VBAC questions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lucygoosey1

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

I had an emergency c-section for my DD2.  

After only an hour of labouring at home,  I went to hospital at 6cm dilated.  Another 2 hours and I hadn't progressed so I think they broke my waters and put me on a drip.  I think I then had an epidural and stalled at around 8cm.  My DD then was distressed so they did a c-section.  She was born only 7hours after I went into labour at home.  She was perfectly healthy at birth with apgars 8 or 9 straight away.
I asked my ob (not the one who was on call during my labour),  and he said the reason for my c-section is my cervix had started to swell and she was too large at 7lb14.

I actually birthed my DD1 vaginally after a 12 hr labour.  I was put on the drip and had an epi.  She was 6lb12.

I am now TTC #3 and a VBAC is very important to me.  I have been analysing the labour of DD2 and have come to my own conclusion that perhaps I should have waited longer at home,  allowed my body to 'warm up' naturally,  rather than being rushed onto the drip,  and perhaps avoided the epi so I could get into better positions for her?
My ob said I could most certainly have a VBAC but he is not confident I could birth an 8lb + baby (I am petite). I also asked him if it was the epi that stalled it and he didn't think so as I was already 8cm and in established labour.

Sorry for the essay,  but what advice could you offer me?  
I was happy with my ob,  but do worry that perhaps the ob on call rushed into a c-section?
Is it safe to labour at home for a while after a c-section?
What should I be asking my ob or insisting on at the hospital?
Should I consider going to a different hospital - this is North West Private in Brisbane?

#2 Melissam12

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Consider a different care provider ... go with a midwife.  There are some great private midwifery practices in QLD.

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

OP, you have an Obstetrician you are happy with and he said you can attempt a VBAC then I would say go with that.
It seems he is on your side so I would continue to discuss this every visit you have that this is your intention.
You have successfully delivered vaginally which is something that bodes well for you, remember every pregnancy and labour is different from the other so it is hard to predict the outcome. Your swollen cervix may have been from the position of the baby's head and may not factor into your next labour.
Lots of good luck with your TTC. original.gif

#4 nicknick

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Do you know I did the same thing with my DD's birth, I wanted to know exactly why I had to have a emergency c/s with my 1st that it almost drove me nuts - and yes you guessed it I never did find the answer why!!  rolleyes.gif Around 20 weeks I let the why's go and it was the best thing I could have done, I had a schedule elective c/s booked which I had agreed with Ob that if I hadn't gone into labour I would have but agreed with him that we would keep the plan open and see how the pregnancy progressed. I actually went into labour the week before and had my DD via Vbac.

As for large babies v's your size don't be too worried, both mine have been over 8lb and I am petite so it can be done. I think my biggest advice would be keep an open mind and make sure you have an Ob/midwife/hospital you are comfortable with -  at the end of the day a healthy mum & bub is the most important thing. Goodluck.

#5 tick

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

So you were 6cm after 3 hours of labour and that wasn't fast enough for them? I'd be at least exploring other options in terms of care providers after that! The big baby clause would worry me too. You won't find out how big the next baby is until after s/he is born afterall.

I have had a caesarean in similar circumstances to yours (much longer labour but same deal with drip at 6cm, epi and 'distress' at 8cm). DD2 was a VBAC, born at home with two private midwives in attendance. I had a backup plan for hospital if either midwife thought it necessary (or if I wanted drugs etc) but it all panned out fairly textbook at home. If I was planning a hospital VBAC I'd definitely bring a private midwife or experienced doula with me to keep it real, so to speak.

#6 fairymagic

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Tick, it doesn't sound like lack of progress that lead to the C/S. It sounds like an edematous/swollen cervix which as STBG pointed out, could have been caused by the way the baby's head was positioned. It may be that this particular baby was too big too and this can cause a cervix to swell causing an obstructed labour. This will also cause fetal distress.

OP as STBG pointed out, you have an OB who is keen to support your VBAC so go with that. You stayed home last time and got to 6 cm - well done!! The fact that you were in established labour when you had the epidural inserted may not have made any difference to the outcome. Being a petite person, there is a possibility that the baby may have been too big for you - by attempting a VBAC you are giving it another go so that if it was a malpresentation of the baby's head, this time that may not happen.

Discuss this with your OB. Discuss what his plan of action is to help you achieve a successful VBAC. Discuss what he will do if you get to your due date with no signs of labour. Discuss with him how long he will recommend this pregnancy go being a VBAC. Some OBs don't like women going past their due date - others will have a day in mind ie  7 days/5 days etc. Get all the information now so you know what to expect and how this pregnancy will be managed by this particular OB. That way, if you are not happy with his proposed management, you can source another OB whose plan may be different.

Good luck.

#7 naturalgoodness

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

After DS1 and DD1 being natural birthing centre deliveries I was very shocked when DS2 ended up being an emergency c/s when apparently his head was not presenting in the correct position and causing inflammation.

Naturally (for the hospital), it was assumed when pregnant with DD2 that I would want a c/s. I advised early on that I wanted to have a VBAC. They threw everything at me - that I couldn't go over date, that I couldn't be induced, that I would have to have close monitoring etc etc etc. I smiled and nodded each time. All previous 3 births had been 40 + 10 so I had no expectation that I would get a VBAC.

When the time came, 1 day before due date, I laboured naturally at home for as long as I could, when I got to labour ward I was 9cm dialated, my waters broke on their own and within 30 minutes DD2 was born. It was not until they were updating my records later that staff realised I was a VBAC!

