Newborn and toddler
How long did the toddler end up using a pram for?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Kitten

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

So by the time the newby arrives DS will be 22 months. He's been walking since he was about 10.5 months old but at 14 months currently generally prefers to be carried or ride in the pram - I'm trying to teach him that if he wants to walk he needs to hold my hand but well, he wants to go exploring. So I may wind up using the pram or a carrier as a containment device as well. I do plan to babywear quite a bit with the newborn but with a September birth date will have summer to consider fairly early on as well.

So for those who've had similar age gaps, how long did your older child end up needing the pram for? Is it likely to be worth dropping the cash on a double or tandem pram or will the older one be predominantly wanting to walk by then?

#2 strawberry blondes

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

I had an 18 month gap between my 2 youngest and ended up getting the strider plus. I'm so glad i did decide to get it because my middle DD needed to rest quite a bit. Even at 2 and 4 I used it for long walks. I would opt for a pram similar to the strider if i were you so you have the option of it being just a single. DD3 is 3 now and I will be getting a new strider plus for DS and her for long walks (I'm a bit of a speed walker lol) Most single prams these days are just as expensive as doubles so save your back  original.gif

#3 jen88

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

I have a BJCS and love it. Have absolutely needed to have a double. Mine are 19 months and 21 months apart.
My almost 4 yr old will still go in the pram if tired.
I have a skateboard attachment now so it can be a single or can be for all 3.
I also have a bjorn to carry the baby when needed.

It totally depends on your child though (obviously) and the places you go etc.

#4 HeroOfCanton

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

DD was 24 months when DS arrived, and she was an 'explorer' too - still is. I often have the pram for her (BJCS) when we got out, with either the skateboard or second seat on it, mostly for containment. She's also a painfully slow walker unless she's running, so a pram is just easier for us to get around unless we're in a leisurely mood!

I imagine we'll be needing at least the skateboard for another 6 months, until she learns to stay with me if I stop walking for more than 4 seconds!

Edited by HeroOfCanton, 27 January 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#5 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

I'll have a 21 month gap between my two and have bought a Mountain Buggy Duet. It's one of the narrowest side by side prams on the market and fits through normal doorways.

I thought about wearing one child and having one in the pram and then  swapping them around, but in the end I think it will be too hard.

You can also buy a skateboard attachment at doubles as a mini scooter for when the toddler is older.

I think a pramis good for containing them and if you have to do anything quickly, or if you want to exercise sometimes it can be hard to carry and push at the same time.

#6 michie0moo

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

DD1 was 26 months when DD2 was born, we managed without the double for a little while but quickly decided it was worth it. She is now 31 months and still goes in the BJCS. Fantastic if I'm out and about and she needs a nap. Great in summer when baby wearing gets a bit hot.

#7 Lyn29

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#8 bikingbubs

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

My DS was 19 mopnths when DD arrived.  Now at 22 months there is still no way he is anywhere near ready for me not needing a double pram.
I have a bjcs (which is great as i can use all different combos depending what kids i have with me).  I also have a MB duo that stays setup for walking at home.

#9 elle-M

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

My DS was 17 months when DD arrived, I bought a Baby Jogger summit double pram which is for walking/jogging (not for shopping centres as far too big).

To be honest I hardly went to shopping centres when they were both that small, and I have an ergo carrier so that worked for DD and DS went in the pram if I had to.

My almost 2.5 y/o definitely still needs the pram for our daily walks (5km+), and I now have a buggy board for my city mini for if we go to the shops and he gets tired (rarely).

#10 Cranky Kitten

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Interesting to know - I'm not keen on the buggy boards (even though we already have one) because I'm quite tall and already kick the back of the pram that we have with just about every step unless I'm concentrating on it - which drives me nuts.

We've looked at the BJCS and it's looking like being the front runner so far, so good to hear a lot of people like them and we should get a good few years use out of it.

