Mac or PC - which to choose?!
Help me decide which is best.

23 replies to this topic

#1 louise07

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice on my next computer purchase.

I have always been a PC user, had no problems or reasons to change over to a PC, however as I am now needing to replace my computer I am starting to wonder whether now is the time to switch to a Mac?

My reasoning for this is that we have multiple apple devices, lots of apps and an extensive itunes library and I am wondering whether it is best to switch to a Mac for using/managing all these things?

Our main uses of the computer are for photo editing and storage, managing and processing video footage, itunes, surfing the web and a little bit of word processing.  Having never used a Mac I have no idea whether it is better than a PC or if I will regret the money/change (I am looking at an iMac, had a quick fiddle with it at the store and love screen resolution, lack of bulk and cords etc...but other than aesthetics I have no clue about technology).

Is it worthwhile to change over or will I regret it?

TIA!

#2 axiomae

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

I got a job doing reception in an office that was Mac based when I was a student (10+ years ago now!) and I was converted. I will NEVER buy a PC again. PCs to me are slow, clunky, poorly organised and they constantly get viruses etc. I have never had a mac get a virus (and I download a lot :/) and I have had very few issues with crashing, losing work etc

I would say, in your case, yes! If you use it a lot for photos and videos, iPhoto and iMovie are free, quite powerful, programs that come with Macs which are wonderful. You will use them a lot if that's mainly what you do on the computer. You can buy Office for Mac, so that's fine, and if you have multiple apple products it's a logical extension.

There is an initial learning curve, but you can buy PC-Mac guides in the newsagent or have someone show you. Once you learn, you'll never go back!

#3 StopTheGoats

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I think Mac's are genuinely better than PC's. They are intuitive and better for photo editing etc. Software is cheaper and easy to update. The new Macbooks are very light and more than powerful enough for your needs. It would be more convenient for you if you already have other apple devices.

In saying that though, Apple's arrogance is starting to get inconvenient (flash, war with Google etc) so when I next upgrade my phone and tablet I'm switching to Android. I'll probably stay with the Mac.

#4 feralstreak

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Mac all the way for me! So easy to use and so pretty! And I agree with Axiomae, iPhoto is fab. We use it all the time.

#5 9ferals

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

I love my Mac (have had one at home for years, recently got one in the office) and would stick with that from preference.
Every now and again I come across something (usually Flash) that doesn't work but that is happening less and less now.
If the main things you want to do are photos/video etc then Mac should be a great choice.
Be aware that there is a learning curve, it isn't the same as a Windows computer. But, you can get free training at the Apple store.
And you will pay more for a Mac, but in my opinion it's worth it - it starts up so fast, no (almost) viruses, things just happen smoothly, especially if you have iOS devices.

#6 IsolaBella

We have just gone to an iMac for similar reasons. best Decision Ever. No going back for us now.

We got the new 21" with all the extra bits inside.

#7 MrsLexiK

I like Mac's but I wouldn't buy one for the simple fact of keeping everything together.  I have a very very large itunes library, 2 ipods, and 2 iphones I have found everything to be ok with using a PC.  

My current PC is just a screen, no cords for the mouse and the keyboard, and a hell of a lot more free space and RAM etc then the Apple. I think Apple is coming to the end of their reign especially for phones (I wouldn't buy an iphone 5 when my contract is up for example) so I wouldn't be buying one simply because I wouldn't be sure that all my devices in the future will be Apple.

#8 ~sydblue~

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

If you already have multiple apple devices, then a Mac would be your best bet.
I have a 15" Macbook and the Ipad, Iphones and Itouch are all synced to it.

#9 liveworkplay

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

In your case I would say try a Mac. I use Macs for work, PC at home. I must say I am a bit meh about Macs. Yes they are simple and aesthetically pleasing, but I really, really don't like how you are "locked in" to Apple and at their mercy.