As for size, I was a large baby and I am plus sized (big boned too), all of my kids have been under 8 pounds. They cannot tell you the exact size of your baby until after birth!

This time I am taking it as it comes. I firmly believe that my body knows what to do, and given that 3 out of 4 births have been vaginally delivered I know that its possible for me to do it. However, I would never compromise my health or that of the baby to meet my own objectives. If a valid and reasonable explanation is given to me as to why a c/s would be required, I would certainly listen and consider.

I hope that you get what you want this time and you are able to have a successful VBAC original.gif

#8 tick

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (fairymagic @ 28/01/2013, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tick, it doesn't sound like lack of progress that lead to the C/S. It sounds like an edematous/swollen cervix which as STBG pointed out, could have been caused by the way the baby's head was positioned. It may be that this particular baby was too big too and this can cause a cervix to swell causing an obstructed labour. This will also cause fetal distress.

No but lack of progress did lead to the drip, which probably lead to the epidural, both of which may have affected the progression to c-section..... And that's why I'd be interested in interviewing other care providers.  No harm in assessing all the options before proceeding!  Speaking of that, it can help to get a copy of your hospital records from the previous births and go over them with an independent midwife or similar, just to get another perspective.

#9 Soontobegran

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (tick @ 28/01/2013, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No but lack of progress did lead to the drip, which probably lead to the epidural, both of which may have affected the progression to c-section..... And that's why I'd be interested in interviewing other care providers.  No harm in assessing all the options before proceeding!  Speaking of that, it can help to get a copy of your hospital records from the previous births and go over them with an independent midwife or similar, just to get another perspective.

Why can't she discuss this with the trusted and supportive caregiver she has already unsure.gif  It doesn't sound like her Ob has any intention to keep her in the dark.

To be fair you are making quite some assumptions in your post unless you are privvy to more history than the OP has provided us with.

#10 tick

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 28/01/2013, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why can't she discuss this with the trusted and supportive caregiver she has already unsure.gif  It doesn't sound like her Ob has any intention to keep her in the dark.

She already is discussing wither her trusted care provider!  What on earth is wrong with getting a second opinion though?!

#11 fairymagic

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I agree it is worth going over things with your OB or an Independent Midwife.

I am often disappointed though when reading stories of births on here how quick people are in assuming that an OB (it is usually an OB) is condemned for making a decision re a birth which may not go the way a woman had wished it to, so the OB must have jumped in/intervened too quickly etc.

In this case, labour was established. The OP did very well staying home till she was 6 cm dilated. She came into hospital where Im assuming that she continued to labour with regular contractions. After a further two hours, there was no progress. (This could be an indication that for whatever reason the baby was not well applied to the cervix or in an optimal position on the cervix to assist with dilatation). Perhaps by then the contractions were becoming more irregular hence the decision was made to start a drip. This is not unusual practice. Two hours with no progress - this indicates inadequate contractions or perhaps an obstructed labour or something else is going on.

The drip was started and soon(?) afterwards, there was fetal distress. Again, this may be because the labour was obstructed ie baby too big or malpositioned. A " side effect" of an obstructed labour is an edematous or swollen cervix. A cervix that is swollen does not usually dilate to 10 cm therefore preventing the baby being born. At 8 cm instead of waiting to see if the swelling got worse, that baby was in distress. Some Drs when there is little progress over a period of time will start a hormone drip - this will often get the labour to "show" where it is headed (hope this makes sense). If the labour is obstructed or there is malpresentation of the head, fetal distress is not uncommon when the hormone drip is started. Hope this makes sense??

Regardless, not all labours go to plan and it is not always the Dr deciding to "pull the plug" on a labouring woman earlier than what they should that leads to a C/S. Contrary to "popular" belief, not all OBs intervene unnecessarily, not all OBs want their women to birth in daylight hours nor do all OBs intervene so that they can go to previously planned "events". I think its a shame that the trust a lot of women have in their OBs is questioned when a labour does not progress to plan.

Sorry to the OP. Slightly off track.  blush.gif

#12 Madnesscraves

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

OP, your OB know what he's doing. If you're not happy with the care he's giving, get a second opinion from another OB.

But STBG seems right in what she's saying. When my DD was born (for different reasons to yours) I spent a good year being angry I had a c/s. it wasn't until recently I realised my OB knew what she was doing. She even was willing to let me try induction before c/s but DD was too weak to do it.

Point being OP, I'd discuss this with a professional, not EB original.gif

#13 Mianta

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I agree with everything fairy magic said, my midwife mind is imagining that this was probably a asynclitic OP baby, in other words a position that can indeed lead to an obstructed labour.

Unfortunately, once you go into hospital, you are "on the clock", particularly if you have had a vaginal birth before. Not to forget that prolonged first and second stage can come with their own risk factors, which is why they do need to intervene at times. We don't always just start synto or recommend epidurals for the fun of it.

OP, the fact is, this may a completely different labour, particularly if the baby is in an optimal position. There is every chance you can do it again. Your ob sounds supportive and it doesn't sound like your c section was performed to suit the ob's timre restrictions. I would start researching how to get the baby in a good position for birth. The spinning babies website is one I always recommend to  antenatal women with OP babies on board.

Best of luck with it all.

#14 Lucygoosey1

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for all the detailed replies.  I don't blame the ob or hospital,  but of course you do wonder if you could have prevented the outcome,  and we'll never know!
I was happy with my ob,  so I will discuss all the above q's.  And look into better positioning etc for the next time around.  I will definitely 'shop' around if he doesn't provide suitable answers.
And I think I should be able to attempt a VBAC,  so we'll see how it goes!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.