Jump to content
4 replies to this topic
Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:09 PM
Im sick of eating the same meals every night, and Im wanting to try new things and cook from scratch again like I used to before life took over.
So ladies hit me with your best/favourite recipes.
Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:45 PM
My fav is Chicken & Mushroom risotto!!
Heat in a saucepan 4 cups of chicken (or vegetable) stock and 4 cups of water. (you are going to add this to the rice. The rice cooks faster if the water is already at boiling temperature)
Cook diced chicken (I use 2 breasts) in a little bit of butter. Once cooked take out of pan.
Using same pan add 1 diced onion and a little bit more butter, cook for 3-4 mins. Add 1 and a half cups of Alborio Rice and stir around to coat it.
Start adding stock/water mix a ladle spoon or two at a time until rice is cooked. (should take 10 mins?)
Once cooked add the chicken back in and 12 mushrooms sliced and add a handful of shaved parmesan.
cook 1 diced onion and a heaped teaspoon of garlic in a pan and cook for 3-4 mins. Add 500g of minced beef, cook till brown.
Add 1 container of tomato paste and coat all of meat. Added 1 can of diced tomatoes and stir. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of beef stock and 2 bay leaves. Bring to boil and then simmer until all the stock is absorbed!
Eat with some yummy pasta and a little parmesan!!
Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:03 PM
I've been making Greek salad with lamb chops a lot lately. It's filling and feels healthy.
The chops are marinated in lemon, evoo, dried oregano and crushed garlic and then grilled or BBQ'd.
The salad has all the usual suspects: tomato, cucumber, cos, olives, feta and avo, and dressed with similar flavours to the marinade.
Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:22 PM
Just thinking about some of the things my children really look forward to (and make regular requests for) are:
- Homemade chicken schnitzels (the breast is basically filleted into 2 thinner pieces of chicken using a really sharp knife, dipped in egg then bread crumbs and baked in the oven on grease proof paper with olive oil). I serve with a homemade Caesar salad. They go mad for this.
- Lamb cutlets (only when they're on special) or the cheaper lamb leg steaks. I pan fry them in garlic, olive oil and fresh rosemary. Serve with wok tossed small chunks of potato (with the skins left on), fresh beans and julienne carrots. Another favourite.
- Roasts of course - favourites are roast beef & yorkshire puddings, roast lamb. I always use the leftover meat for a cottage or shepherd's pie.
- Cold ham (has to be good quality free-range ham on the bone). Served with mashed potato with shaved Parmesan mashed through and steamed cabbage and/or peas.
- Corned beef - slow cooked in balsamic vinegar, onion, carrot and flat leaf parsley. I will serve this with roasted/smashed spuds in garlic, roast carrots and steamed beans. I make a dijon mustard sauce with Parmesan cheese added (the sauce is basically a white sauce with the additions of the mustard and cheese). Or, they love it with roast/smashed spuds and coleslaw.
- Pick plate - cold meats (salami, ham, cold chicken etc.) with cucumber, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado slices, cheese, sundried tomatoes, carrot sticks, celery sticks ... basically anything raw/easy.
- Beef strog. Our favourite is beef stroganoff cannelloni. I chop the chuck steak more fine than I would for a traditional strog. Roll the strog up in the cannelloni sheets you buy in the deli section. Lay in a baking tray, pour some of the leftover sauce over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese - absolute winner. Or, just the traditional style and serve with mash.
- You can't go past 'toasty' night. We love ham, cheese & pineapple pan fried toasties, or ham, cheese and chutney. (I hate toasted sandwich makers, they're so much better pan fried).
- While boring, we love casseroles topped with cheesy dumplings, bangers & mash and I make my own tomato/balsamic chutney, or homemade pizza's cooked on the BBQ with the hood down (they taste like wood fired pizza's), everyone loves building their own. I make the bases enough for one person (about a small size that you would get from a commercial pizza seller).
Hope this helps.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users
It's not just waiting periods that couples need to consider - there are other factors to consider when thinking about health insurance.
Australian model Nicole Trunfio has taken the concept of multitasking to a fashionable new level for Elle Australia.
