Your schedule with school-aged children
for those working full-time

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aimless

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

I'm curious to know what full-time parents' morning and evening schedules are with their school-aged children, and was wondering if anyone would like to share.

How old are your children? What time do you wake up in the morning? How long does it take to get yourself and your family ready? How far do you drive to drop them off at school?

In the evenings, what time do you come home? Do you pick your kids up from school, or from an alternate care? Do you make dinner for the family? Homework? Sports activities? Making lunches? When do you finally sit down and relax after the kids have gone to bed?

How much time do you devote on the weekends for chores like vacuuming, mopping, etc? Are there any chores that you do at night after work?

How tired are you? Or do you feel like you're ok?

#2 bluecardigans

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

How old are your children? 4 & 12

What time do you wake up in the morning?  6

How long does it take to get yourself and your family ready? I usually leave 2hrs, but that includes time to fold some washing, sit down with a cup of coffee.  I can do it in 30 min if I have to.  

How far do you drive to drop them off at school?  Walk a few kms

In the evenings, what time do you come home? Home by 6:30pm

Do you pick your kids up from school, or from an alternate care? After school care/daycare

Do you make dinner for the family? Yes

Homework? Yes

Sports activities? Yes

Making lunches? In the morning

When do you finally sit down and relax after the kids have gone to bed? 7:30. They are usually both up until 8:30/9.

How much time do you devote on the weekends for chores like vacuuming, mopping, etc? A few hours.  every month or so I will do a big clean.

Are there any chores that you do at night after work? Washing, sweeping, mopping, tidying up toys

How tired are you? Or do you feel like you're ok? Ok most of the time.

Edited by Display anemone, 29 January 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#3 ~Bean~

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Aimless @ 29/01/2013, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious to know what full-time parents' morning and evening schedules are with their school-aged children, and was wondering if anyone would like to share.

How old are your children?  I have one child who is 8.

What time do you wake up in the morning? I wake at 6.00am most mornings.

How long does it take to get yourself and your family ready? It takes approximately an hour, although I let Bean sleep until 6.45am as she has her lunch ready the night before.

How far do you drive to drop them off at school?  I drop her 900m up the road to before school care at 730am

In the evenings, what time do you come home? I finish work at 3.15pm each day.

Do you pick your kids up from school, or from an alternate care?  It's a combination of picking up and her walking home

Do you make dinner for the family?  I cook dinner every night.

Homework? Bean completes her homework while having a snack in the afternoon.

Sports activities? Sports is karate 3 afternoons a week. She also is in the school band, which practices on wednesday afternoons.

Making lunches?  Made the night before.

When do you finally sit down and relax after the kids have gone to bed? I sit down at about 8.30 after karate, dinner and my own exercise time.

How much time do you devote on the weekends for chores like vacuuming, mopping, etc? Are there any chores that you do at night after work?  House work gets done on Friday evenings if I am not out. I don't like my weekend being consumed by housework, if possible.

How tired are you? Or do you feel like you're ok? I am tired, I am going to get tested for sleep disorders shortly, as it is affecting me at work. I do however, feel I am managing ok, my tiredness is beyond normal tired.

#4 Coffeegirl

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Ok. i've done this as both fulltime and parttime employee so here goes

How old are your children? 9 & 12

What time do you wake up in the morning? 7

How long does it take to get yourself and your family ready? I like an hour to an hour and a 1/2 (time for breakfast and a cup of coffee, start a load of laundry etc) but I can do it in 30 min if I have to.

How far do you drive to drop them off at school? Drive 10-15 minutes. Two drop offs and pick ups this year!

In the evenings, what time do you come home? FT. 5:30-6pm,  PT. 3:30pm

Do you pick your kids up from school, or from an alternate care? FT After school care.  PT I pick up or arrange another mum if I have to work back.

Homework? Yes

Sports activities? Yes - sometimes DS will go straight from school to a sport with a other mum.

