Not coping with work - pregnancy

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Satay Chicken

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

This is a part vent but also wondering how others cope?

So, I'm nearly 23 weeks pregnant - its been a pretty good pregnancy except for the exhaustion, its like nothing I have ever felt before, I feel like at 80 year old woman.

Anyway, work is really taking its toll - I commute 3 hours a day, that includes walking 4.5km's from buses to work and back.  I get to work at 8 and usually can get out at 5pm but I find the days just so long especially now I am getting bad back pain.  Right now, after a terrible day, I am so tired I have lost my voice and I feel like bursting into tears... I just don't know I how I am going to get through to the end of April like this...  I also don't really have any friends at work so spend most of my days in silence, this just makes it that much harder...

How do others cope with long days??  Maybe I am just a lightweight...  sad.gif

#2 flear

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Working and being pregnant is hard. I am 31 weeks FTM and some days are a struggle for me more than others.
Is there a way that you can talk to your boss about either reducing your hours or working from home for one day?
I had such bad morning sickness that for the first 20 odd weeks of my pregnancy I couldn't work 5 days a week and had to have a sick day once a week just to be able to function for the rest of them. Is this something that you could do also?
How helpful/understanding is your partner? Mine gave me foot/lower back massages every couple of days and that helped me cope better as well.

It does get easier though!! Or you just get more use to it original.gif

Good luck with everything.

#3 carriesshoes

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I just focused on my end of work date and aiming for it!  

Admittedly I finished up work 4 weeks before my due date, but one of the main reasons was that I don't have toilets on my floor at work.  Going up and down emergency exit stairs when you can't see your feet, you need to pee a millions times a day, and you can't hang on for too long, really got the better of me!

#4 feralstreak

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

You are a trooper Satay, that's a long commute!

I found the fatigue during pregnancy pretty bad. Towards the end I was falling asleep at work! I just hope I didn't snore!

Do you work at a desk / on a computer? I had bad back pain whilst pregnant. I talked to my manager and they organised a footstool, to ease pressure on my back.

I also had someone check the ergonomics of my work station and I ended up having the height of my desk and computer and the position of my mouse adjusted. I was also given a new ergonomic chair, which made a big difference. I don't know if that's possible where you work? Would it be worthwhile having a chat with your manager?

Go easy on yourself, it's hard yakka making a baby! Take as many breaks as you can and put your feet up as much as possible, although I know that's easier said than done.

#5 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

*hugs* that sounds so hard, especially with a long commute!

I'm only in the early stages of pregnancy, but bad morning sickness has made working a nightmare. I'm lucky I have an understanding boss.

What is your workplace like for employee benefits? Can you talk to someone (your manager, your boss or HR, depending on the size and structure of your organisation) about how to manage this?

Before you approach anyone though, try to have a solution in mind. For me, starting a bit later has helped a lot because it gives me more time to rest in the morning.

Changing hours, going part time, working from home, or organising a temporary parking spot at the office to make your commute easier are a few potential solutions, obviously depending on your job situation.

When you talk to them, try to be clear and assertive. The current situation isn't working, and it is in their best interests to keep you since you are already trained in the job and (assumedly) plan to come back after maternity leave, meaning that long term they will retain someone they have invested in.

It is also in their best interests to ensure that you are able to be fully productive when you are at work, which in your current situation you are not - so highlight the benefits for them, and what you are willing to do to make it work for both you and your employer.

#6 Bunsen the feral

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

That's a hell of a commute! I was travelling about an hour each way when pregnant with DS1 including a 1km uphill walk from the station. I arranged with a colleague that she would drop me at the station at the end of the day and in the morning I called the office to see if any one was heading out to do a coffee run and could they pick me up on the way! I figured if you don't ask you don't get - meant that most days I didn't have to walk both ways, I did have to shout a lot of coffees tho!

Towards the end (SPD and a 4.75kg baby do not make for happy walking) it was too much so I finished up early - about 6 weeks before my due date.

My abiding memory of that time is walking in the door each evening, throwing my bra on the floor and crawling into bed, DH would bring me dinner in bed, I was exhausted!

#7 MrsLexiK

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Oh Satay, I have a similar commute to you but without the walk.  I am in my car so that bit is much easier I feel (and with the holiday traffic still I am normally only averaging an 1 at the moment, getting to work at 8.45 and home by 6pm.  I suspect in t he next few weeks that will go out to 6.30 though.  

I started training the girl who was taking over my position on the 3rd Dec, she informed me after I had wasted basically Dec and Jan that this was not the job for her (this is after talking to her in Dec raising some points and me saying "are you sure this is right for you" and her nodding and saying yes of course it is I just take a bit to get used to things)

So now as opposed to just deligating working and keeping an eye on work, I will have to start training another person to take on my job again I hate training it is so stressful!

