Hormonal 9yr old?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 peachpip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hello everyone,

Would love to hear from someone going through something similar.....   I have a 9yr old DD who in the 4th term last year started getting upset before school.   We have had countless discussions about what could be upsetting her....... discussed bulling, dislike of a teacher, friendships......you name it!!    
To which she always replied that it is nothing like that and that she is happy at school and that she just can't say why she gets upset because she doesn't know.

Anyway holidays came and I had my happy little girl back again and now Day 2 of school and we are back to it.......     She came out of school so happy yesterday, loves her teacher, is sitting next to her good friend from last year.  She was excited about what she was going to be doing in class today.

We had a happy morning, but by the time we got to school, the tears started, she didn't want me to leave her.......... and so it goes on.

Needless to say I left school this morning upset and have felt sick all day.....  Could this possibly be hormonal????  I am desperate for an answer

Anyone experienced this???????????
Thanks for reading. xx

#2 zoemonster

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yep, mine is similar.  Not sure why though.

Melinda

#3 Raisinette

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hi,

I have a 9.5 year old dd who started getting upset over the slightest little thing at the end of last year.  I never heard any reports of her being upset AT school and she was happy to go.

It was at home, if she was looked at the wrong way, if she thought the tone of my voice was a bit harsher than normal, the tears would start, she would run to her room and throw herself on the bed sobbing.

When I am doing something she will walk up behind me and hug me from behind and just stay there, she rubs against me and just seems to need to be close to me all of  a sudden.

Last Sunday night we were messing around on the lounge together, started with her poking me, me poking her back until we were tickling each other over a tiny little bell.  We were both laughing so hard and thought having lots of fun.  Next thing I know she jumps up screams at me "you hurt me" runs to her room, throws the bell across the room before slamming her door.  I was gobsmacked.   I went in and asked her what was wrong and she said I had scratched her, there was no mark so couldn't have been that hard and definitely not worthly of that reaction.

I have noticed she has developed little breast "buds" over the holidays so am thinking it is definitely hormonal!  

Hope that is the case with your DD.  Could she be feeling extra tired during school term and that is making her emotional too?

Good luck

So she sobbed for a while longer then came out of her room sat down and watched tv like nothing happened.

#4 zoemonster

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Yes mine has developed little breasts as well.  I am perhaps being too hard on her then......better give her some slack.

#5 sophiasmum

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

My 9 & 1/2 yr old has recently been moody & emotional. She is sprouting boobs & spotting on her undies, so I'm assuming it's hormones playing havoc.

#6 peachpip

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Thank you for your replies, it seems our Girls are all going through something similar.

Our week didn't improve much, with lots of tears and DD telling me over and over how much she is going to miss me and wants to come home with me......  so upsetting, but I am at least getting support from her teacher who says that she improves quickly after I leave.   DD says every afternoon that she had a happy day at school!    Fingers crossed it is a phase and will come to an end shortly.

DD has also started sprouting breasts like a few of you mentioned and has also got a few little pimples on her nose.  So there is no doubt that things are going on in her little body...

Raisinette - we have the same thing happen with DD, one minute we are all having fun, and the next minute something sets her off, with no warning at all.   Takes us all by surprise a lot of the time!    I am just waiting for the door slamming to start - I was a door slammer!!!   LOL.....

Thank you all for your comments, I appreciate them all. xx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.