Recommend Me a Carseat?
Prelude no longer sold :(

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Well I've just realised that the carseat we bought and love for DD (babylove prelude) is no longer  being made and sold. We are in the market for a new carseat for DD (2yo) as we have a new bub on the way.

We liked specifically that the prelude:
- is quite narrow as I have a smallish car (but still has a tall back)
- has the clips to hold the seatbelts into when not in use
- has an extra pad for newborn comfort
- Very reasonable price (we got on special for $130)

Can anyone recommend something with a similar design and similar safety ratings under $200? I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to comparing car seats!

Edited to remove RF as I wont need that

Edited by JBaby, 28 January 2013 - 11:47 PM.

#2 solongsuckers

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 29/01/2013, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't help you, but I just wanted to say that your typo in the title was the best typo ever:)

haha I thought so too.

We have the babylove ezyswitch, great seat. Cost me $200

Fits all your requirements original.gif

http://www.babylove.com.au/Car-Safety/Car-...e-Car-Seats.asp

Edited by SleezyFrickentush, 28 January 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#3 Bazinga

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 28/01/2013, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't help you, but I just wanted to say that your typo in the title was the best typo ever:)

roll2.gif

#4 mini mac

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 28/01/2013, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second that notion.

biggrin.gif

#5 Domestic Goddess

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (JBaby @ 29/01/2013, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I've just realised that the carseat we bought and love for DD (babylove prelude) is no longer  being made and sold. We are in the market for a new carseat for DD (2yo) as we have a new bub on the way.

We liked specifically that the prelude:
- RF till 12kg
- is quite narrow as I have a smallish car (but still has a tall back)
- has the clips to hold the seatbelts into when not in use
- has an extra pad for newborn comfort
- Very reasonable price (we got on special for $130)

Can anyone recommend something with a similar design and similar safety ratings under $200? I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to comparing car seats!

Ehm, may I ask why you want RF til 12kg if it is for your 2yo??? The seats you're looking at with the RF option are normal carseats that go from newborn to 4yo.
That means that you will have to buy another seat again for your DD2 in 2 years time.

You posted the same kind of post in this section about 1,5 hours ago asking about convertible booster seats. I replied in there as well.
Why not go for one of them? They will last your DD2 up until she's 8 years old.  The Rallye that you were looking at at Big W is not a great seat. I was looking at it as a second seat for in my parents car. It's quite a wide seat and would not fit properly in their Kia Rio as it was too bulky. It also doesn't have any extra pads for babies. So I got another BL Ezy Combo instead.
The Ezy Combo has extra insert for babies and is a lot more narrow and snug. Pricing starts from 190 up, but it also happens to be the best tested seat in the 2011 CREP test.

Convertible booster seats can do not have RF as they are too high for that. Your 2yo DD wont have to go RF anyway?

I bought both my seats at the pram warehouse. They both got delivered 48 hours after I purchased online.. That's from Qld to NSW.

http://www.pramwarehouse.com.au/product/Ba...r_Car_Seat.html

#6 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 28/01/2013, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh lol, whoops!!!

#7 Justaduck

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Love the typo too!

We have a BabyLove Grande, which is the model up from your Prelude. They are still selling them at Kmart, just with the newer safety recommendations (ie the height switch indicator). The Grande replacement was on sale for $159 I think the other day.

We also have a BabyLove Ezy-Combo (6mths - 8yrs I believe) and it rated as well as two of the SNS seats, and better than some of the SNS seats.

We are considering getting an Ezy-Switch (0-4ys) as our other Grande started fraying in the belt bit that you pull to tighten straps. We got our money back but want DD out of the Combo and in a RF seat a bit longer

#8 FlamingoG

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 29/01/2013, 12:03 AM)
15280421[/url]']

Hate to harp on about it, but it made my night, too... now I just need someone to be rude to me so I can use my favourite forgotten insult!

#9 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Oh, I'm intrigued now... What was the typo?

Edited - weird double post

Edited by WhimsicalDragonfly, 28 January 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#10 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (Domestic Goddess @ 28/01/2013, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ehm, may I ask why you want RF til 12kg if it is for your 2yo??? The seats you're looking at with the RF option are normal carseats that go from newborn to 4yo.
That means that you will have to buy another seat again for your DD2 in 2 years time.

Oh sorry you're right DG, I was just thinking/typing why I liked the prelude for DD and it didn't click I won't need RF this time cos its for DD not the new baby!  

I kind of ruled out the convertible types after a poster said they are bad for sleeping in, but just saw your reply now, thank you original.gif  

Looks like there's only $21 difference between the combo and the switch too so looks like that might be the way to go  original.gif

#11 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (WhimsicalDragonfly @ 28/01/2013, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, I'm intrigued now... What was the typo?

Edited - weird double post

lol the title originally said "Recommend Me a arseat"!!