#8 deedee15

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Wow, that commute is impressive, as others have said, see if you can either reduce your hours or start working from home if it is possible.
Otherwise can you stay somewhere a bit closer for one or two nights a week?

#9 Natttmumm

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I feel for you. The exhaustion is tough. I finished up at 33 weeks. I couldn't do anymore

#10 envs

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (deedee15 @ 29/01/2013, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, that commute is impressive, as others have said, see if you can either reduce your hours or start working from home if it is possible.
Otherwise can you stay somewhere a bit closer for one or two nights a week?

This.

My folks were close by, and especially when they wree taking care of DS whilst I was at work, I was too exhausted to drive home, DH often worked late or away, so I just had spare clothes at my folks' and stayed there when I needed to

#11 Duck-o-lah

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

I've just come home from work sick and I must say I'm relieved to read that there are so many other ladies in the same boat, I feel soft for taking the arvo off sad.gif

Sorry OP, I don't have any more suggestions to add to pp's advice. I would definitely let your employer know you are struggling and see if you can come up with a mutual solution.

Also just wanted to sympathise original.gif I'm 30 weeks and work is getting really difficult. I just keep focusing on the end date and keeping my countdown going... 29 days to go!

#12 lozoodle

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Work is seriously starting to take its toll, im so over it. The only saving grace is my hours, i work 7-2. But the two hours a day commute is sh*t.

Roll on feb 15!!'

#13 elizabethany

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

I would have a chat with your collegues, and see if anyone drives who can pick you up at the station and bring you back.  Reducing the amount you walk will help a lot with the tiredness.

#14 seaside_feral

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Work is exhausting during pregnancy.... I'm finding I get so tired these days & I don't have to commute like you do. I have commuted in the past before I was pregnant & even then it was very tiring.

Would you possibly be able to work from home one or two days a week? Or do you have friends or relaties closer to your work who you could possibly stay with once or twice a week?

I find drinking plenty of water & also getting up & walking around during the day help me to feel less tired too.

Good luck OP, hope you feel better soon!!

#15 Lauren Bell

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Oh my gosh you poor thing :-( pregnancy is really hard.

Hang in there.. April isn't that far away, then you'll be home with your new baby :-)

I did cleaning in a hot summer for my ENTIRE pregnancy. Up til a week before, I'm small an had a massive bump and terrible MS the whole time. Work involved walking around all day in sweltering heat, carrying massive bags full of cleaning stuff up thousands of stairs, vacuuming and making beds all day... I did it because I knew It wasn't gonna last much longer and I just needed to get through a few months, it was all over before I knew it and I got paid parental leave and was able to have four months off. Good luck <3

#16 MummaBirdy

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

You poor thing, it is exhausting being pregnant and woeking long days, let alone all that travel. I am only 15 weeks pregnant at the moment but am not coping at all.
I've got a really stressful job and after I get home to look after DD and put her to bed I then have to get back online and keep working. It's a little better now I have actually told people at work that I'm pregnant, but I've been so sick at night and exhausted and stressed during the day, and have no idea how I'm possibly going to make it to the end of this pregnancy!
And I keep needing to remind myself that it's not all over when the baby comes, it's only the beginning!
Financially it will be difficult for me to take 4 weeks off prior to the birth but physically, emotionally, and for the sake of my relationships with dH and DD, I think I need some non work time before the baby arrives.
I'm sorry I haven't helped at all but i felt the pain and exhaustion in your post and wanted to share my same feelings and let you know you're not alone in this work/pregnancy struggle! Wishing you all the best.

Edited by MummaBirdy, 29 January 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#17 Koobie83

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

I can totally relate. But mine has more to do with the stress of my work rather than exhaustion. I'm so unbelievably over it. I have 9 weeks left before I start maternity leave but everyday I just can't be a$$ed with it anymore. I just don't care. Like if someone wants something done I just don't care. And this is weird for me. I'm usually so on top of my work but now I just don't care anymore.

#18 Satay Chicken

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

MissBB - Far out... that must have taken so much out of you  blink.gif

Thanks though, good to know others are over it too!  My work is pretty good, I actually slept in this morning and have only just come into work now, my boss was fine about that and he has already mentioned that the baby is much more important than my job - he's been good.

I spose I get a bit of pressure elsewhere in my office, there are girls here who worked to 2 weeks pre birth, waddling around - they stuck it out for their job!!  Thing is they were in their very early 30's, I'm 37 - makes a bit of a difference.

DH also saw how tired I was last night and is now going to try and pick me up from the bus stop rather than walking home - that will help heaps...

So, going to keep my eye on the prize....  happy.gif

#19 BeccaBoo88

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Just adding that you aren't alone.