#11 Ehill

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

I had a double stroller.  My age gap was bigger than yours so DD did walk quite a bit BUT I would highly recommend having a double.  We walked a lot when DS was born (more than DD) as it was just easier with two small ones to walk than get them in and out of the car.  

Even now DD is nearly 4 and we still take the double stroller for big days out.  We went to the zoo recently and it is a lifesaver to have a seat for the older one to rest in.  My handbag sits in DD's seat most of the time but it is no big deal to have it.

#12 tamjk

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I have a 23 month gap between my older two and an 18 month gap between the younger pair.
To be honest, I only used the double when I was pregnant with my third, I prefer to use a carrier when they are little.

My oldest turns 4 in April, often we don't use a pram at all these days. My middle child who turns 2 in March doesn't like being in the pram at all and I'm very rarely out long enough to warrant taking a pram for her to have a nap in.

#13 stardust81

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I had a 22 month gap, and now they are 1 and almost 3, and I still use the double pram. Although quite capable and happy to walk, DS1 is still prone to running off at times so needs restraining. I just find it easier original.gif I have a BJCS too and it has been well worth the money.

Edited by stardust81, 28 January 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#14 TheRedWoman

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

There is 15 months between my two youngest and I have loved my BJCS. I still get heaps of use out of it as my almost 3yo dd is pure chaos and still cannot be trusted to hold hands. My 20month old son is much easier to control and I would choose him to walk with on foot over the older one anytime. I have a surprise baby due in August so I'm praying that the 3yo settles down before then.

#15 Pup-pup

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

I also have the BJCS which has been fabulous.  I have an 18mth gap and am still using it for my 18mth old & 3 year old.  My just 3 year old can walk a lot of the time, so am thinking I'd like a stroller now,  but still would use the BJCS a lot.  We also have a buggy board,  but my DD1 prefers the seat.  

#16 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

You will need a double pram.  No question.

I have a 16 month gap between mine and absolutely I still need a double pram.   I've also got my original single pram and a skateboard so can choose which will work best for what I'm doing.  My daughter is 3 in April but if I've got lots of things to do at the shops or want to go for a long walk, she's happy to be in the pram.

The skateboard is a bit of a pain as you have to kind of walk to the side of the pram but she loves it!  Not my favourite.

I have a single MB Swift and a double BJ city mini (had a BJCS but found it too long and flogged it on eBay).

#17 LoveMy3Kids

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

I had a 2yr 7mth age gap between DD1 and DD2 and then a 2yr 2mth gap between DD2 and DD3. We bought a Phil & Ted's for DD1 when DD2 was born and had to kick her out of it when DD3 was born. She was then 4 but still preferred the pram to walking. She was also a runner, so safer that way.

I ended up selling the P&T just so I could get DD2 walking more. She's now almost 5 and most of the time she's in the stroller and DD3 is walking. (DD2 has hypermobile joints so tires easily).

I think you will get plenty of use out of an inline pram that can be a single or double. I was told that the BJCS was heavy when the toddler was sitting at the front, so you might want to try that out when test driving prams. The woman who told me was the sales assistant who had sold her own P&T to get a BJCS and regretted the decision as it's not as easy to steer.

I had a 2yr 7mth age gap between DD1 and DD2 and then a 2yr 2mth gap between DD2 and DD3. We bought a Phil & Ted's for DD1 when DD2 was born and had to kick her out of it when DD3 was born. She was then 4 but still preferred the pram to walking. She was also a runner, so safer that way.

I ended up selling the P&T just so I could get DD2 walking more. She's now almost 5 and most of the time she's in the stroller and DD3 is walking. (DD2 has hypermobile joints so tires easily).

I think you will get plenty of use out of an inline pram that can be a single or double. I was told that the BJCS was heavy when the toddler was sitting at the front, so you might want to try that out when test driving prams. The woman who told me was the sales assistant who had sold her own P&T to get a BJCS and regretted the decision as it's not as easy to steer.

#18 sophiasmum

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I walk everywhere, I don't drive, & all of mine needed the pram until around age 3.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.