Parents have been warned about the dangers of letting babies sleep in bouncers and swings following the death of a three-month-old girl.
Sleep deprivation is a real hazard of caring for a baby. But there are ways to manage the challenges of fatigue better.
It's not all the parents, and it's not all the time, but there is often at least one doing it. And sometimes, that 'one' is me.
More than 80,000 faulty Samsung washing machines pose a fire threat in homes throughout Australia despite a nationwide recall of the machines.
Lotus birthing is not all that common, but for a number of women it feels like the most natural thing to do.
Despite its widespread nature, there is still a great amount of mystery surrounding PND - and it's important to try unravelling as much of that as we can.
More than 50 million vehicles recalled for potentially lethal airbag fault - is your car affected?
H2O is one of the necessities of life, but for babies a seemingly harmless amount of water can be fatal.
He had it all planned: a romantic proposal on a windswept beach. The whole family would be there so they'd all be able to celebrate the joyous moment together.
When our son stopped talking, our sense of loss was painful and acute.
They run their homes like domestic CEOs and work tirelessly to improve their family's social standing. And now, according to a new book, they want an annual perk from their husbands.
A widely-shared Facebook photograph of a British woman's breast has raised awareness of a more subtle breast cancer symptom.
"I'd never really failed a test - how could I fail this particularly manly test?"
New guidelines have been released, aimed at reducing children's harmful exposure to lead. But they still don't go far enough.
Chances are your toddler's behaviour is all completely normal - but here's how to tackle some common social problems.
We did sigh with joy at the arrival of a royal princess - but, mostly, we sighed with pity at the sight of Prince George being taken to meet her.
I've been in denial and I'm not too proud to beg, but it appears I must accept the fact that you have gone. I need to let you go.
The father of identical triplets born in a Texas hospital says his three daughters, including conjoined twins, are "a miracle" sent by God.
If the last time you assessed your health cover was five years ago, there?s a chance it may no longer suit your needs. To ensure it?s still right for your family, click here for seven questions to ask.
Top 5 Articles
Many women in labour don't use gas effectively and suffer more side effects than benefits. Here's how to get the most out of this pain relief option.
We cannot place all children who are sick in a bubble till they recover, but we can give other parents a choice about exposing their kids to them.
Home and Away actress Ada Nicodemou has opened up about the loss of her stillborn baby.
Before you start tracking your menstrual cycle and reading up on the best positions to get pregnant, there are a few other things you may want to consider.
Cricket legend Glenn McGrath and his second wife Sara are expecting their first child together, thanks to IVF and a delicate surgical sperm retrieval process that helped the couple to conceive.
The mother of disgraced wellness blogger Belle Gibson has accused her daughter of lying about her childhood in an attempt to garner public sympathy.
A new mum claims a doctor left his mobile phone inside her after delivering her baby via caesarean section.
I want my kids to know that no matter what happens in life, you can still be who it is that you've always wanted to be.
I had this innate 'mum' moment the other day.
Katherine's father will die in prison for the horrifying sexual abuse of his daughter. Yet she is the one with the true life sentence.
Mothers, babies, the health system and the wider society are going to pay the price of this new budget.
Baby Jai Bishop has lived at Starship Hospital for the past seven months, with his parents flying back and forth from Hokitika, 1100km away, to be by his side.
Life On Mars
We are all responsible for our own behaviour. Telling victims to harden up is wrong.
The biological father of baby Gammy has reportedly tried to access charity money raised for the little boy's medical costs.
It?s all very well to encourage women to work if they choose to, but how can the measures lead to increased workforce participation when women are once again left holding the baby?
After seven years of wishing, hoping, crying, punching pillows and shouting "why me?!", the end result is more than I ever thought possible.
Whether you're after a new car for a growing family, a bigger house, or are just fixing up your finances, here are the basics on borrowing.
A mum has shared a graphic photo of her skin cancer treatment as a warning to others.
We can certainly gain higher levels of happiness when we become parents, but the trick is to not get overwhelmed by the pressures of raising our kids.
It's obvious these people dote on their pets, but they're barking up the wrong tree.
Top baby names
The numbers are in and we can now bring you the 2014 top baby name list for Australia.