Jump to content
4 replies to this topic
Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:09 PM
Im sick of eating the same meals every night, and Im wanting to try new things and cook from scratch again like I used to before life took over.
So ladies hit me with your best/favourite recipes.
Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:45 PM
My fav is Chicken & Mushroom risotto!!
Heat in a saucepan 4 cups of chicken (or vegetable) stock and 4 cups of water. (you are going to add this to the rice. The rice cooks faster if the water is already at boiling temperature)
Cook diced chicken (I use 2 breasts) in a little bit of butter. Once cooked take out of pan.
Using same pan add 1 diced onion and a little bit more butter, cook for 3-4 mins. Add 1 and a half cups of Alborio Rice and stir around to coat it.
Start adding stock/water mix a ladle spoon or two at a time until rice is cooked. (should take 10 mins?)
Once cooked add the chicken back in and 12 mushrooms sliced and add a handful of shaved parmesan.
cook 1 diced onion and a heaped teaspoon of garlic in a pan and cook for 3-4 mins. Add 500g of minced beef, cook till brown.
Add 1 container of tomato paste and coat all of meat. Added 1 can of diced tomatoes and stir. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of beef stock and 2 bay leaves. Bring to boil and then simmer until all the stock is absorbed!
Eat with some yummy pasta and a little parmesan!!
Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:03 PM
I've been making Greek salad with lamb chops a lot lately. It's filling and feels healthy.
The chops are marinated in lemon, evoo, dried oregano and crushed garlic and then grilled or BBQ'd.
The salad has all the usual suspects: tomato, cucumber, cos, olives, feta and avo, and dressed with similar flavours to the marinade.
Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:22 PM
Just thinking about some of the things my children really look forward to (and make regular requests for) are:
- Homemade chicken schnitzels (the breast is basically filleted into 2 thinner pieces of chicken using a really sharp knife, dipped in egg then bread crumbs and baked in the oven on grease proof paper with olive oil). I serve with a homemade Caesar salad. They go mad for this.
- Lamb cutlets (only when they're on special) or the cheaper lamb leg steaks. I pan fry them in garlic, olive oil and fresh rosemary. Serve with wok tossed small chunks of potato (with the skins left on), fresh beans and julienne carrots. Another favourite.
- Roasts of course - favourites are roast beef & yorkshire puddings, roast lamb. I always use the leftover meat for a cottage or shepherd's pie.
- Cold ham (has to be good quality free-range ham on the bone). Served with mashed potato with shaved Parmesan mashed through and steamed cabbage and/or peas.
- Corned beef - slow cooked in balsamic vinegar, onion, carrot and flat leaf parsley. I will serve this with roasted/smashed spuds in garlic, roast carrots and steamed beans. I make a dijon mustard sauce with Parmesan cheese added (the sauce is basically a white sauce with the additions of the mustard and cheese). Or, they love it with roast/smashed spuds and coleslaw.
- Pick plate - cold meats (salami, ham, cold chicken etc.) with cucumber, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado slices, cheese, sundried tomatoes, carrot sticks, celery sticks ... basically anything raw/easy.
- Beef strog. Our favourite is beef stroganoff cannelloni. I chop the chuck steak more fine than I would for a traditional strog. Roll the strog up in the cannelloni sheets you buy in the deli section. Lay in a baking tray, pour some of the leftover sauce over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese - absolute winner. Or, just the traditional style and serve with mash.
- You can't go past 'toasty' night. We love ham, cheese & pineapple pan fried toasties, or ham, cheese and chutney. (I hate toasted sandwich makers, they're so much better pan fried).
- While boring, we love casseroles topped with cheesy dumplings, bangers & mash and I make my own tomato/balsamic chutney, or homemade pizza's cooked on the BBQ with the hood down (they taste like wood fired pizza's), everyone loves building their own. I make the bases enough for one person (about a small size that you would get from a commercial pizza seller).
Hope this helps.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Kelly Clarkson has shown off the first photos of her son, Remington Alexander Blackstock.