Making lunches? In the morning, but we are going to trial the kids doing them, themselves in the evening this year.

When do you finally sit down and relax after the kids have gone to bed?  FT 7:30. PT 6:30-7, but I am still working a bit as I check orders and emails on my ipad infront of the telly.  Both are up until 8:30/9.

How much time do you devote on the weekends for chores like vacuuming, mopping, etc? A few hours. every month or so I will do a big clean.

Are there any chores that you do at night after work?   Kitchen & dishes, laundry (folding/ironing), quick sweep

How tired are you? Or do you feel like you're ok? When FT, I was pretty tired, but now PT, I'm back at the gym and feeling pretty good original.gif

I tend to use the timer on the wash machine a lot.  Load it in the morning and set it to start and finish just before I get home.  Then hang it out in the summer - depending on heat, it can be dry before bed or I'll take off in the mornining or next afternoon.  In the winter, I'll run the dryer after 10pm (cheaper original.gif )

#5 .Jerry.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

How old are your children? 7

What time do you wake up in the morning? 5

How long does it take to get yourself and your family ready? I get up, shower, eat breakfast, do any jobs needed and relax before 6.30am.  Then Molly and DP wake and I help get Molly ready.  I get her brekky and dress her.  I leave for work at between 7am and 7.15. By then Molly is dressed and eating brekky.  DP brings her to school (where I work).

How far do you drive to drop them off at school? Molly attends the school where I work.  DP drops her off.

In the evenings, what time do you come home? Home by 5pm usually, 5.30pm on Mondays.

Do you pick your kids up from school, or from an alternate care? Molly comes home with me.  Does after school activities Monday, hangs around at office Tuesday, DP picks her up Wed, Thurs, home with me Fri.

Do you make dinner for the family? Mon, Tues only - but I cheat.  I cook Sunday with leftovers for the next few days usually.  

Homework? Yes

Sports activities? No - only one at school once a week.

When do you finally sit down and relax after the kids have gone to bed? 7pm usually, sometimes earlier.

How much time do you devote on the weekends for chores like vacuuming, mopping, etc? I do the cleaning on Saturday morning - just an hour or two.

Are there any chores that you do at night after work? Loads of washing, picking up junk, but no proper cleaning.

How tired are you? Or do you feel like you're ok? Ok mostly, but exhausted by end of term.

#6 cesca

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I just started working full time again last week, after 10 years of part-time/SAHM stuff!  It's a whole new world out there, but fortunately it's all going very well so far.  original.gif

How old are your children?  9 and 10

What time do you wake up in the morning? 7 ish

How long does it take to get yourself and your family ready? An hour. I shower, dress, get my breakfast, surf the net (YES!), make lunches. Kids get up, get dressed, get their breakfast.  It's all pretty easy so far.

How far do you drive to drop them off at school? Don't drive.  We leave around 8.15am, walk to school (takes 15 - 20 mins).  I then either walk (20 mins) or bike (10 mins) to work, getting in to start at 9am.

In the evenings, what time do you come home? I finish work, pick the kids up from after school care (unless someone else has) and we walk home.  Get home by 6.

Do you pick your kids up from school, or from an alternate care? Tues, Wed, Thurs they're at after school care until 5.30.  Fridays their Dad picks them up, Mondays we have a teenager who picks them up and brings them home to hang out.

Do you make dinner for the family? Yes, every day at the moment, but I'm planning to spread it out amongst the family, as I don't want to do it all!

Homework? I guess so.  Haven't had that yet, so no routine set.  I guess I'll get them to do whatever is required after dinner.

Sports activities? Swimming at 5pm on the day the teenager brings them home.  Pool is over the road so the 9 year old can get herself there.

When do you finally sit down and relax after the kids have gone to bed? I'm always sitting down and relaxing.  It's my number one priority.  biggrin.gif

How much time do you devote on the weekends for chores like vacuuming, mopping, etc? Gah.  Just the bare basics.  Hate cleaning.  Half hour if that.  I'm currently trying to ignore all cleaning in the hopes that DH will get frustrated and do it all himself.  wink.gif   Besides, I work every second weekend (get time off in the week instead).

