Jump to content
4 replies to this topic
Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:09 PM
Im sick of eating the same meals every night, and Im wanting to try new things and cook from scratch again like I used to before life took over.
So ladies hit me with your best/favourite recipes.
Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:45 PM
My fav is Chicken & Mushroom risotto!!
Heat in a saucepan 4 cups of chicken (or vegetable) stock and 4 cups of water. (you are going to add this to the rice. The rice cooks faster if the water is already at boiling temperature)
Cook diced chicken (I use 2 breasts) in a little bit of butter. Once cooked take out of pan.
Using same pan add 1 diced onion and a little bit more butter, cook for 3-4 mins. Add 1 and a half cups of Alborio Rice and stir around to coat it.
Start adding stock/water mix a ladle spoon or two at a time until rice is cooked. (should take 10 mins?)
Once cooked add the chicken back in and 12 mushrooms sliced and add a handful of shaved parmesan.
cook 1 diced onion and a heaped teaspoon of garlic in a pan and cook for 3-4 mins. Add 500g of minced beef, cook till brown.
Add 1 container of tomato paste and coat all of meat. Added 1 can of diced tomatoes and stir. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of beef stock and 2 bay leaves. Bring to boil and then simmer until all the stock is absorbed!
Eat with some yummy pasta and a little parmesan!!
Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:03 PM
I've been making Greek salad with lamb chops a lot lately. It's filling and feels healthy.
The chops are marinated in lemon, evoo, dried oregano and crushed garlic and then grilled or BBQ'd.
The salad has all the usual suspects: tomato, cucumber, cos, olives, feta and avo, and dressed with similar flavours to the marinade.
Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:22 PM
Just thinking about some of the things my children really look forward to (and make regular requests for) are:
- Homemade chicken schnitzels (the breast is basically filleted into 2 thinner pieces of chicken using a really sharp knife, dipped in egg then bread crumbs and baked in the oven on grease proof paper with olive oil). I serve with a homemade Caesar salad. They go mad for this.
- Lamb cutlets (only when they're on special) or the cheaper lamb leg steaks. I pan fry them in garlic, olive oil and fresh rosemary. Serve with wok tossed small chunks of potato (with the skins left on), fresh beans and julienne carrots. Another favourite.
- Roasts of course - favourites are roast beef & yorkshire puddings, roast lamb. I always use the leftover meat for a cottage or shepherd's pie.
- Cold ham (has to be good quality free-range ham on the bone). Served with mashed potato with shaved Parmesan mashed through and steamed cabbage and/or peas.
- Corned beef - slow cooked in balsamic vinegar, onion, carrot and flat leaf parsley. I will serve this with roasted/smashed spuds in garlic, roast carrots and steamed beans. I make a dijon mustard sauce with Parmesan cheese added (the sauce is basically a white sauce with the additions of the mustard and cheese). Or, they love it with roast/smashed spuds and coleslaw.
- Pick plate - cold meats (salami, ham, cold chicken etc.) with cucumber, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado slices, cheese, sundried tomatoes, carrot sticks, celery sticks ... basically anything raw/easy.
- Beef strog. Our favourite is beef stroganoff cannelloni. I chop the chuck steak more fine than I would for a traditional strog. Roll the strog up in the cannelloni sheets you buy in the deli section. Lay in a baking tray, pour some of the leftover sauce over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese - absolute winner. Or, just the traditional style and serve with mash.
- You can't go past 'toasty' night. We love ham, cheese & pineapple pan fried toasties, or ham, cheese and chutney. (I hate toasted sandwich makers, they're so much better pan fried).
- While boring, we love casseroles topped with cheesy dumplings, bangers & mash and I make my own tomato/balsamic chutney, or homemade pizza's cooked on the BBQ with the hood down (they taste like wood fired pizza's), everyone loves building their own. I make the bases enough for one person (about a small size that you would get from a commercial pizza seller).
Hope this helps.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users
We've all done some pretty radical things after a big break-up, but Kourtney Kardashian has gone one better.
A new study has shown that babies may actually be able to hear from as early as 16 weeks – 10 weeks earlier than was commonly thought.
Women who want to stave off aches and pains in pregnancy should exercise regularly before they conceive, experts say.
A stand-up comedian in the UK has plenty of new material since becoming a dad to twin boys.
Dinosaurs are one of those classic childhood crazes. We've put together a host of products for dinosaur-mad parents, babies and toddlers.
A mum was left upset by a note from neighbouring diners saying her screaming baby had ruined their dinner.
When a man posted a selfie with a co-worker's son to Facebook, it became a magnet for racist comments.
Five new mums will join the Essential Baby Test Drive Team and discover great new baby toys from Fisher-Price & write a review to be published on Essential Baby.
Opulent rest time is becoming the gold standard in postpartum recovery, inspired by a Chinese confinement custom known as "sitting the month".
We all like to think that we make our choices in fair, reasoned and well-thought out ways. Not many of us would admit that we allowed the media to influence us in our life choices.
A woman who flew from Boston to Washington says staff with United Airlines at Washington's Dulles Airport suggested she pump her breast milk in the pet-relief area.
An Australian woman living in the US collapsed and died while feeding her baby, who then choked to death on his food.
Anxiety took over Robyn Read's life to such an extent she could not even buy the groceries and felt suicidal.
Two young boys have been rushed to hospital after falling out a second-storey window of a home in Eastwood.
An Indian woman has given birth to a baby boy weighing a whopping 5.97kg, setting a new record for the country's heaviest baby.
Finding out you’re going to be a grandmother can be a very emotional moment. Finding out that you’re a grandmother and the baby is already here is just out of this world.
Many mamas are wearing Saltwater Sandals - why not buy them for your babies and toddlers too?
Whether you're pregnant, already a mum, or are just trying to be a bit more healthy, there are ways to use the rejuvenating season to give yourself a boost.
Top 5 Articles
Fashion designer Stella McCartney has honoured her late mum, Linda McCartney, by designing a special bra for post-mastectomy patients.
Mark Harris has helped deliver 500 babies. And he's now telling fathers what to expect.
Being a calm parent takes a lot of work, sometimes more than is obvious to those around us.
It's cool, kind of like a second childhood. I love him to bits and think, on average, I'm an okay dad. But I also want to talk about the other stuff.
He may have only lived for 100 minutes, but that didn't stop baby Teddy from saving the lives of others.
A haunting reminder to stay mindful about babies in cars, especially as we approach summer.
Tongue-tie can cause feeding problems. However once it is diagnosed, the condition can be easily treated.
Some people move frequently, while others like to stay put. But everyone finds it stressful.
The birth of her first child should have been happiest of times for Campsie mother Phuong Cao, but friends say it marked the beginning of when her life began to unravel.
It was an experiment doomed to failure - they were looking for male cells in female bodies. And their search was stunningly successful.
A gorgeous photo series shows babies in the first hours after their birth - as they were positioned in the womb.
We don't know what he's saying, but this baby has a very clear message for his bulldog pal: let's walk - NOW.
Without a doubt, one of the best gifts for a toddler turning two or three is a play kitchen.
With a few simple tips you can take your images from random happy snaps to lovely clean images that create beautiful lasting memories.
Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration