Jump to content
4 replies to this topic
Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:09 PM
Im sick of eating the same meals every night, and Im wanting to try new things and cook from scratch again like I used to before life took over.
So ladies hit me with your best/favourite recipes.
Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:45 PM
My fav is Chicken & Mushroom risotto!!
Heat in a saucepan 4 cups of chicken (or vegetable) stock and 4 cups of water. (you are going to add this to the rice. The rice cooks faster if the water is already at boiling temperature)
Cook diced chicken (I use 2 breasts) in a little bit of butter. Once cooked take out of pan.
Using same pan add 1 diced onion and a little bit more butter, cook for 3-4 mins. Add 1 and a half cups of Alborio Rice and stir around to coat it.
Start adding stock/water mix a ladle spoon or two at a time until rice is cooked. (should take 10 mins?)
Once cooked add the chicken back in and 12 mushrooms sliced and add a handful of shaved parmesan.
cook 1 diced onion and a heaped teaspoon of garlic in a pan and cook for 3-4 mins. Add 500g of minced beef, cook till brown.
Add 1 container of tomato paste and coat all of meat. Added 1 can of diced tomatoes and stir. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of beef stock and 2 bay leaves. Bring to boil and then simmer until all the stock is absorbed!
Eat with some yummy pasta and a little parmesan!!
Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:03 PM
I've been making Greek salad with lamb chops a lot lately. It's filling and feels healthy.
The chops are marinated in lemon, evoo, dried oregano and crushed garlic and then grilled or BBQ'd.
The salad has all the usual suspects: tomato, cucumber, cos, olives, feta and avo, and dressed with similar flavours to the marinade.
Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:22 PM
Just thinking about some of the things my children really look forward to (and make regular requests for) are:
- Homemade chicken schnitzels (the breast is basically filleted into 2 thinner pieces of chicken using a really sharp knife, dipped in egg then bread crumbs and baked in the oven on grease proof paper with olive oil). I serve with a homemade Caesar salad. They go mad for this.
- Lamb cutlets (only when they're on special) or the cheaper lamb leg steaks. I pan fry them in garlic, olive oil and fresh rosemary. Serve with wok tossed small chunks of potato (with the skins left on), fresh beans and julienne carrots. Another favourite.
- Roasts of course - favourites are roast beef & yorkshire puddings, roast lamb. I always use the leftover meat for a cottage or shepherd's pie.
- Cold ham (has to be good quality free-range ham on the bone). Served with mashed potato with shaved Parmesan mashed through and steamed cabbage and/or peas.
- Corned beef - slow cooked in balsamic vinegar, onion, carrot and flat leaf parsley. I will serve this with roasted/smashed spuds in garlic, roast carrots and steamed beans. I make a dijon mustard sauce with Parmesan cheese added (the sauce is basically a white sauce with the additions of the mustard and cheese). Or, they love it with roast/smashed spuds and coleslaw.
- Pick plate - cold meats (salami, ham, cold chicken etc.) with cucumber, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado slices, cheese, sundried tomatoes, carrot sticks, celery sticks ... basically anything raw/easy.
- Beef strog. Our favourite is beef stroganoff cannelloni. I chop the chuck steak more fine than I would for a traditional strog. Roll the strog up in the cannelloni sheets you buy in the deli section. Lay in a baking tray, pour some of the leftover sauce over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese - absolute winner. Or, just the traditional style and serve with mash.
- You can't go past 'toasty' night. We love ham, cheese & pineapple pan fried toasties, or ham, cheese and chutney. (I hate toasted sandwich makers, they're so much better pan fried).
- While boring, we love casseroles topped with cheesy dumplings, bangers & mash and I make my own tomato/balsamic chutney, or homemade pizza's cooked on the BBQ with the hood down (they taste like wood fired pizza's), everyone loves building their own. I make the bases enough for one person (about a small size that you would get from a commercial pizza seller).
Hope this helps.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users
Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.
It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.
A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.
The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.
These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.
Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.
After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.
I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.
A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.
Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.
In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.
If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.
One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.
While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.
The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.
As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.
Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.
I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.
We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?
Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.
Top 5 Articles
Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.
I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.
Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.
Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.
A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.
Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.
In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.
A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.
A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.
Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.
About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.
Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.
As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.
How many weeks til Christmas?
Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.