Are there any chores that you do at night after work? Just the dishes.  Sometimes.

How tired are you? It's only been a week so far, but it's fine.  I'm pretty laid back as a person so I'm hoping it will go smoothly.

#7 -*meh*-

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

I was full time but have cut back to part time now because we weren't coping... but i still work 5 days a week

How old are your children? 5 and 8 (8yr old with ASD)
What time do you wake up in the morning? children are up from 7ish, i am awake from that time and do computer/budget/bill things til 7.45 when i get up
How long does it take to get yourself and your family ready? boys are pretty good at getting themselves ready with reminders from me from the bedroom, it takes me about 20min to get up and ready to take them to school or about 40min if i prepare for work before taking them to school
How far do you drive to drop them off at school? about 5 minutes, or about 15/20 if we walk which we try to do most days

In the evenings, what time do you come home? i get home anywhere between 6 and 8.30pm
Do you pick your kids up from school, or from an alternate care? they go to oshc every day, generally exDP or DP do the pick ups
Do you make dinner for the family? some nights i do if i am home early enough, otherwise DP generally cooks, or the nights i work really late they have dinner with their dad
Homework? done at oshc
Sports activities? we do karate once a week which makes tuesdays a nightmare rush but DS2 loves it
Making lunches? in the morning
When do you finally sit down and relax after the kids have gone to bed? i try and do a general tidy after dinner such as loading the dish washer but after bed is MY time!

How much time do you devote on the weekends for chores like vacuuming, mopping, etc? Are there any chores that you do at night after work? generally one morning a weekend the boys and i do a house clean, but as we aren't home the house isn't usually to bad...

How tired are you? Or do you feel like you're ok? i was dead on my feet full time as we were up at 6 and gone by 7am, part time i am ok

#8 knittingkitten

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

How old are your children? 4 & 7.5

What time do you wake up in the morning? 7

How long does it take to get yourself and your family ready? An hour, less if necessary.

How far do you drive to drop them off at school? 5 minutes bus to daycare. Husband walks DD to school (5mins)

In the evenings, what time do you come home? DS and I are home by 5:45pm. Husband and DD home by 6.15

Do you pick your kids up from school, or from an alternate care? After school care/daycare

Homework? Yes

Sports activities? Grandparents take them to swim classes on Wed afternoon. Soccer on Saturday

When do you finally sit down and relax after the kids have gone to bed? 7:30-8pm.

How much time do you devote on the weekends for chores like vacuuming, mopping, etc? As little as I can get away with

Are there any chores that you do at night after work? Washing, pack dishwasher

How tired are you? Or do you feel like you're ok? Ok most of the time.

#9 Overtherainbow

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have 3 in primary school.

Our day starts at 6:30 and we all leave at 7:30.  Kids are with me at work before school and after school.  DH picks them up from me around 5 and starts cooking tea, I try to leave work by 6.  Leave at 5, two days for sports and work while kids are doing sport.

Kids do homework while at work.  I keep a fruit bowl on my desk and snacks in my cupboard for them.  I have a container with stationery for them too.

Washing is done throughout the week and things get tidied.  We have cleaning wipes in bathroom and use shower spray so keep on top of things during the week.

Weekend brings more sport and doing floors and catching up with any cleaning missed.  I usually work a half day on the weekend, more in busy times.  I also work once kids are in bed while dh tidies kitchen.

Lunches are done the night before.

DH and I work as a team.  His job is more set in hours with less overtime and more flex for attending school events which is great for him.  He does a lot at home.

I have a medical condition that increases fatigue and I tend to work 50-60 hour weeks so I do get exhausted.  I try and sleep in one weekend day.  I also have one day off per week where I work from home which gives me the chance to catch up on washing while I work.

Life is busy but manageable.  Kids do 3 sports and an instrument.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.