the shy type then pull ups might be a good idea.

Even I hated the poo accidents sick.gif

#11 laridae

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

I don't think toilet training is any worse than changing nappies.  If you are worried put him in pullups or padded undies.

#12 Riotproof

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (laridae @ 30/01/2013, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think toilet training is any worse than changing nappies.

I think just give her the toilet times, and how to react to an accident. Even poo accidents undies are easier than nappies. And yes buy Her a pressie.

#13 Cat People

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

She is officially working if you're signing off on her community service so I don't think a present is necessary.  I agree with pp too; no worse than nappies so I think your request is reasonable.

#14 Greatmum

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

I am sure no 17 yr old would want to TT a child not their own.  Nappies would be waaaay easier.  How is TT easier it is lovely scraping the poo off the undies or picking the poo up off the floor.

#15 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I have a different opinion - she's essentially nannying for you - 2 full days is more than babysitting.   I'd only not go ahead if you think it might upset your child.

#16 EssentialBludger

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I find nappies much easier than TT, so I assumed most people did lol.

I just think putting him back in nappies for two full days would be so confusing to him, and we have worked so hard to get this far. He's 3.5, and up until 2 weeks ago, wouldn't go anywhere near the toilet.

Probably should have just said no to working.

#17 laridae

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Greatmum @ 30/01/2013, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am sure no 17 yr old would want to TT a child not their own.  Nappies would be waaaay easier.  How is TT easier it is lovely scraping the poo off the undies or picking the poo up off the floor.

I wiped one poo off the floor in the whole time I TT DD, and that was only half a poo, she didn't quite get to the potty on time, but finished off on it.  She took herself to the potty ok after that.  We had a few streaks on the undies - mainly from pulling up without wiping, and one or 2 in the undies.  Not really any different from poos in nappies (cloth nappies...)

Nappies however, I often cleaned up poo running down the leg.

TT was way easier...

#18 Holidayromp

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

At the end of the day you have been called in at work your son needs to stay on the right track with toilet training especially if it is going well.  The last thing you would do is put him back into nappies and undo all the hard work.

The 17yo is doing you a favour and you are doing the 17yo a favour and you are working at short notice so you are just going to have to explain straight up that you are in the process of toilet training and this is what needs to be done.

If you were not happy about it or worried you should have mentioned to your boss that your son is in the process of being toilet trained and there maybe accidents would her daughter be okay with that?  If not then you have no other option to stay at home given the fact you have been given very short notice to work.

Staying on track with toilet training is far more important than any job otherwise you are going to undo all the good things your son has done and your work getting him to that point not to mention confuse the hell out of the kid if he has to regress back to nappies due to no fault of his own.

#19 Escapin

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'd be more worried about the 17yo not cleaning up very well. I'd be leaving very clear instructions re floor/clothes/kid/couch in case of poo. TBH, she'll probably ask him every 5 minutes to avoid having to deal with any accidents.

#20 iwanttosleepin

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

i sent my DS1 with my sister's boyfriend (now husband) for a day not long after he was toilet trained.  I was kinda in a rush when I left him too and may have forgot the nitty gritty details of dealing with a just 2 year old in undies.

They handled it just fine.  only one accident all day! I had packed heaps of spare clothes and stuff.

My DS was very very verbal and would have been able to explain the situation very well though....

#21 Sail to the Moon

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Ask your boss to check how their daughter would feel about dealing with toilet training.

If she is comfortable with it, provide gloves, plenty of wipes and bags for wet/soiled clothes. Any dirty clothing can be bagged up for you to deal with.

#22 EssentialBludger

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

all was good, he didn't have a single accident. biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.