Asthma. How was your child diagnosed?
And what happened next

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mum2jp

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I hope this is the right forum. I took DS 2y old to the doctor today with a runny nose, chesty cough and mainly because he was wheezing last night. So the doctor listened to his chest and said the cough and wheezing was asthma, he gave me a script for ventolin to take via spacer 3 times a day untill he is better. I asked him if he needed to have some sort of asthma plan or tests and he just said if i need him to do a plan I will need to bring DS back later in the week.
Is there any other tests that he should have done to diagnose asthma? Do I need to ask for a referral to a pead for a proper diagnoses or is it normal for GP to do this. Also if he does in fact have asthma should he have a preventer treatment instead of just using ventolin? The only question he asked me was if there is a family history of asthma and DH has asthma so there was.
Edited to add, it wasn't my family doctor I saw as they are closed on Sunday's but I have taken DS to this medical centre a few times as my family doctor is hard to get not.

Edited by mum2jp, 28 January 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#2 ~chiquita~

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

DS was diagnosed in hospital. He was 11 months at the time so even though he was 'too young' to be diagnosed officially, but because he responded to the Ventolin they said he most likely will suffer from asthma from time to time. DS has viral induced asthma so it's always after he has caught a bad cold.  

They wrote an Asthma Management Plan for us and I keep Redipred in the fridge. I'd go back and get a plan from your regular doctor. It will tell you when and how often to administer the ventolin (e.g. when unwell, cough, cold etc.) When and if to start on steroids and when to get him to hospital.

HTH

Edited by ~chiquita~, 28 January 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#3 Spa Gonk

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

My 3yo had three incidents in the space of about 3 months where he was really wheezy.  Once the dr surgery sent him to hospital and a other time we spend 4 hours there with him on a nebuliser and needing to get a chest X-ray.  

We could not get into our regular dr on his third tie when he was diagnosed.  Not sure what he would have done.  We have an asthma plan and really need it, as I found it confusing to know when to give venotolin, preventer and redipred and really need the guidance, as well as to know when to go to the dr.

Eta, child also had ezcema and allergies and our paed told us several years before he most likely would have it.

Edited by Spotted Giraffe, 28 January 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#4 RealityBites

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

My DD1 was about 18mo when diagnosed in hospital, she couldn't breathe! If the doctor says it is asthma, I would listen to him - the official line is under 2 or 3 is 'too young' but IMO that is bollocks when the child actually has asthma iykwim. (Although if your little one hasn't been hospitalised, it couldn't hurt to get a second opinion.)

Also go back at some stage for an asthma management plan, either to a gp or paediatrician. My DD1 is at risk of asthma every time she has a cold, and was hospitalised too many times before the paediatrician put her on a preventer. Having predmix in the house is always a lifesaver, too.

Edited by RealityBites, 28 January 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#5 ReadySetRace

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

A wheeze with a viral infection in a child under 5 may not be asthma.

Does ventolin help?

Time will tell if it is asthma.

See your normal GP when you can, or go to emergency if he gets worse.

#6 trebambinibelli

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

DS1 diagnosed under 1.  The paed said that it is almost always sensitive airways in an infant or very young child, however a blood test revealed very high IgE levels, had eczema, both parents have asthma and he responded well to ventolin.  He is now 7 and has had multiple asthma attacks, the last one being quite severe, so yep he definitely has it.

#7 GreenEgg

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

My daughter was diagnosed just before she was two.  Was actually having an attack and couldn't breathe properly.   Bad parent moment I and my husband didn't know that she was having an attack just thought she had a cold but was really out Of sorts so luckily decided to see our GP.

The preventer is generally prescribed if they need ventolin three or so times a week when it is supposed to be under control.   If they go to day care and have been diagnosed with asthma you are required to leave ventolin and a space etc and have an action plan in place.

#8 RealityBites

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (trebambinibelli @ 28/01/2013, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DS1 diagnosed under 1.  The paed said that it is almost always sensitive airways in an infant or very young child, however a blood test revealed very high IgE levels, had eczema, both parents have asthma and he responded well to ventolin.  He is now 7 and has had multiple asthma attacks, the last one being quite severe, so yep he definitely has it.

Yes, when DD1 (now 10yo) was diagnosed we were baffled, having no asthma in family. However, my grandfather had psoriasis, and my grandmother has recently been diagnosed with asthma. My mum has also recently admitted that she may have had a couple of episodes over her lifetime.
DD1 also now gets severe hay fever.

Edited by RealityBites, 28 January 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#9 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

I have one daughter who gets it occasionally after a cold, and just takes ventolin.

I have another who was getting it a lot, and takes a preventer for most of winter, and ventolin on her all the time, and for sport. She was often wheezy and breathless. You will get to know if it gets worse over time, and you need a preventer.

#10 Sunny003

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

DS1 was about 3.5 & a few bouts of asthma.
DS2 was 6mths. They said they don't usually dx so young as it could be bronchialitis, but because he'd had so many episodes, a&e visits and ward stays, it was most likely asthma.

I've known people dx with asthma when sick, recovered and never had it again. Hence no preventer.
My boys weren't put on preventer unless they had more than 1 episode in 3 months. They're both on flixitide. We tried a tablet (do cant think of its name) but it caused aggression in DS1 & eczema in DS2.

#11 mez70

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

My son was diagnosed at about 10 or 11 mths based on symptoms, family history and his medical history. He had been born at 31 weeks and had a few issues with his lungs both at birth weeks after.

His twin born at the same gestation DOESN"T have Asthma but she does have a tendency to get Bronchitis and Pneumonia and when she gets these she will wheeze and need ventolin.

I would go back to your regular GP for a check up and to bring them up to speed and discuss with them.

Family History is a very strong factor with Asthma and as our gP said when my son was diagnosed given his family history, dad and uncle both asthmatic and his birth history he was always at a higher risk of developing it sad.gif

If he does have Asthma the important thing is to find the triggers. I kept a diary of when DS would need ventolin etc and anything else that day eg visited people with a Dog etc and we found our old Gas heater was one (just couldn't get all the dust out of it) Colds and Viruses as well as grasses and pollens. The thing is sometimes the triggers are not in your face obvious though.. My DH gets Asthma and every year around Christmas he would start needing more ventolin than usual feeling crap etc, Any way we had a few theories and disproved them etc and then the year our Twins were born, we decided that due to the strong smell etc of a real Christmas tree etc we would have a fake one that year. Dammit it was the first year in YEARS he never got Asthma (until we went to our mutual parents houses who both had REAL TREES) OMG it had been the bloody Christmas trees. So to my Dismay we have had to have fake ones ever since (and I love the smell of a real tree). But it literally took us years to work that one out..

Good luck

#12 mum2jp

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the advice.

The ventolin does help the wheezy sound but doesn't stop the chesty cough.

Is Ezcema always linked to asthma?

He does get Ezcema not very badly usually only in his elbows though he had a big break out on his face just before christmas and the only thing i could put it down to was that i had given him nuttella on toast which he had not had before which of course had ended up all over his face while he was eating. He had a prescription cream from the doctor to clear it up, but it has never apeared that badly before so i think it was the nutella. DH has asthma and needs a preventor twice daily and still uses ventolin at times but he didn't get it untill about 10years old.

I took him to the doctor again yesterday as he was still really coughing badly and the doctor has given him antibiotics for his chest he told me he wasn't wheezing at the time but very rattley (but he had the ventolin in the morning before we went). I am going to book an appointment with our family GP for later in the week to ask about the asthma, give the antibiotics a day or so to work. Thanks again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.