Back carrier?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Feral_Pooks

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

DS is 11/12kgs. I'd love a back carrier where he could ride up high and really see what is going on, I think he would love it. Any suggestions?

#2 Le-a

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Have you tried a Manduca or Ergo on your back? DS liked being in the Manduca on our backs at that age.

I was also given a MacPac, which is like one of those hiking baby carrier things, and DS sits quite high in that.

#3 Stoked

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

The Ergo will not be high enough for the baby to look forward over your shoulder, not sure about Manduca.

#4 Froger

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

What I do is either use a mei tai or a long piece of woven cloth, like a dupatta size.

For the mei tai what I do is instead of tying the bottom ties around the waist, tie them ABOVE my breasts. Then put  the baby on my back then pull up the top ties over my shoulders, give a bit of a pull to the ties to get the baby seated nicely in the mei tai then pass the ties over my shoulders, then under (no crossing at front, just straight under my arms), then bring the ties together at the back and over the legs and  tie them under the baby bottom. Baby is nice and high and can look over my shoulder. Google mei tai high back carry.

It may be better to buy or make your mei tai with the top straps that come straight up, rather than at an angle, for this back carry, as the straps needs to go straight up and then under your arms, so kind of like a backpack.

With the dupatta I put the baby in first, by putting him in the middle, spreading the cloth under his bum and up his back, gather the ends together then hoisting him over my shoulder and onto my back. Then I get the two ends and pass then over my shoulders, then under my arms, then tie over his legs and under his bum so he is up high (like the mei tai but without the bottom ties). If the cloth is long enough cross over and bring to the front and tie. I make sure it is tied nice and high, so the baby can see over my shoulder. If you google something like back carry woven wrap you will get the idea.

#5 Cranky Kitten

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Some of the soft structured type carriers (Manduca, Ergo) can be worn slightly higher on the torso to allow baby to see over your shoulder - Manduca is good for this especially.

I do also like a mei tai or woven wrap for a good high back carry, but if you're looking at doing this I'd suggest finding a local baby wearing group and going along to a meet - try http://www.slingmeetsaustralia.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/groups/bwbss/ to find one in your area.

#6 Lokum

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

We had a hiking one which wasnt very comfortable. We tried a katmandu one whih seemed ace but was too exy.
We stuck with the ergo. Even thoughh DS could only see out the sides he was still v happy, made friends on thr train and reached for other peoples snacks. In fact, the snack thing brcame a pr oblem on crowded pubic transport, so i switched back to front wearing.

#7 erindiv

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I had a hiking one when DD was little and it was like trying to carry a very angry pony on my back. It was huge, cumbersome, heavy and DD hated it.

I have heard several people rave about the Ergo.

#8 Froger

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

ARe the hiking ones the ones with the metal frames? I think part of the problem with those ones may be that the baby is held too far out from the body, so you are feeling unbalanced? I don't know, I've never tried them, but to me that just look terribly uncomfortable. I would never use one as I like the baby to be against my body. They seem expensive as well.

IMO much more comfortable, easy and cheap to use a woven wrap or mei tai with a high back carry. I find it very comfortable to carry little children in the mei tai or the wrap with a nice back carry. My kids must find it nice too, because when they were little whenever they get upset they would always ask to go on my back. My toddler still asks all the time to go on my back when he gets sad about something.

#9 Feral_Pooks

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Do you think the really cheap mei tais on eBay would do the job?

...She asks as she contemplates baby carrier number 4 haha.

#10 Feral timtam

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

I've got a Boba carrier (old model).
It's actually more comfortable with DD (12kg) in a back carry than it is with DS2 (6kg) in a front carry!

I like to wear high, and this is the best carrier I've tried. DD can comfortably look over my shoulder when I have her in it. I'm actually considering getting the Boba Air as DH and I fight over who uses the Boba carrier now, he likes using it for DS1 (16kg) in the back carry.

#11 Cranky Kitten

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 28/01/2013, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you think the really cheap mei tais on eBay would do the job?

...She asks as she contemplates baby carrier number 4 haha.

Be very careful with ebay jobs. I'd stick to well reputed brands such as Babyhawk or Maya Tie rather than going with an el-cheapo one, and make sure you thoroughly inspect the stitching especially where straps are joined to the body. Make sure you pull test each strap (I like to put the body of the carrier around a pole and yank HARD on the straps, then lean back with my full weight to make sure they're secure) on any carrier you buy. You seriously don't want to risk a carrier giving way with your baby in it, especially in a back carry.

Good mei tais do come up from time to time at very decent prices on the Buy Sell Swap page too, so it's worth a look there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.