I detest the Mac-sheep saying "Once you use Mac you'll never go back" rolleyes.gif

(we have always used a PC at home and never had virus/malware problems )

Edited by liveworkplay, 29 January 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#10 Country (deci)Mel

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

My DP is a software developer so we have multiple computers in this house.

About 7 I think!

I have a Mac - DP fully supports this as he recognises it as the superior home user interface.  

While he won't probably ever have one - and I KNOW we will never EVER use Windows in this home! - when my little MacBook decides to go to the big recycling bin in the sky it will be replaced by another Mac.

We don't use iPhones, Android all the way - and DP has ripped the operating system out of his iPod to run something different - yet all our Mac stuff and our PC stuff work in happy harmony together!

#11 spersephone

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

I'm planning to switch to an iMac in a year or two (budget wise it's not the right time yet).  For many of the same reasons as you.

I've had a PC since 1998 (actually I had some even before that, about 1990, but I really got into it in 1998 when I discovered the internet).  I've always been a big PC person, but a few years ago I got my iPod Touch and was hooked on the Apple system.

I do lots of video editing and heaps of photo editing, and I believe from my research that Macs are simply better at this stuff, and better at managing the programs that do these (they're very RAM intense on my PC).  

I'm certainly willing to do it myself, but I just don't have the $1500 or so I need spare at the moment.  I'm in the process of saving for lots of things, and I'll be studying next year so there's a small discount if you're a student.  I am likely to take this up either at the start of the year (if I can afford it, but it might be best to try to pay off my HECS upfront instead), or at the end (I'm doing a one year postgraduate course).  

I'm really looking forward to it.  I have a laptop which will remain my link to Windows if I need one.  I've been researching programs that I use and their equivalents if they're not available on Mac.  I found a brilliant home budgeting program that works across devices and I've almost forgotten about Quicken because of it.  

#12 Peppery

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I purchased an iMac in October last year, i absolutely love it. Prior to that i was always a PC owner.

I find it extremely easy to use and navigate.

#13 VioletPurple

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Once you go MAC you never go back.  biggrin.gif

#14 louise07

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the speedy replies!

One further question, I googled last night to confirm that you can use flash on the new imacs, but it sounds like (based on a couple of replies here) that this isnt the case?

Edited by louise07, 29 January 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#15 Frankly my Dear

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

One further question, I googled last night to confirm that you can use flash on the new imacs, but it sounds like (based on a couple of replies here) that this isnt the case?

I believe that this is the case with iPads/iPhones, not actually laptops/desktops.

I don't have any issue using websites with flash on my macbook (I'm pretty sure I don't anyway)

#16 erindiv

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I have never liked Macintosh. I always swore I would never have an Apple product... but then I got my iPad.

I dislike the whole idea of being 'stuck' with Apple products. With PC stuff there are lots of brands you can buy that are compatible, but Mac is just Mac.

Plus I'm way too used to PC now so Mac systems are alien gibberish to me.

I've also never had a virus on a PC. Virus protection is a useful thing.

#17 Cyaira

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I would never buy a Mac. They're quite overpriced for what you get. Plus, with a PC I can just upgrade parts (cheap) as I need myself - not so with a Mac! Macs have nowhere near the flexibility of a PC in terms of software and hardware.

#18 Anemonefish

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I converted to Mac a couple of years ago. Previously, I'd have to replace my laptop every couple of years, and the battery would usually go after a year or so. The battery on my Mac still lasts as long as it did when I bought it, and I haven't had any problems with it.

The only frustrating thing is that it occasionally freezes when I'm working on a Word document. Apparently it's a common problem. But auto-recovery works so much better on a Mac, so although it's frustrating when it happens, I find I haven't actually lost much when the file reopens.

#19 debut dad

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I've been in IT for over 10 years now and it's been great to see the rise and fall and rise again of Apple. I hope they can keep their shareholders happy and come out with more great innovative products.