Birth is an unpredictable, mysterious process that intrigues us all, and there is a lot of misinformation out there.
A US mother has been shot by her toddler while driving on a highway in Wisconsin.
The seven-minute-work out is old news. Research shows the effectiveness of going hell-for-leather for just one minute.
Pregnant woman in country Australia will help Adelaide researchers figure out why cases of type 1 diabetes have doubled over the past two decades.
It's the perfect solution to combat those toddler meltdowns when they no longer want to be in a pram but can't walk long distances.
A pit bull mix that fatally bit a 3-day-old infant last week has been euthanised, authorities said.
While meeting with a lactation consultant can make an enormous difference to a new mother, it's not a service that is available through the public health system.
Members of a popular forum are fiercely debating whether it is acceptable to dislike a friend's child.
A pregnant woman who unexpectedly gave birth on a flight has named her new baby after the airline, Jetstar.
Children living in foster care can feel like their future is less than clear. But that uncertainty disappears the day they are adopted by their "forever family"
When the cramps started to kick in, Klara Dollan just assumed a painful period was starting.
Kerryn has a unusual present planned for daughter Imi's 13th birthday celebrations - she hopes to be able to be able to give the soon-to-be the teenager her first ever photo of her dad.
Our houses are cleaner than ever before. But how clean is too clean? Could a sterile home be putting your family's health at risk?
Here's a puzzle that grows with them; the Puzzle Grow Pack by Millions of Monkeys.
If you grew up in the 90s you might want to look to the genre of Britpop music for baby name inspiration.
When you catch a bug that causes acute infectious gastroenteritis (gastro), your stomach and intestinal tract become inflamed, causing diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping and pain. The last thing you probably feel like doing is eating.
Would I have survived if I hadn't crossed that street?
Caitlin is a firm believer in the importance of immunisation to protect children from harmful and deadly diseases.
There is no make-up or special outfits and hairdos, but the five-year-old boy who took this picture captured the essence of motherhood as well as any professional photographer.
Studies have shown that infants in the first months of life try to avoid dealing with social wrongdoers - for example, sharing less with them and helping them less - and they expect others to, too.
Top 5 Articles
Bethani Webb was excited to find out she was pregnant, but the first time mum did not realise she was carrying four babies not one.
A Sydney cafe is offering breastfeeding mums free cups of tea in a bid to show support for the right of women to nurse their babies wherever they choose.
Jamie Oliver, who considered a vasectomy, is to be a father again. A fellow dad reflects on his own decision 11 years ago
To everyone's surprise, Kristen Miller "kept doing better each day", keeping her second baby safe.
Before my son was born I was given a lovely baby book full of blank pages waiting to be filled with weights and heights and first words.
There is no doubt seeing their child smile for the first time is an unforgettable moment for parents everywhere.
When Alison Johnson put her 18-month-old Caleb down for a nap, she had no reason to believe her son was in any danger.
All my panic and tears aside, my biggest question looking back is about the kind of security measures used in the maternity ward.
Everyone who visits a mum in hospital in the days following childbirth wants to get a photo with the new baby.
Finally, there's a way to keep warm while breastfeeding through winter.
What to do with this information? My advice would be to try not to think about it during the throes of passion.
From niplash to tight boobs, biting to milk supply issues, Pinky McKay looks at common breastfeeding issues and how to solve them.
Six months on we're all still alive, and the more we get to know each other the easier the days become.
Kirsty Carrington thought nothing of giving her newborn son a kiss, little did she know it would leave the baby fighting for life.
After children, 'me time' looks a little different.
A stroller can make or break travelling with a baby or toddler. Here are 15 great single travel stroller options.
It always pays to remind yourself of how terrific toddlers can be - they're little like this for such a short time
This is the comp for you! We have $800 worth of Myer gift cards and boxes of Australian Bananas to be won. Entry is simple: just post a pic of your little one enjoying a banana in the comments of the FB post to enter.