#12 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

DG I notice that the Ezycombo is 4cm wider than the Ezyswitch, can I ask what type of car you have yours in and how you find the size? Do you have any other carseats in there with it? We may end up needing 3 carseats in the future and not sure how that will go with a corrolla...

#13 Domestic Goddess

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

You'll also find that the harness in the EzyCombo goes upto 18kg. This often kids can last in the harness until they're at least 3yo. So combine the harness with the recline position and extra padding around the head and you'll find she will sleep comfortably in the car.
Do you have a baby shop nearby? It would be good if you can have a look at it first before buying it, just to make sure its what you need.
I went to our local baby shop and looked at both the MaxiRider as well as the Ezi Combo and measured both seats with a tape measure as I needed the one with the tallest back. That's how I found out that they are identical shells and both seats are made in the same factory. The sales person admitted this to be true and said you do indeed pay more for the MR due to extra luxuries and the name,

#14 Domestic Goddess

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

I have a small Nissa Micra. I have fitted 2 seats in the back easily. I haven't tried 3 though.

You will find that you wont be able to fit 3 of any brand seats in your car unless its a large commodore, falcon or big 4WD.

The reason the Switch is smaller is because it is upto 4yo only. You dont need a big shell for such young kids. Kids over 4yo are usually bigger and therefore need bigger seats. So you'll find that (convertible) booster seats will be wider.

#15 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Domestic Goddess @ 28/01/2013, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You will find that you wont be able to fit 3 of any brand seats in your car unless its a large commodore, falcon or big 4WD.

Lol, well I'll use that against DH who's the one who wants 3 kids instead of 2 hehe wink.gif

QUOTE (Domestic Goddess @ 28/01/2013, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason the Switch is smaller is because it is upto 4yo only. You dont need a big shell for such young kids. Kids over 4yo are usually bigger and therefore need bigger seats. So you'll find that (convertible) booster seats will be wider.

That makes sense. I think I will go look at it in person and see if the 5cm difference is likely to bother me. The combo looks so much cosier!

#16 Domestic Goddess

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Yes, see if you can find a local shop who stocks the 2012 model of the Ezy Combo to have a look before you buy. You can even put your DD in it to see how is fits her. If there's no shop near you, maybe ask friends and family if anyone has the 2012 model EzyCombo.

THIS is the Ezy Combo brochure in case you don't get a chance to see one in real life before buying.....

THISis the download link of the manual if you want to know more specific things like how to install.....

Don't buy the 2011 model though. Its side wings aren't as deep as the 2012 model. Though even with that difference, the 2011 model was still voted best seat. So imagine how much better the 2012 model is lol original.gif

Goodluck with finding the right seat. It can be a bit unnerving when you're talking about such an important part of your child's safety in the car....

Edited by Domestic Goddess, 29 January 2013 - 12:17 AM.

#17 IsolaBella

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Babylove Prelude was the KMart version of the Babylove Rzyswich 2004 standard model. It came only in black.

The Babylove Vantage is the KMart Version of the Babylove Exyswitch 2010 standard model.

#18 zande

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

You'll also find that the harness in the EzyCombo goes upto 18kg. This often kids can last in the harness until they're at least 3yo.

Or way beyond. My DD2 only came out of her EzyCombo last year at nearly 6 years old, and only because she'd hit 21kg. It is a fabulous seat, I've had many many car seats over the years and this was by far my favourite.

I always go by the CREP tests, and buy the safest seat on the list. The EzyCombo was a double-bonus because it was relatively cheap.

#19 A whole new world

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

I second Zande's reply.
There was a report in the Melbourne papers the other day about car seats and their safety ratings. Unfortunately the majority of car seats sold are deemed unsafe and have very low safety ratings.

The best one for a two year old with a four star rating is the forward facing Babyloves Ezy Combo as mentioned above which is priced from 192.00

Here is the website so you can see all the results.

http://www.crep.com.au/crep-results.php

I was rather upset to find the carseat I paid 340.00 for was only rated two stars for safety.  

#20 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (A whole new world @ 29/01/2013, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was rather upset to find the carseat I paid 340.00 for was only rated two stars for safety.

Wow I would have been upset by that too!

Quick update, I was going to go compare the ezycombo and ezyswitch side by side but apparently there are no stores in my area that currently have both in stock. I don't need the seats for about 9 months, but hope I'll still be able to get them on special if I wait.

Does anyone know if the ezycombo and ezyswitch go on sale regularly?

Edited by JBaby, 29 January 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#21 IsolaBella

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

CREP test results for forward facing are based on testing of 6yo 22kg test dummies, not small sub 14kgs 2yo.

All seats sold in Australia must meet Australian Standards testing requirements which use a wider variety if test dummies.

CREP have also tested a very small selection of seats currently available.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Pregnant Alicia Keys nude for a cause

"People won?t be able to ignore this visual," says a pregnant Alicia Keys, who has posed naked for a charitable campaign.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.