I myself am a PC user though and in business, more and more businesses I work with who have gone to Mac for the "cool factor" are now going back to the PC. This is probably only true though in the enterprise sector.

For home use though, I don't see Mac users to run into any of the issues large businesses would (normally security, management and compatibility), so if you choose to go with Mac, I'm sure you'll have no issue at all. In saying that, if you choose to go with the PC, you'll have no issues as well plus you will more than likely either:
a) save money as Apple products are kind of over-priced
or
b) you get much more technology for your hard earned dollar.

It's like Ford vs Holden again... both computers will still give you access to facebook and let you send and receive emails original.gif

#20 FiveAus

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have a MacBook Pro, I converted to Mac a couple of years ago after being a PC technician for almost 10 years. I was sick to death of having to always have virus protection up o date, nod the exorbitant cost of Windows software.

I love it. Absolutely love it. Top quality machine, lovey user experience and bloody brilliant software.

I couldn't give a rats kabana about being "locked in" to Apple. It's no different to being a slave to Microsoft.

At the same time that I bought my MacBook Pro, I also bought my daughter the white Mac unibook. Neither of us have had a jot of trouble with our lovely Macs. They are beautifully made, and high quality machines.

This last Xmas, I bought my husband a new Windows laptop. Supposedly a reliable brand, cost the same as my MacBook Pro, running the latest Windows. It's barely a month old and already it's failed. I was unimpressed with it from when he started using it.....so bloated with crappy software, trial ware, antivirus software that pet interrupting everything with announcements and pop ups. Windows 8 is a big departure from previous versions, and not in a good way.

You get quality and reliability with a Mac. You take your chances with the cobbled together rubbish that runs Windows these days.

#21 IsolaBella

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Just going to add that my big concern (going to Mac) was how I knew all PC shortcuts. Apple just uses the same most of the time except instead of using the Ctrl button you use command on Apple. So ctrl C becomes command C

#22 Butterflyferal

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

I detest the Mac-sheep saying "Once you use Mac you'll never go back" rolleyes.gif

I know, right? I used to sell computers and people used to behave like buying a Mac would help cure cancer rolleyes.gif
Having said that I just made the decision to stay using a Mac based on it looking so darn pretty so I really have no credibility. biggrin.gif

#23 SummerStar

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (JuniorSpies @ 29/01/2013, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Mac's are genuinely better than PC's. They are intuitive and better for photo editing etc. Software is cheaper and easy to update. The new Macbooks are very light and more than powerful enough for your needs. It would be more convenient for you if you already have other apple devices.

In saying that though, Apple's arrogance is starting to get inconvenient (flash, war with Google etc) so when I next upgrade my phone and tablet I'm switching to Android. I'll probably stay with the Mac.

You know android doesn't have flash anymore though right? Adobe stopped supporting mobile flash so that argument used for so long by android fans is no longer relevant.

#24 SummerStar

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 29/01/2013, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My current PC is just a screen, no cords for the mouse and the keyboard, and a hell of a lot more free space and RAM etc then the Apple. I think Apple is coming to the end of their reign especially for phones (I wouldn't buy an iphone 5 when my contract is up for example) so I wouldn't be buying one simply because I wouldn't be sure that all my devices in the future will be Apple.

Compared to what? Macs and pcs don't have a standard amount of ram or hd space. It depends on the model you choose then if you choose to upgrade that at purchase. So the one you have might have more ram/hd space than a particular Mac, but not all of them.
I hate the Mac vs PC debate and the iPhone vs android debates. I have both Mac and PC and had both android and iPhones. They're all good and suit different people for different reasons. There is no right or wrong or this is better than that. It's personal choice and preference.
Also the sheep comment, PC users are sheep too just running with a different flock. They can be just as defensive of their PC as Mac user can be when recommending that.
These debates are better when people say what they use and why without resorting to the attacks on the opposing machines.

Edited by SummerStar, 15 February 2013 - 09:05 AM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.