Jump to content
4 replies to this topic
Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:09 PM
Im sick of eating the same meals every night, and Im wanting to try new things and cook from scratch again like I used to before life took over.
So ladies hit me with your best/favourite recipes.
Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:45 PM
My fav is Chicken & Mushroom risotto!!
Heat in a saucepan 4 cups of chicken (or vegetable) stock and 4 cups of water. (you are going to add this to the rice. The rice cooks faster if the water is already at boiling temperature)
Cook diced chicken (I use 2 breasts) in a little bit of butter. Once cooked take out of pan.
Using same pan add 1 diced onion and a little bit more butter, cook for 3-4 mins. Add 1 and a half cups of Alborio Rice and stir around to coat it.
Start adding stock/water mix a ladle spoon or two at a time until rice is cooked. (should take 10 mins?)
Once cooked add the chicken back in and 12 mushrooms sliced and add a handful of shaved parmesan.
cook 1 diced onion and a heaped teaspoon of garlic in a pan and cook for 3-4 mins. Add 500g of minced beef, cook till brown.
Add 1 container of tomato paste and coat all of meat. Added 1 can of diced tomatoes and stir. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of beef stock and 2 bay leaves. Bring to boil and then simmer until all the stock is absorbed!
Eat with some yummy pasta and a little parmesan!!
Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:03 PM
I've been making Greek salad with lamb chops a lot lately. It's filling and feels healthy.
The chops are marinated in lemon, evoo, dried oregano and crushed garlic and then grilled or BBQ'd.
The salad has all the usual suspects: tomato, cucumber, cos, olives, feta and avo, and dressed with similar flavours to the marinade.
Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:22 PM
Just thinking about some of the things my children really look forward to (and make regular requests for) are:
- Homemade chicken schnitzels (the breast is basically filleted into 2 thinner pieces of chicken using a really sharp knife, dipped in egg then bread crumbs and baked in the oven on grease proof paper with olive oil). I serve with a homemade Caesar salad. They go mad for this.
- Lamb cutlets (only when they're on special) or the cheaper lamb leg steaks. I pan fry them in garlic, olive oil and fresh rosemary. Serve with wok tossed small chunks of potato (with the skins left on), fresh beans and julienne carrots. Another favourite.
- Roasts of course - favourites are roast beef & yorkshire puddings, roast lamb. I always use the leftover meat for a cottage or shepherd's pie.
- Cold ham (has to be good quality free-range ham on the bone). Served with mashed potato with shaved Parmesan mashed through and steamed cabbage and/or peas.
- Corned beef - slow cooked in balsamic vinegar, onion, carrot and flat leaf parsley. I will serve this with roasted/smashed spuds in garlic, roast carrots and steamed beans. I make a dijon mustard sauce with Parmesan cheese added (the sauce is basically a white sauce with the additions of the mustard and cheese). Or, they love it with roast/smashed spuds and coleslaw.
- Pick plate - cold meats (salami, ham, cold chicken etc.) with cucumber, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado slices, cheese, sundried tomatoes, carrot sticks, celery sticks ... basically anything raw/easy.
- Beef strog. Our favourite is beef stroganoff cannelloni. I chop the chuck steak more fine than I would for a traditional strog. Roll the strog up in the cannelloni sheets you buy in the deli section. Lay in a baking tray, pour some of the leftover sauce over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese - absolute winner. Or, just the traditional style and serve with mash.
- You can't go past 'toasty' night. We love ham, cheese & pineapple pan fried toasties, or ham, cheese and chutney. (I hate toasted sandwich makers, they're so much better pan fried).
- While boring, we love casseroles topped with cheesy dumplings, bangers & mash and I make my own tomato/balsamic chutney, or homemade pizza's cooked on the BBQ with the hood down (they taste like wood fired pizza's), everyone loves building their own. I make the bases enough for one person (about a small size that you would get from a commercial pizza seller).
Hope this helps.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users
Bonds and Disney fans with babies to buy for will be celebrating this news. Bonds and Disney have just released collaboration Wondersuits.
When Naomi Holly, a mother of three, noticed her eight-month-old daughter Nora, was having difficulty crawling and standing up as normal, she knew there was something wrong.
There's nothing more frustrating, or distressing to a parent than a sick child who can't - or won't got to sleep.
Perth mother Laurie Rushton Dyble was sitting on a recliner chair in her home holding her six-month-old son when her husband suddenly told her to get up and leave the room.
While no one wants their partner to miss their baby’s birth, it can happen. Here’s what to do if you find yourself in that situation.
The #motherhoodchallenge sounds harmless, doesn't it? Some women disagree.
Last year, it was "The Dress". This year, it is a family photo that is breaking the internet.
So who's with me? You know meditating is one of the best things you can possibly do for yourself.
An Italian woman could face up to six years in jail after her husband accused her of not doing enough cooking and cleaning at home.
While most expectant mums know to stop drinking when they’re pregnant, experts now warn women should stop drinking earlier than that. Is this necessary?
If there's less than a slim chance you'll find time to get out for a jog or to hit the gym today, take heart in knowing that household chores contribute to the calorie equation.
Why don't we talk about the fact that when everything goes right, we may still feel completely lost, and certain that we have failed?
A shocked father has shared his family's experience in a bid to warn other parents about the dangers of hair becoming entangled around a baby's toe.
Since the 1980s, the Italian town of Ostana had not seen the birth of a single baby.
It's something that can be taught as early as possible and reinforced as they get older and more mobile - even from toddlerhood.
Meet the brand new understated chic model from Bugaboo.
It's been two and a half years since Heather Clark's seven-month-old son Lukas passed away.
One minute your productivity is skyrocketing and the next you're sitting there trying to focus – just like that you draw blank, your brain, mush.
Guess what? Despite not pushing him out, I cried, and my heart skipped, and I felt the rush of love and pride when I saw him for the first time.
Top 5 Articles
Labor frontbencher Penny Wong is used to to hearing arguments against same-sex marriage. But for Australia's most prominent gay politician, one hurts more than others.
Some things in life are inherently served with a big scoop of fun: balloons, bubbles, cupcakes to name but a few, but exercise?
She wanted a fresh colour for 2016, but instead she got chemical burns.
A Perth family has thanked US surfing "legend" Kelly Slater after the star saved a mother and a young toddler from "a freak wave" in Hawaii.
Tech giant instigates massive international recall of power point adapters due to risk of electric shock.
It's impossible not to share this little boy's excitement about the alphabet.
Like all tired parents, Monique and Kyle Ruppel were looking forward to the day their 15-month-old daughter Celia would start sleeping through the night.
An Australian mum who has shared the ups and downs of carrying quintuplets has welcomed her five babies into the world.
It was all too much excitement for this dad.
The way parents respond to their child's babbling can shape how their infants communicate.
The World Health Organization announced that it will convene an emergency meeting about Zika.
Baby Ebony was repeatedly failed by the agencies tasked with her protection before her horrific death at the hands of her father, South Australia's deputy coroner says.
Thirty-eight weeks or 39? Non-medical factors are pushing women to have elective caesareans earlier than official guidelines - and hospitals are playing along.
Two police officers delivered more than a traffic fine by the side of a busy Melbourne road yesterday.
One Direction's Louis Tomlinson has posted the first picture of his baby boy, Freddie, on social media.
Get your ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show - register online now!