For my it was (well, is) the commute plus terrible co-workers making my life hard. I agree with people when they say focus on the end date (Feb 8th is like my own version of Christmas right now!). You say you're 37 and the other girls worked the whole way through... but who cares?? I'm 24, fit and healthy and have only gained about 9kg so far but I'm taking 6 weeks prior to my EDD. I'm not comparing myself to anyone else. They may not take the time, but for me it's important. Let them waddle around and push themselves to the end, but remember every pregnancy is different.

As for the pain, agree with PP about getting it checked out by a professional to see if you can make adjustments. It sounds like you have a great boss, so this shouldn't be too difficult to request.

Silent days. I can relate to this also. Download your favourite podcasts (or try out some new ones) and listen to them while you work. Turn on a radio. Email a friend every few hours.

Hoping things get better for you. original.gif

#20 SophieBear

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

I am 28w4d (but who's counting  rolleyes.gif  laughing2.gif) and honestly CBF going to work, I'm tired. I just want to sleeeppp!! I'm finishing up at 36 weeks because I know I'll be exhausted by then.

It takes me 20 mins to get to work and I have a low stress workplace at a desk and a little bit of driving to meet customers but I've pulled that back.

I have no idea how you're doing it! Please don't push yourself so hard. Are you able to get a taxi for that walk? That's full on! Especially in summer.

On my iPhone I have an app called countdown. It's 1 month 3 weeks 1 day and 8 hours until I finish up... or 40 working days (including today). If you count them down it'll seem like less!

Bring on the 22nd of March!!! (my last day!)

#21 janie1105

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Just a quick note: good for you for working so hard with a long commute.  I used to nap on my lunch break.  A half hour sleep would do me the world of good.

#22 Koobie83

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (BeccaBoo88 @ 30/01/2013, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You say you're 37 and the other girls worked the whole way through... but who cares?? I'm 24, fit and healthy and have only gained about 9kg so far but I'm taking 6 weeks prior to my EDD. I'm not comparing myself to anyone else. They may not take the time, but for me it's important. Let them waddle around and push themselves to the end, but remember every pregnancy is different.

Exactly. I'm taking 4 weeks off prior to EDD and that's because I just can't take it anymore. Even then my team leader sorted of wanted me to keep working up to the 2 week before EDD because she did and everyone else seems to these days, but you know I'm tired, stressed and over it already and if I could I would go on maternity leave now. So 4 weeks I think is a good time to just relax and get ready. There's more important things in life than work I reckon!

#23 mrs_tee

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I hear you OP, the commute is a killer!  I spend at least 3 hours a day in the car getting to and from work, I spend all day at a desk, and I also have a tail bone injury which makes sitting for any length of time unbearable! I find getting up and going for a walk (even just to the bathroom or down the corridor) helps with back pain and tightness.  I try to take the dog for a walk if I get home early enough in the evenings too.

I'm lucky I work for a small practice with a very understanding boss who does whatever they can to make life easier for the staff.  I already work from home one day a week, and if I'm feeling up to it might even work from home after I finish up in the office 4 weeks before my EDD (mainly due to the commute - I don't want to be going into labour so far from home if I can help it!). If not, thats ok too, I haven't had a lot of free time to organise things for when the baby arrives like setting up the nursery or going shopping for things we still need so that should give me a chance to get things done provided the baby doesn't come early  smile1.gif

My best advice is to just talk to whoever you need to at work to see what can be done to make things a bit easier for your self.  As a PP suggested, have some ideas in mind of what you would like, then sit down and negotiate something.  I had a friend who quit a great job about half way through her first pregnancy because she was too tired - without ever trying to negotiate anything to make things easier for herself wacko.gif  

As for me, counting down the days until that final one is a great way to push through at 3pm when all I want to do is lie down and have someone wait on me with food and massage my feet  biggrin.gif

#24 countrychic29

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Satay Chicken, i hear you ... 23 weeks here and although i dont do the 3 hour commute .. mine is only 2. Im over work, i'm over the stress and got insanely jealous while catching up with my cousins wife who goes on maternity leave on friday (ok so she is 35weeks)  biggrin.gif
The only thing getting me through is counting down the days until May - however we need the money so will probably only have 2 full weeks off and work 3-4 days a week from home in the last 6 weeks.

talk to your employer about how they can make it easier for you, you are more valuable to them working from home or cutting your hours so you can cope rather than quitting in a fit of tears (the thought has also crossed my mind)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

In a bizarre bid for relevancy, Former Opposition leader Mark Latham has deduced that because one female journalist had this week light-heartedly thanked antidepressants and caffeine for getting her through a medical degree while raising two small children, that ergo, all 'inner-city feminists' are selfish harridans who despise their offspring.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Duchess's letter to grieving mum

The Duchess of Cambridge has written to a grieving mum on a "very difficult" day.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.